Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tgent
Sep 6, 2011

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

Although I just got the poise ring, tossed on a mixture of Leather, Chainmail, the armor the Cape Knights use, and the Boar's Head. Hollow Soldier Shield + Drake's Sword made that boss a loving cakewalk.

I had a similar setup (base Knight armour with Boar's Head, Tower Kite Shield + 2 and Drake's Sword) and literally blundered into that room and beat it first try. Perhaps being level 25 made it too easy? I'm not sure what level I'm supposed to be here.

On another note, is it wise for me to be using my titanite shards on upgrading my shield? Should I be doing a weapon instead? I can't find anything much on google about reinforcing the shields.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011
If you don't intend to farm souls is it still worth it to buy the forest key? I just finished the depths and am carefully considering what to do with my 25000 souls.

edit: also, if you die as a white phantom do you lose your souls/humanity?

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011
Can I screw myself over by giving embers to the wrong blacksmith? I've been giving them to the guy in undead parish...

Also, as a heavy knight character who's been putting points into strength, vitality and endurance, should I have a projectile weapon? If so, what, and what stats should I improve to use it. I'm concerned I might be stuck on some later bosses if they don't come within melee range.

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011
Is there any reason to not consume the regular souls you come across? I know to keep the Boss souls around so you can make a weapon out of them or whatever, but what about the regular ones? Do they have some other use later on?

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011
Holy poo poo. I think I just hosed up. After the second bell I went through an illusory wall and killed one of the guys with eggs on his back and he started going on about how I'd betrayed him or something. What have I done here?

edit: and now I have a blobby thing on my face. Damnit.

Tgent fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Oct 9, 2011

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011

evilalien posted:

Go get yourself absolved unless you don't care about that covenant.

I talked to the Spider chick just after that and I still got the option of joining, and I got my estus flask reinforced too. Maybe the guy that lets you in doesn't matter?

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011

evilalien posted:

I guess not. That guy sells some nice spells though so if he is still around you might want to make him friendly again. He also sells egg cures, but I guess that doesn't matter since he drops some if you killed him anyways.

Killed him, unfortunately. Should have backed off but I panicked since he was doing a lot of damage. I guess he'll reappear on a NG+ if I ever get to that?

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011

Sankis posted:

I'm on my way out of blighttown. According to the strategy guide, there should be a whip at the highest level of the circular room . I'm in there and don't see it anywhere. Is this a mistake or am I looking at the wrong spot?

It's not on the highest level, you have to drop down from the highest level though. If you look down you should see it glowing on a platform.

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011

Thievery posted:

I stabbed Queelag in the rear end and got killed instantly. What.

That was probably her AOE attack. She stops for a moment before doing it and it can look like a good opportunity to get some hits in.

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011
After Ceaseless Discharge I beat a bunch of Taurus Demons. There are some goodies in the lava next to where they were, can I get these without burning to death? I've got a bunch of souls I'd really rather not leave in the middle of a lava pool.

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011
Will I get my large shards back if I downgrade a weapon?

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011
Is it worth upgrading the lightning spear or should I save my titanite chunks for a weapon with better base damage? Basically I'm asking how rare titanite chunks are.

Also, I asked this before but didn't get an answer I don't think: Do you get back your upgrade materials when you downgrade a weapon?

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011
I'm level 50 and seem to have a lot of choices of what to do next. Anor Londo, New Londo Ruins, Catacombs, Sif, Valley of the Drakes, whatever that hollow place is called and also the area after Ceaseless Discharge. Any suggestions?

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011
How am I supposed to get past the Stack of rocks with the ladder next to it in Sen's Fortress. It seems like there's supposed to be some secret here, but I can't figure it out. I've finished everything else in this level. Also, what happened to that knight that was hanging around here? I can't find him anywhere now.

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011
Has it been confirmed that increasing strength gives faster weapon attacks? If so, is this for every weapon, or just certain ones, and does it occur every level, or just at certain milestones?

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011
Does reinforcing a weapon ever improve scaling? Someone earlier in the thread said it did but I've upgraded weapons to +10 and haven't seen it yet.

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011
I killed lautrec and died at the same time. I guess I'm screwed out of getting his armour?

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011
Need a hint for the New Londo Ruins: I walked through the white fog into a tower with a spiral stair going downwards. It ends in blackness, and if I jump off I die. I can't leave through the fog and I have quite a cache of souls. What am I supposed to do here?

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011

Kild posted:

Equip the ring you get from Sif

Didn't beat Sif yet. Goodbye souls I guess :v:.

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011
How am I supposed to go up in the hollow without warping or using a homeward bone? Just before the two ladders there's a tiny ledge that my guy just will not go over. I've tried rolling and jumping, and this is definitely the way I came down. I don't even want to get back to the bonfire, just a little higher to try getting an item again. Another issue with this area is when you try to get to the ledge that leads to the crystal lizards its really easy to get stuck in the geometry. Had to waste a homeward bone there too.

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011

Almost Smart posted:

The Bed of Chaos fight is one of the most infuriating, poorly designed pieces of poo poo in a game chock full of infuriating, poorly designed pieces of poo poo. I either get slapped to death, slapped into a hole, roll over the side of the loving branch, and then there's my personal favorite. FIFTEEN loving TIMES I've attempted this goddamn thing, and the one time the stars align and I make it under him, WHOOO poo poo, UNBLOCKABLE INSTA-DEATH FIRE EXPLOSION. BET YOU DIDN'T SEE THAT ONE COMING, human being.

I just finished this boss, and yeah, it's loving dumb. My annoyance was that there doesn't seem to be any consistency in being able to block the sweeping attacks. When I made it under him he did the fire attack but it somehow missed me. Took about 7 tries to get to that point.

Tgent fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 22, 2011

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011
poo poo. I didn't notice the bonfire at the end of the game so I just walked out the door, and apparently that's enough for me to choose to become a dark lord. Whoops. Didn't play Demon's Souls (only have a 360) but this is now one of my all time favourites. Shame about Lost Izalith, though I didn't even mind that too much, was just a bit irritating killing all those dinosaurs or whatever the hell they were.

Now for NG+, I guess. Or maybe a new character entirely...

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011
Why am I stuck in Darkroot Forest in the area beyond the crest door? I went in and now I'm being periodically invaded and the fog wall at the door never goes away.

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011
Anyone remember how to get the item on the guy hanging out of the wall near where the elevators drop down to in Sen's Fortress? I'm sure I got it the first time through but I can't remember how.

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011

lohli posted:

Do you mean the snake item drop rate ring? I think you need to make it up to the top of the fortress to be able to get it, but when you head back down, follow the path of the second boulder obstacle all the way down, to where stuff should drop down into a pit, this is right next to where you find the mimic with the lightning spear.

The pit should be full of boulders stacked up, and any remaining boulders should continue over them, through the wall to where the ring is.

Ah, that makes sense. I deliberately skipped the ring because I already had it, and I hadn't realised those two areas were adjacent. Very easy to get confused with all the twisting passages in this game.

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011
How the hell do I get the advanced pyromancy trainer to appear? I'm on NG+, she was there first time around, and now she's gone. I've gone away to do other things about 4 times now and now I'm about 3/4 of the way through the game and she's still not showing up. I've killed Queelag, of course, and Ceaseless Discharge. I've sent Laurentius down to blighttown, and then Killed his hollow form. Still nothing. Tried Googling and can't find an answer. Anyone have any tips?

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011

YorexTheMad posted:

The guide lists her conditions to appear as "Own a Pyromancy Flame +10 or higher" and "Have not completed Lost Izalith". It sounds like her appearance is somewhat more inconsistent than that, however.

Hmm, I have an ascended Pyromancy Flame, but I also have an unascended +0 flame. Maybe that confuses it.

I have 200k souls and want to fully upgrade my flame :(.

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011
Is there anything that has S scaling for strength? I've been looking but no luck yet.

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011

Dominic White posted:

A large part of the reason I picked the PS3 over the 360 version was because they're more actively able to patch things. Good to know that this much-needed update will be live tomorrow, and not whenever someone feels like certifying it.

Wasn't the first patch out earlier on the 360? What happened there? Or am I just misremembering that...

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011

Red Crown posted:

If you try to do too many actions at once, the input will roll over and die for a few seconds. It's most notable as a caster if you shoot a spell while you have your shield up, try to take a drink from your flask while you have your shield up or attempt to backstab with the shield up. Your character won't execute the action for at least a couple of seconds under certain conditions.

Wasn't this fixed in a patch?

e: That is, if it's that thing where you attack with your shield up, then input stops working and the shield drops, then you panic and hit shield again only to have the original attack executed at the worst possible time. I seem to remember seeing that listed as fixed in patch notes a while ago.

Tgent fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

Here's how you do it.

Step 1: Buy wired xbox controller.
Step 2: Plug in wired xbox controller.
Step 3: Use wired xbox controller.

shazam

I was about to link to the cheap wireless receiver on dealextreme for those who want to use a wireless xbox controller but they don't seem to be there anymore :(. I got mine from there about a month ago and it works perfectly. I don't think Microsoft even make them anymore and when they did they were like 50 bucks, instead of about 10.

• Locked thread