Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Just started this on the recommendation of friends. Still in the undead town; seems the more I play the worse I get. I lose patience and start slashing.

Love how SOLID everything feels though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Newbie question but how do I deal with the firebomb guys? I'm playing a pyro but my fireballs don't have enough range and I don't have the stats for the shortbow yet.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

BigLeafyTree posted:

If you sprint down the walkway they're guarding they can't hit you. Problem is the next room has a couple of guys in it, and if you're new taking them all on at the same time might be rough. Do you have any Throwing Knives hanging around? You can pull the dudes in the room out one at a time and then sprint down the walkway once it's clear. You could also run into the room and focus on backstabbing them because it makes you invincible for the duration of the animation.

Got it, thanks! Been consistently making it to the boss but keep dying. I love the blocking and fights, but is it normal to spend a day just getting past the second checkpoint?

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Killed Taurus, got no loot, and got roasted by a dragon's breath. Now I'm back at square one.

EDIT: Didn't expect the boss to stay dead. I assume he'll respawn somehow.

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Feb 25, 2012

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

So I'll never get that bosses loot?
I ran out of arrows trying to get the dragon sword, and I killed the merchant. But at least I'm past my first of many frustrating bits.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

My connection is too slow for co-op.

Yesterday I was ready to return the game. Today I can't stop thinking about it. It's the best 3D Castlevania game we're likely to get.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

EC posted:

w
I think you can only invade people at a higher level than you.

Really? I only have like 1mb down and usually SAB is taking up
Half that through they day, and it works fine for me. I've actually been pleasantly surprised at how well it works, problems with summoning phantoms aside.

My XBox said I couldn't connect. I use a 3G phone connected to my PC for Internet. Seriously, there's no way I can play online.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Sorry for all the newbie questions, but should I just restart to get the Drake Sword? Googling around it looks like I need it to get past the early part of the game, though apparently the patch makes the arrow glitch impossible? Either way, the merchant's dead because I read a dodgy guide that said to kill him to get a katanna.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Barudak posted:

What weapon are you using? How far are you? What is your build? If you have to have the Drake Sword you can likely get it off of him by using Gold Pine Resin and slashing his tail when he lands on the bridge.

I just killed the boar. I haven't really planned my build at all (I'm horrible at math). I'm playing a Pyromancer, and I'm using a generic spear and shield.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Slashed off the dragon's tail and got my drake sword!

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Umberger posted:

It's actually a lot easier to do this than you would think. If you wait in the bridge alcove at the side with the staircase (the side closest to the dragon, on the right facing him) he will eventually jump down. If you two hand your weapon you can just spam attacks on his tail and get it in one go. Using Gold Pine Resin makes it just that much quicker.

I did it one-handed, since I literally cannot figure out how to two-hand my weapon (I'm on an XBox 360). Waited at the alcove, then ran to the right toward him. Applied Gold Pine Resin to my axe and slashed him three times. Got it on the second try.

I actually got the tip from the GameFaqs message board, of all places. Worked perfectly. Then I farmed souls until I could hold the Drake Sword one handed. Now I'm stuck at work all day planning out what I'm going to do. Try and kill the lightning shooting thing? Kill some animate trees? Look for the elevator?

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

I suck at math. Can somebody recommend a basic build that won't screw me over? Like if I put my points into Endurance/Strength/Dex plus my pyromancy thing?

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Category Fun! posted:

Another thing to keep in mind is that your movement/dodge speed is governed by how heavy your equipped items are. If your equipped items are under 25% of your total equip load you'll move the fastest, between 25% and 50% is medium speed and over 50% is slowest. You can find a ring fairly early on (If you're good enough to kill the guy wearing it) that will double your equip load, so if you want to wear heavier armour you'll need it.

I realise that this doesn't help if you suck at math, but generally try to keep your weight under half of your maximum!

I was doing this yesterday before my dragon run and yes, I needed to use my calculator. Ground endurance until I could actually move fast enough to kill it.

I usually play Bayonetta style dodgers, so I think I'll try for a heavily armored knight.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

You can also hit light attack after a backstep to do a lunging attack (usually just the running attack), but I've never found a use for the backstep.

It makes the game that much more like Castlevania: SOTN. And you can back just outside of the range of an enemies attack, then stab them. Unless I'm playing wrong.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Sheep-Goats posted:

V 20
A 14
E 20
S 16
D 14
R base
I 14
F 12

Get the strength first, then the attunement. Bump you vit and endurance a bit. Then the faith and buy heal. Then the intelligence so you can use Dusk's utility spells. Polish off the dex and round off vit / end. From there you can branch out as you like. The most generic choice would be to get Strength to 24 (for the zweihander) and then pump vitality and endurance to 40.

For your second character you can specialize a bit more, usually to gain a little ground in pvp. The stats I outlined above will let you use a huge variety of weapons and spells and is plenty to get you through NG. For a weapon suggestion I'd say a lightning claymore is probably the most versatile and therefore possibly best pvm weapon in the game.

Thanks! Only change I'll make is bumping Dex to 16 so I can use the Winged Spear.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Keep trying to kill Havel The Rock for his sweet ring; I get the sense I'll need it if I don't want to pour all my souls into Endurance. He's pretty annoying so far.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

The Betrayer posted:

PATIENT AS ALL HELL STRATEGY: Get his attention, run to the door to the tower. Not the door you have to unlock with the Master Key early on, the door right in front of that where the Undead Soldier pushed the flaming barrel down at you. Wait there and step in just enough to draw him into attacking. Hit him a few times then back away: He's programmed to come after you the second you enter the tower, but 9 times out of 10, he will back away if you exit it. Wait for him to attack, hit him once or twice, and then back away.

BALLA AS ALL HELL STRATEGY: Parry the bastard. No, I'm not joking.

I'm going with 'get in close, strafe left' but I'll try parrying if it kills him in one hit.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Ohhh those spells look tasty and cheap. Would I screw myself out of something if I at least pick up Soul Arrow? or is it redundant since my fireball is so powerful?

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

I accidentally aggroed the sorcery trainer. Any way to make him friendly?

I also killed a guy in a pot in the same room. Was that the Pyromancy trainer? Am I screwed?

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Mar 1, 2012

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Is it worth spending all those souls to reset the sorcerer?

Turns out I didn't kill the pyro; he appears after the Capra Demon apparently.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Zaark posted:

If you haven't killed the sorcery trainer, you can run to Oswald of Carim (the guy in the church tower after the gargoyles) and he can absolve your sins and that should reset your aggro with NPCs.

Edit: Was the guy you killed in a barrel in the Depths? That's probably the pyromancy tutor I'm afraid. If he talked (or threw fire spells at you) that's probably the big giveaway). If you really wanted to make a pyromancy build early you may just want to restart but otherwise you can get through the game pretty easily without him.

Edit 2: vvvv I'd say it's worth it just because it will be a hassle if you do it later (and might be more expensive) and souls are easy enough to come by.

I'm in Lower Undead Burg, so that wasn't the Pyro trainer. I am playing a pyro, and the only sorcerer spell I was planning on picking up is soul arrow, so I might just kill him.

I'm alternating between getting killed by Havel and getting killed by Capra, but I know after a good rest I can take Capra.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Read posted:

You can buy soul arrow from a vendor available at the start of the game (right near Firelink Shrine) IF you took the Master Key as your starting gift / started as a thief. Just take the elevator down to New Londo and then hug the right side till you find stairs going down. The guy you thought you killed in a barrel was a dead corpse lying in it, it dropped the sorcerer set + a catalyst, right?

Yep! And I have the master key. I wasn't planning on upgrading INT, so I'll just kill the sorcerer trainer for his ring.

I wish I had a good connection so I can play multiplayer.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Umberger posted:

Some guy drew the bosses, spoilers if you haven't seen them all I guess: http://imgur.com/a/MzyWy

Seath one is pretty great. Also does anyone know if there's a way to buy the OST without getting the CE? I really don't feel like spending $90+ to buy a CE off some dude on eBay, and it doesn't appear to be available as a physical copy on its own/on the iTunes store. Let me give you my money From. :argh:

Where are you located? I bought the CE for $60 Australian from EB Games. Used, but it came with the artbook and the CD. Same price as a normal copy.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Umberger posted:

US. I was under the impression that the OST came in the CE via a download token, and I'd rather not chance that, especially at $60. Also as much as I like this game I don't know that I would spend $60 for the OST.

It came as a CD tucked in the artbook. and $60 Australian isn't that bad; for comparison a new copy of Skyrim goes for $90 here

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

One more stupid newbie question: Do I need to worry about durability? Can my weapons break permanently?

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Are any of those sorceries worth the 10,500 souls it'll cost me to get Absolved? I'm going with 'no', especially since I can buy Light from someone else.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Gaping Dragon is giving me way too much trouble for what should be an easy boss. I beat Capra and the Bell Gargoyles easily but I've already used up all my humanity and I still can't beat this guy. Might bypass him with the Master Key.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Drop down a summon sign and assist other people at beating him. It's a risk free humanityfarm while you get to check out how the boss attacks and such.

I can't play online.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

gently caress I accidently deleted my saved game. Played for 16 hours. Did all that stuff. And I somehow, without meaning to, deleted my saved game.

I'm just numb. gently caress gently caress gently caress.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Ratios and Tendency posted:

You probably just misclicked a save notifier and have gone into "nosave/load mode". Quit to dash and reload and it should be fine.

edit:vvvvvv yes.

You were right, thanks. And thanks for everyone's patience in this thread.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

This is just absurd. I somehow killed the woman who upgrades your Estus Flask. I didn't even notice doing it! And she was behind bars!

EDIT: It's a story thing. Got it.

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Mar 4, 2012

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Wow, the Gaping Dragon was harder than I thought it would be on a melee character. Probably wasn't helped along by Solaire and Lautrec being terrible at fighting him.

On the upside, Dragon King Greataxe! :woop: This thing's probably a piece of poo poo, but I don't care!

I got the Dragon King Greataxe and a Dragon Greatsword but I finally gave up on killing the Gaping Dragon. Ended up wandering into Blighttown Swamps. Got cursed, joined the Dragon Covenant... I am not looking forward to the trip back to Firelink. On the bright side, the spider girl seems pretty easy.

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Mar 4, 2012

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Gaping Dragon I felt was sort of the opposite of Demon Firesage - with Demon Firesage, the big problem is that you don't have much places to run, making it easy for him to corner you. Whereas Gaping Dragon ends up being a piece of cake once your ealize that the room itself almost gives you too much room to maneuver; Most of the room is completely safe. Solaire and Lautrec jsut confused me because they don't understand the concept of backing off.

It's not very good from what I can tell. You drop down an invasion sign, functionally identical to the Red Summon Soapstone. Whoever wins the ensuing fight gets a Dragon Scale, which can either be used to upgrade Dragon stuff or to progress in the Covenant.

Dragon Covenent gives you a stone that gives you a dragon head and let's you breathe fire. At 30 dragon scale you can turn into a dragon.

The trip was so pretty I think it was worth it.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

blackguy32 posted:

I killed the gargoyles, but not the spider lady yet. But yeah, im stuck in the valley of the drakes right now. What items should I be looking for?

There are three items being guarded by a sleeping dragon. I assume those are the items that were meant. Grab them, and then you'll probably die. If you walk out onto the ledge toward the Firelink Shrine, you'll see a wooden bridge. Run past the barbarians. If you run past them and dash down all the ladders and the waterwheel, you'll end up at a bonfire. Explore the swamp to find the spider woman.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Ledneh posted:

And rejoice that by taking this route you skipped the rest of the poo poo hole known as Blighttown.

(You think the framerate issues you'll start to suffer in the swamp are bad? Ooohhh boy.)

Apparently you should also pick up that gross-sounding Pyromancy that covers you in sweat if you've saved the pyromancy trainer. It should protect you from the spider's firebending. I'll test it once I get out of this tree.

I will go back and kill the Gaping Dragon, though. I beat Arkham City. I know how to avoid bosses so they run into a wall and then get stunned.

Any loot that is ESSENTIAL to get in the rest of Blighttown?

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Fargin Icehole posted:

The Eagle shield is actually very much worth it with upgrades. At +15 it would have the same stability as Havel's greatshield (84), and that is very good considering Eagle weighs 6.0, and havel's is 26.0 with a 50 STR req.

If you want to block physical hits every day, and still move like lightning, that's what you should go for.

This is exactly what I want to do! So I also need to get some ninja ring in Blighttown, I think. But I'll do that when I'm at a higher level.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

That Rough Beast posted:

I found Upper Blighttown a LOT less painful than lower, really. If you bring some moss from the trees in Darkroot, you'll be able to kill the toxic guys, and the loot is well worth it (rolled with the Eagle Shield from that point on). I didn't even really get the bad slowdown until I hit the horrible poison swamp at the bottom. That said, once you get that poo poo you absolutely will not EVER go back.

I love trying to sort out bits of backstory from the setting. If you look from a high place, you'll see there's a huge network of massive walls extending into the distance below the Firelink Shrine, forming these weird little artificial valleys. Blighttown is only in the nearest of these, so God only knows what lies beyond. I got some idea that these might have been barriers before the Kiln of the First Flame, but I'm not sure why.

Dark Souls is one of the few games that really captures the feel of the old fantasy I like, the mysterious Lord Dunsany/Micheal Moorcock style stuff. Why is there a hollow tree leading to an ocean guarded by a hydra and leading to an ancient, friendly dragon? I don't know, and I don't WANT to know. I don't need a million pages of lore. I enjoy getting tantalizing hints from item descriptions and architecture.

The only other games that really do that well are Shadow of the Colossus, Nier, and some of the Zelda and Castlevanias.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Ledneh posted:

And really the amount that you CAN figure out is quite large--at least it was in Demon's Souls, I haven't really gotten all :spergin: on the Dark Souls lore yet seeing as how I haven't even beaten the sodding thing yet, but it sure feels like it has the same high amount of material out there.

It amazed me, for example, when I started reading about Maiden Astraea after I beat world 5-3 and was like 'wtf?'. A practically complete (and sort of sympathetic, or perhaps pitiable) picture of a character with a half dozen lines of dialogue, drawn from almost nothing but a bunch of off hand dialogue comments and item descriptions.

It's a weird writing style but I love it :)

Looting the Firekeeper's body and finding out that they were 'the clothes of a maiden, only stained with soot' was chilling. Or finally getting to the Blighttown Swamps and realizing my Pyromancer must have grown up around these firebreathing bugs, which is where he learned pyromancy.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

When should I start weaning myself off the Drake Sword?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I would say by the time you hit Blight Town you should have something else. What are your stats? Upgrading weapons is very powerful in this game, by the time you finish the Depths you can take weapons to +10 which should outclass the Drake Sword.

If you really really don't want to for whatever reason (or want to save your upgrade materials), you get a weapon in Sen's Fortress that is much better for free.

VIT 20 END 20 STR 16 DEX 14 INT 10 FAITH 8

I can't tell the difference between Blightown Swamps and the nightmares I get from living in a bug infested apartment, though most Australian spiders are larger than the ones in-game.

• Locked thread