Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Well I done hosed up and I descended my main weapon. I tried talking to the blacksmith to re-ascend it or at least upgrade it more. It wouldn't give me the option to ascend/upgrade it. Is this axe just a hunk of metal now or is there some way I can re-ascend it?

Edit: I'm an idiot. Just had to talk to the first blacksmith.

Bumper Stickup fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jan 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Alright. I apologize for bothering with the questions. I'm in Anor Londo and the Giant Blacksmith and he's refusing to upgrade my axe. I have the required souls and the required materials but when I try to upgrade the axe it says "Not enough materials." Is there some way around this or is my axe just gonna stay at it's current level?

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
See I tried pvp but I was pretty put off when my lag was so terrible for some reason that I got backstabbed in the middle of a roll.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Awesome Animals posted:

Oh my god, if Blighttown isn't the most stressful thing in this game. Between the framerate, and the narrow paths and the dart shooters, I don't know if I can get through it. I may be stuck at the first bonfire there for eternity.

I have a seething white hot hatred for Blighttown. Yeah, I got past it and am currently on my way to murder the four kings, but I am still pissed a Blighttown. I'm not even sure I'll even playthrough the game again just because of Blighttown.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

ChibiSoma posted:

Ornstein/smough stuff.

I'll admit, I agree that O+S is a bullshit the most bullshit fight in the game. However, if you still have the iron golem's soul then a pretty easy way to put em in their place is to use the 1 hand heavy on that and throw air at them all game. Doubly so if you bring along Solaire for jolly good adventures.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Wait, you can cheese the Ceaseless Discharge? I didn't even know that was possible. I just kinda ran up and beat it in the face first time I met it. Figured it was just an overgrown mini boss.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Tried my hand at pvp today using the ambush method. It's amazing just how many people run around in heavy gear and not pay attention to the environment. Chameleon is just so much fun to use as an ambush set up. Combined with the Gravelord Sword and your choice of force, grave sword dance, or acid mist, people just kinda drop left and right.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

SagatPunisherFanFic posted:

Haha I'm wearing the same thing with the gargoyle helmet. I'm almost ashamed of the fun I have playing dress up in this game.

Virtual dress-up is amazingly fun in any game. :colbert:

Also, is it possible to parry ornstein before he goes into super ornstein?

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Good lord the Four Kings are an outright bastard to kill on a low level character. I tried using that Beatrice lady but she didn't do any good. She never even got agro. Any tips on dodging their explosion attack? I tried backing up away from it but it either ends with me still being close enough or catching a mass of homing magic up the rear end from one of the other kings.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Why the gently caress aren't there any goddamn summon signs in New Londo Ruins? Do people just do the Four kings and never bother going back?

Edit: You know what? gently caress the four kings and gently caress trying to join the dark wraiths at a low level. Sick of going at them with a different weapon or some pine resins, only to have them go into hyper aggressive mode because I'm trying something other than "Bash them in the face." And I'm doubly sick of summoning with beatrice only to have her either die from the fall down or not do anything the entire fight.

Bumper Stickup fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Feb 7, 2012

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

ChibiSoma posted:

Ah crap. You know, I feel bad when I die when someone's assisting me on a boss. Even if it's the last boss of the game and I die due to a dumb game mechanic that shouldn't exist. Feels like I'm wasting their time and I don't like that.

It was that damned input problem again. Gwyn was stuck walking backwards for some reason, so we rocked him down from full health to about 1/4. He came out of the buggy pattern really suddenly and got two clean hits in on me. I panic, hold LB to block any further shots, and mash B to roll the hell away to heal. I must've hit X too soon, because my dude just stood there as I came out of the roll and Gwyn ran up and skewered my rear end. I knew I was hosed when I didn't go into the healing animation, too.

The other guy was a pretty awesome-looking Pyromancer. Dunno if I've seen the armor and shield he was using, it looked cool as hell, though. Here's to you, Pyromancer dude, sorry it ended in comical failure! If your name hadn't been too long to remember I would've PMed you to apologize properly! Ah well...

You can look right in your "Players recently met" tab, select his name from there, and pm.

I'm still struggling along with the four kings. I've died so much that I've run out of transient curses. Now when I enter the fog gate there's a 50/50 chance I'll get stabbed in the rear end via dark wraith thrusting through the fog to hit me. Really beginning to consider re-doing this assassin character. That or just getting rid of her completely.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

SixtySix posted:

What level are you? I roll through 4K like nobody's bidness ;)

I'm level 50. Was trying to join the darkwraith's at a low level so I had less chance of finding people with ridiculous health totals to pvp against. Well, lowish.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

SixtySix posted:

Well I'm level 59. I'll drop a summon sign outside the door to the Abyss in about 15 minutes. Don't forget your ring!

I won't be able to get on till much later. And even then I'll probably have to farm up some humanity first.

Edit: I don't even understand why I'm having so much trouble with em either. I outright murdered them on my strength character with the golem axe. And he was only a couple levels higher than my assassin.

Bumper Stickup fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 9, 2012

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Alright, now that I'm online AND I have humanity to summon people with AND I finally have transient curses to kill ghost's with, could someone help me kill the kings? I'm level 50.

Edit: I'll be near the fog gate if it helps.

Edit2: Nevermind. Someone named punnstar1000 helped me. Wherever you are punnstar, I salute you.

Bumper Stickup fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Feb 9, 2012

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Why does everyone use the same build online? I swear all I ever see are players with ridiculous amounts of health and stamina + heavy armor + a lighting weapon of some sort. Really makes pvp boring and less viable for any other kind of build.

Edit: People disconnecting should not eat my red eye orb goddamnit! :argh:

Bumper Stickup fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Feb 9, 2012

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Yardbomb posted:

Because there's a bunch of people that don't wanna have creative or interesting fights, they just want some cookie-cutter build that gives free/easy wins. Most of the time it's the people in flippy-Giant/Havel + Pinwheel mask, big lightning weapons, TWoP or WoG and all that jazz. These people are still beatable, it's not that, it's just not fun to fight this same boring thing as often as you run into it.

Problem is I set up for an ambush class and it doesn't work at all if people can just take the hit and keep trucking without being staggered.

Edit: Also, gently caress the lag in pvp. Really tired of getting behind someone and hitting them without the back stab, but to have them back stab me via teleporting around me.

Bumper Stickup fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Feb 9, 2012

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
About how prevalent is hacking/cheating in this game? Just fought a guy who I hit, watched his stun animation from the hit, and took no damage. I then proceeded to throw 99 poison darts in him, hit him with two gravelord great sword dances, and beat his face in with three heavy attacks from the gravelord sword, with a stun animation on every hit, and he took no damage at all.

Edit: Make that two.

Edit2: Alright, what the gently caress is up with people in Sen's fortress being immune to everything? No damage from poison, nothing from the bow, magic doesn't hurt em, and simply beating them with my sword AND getting the hit animation doesn't do damage.

Bumper Stickup fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 10, 2012

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Good lord. The uchigatana with a pine resin is just :stare: in pvp.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Rollie the Guar posted:

I take it you've never seen a falchion with darkmoon blade +3, then?

Nope.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
I'm level 53 and I just can't find anyone to pvp with. I've tried standing around to be invaded and and tried invading people but nothing. Where's a good spot to pvp at? I've tried Sen's Fortress, the garden area, anor londo, and the painted world.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Oxxidation posted:

the earliest you can smith elemental weapons will be Anor Londo.

Catacombs. :colbert:

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
I just tried the slumbering dragoncrest ring thing with the mushroom people and they still aggro'd me.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
It's a pain in the rear end finding someone who isn't traveling with a buddy now. So far I've ran into absolutely nobody traveling without a buddy decked out in full heavy gear and wielding some big gently caress off weapon that one shots me. I can't really dodge it either since the guy I invaded normally just circles around backstabs me for a kill.

Edit: Welp, just got backstabbed via hitting me while my character did the cast animation for sword dance. First time that's happened.

Bumper Stickup fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Feb 21, 2012

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Does the bloodshield not have 100% physical reduction damage? It says it does in the stat page but some guy just cut through my shield with and unenchanted katana. I have plenty of defense so it should've blocked it just fine.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

JP Money posted:

Katanas have bleed effect. Isn't that shield independent - especially if you have low bleed resist?

The bleed didn't build up. I've got plenty of bleed resistance so that isn't what bothered me. It was just having the other guy go right through the blood shield is what bugged me.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

The Duke posted:

Anyone in the SL50-60 range want to help me fight O&S? I'll be running around Anor Londo in the meantime farming silver knights but I'll be on for awhile anyway. GT: KR0JAR (that's a zero)

I can try helping in a bit. GT: Offshoretoast. I'll drop my sign near the entrance.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

The Duke posted:

Thanks for the help, also sorry you got one-shot lightning butt stomped and couldn't finish the fight :smith:

edit: also I didn't get a Leo Ring? Do you have to kill Smough first?

Eh, it was my own fault for being all :black101: and trying to stun him with my gravesword. In my defense, I did stun him twice during that fight.

Also, yeah I think smough needs to die first. I would've gone after him but since ornstein was having his poo poo stomped in I figured that's who you wanted dead first.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

cat doter posted:

I'm just glad I only died against smough and ornstein twice and that I'm such a badass it was allll solo baby. :smug:

I'm curious about something, when it got to the part where you get the lordvessel with the huge racked giant god lady, I forget her name (gwyn something?), I did what I as I am want to do in that kind of situation. I pulled out my bow and shot her in the head.

After she dies, some voice just pipes up out of nowhere and says I'm a bad boy and bad things are gonna happen, etc, but I'm wondering if it was just an empty threat.

Nope. You've pretty much pissed off all of Anor Londo and you're marked for invasion by blue phantoms permantly now. Blue phantoms are darkmoon covenant guys.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Category Fun! posted:

Trip Report: Gwyn is not a pussy :stare:

I remember taking on Gwyn the first time. Walked in thinking I was the baddest poo poo on two legs. Revived much more humble.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
If you've got any pyromancy, go in with Iron Flesh. Gwyn doesn't understand how to deal with Iron Flesh yet Flash sweat made him doubly aggressive when I tried to use it on him.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

westcoaster posted:

Wtf, I finish O&S and bring the lord vessel to frampt and he is just sleeping. I don't know what to do next.

Smack him with something. Alternatively, jump down his tomb thing.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Lord of Laughton posted:

I'm finally getting the hand of PvP using my big clunky weapon. Run in, dance around a while, do a horizontal swipe and miss. When he tries to counter attack, parry and riposte. Got a solid 6 souvenirs of reprisal last night like that.

Also soloed 4K on NG last night. For some reason the extra kings that appeared wouldn't attack me until the one I was fighting was dead. Can't complain I guess.

Were you right up on the one you were attacking? Cause there's a bug/feature/whatever in the programing that makes the others not attack if you are right up the one you're attacking the whole time.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Ledneh posted:

If I joined the forest covenant, killed the ninja and shiva for their gear, then talked to alvinia (making her disappear) will she come back and allow me to rejoin if I get absolution?

Also, is O&S still good coop territory at 50?

Depends. I'd be willing to coop with you if my level 58(?) assassin is still summon-able for your level.

Edit: Granted there's a 95% chance of me dying on whatever super form we fight but by god I'll shank em a few times before I do.

Bumper Stickup fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 5, 2012

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Just checked and I'm at level 56 for my assassin. So if anyone needs some help in the soul range I'd be willing to lend some.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Ledneh posted:

Fighting Sif makes me very unhappy :smith:

Am I the only one who's reaction to Sif was:

"Awww look at the big fwuffy puppy."
*Get's smacked with a sword*
"Oh it's on now fucker."

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Ledneh posted:

Anyone who says they didn't feel even the smallest twinge of pity at the end of Sif is a damned liar :colbert:

That thing smacked me with a giant sword. Bitch had it coming. :colbert:

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

actionjackson posted:

You want me to go back to the Depths from Anor Londo? gently caress that, I don't even have the Sen's shortcut open. I pretty much screwed up this whole run by overestimating my ability to get back to my items when I get killed.

Go back there, get at least one humanity, and then come summon me. (GT: Offshoretoast. SL 56) I will not only help with whatever's troubling you, I'll drop a good 10 or so humanities for you. I'm like some sort of humanity santa.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Ledneh posted:

I suppose the fact that the Uchi is enchantable is a point in its favor, too. Which reminds me, what's the most convenient place to find/buy resins until such time as I get around to getting into darkmoon/sunbros and getting my faith high enough to use their respective enchants?

The moss lady in that sewery bit right before you head into undeadburg proper. Toxic and fire resins are what she sells.
Also the whole katana thing, the chaos blade could be an interesting choice. Depends on what you want out of a katana.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Less Fat Luke posted:

Is there some limit to the use of the separation crystal? It seems like when invaders start losing a lot of them just warp home using it.

Nope! I'll admit to using the thing though. I don't generally enjoy getting one shotted from people at an absurdly higher level than me who are traveling with buddies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
I know the axe was the black knight great axe. Don't know about the shield. But yeah, chameleon is the best spell to gently caress with people in pvp with.

Anyway, ran down the depths for some easy humanities to give people and I counted no less than 20 statues of cursed players. :psyduck:

I never realized it was possible to be cursed down there. I mean yeah the frogs can curse you but the curse meter builds up at such a slow pace I figured it was there to threaten you.

• Locked thread