Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Do we know if there's more than one backstab animation this time around? Shanking someone in the spine with a whip is going to feel pretty silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Didn't even finish the tutorial because I was tired / short on time, but I laughed when I found that door after thinking I was supposed to die only to have the same fight happen again.

"Wait, him again? I've got a toothpick for a weapon! WHAT THE gently caress AM I SUPPOSED TO- oh."

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
welp, four humanity points gone because I got riposted by one of the caped knights. This pyromancy poo poo isn't really working out even if the fireball has been carrying me past bosses.

So far I'm a ways into the undead parish after a short and confusing trip through the darkroot basin.

RotationSurgeon posted:

Question, how the hell am I supposed to get back across the dragon bridge with the dragon right there? Because I'm pretty sure it's just gonna roast me.
eventually it jumps down to come after you and you can run past it.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Did I horribly gimp myself by not taking the Master key? It seems crazy not to choose the Thief class.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is it worth restarting a character if you were too stupid to take the Master Key?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
How do you put down messages? Select isn't working for me like in Demon's Souls and I can't rate them either. Mysteriously I keep getting Estus refills out of nowhere as if I'd put one down.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

there is nothing quite like the feeling of elation after beating a boss.
So far the bosses have been fairly easy this time around, at least compared to having to grind past the same five skeleton knights over and over.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Shitpost Gaze posted:

It's pretty awful to fumble and drop your controller, accidentally attacking an NPC in the process. 24,000 souls to go!
I have a trigger discipline grip for my control when near friendly NPCs. Fingers completely on the grips, never touch the shoulder buttons.

kater posted:

I just failed to retrieve my corpse for the first time against the Capra Demon. I totally tried to pull the cord on my xbox just out of instinct or something.

This is where cloud saves from Playstation+ come in handy. I don't want to save-scum this game too much but if I kill an NPC you'd better believe I'm reverting.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 8, 2011

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
What's the supposed point of the graveyard? It's full of skeletons that you have to stunlock or die trying and you don't even get any souls from them.

I finally beat the Capra demon after using the old inaccessible ledge, but it's kind of stupid that nine times out of ten you are getting literally dogpiled into a corner with zero chance on that boss.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

RBA Starblade posted:

It's kind of lovely how failing to invade means you lose your red orb.
It's really silly that they stick all the multiplayer items with merchants some players may miss for a long time or never see, and that invasion items are consumable and require human form. Humanity should have been for bonfires only.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

GaistHeidegger posted:

Finally started getting invaded and it has been pretty hilarious seeing how confused half of these people get when they run into just how tanky my dude is. I had a guy manage to pull off his backstab and only take off 1/5th of my health--while the rest of the time I just doggedly strafe with people behind my shield while poking them safely to death with a jacked up winged spear with fire enchants. I have to assume a lot of these people just don't know what they're doing, but I have yet to come close to dying from an invader so far.
My guy in Demon's Souls was able to survive repeated beatings with a Large Sword of Moonlight until I figured out it penetrated shields, at which point I two-handed Istarelle +5 and killed him in three shots.

ivantod posted:

Seriously gently caress C(r)apra Demon! Whoever came up with this idiocy I would really like to say a few words to. Or rather, gently caress those stupid dogs. I think I died like 30 times and finally had to summon a white phantom for help (that time was actually successful).

A stupid boss is made artificially difficult with camera and geometry issues due to the small room where you have to fight it. Nice going there, guys.

Run up to the top of the stairs, head right until you hit the ledge. Spam projectiles until he manages to get to the top of the stairs, then drop down so he does too. Repeat.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Nigulus Rex posted:

Anyone have any tips for a caster character (sorc)? That was my original character but I stopped because only having one spell at the beginning was a downer for me.
Head for the Undead Burg, ignoring any other areas. Buy the key from the Undead Merchant so you can free the sorcerer who will teach you more spells.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
New Londo Ruins isn't any fun either. It's starting to look like Belfry Gargoyle or bust.

I heard you need to progress far enough in the game to get something that you can "sell" items to? That might be helpful as I'm unable to amass more than 1000 souls without dying and don't want to be farming this early in the game.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Nechronic posted:

The strategy guide loving owns. Get it.
Yeah... no.

I can't believe Google has no answer for where to sell extra items.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
...aaaaaaand Belfry Gargoyle is down. I summoned two people but one warrior with what seemed like limitless fireballs did all the heavy lifting. Blew through the sorcerer, his zombies and both gargoyles like it was nothing. I really wish you could seen the other phantom's load-outs.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Turns out I consumed my first Firekeeper soul by accident (the one from Tower Knight Jr). Time to restart this character?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Elysiume posted:

I hit the wrong button and fell of a ledge, which means my 3 humanity are now lost forever. :negative:
I ate one of the Firelink souls and promptly lost all four of the five humanity it gave me. Quit cryin' before I give you somethin' to cry 'bout.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

gotly posted:

I'm stuck outside of the Undead Church in the Undead Parish. I can't seem to get past the 5 knights without dying to the 2nd or 3rd one. I'm SL 18 and have the Cleric's starting gear mostly. I remember in Demon's Souls that the spear really helped keep me away from enemies. Is it worth buying one in Dark Souls? My current Mace keeps me wide open and vulnerable.
I found two spears before I came to the end of the Undead Parish. Just push through it and you will find one.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

RentCavalier posted:

A.I. exploit glitch to get 6k+ souls in, like, a minute.
Explain.

Edit: Holy poo poo it's the new reaper on 4-2.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Oct 10, 2011

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
At least if they're forced to patch that they can patch Red Eye Stones to be usable when hollow and not consumable.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Having an enemy that you need an expensive / rare item to even fight is really goddamn stupid. If you run out, New Londo Ruins is basically off-limits until you can buy more.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Trynant posted:

Oh, there's another way.

Get cursed by the frogs in the Depths. That gets you the same curse that the item does, so ghosts are hittable again.
Yeah, about those frogs: We had three guys absolutely steamrolling the Depths until I took a wrong turn off a ledge and got cursed and insta-killed before I could even swing my weapon.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Merauder posted:

I haven't even attempted going through the Ruins and ghosts yet. Can anyone estimate about how long one of the Transient Curses lasts when you use it?
I'd say four minutes, and the item greys out until the current use expires. I lost my first one mid-fight and was not happy.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

A Nice Boy posted:

As someone who finally beat Capra last night, here's what I did. Took me about 10 tries. Beat him solo, too.

First, get your estus flasks up to +2. Then, make sure you're using some sort of kite shield that blocks 100 percent of physical damage. Also, don't have lovely endurance...Mine is like 12. Lastly, get the Drake Sword. If you're avoiding it because you want to play honestly or whatever like some people are, gently caress that. The game is hard as poo poo even with the Drake Sword, so it's not like it's ez mode.

First, dash straight forward and right. You absolutely MUST close with him fast because that leaping double sword hit he does will ruin you. Stunlocks you, goes through your shield, dogs will ruin you, etc. If you run up to him, however, he doesn't do that attack, and does some other attack that you can block. Your ultimate goal is to get past him to either the stairs or the back of the room. Then, kill those loving dogs as fast as you can. Keep your shield up and faced toward him, and as long as you're not really far away from him he won't do any attack you can't block.

As soon as the dogs are dead get up the stairs any way you can. Run up to the top of the stairs, then stay at the top until you see him start up the stairs. DON'T Run out onto the landing thingie until he hits the stairs, because if you do he'll do a leaping attack and hit you up there. You want him to be on the stairs before you run over, because at that point he'll follow you up. As soon as he starts getting near the top, drop down, back up a few steps, and wait for him to jump down. When he hits the bottom you have about 2 seconds worth of time to ruin his poo poo. Hit him a few times, DONT GET GREEDY, then hightail it for the stairs. If he follows you, repeat. If he stays below and jumps around like a retard, then do a plunging attack to take off a ton of life. Just be careful with that one...If he's to far forward you'll fall on the inside side of him after hitting him and be trapped in the little alcove, and if he's too far into the alcove you'll miss completely and he'll rape you up the butt while you recover from the fall.

Just be careful and do this. Seriously, 95 precent of this fight is surviving the first five seconds, and you can do that fairly reliably by charging so he doesn't do that crazy rear end attack. Block the first attack he does, move around, kill dogs as fast as possible, then start using the stairs.

Sorry this is so loving long...When I finally killed him last night it was the best YEAH MOTHERFUCKER moment I've had in this game so far. sadlfjsjklsd

Also, only kill him if you don't want to farm the red dragon kills anymore. As soon as I killed Capra, then went back to the bridge, the red dragon self desructed for some reason. :(

... or you can just sit on that ledge with some arrows and magic missiles and only move when he gets halfway up the stairs. It's actually easier to just bolt straight for the ledge and fight the dogs up there.

My red drake disappeared long before that fight. I think if you get underneath him he vanishes.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Good news: Got a Firekeeper soul and used it properly after eating my first one. Found the bonfire in the Depths.

Bad news: Got cursed the hard way, so looks like it's back to Londo! :shepicide:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Getting cursed has actually made New Londo Ruins easier since it takes the time limit off. I event got a Jagged Ghost Blade so now I'll have a weapon of last resort if I ever run out of Transient Curses or don't find a way to skip this place entirely forever.

Can I upgrade this with Fire or Magic damage somehow? Ghosts seem to hate both.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I'm about ready to give up on this game. The entire thing is like 5-2 from Demon's Souls except you don't even get souls through attrition against the cheap enemies. For my last death I entered a room and was killed by five ghosts that came through the floor from all around me, with zero chance of escape or defence. I've been banging my head against a wall for zero gain for almost two hours now, but can't really proceed elsewhere due to this curse.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Oct 10, 2011

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Bobnumerotres posted:

Dude why are you even there? That entire area is optional and a loving hellhole. Grab the firekeeper soul early on and get the gently caress out.
Cursed, and probably dead if I go anywhere else in this state.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Bobnumerotres posted:

I don't even understand how you can get cursed in this game. I fell into that pit with the cursing eye frogs and all you have to do is not stand in the cloud they produce for three hours.

Grind souls, buy a purging stone.
Does that merchant have a finite quantity of those? Can I get into New Londo from the back?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Welp, ground those 6000 souls in the Darkroot Garden (killing the legless demon in the process) and got un-cursed. Now I'm putting my save at the Depths on Playstation+ and/or a USB stick so that doesn't happen again.

NESguerilla posted:

I didn't free him and that is beyond bullshit. This is the most unreasonable crap it kind of wants to make me want to quit.
Good to know. I have seen him off and on and from what I can tell Anastacia is still alive.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The other smith basically spits on it so there's not much choice in the first half of the game.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Elysiume posted:

If you die while assisting, do you lose anything?
As far as I can tell, no. I got mobbed by frogs in the Depths and respawned neither cursed nor having lost any souls.

Biggie Shorty posted:

Holy poo poo. i loving hate that bullshit. Should I just go ahead and take this guy out now?

I feel weird getting all of these tips online-normally these would be major spoilers to avoid but there is so much of this game that I would probably never figure out on my own I can't help it :(
Do you want his armour? If not, kick his loving rear end with internet prescient fury.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

smuh posted:

But the other guy in the place with those gargoyles only wants I think 3000 souls for the curse removal item, doesn't he? Or did you accidentally attack him or something, I know I nearly did since he scared the poo poo out of me just standing there silently.
Apparently you need to kill him anyway, and I'll gladly pay an extra 3000 souls to avoid more surprise Banshee gangbangs than absolutely necessary.

Biggie Shorty posted:

so if I don't Kill him then he'll kill my NPCs and then give me armor later? but if I do kill him then... then My NPCs are safe? but I can't get his armor?
nm I looked it up-crap I may be too late...
I've been in and out of the Depths a bunch of times and only recently upgraded my flask to +1. You might still be OK. That's the only NPC that will be affected.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
It's behind a locked door at the end of the hallway with all the slimes. I forget where I found the key.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Well, I decided to backtrack through the Depths a bit and fight the giant rat, only to take a wrong turn and get cursed AGAIN. I ground through that 6000 souls like it was nothing and found the Darkroot Forest bonfire in the process.

This loving game....

Kneel Before Zog posted:

Anyone disappointed this game doesn't expand on the last ones story? I was hoping to see the broken door in the Nexus expanded upon. Also no Nexus makes me sad.
The broken door or the busted archstone?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I got summoned exactly twice in like 2 hours of having my sign down, once to an idiot who was naked wearing only the Boar Helm named, no joke, xXxMidnightSlayaxXx.

Wait until I find some Tower Shields and you run into "The Hotdog".

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Other than the multiplayer being a complete cluster-gently caress, this game is just mean-spirited in a way that Demon's Souls never was; you can gently caress yourself REALLY easily in a variety of ways and simply have no recourse whatsoever. I have the Future Press guide so luckily I'm aware of all the ways you can get screwed, but someone who didn't have that knowledge is basically boned.
I just read that curses can stack up to four times. I can see how that would make people quit.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Capsaicin posted:

I'm guessing that I don't want to fight that big guy underneath the blacksmith in the Parish? :ohdear:
He drops pretty easily to magic or fire.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I'm already regretting spending one of my two twinkling titanite shards and 2000 souls on my Jagged Ghost Blade. It only scales E with strength but so far it hits harder than even a Zweihander.

Dear Watson posted:

I like how people spread rumors leading up to the release of this game. I was so worried about the curse frogs because I heard the curses stack. I've been farming them for the last hour or so, and have been cursed 7 or 8 times in my impatience and I'm still only at half health. Do they start stacking on the 10th or 20th curse?
I think the wiki is being seriously poisoned.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 10, 2011

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Boosh! posted:

Man, I'm going to deliberately curse myself just to do New Londo Ruins even though I read tat area isn't necessary. Sigh
Don't do it. Get that Firekeeper's soul and run away screaming. It's such a pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Boosh! posted:

Ahh thanks, I at least got the Firekeeper soul before drowning. Is there nothing else worth getting there? Anything scenic?!
There's an NPC you can pay to remove curses but I've heard you need to kill them to drain the lower level anyway.

• Locked thread