Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

So the area with the orchestral music and the knight that says "get a little scared..." is kind of the portal that connects to everything?

I also saw something weird in the vxds video where he's walking down some stairs, you hear a dragon sound and he suddenly gets +10000 souls?

It's at about 44:30 in http://www.twitch.tv/vxds210/b/295628558

To be honest, I've never played a game of this genre before. Should I not even bother with this or the prequel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

The.GreyWolf posted:

Yeah, he shot one arrow, and the thing died. The stream went ballistic when that happened.

In regards to the game: Do you like dying a lot? Do you like a high but usually fair difficulty?

Not usually. I do like Zelda as the other poster mentioned but I generally like games where I can adjust the difficulty. I also get somewhat intimidated by more complicated games, which this seems to be in terms of all the different classes, builds, items, weapons, etc. I'm also used to having checkpoints. Trying to rent it sometime is probably the best option for me.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I said come in! posted:

The checkpoint thing won't be an issue. The Bon Fires are the fix to the complaints players had with Demon's Souls, with having to do all of that running back to a boss and killing everything over again.

I suppose, but I was talking about Demon's Souls since that's a lot cheaper :)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

What's the item used at 1:23:59 here?

http://www.twitch.tv/vxds210/b/295696447

It causes him to warp somewhere else and changes his appearance to this blackish shade, and makes his enemies look different too

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Wow, I mean I know this whole game is meant to be hard as hell but the boss fight with the smaller fast guy and the giant slow fat guy looks absolutely insane.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

This game would be way too hard for me, but it's fun to watch. Found an English playthrough with commentary on youtube already, at least the first few parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gkof7lcWznQ&feature=channel_video_title

It was kind of annoying trying to follow the stream gameplay since it was all in Japanese.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Probably already posted since this thread gets a million replies a day, but http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9ymysN3qQ8 :wtc:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I reactivated my Gamefly membership and put this in my queue. I've never played a game like this before (not even Demon's Souls) so I figure I'll get really into it or just give up right away. Would it be best to start with the Master Key for my free item? Also I know thief is a good choice, but what about pyromancer? I'm not that great in close combat and I'd prefer just to throw fire and poo poo.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

If you pick up humanity and use it right away, it will restore health, but if you save them you can use two at the bonfire to increase the number of flasks, is this correct? And after you do that how do you switch back to the non-human form?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Chomp8645 posted:

Using Humanity does not give you souls ever.

It cost 1 Humanity to turn human or to kindle a bonfire (more flasks)

The way to become hollow when you're human is to die.

Yeah I fixed the first part. I said two because if you are not human you need to switch first and then kindle.

Is it best to save humanity for the bonfire? Unless you have no flasks left and you are low on health I mean.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

gravyflood posted:

Don't use item humanity right away. It's a guaranteed full HP restore, so hoard that poo poo like an E-tank.

But if I hoard it and die I drop it along with the souls I have, correct?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

Only humanity on your counter in the top left.

You'll never lose humanity in item form.

Alright, thanks. Do you get humanity in the counter from defeating bosses and such? Can you use that humanity just like an item, or only to turn human and kindle?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Sunblood posted:

Humanity on the counter is what most of us call "liquid" humanity. You can use it to unhollow and kindle bonfires. Keeping that counter high increases your item drop rate and chaos weapon damage. It drops with your blood stain when you die along with your souls. "Solid" humanity is the item in your inventory that you equip and use. When you use it, it heals you fully and adds one to your counter. It stays in your inventory through death.

Alright, thanks. What class(es) would you recommend I use when I get the game (I really have no idea what I'm doing)? I was thinking thief or pyromancer.

Also I was watching some video where someone was at the Firelink Shrine right in the beginning and they were able to upgrade to 10 flasks right away - how is this possible?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_llHIzy5fgY (at 6:19 or so)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Thanks guys, very helpful. I guess if I'm not interested in the online stuff I should mainly use humanity for HP restoration or to increase # flasks.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Are there any areas that a new players should just skip completely (assuming they aren't needed to beat the game of course)? Like the painted world, or darkroot basin.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

So for the skeletons I've heard you want a divine weapon - to get this to you just upgrade a normal weapon via Andrei using Green Titanite, or is there another way to get one? Also if you ascend a weapon are there any negatives that would make you want to descend it later?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Thanks for the replies, I'm hoping to get this from Gamefly soon. Seems like a game where you either fall in love with it or you give up pretty quickly.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm surprised your progress is saved for the Bed of Chaos - does that happen anywhere else? Seems antithetical to the rest of the game.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Any preference with pyromancer vs. sorcerer for a beginner? I saw a video of how to get the tin banishment catalyst right away so I want to do that in the latter case. Also for the catalyst, R1 uses the magic, and R2 does what exactly? If I'm reading it right it should do 145 damage for that catalyst.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Dog Toggle Switch posted:

Oxxidation covered this pretty well, but I'll throw in my two cents. As he said, Pyromancy's strength is dependent on the level of the Pyromancy flame (the item used to cast it's spells), so any type of character can use it proficiently if they drop some souls into upgrading it. Oftentimes, this is the recommended way to go, since it can get you out of some sticky spots if you're strictly melee or supplement a good tank character (iron flesh is a game changer for some bosses).

If you're going to go sorcerer, you are going to be a magic user. Period. Your spells' strength is dependent on your intelligence, which you'll want to at least get to 50 (after that there's diminishing returns for putting points into it, but it can still benefit you if you do). Also, you want maximum attunement points to be able to equip all the spells you'll need to rely on. This isn't to say it's not a powerful build. It's PVP potential is pretty limited, but a good sorcerer can absolutely clean up PVE. There's a couple of spells that effectively make you invincible for a while (within reason). One of my first characters was a pure sorcerer and it was a blast to play, if only because the game seems to rely so heavily on hand to hand combat.

So, ultimately, for an absolute beginner, you'd probably want to go Pyromancy, but Sorcery could be a fun way to learn the ropes differently than most people choose to.

I really don't care about PVP for now, I just want to play through the game. It seems that if you get that banishment catalyst right away then you effectively have a 145 damage spear as well. Also I prefer to avoid melee when I can since I think that's where I have the best chance of dying. Anyway thanks for the info. Sounds like the best things to upgrade right away are: strength (once to use the new catalyst), one attunement, then mostly intelligence with a bit of vitality and endurance along the way.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 28, 2011

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah, but the melee attacks for the catalysts are pretty rubbish. Until you can get enchanted weapons (which gives you increased damage based on your intelligence) you're really better off using the drake sword as your close combat option.
Especially if you're not worried about PVP or min-maxing your stats, it's well worth the time and trouble it saves you to get the minimum stats for drake sword, even for a sorcerer.

So should I not bother getting that catalyst early, or is there still some advantage otherwise?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah, but the melee attacks for the catalysts are pretty rubbish. Until you can get enchanted weapons (which gives you increased damage based on your intelligence) you're really better off using the drake sword as your close combat option.
Especially if you're not worried about PVP or min-maxing your stats, it's well worth the time and trouble it saves you to get the minimum stats for drake sword, even for a sorcerer.

Well I'd need to increase my strength by seven, which seems like a ton when I really should be focusing on intelligence, attunement, etc. early on... correct?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Lork posted:

That was my experience as a new player as well. I killed a lot of bosses on my first playthrough by standing just outside their attack range and pelting them with fireballs.

You could do that even more with sorcery though...right? I mean presumably you could cheese the Taurus and Capra Demon by just standing in the raised area and spamming magic.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

If you get the Drake Sword is it worth upgrading with Dragon Scales? They seem pretty rare.

Also where do you go to make that kind of upgrade? I've looked all over the wikis and can't find it.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

SamBishop posted:

I've been rolling with the Drake Sword for quite a while now and I've poured the raw souls/materials into it and I love the drat thing. Like others said, it may not scale to your stats, but I honestly don't know what other weapon to start using. The low STR/DEX stats needed to use it have meant I can pour points into other stats and concentrate on leveling up my Pyromancy Flame.

I really should go with something new, though. I think this thing has run its course. Any suggestions for something that could be upgraded into a more powerful option? I was thinking of Quelaag's flame sword.

I still didn't get an answer on where you can upgrade it :confused:

My only concern with Drake Sword if I'm a pyromancer is I don't have a good long range option (I mean nothing nearly as long range as with magic).

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

If you just skip the lower Undead Burg and the Depths (by getting to Blighttown via NLR and Valley of the Drakes), how much are you missing out on? I know the Capra Demon is considered to be pretty annoying, and you would avoid the risk of getting cursed in the Depths.

edit: in the video I saw, the guy was a pyromancer but he saved up his souls and upgraded his flame to +10, which let him use the woman in Blighttown. Of course he was ridiculously pro at the game.

vv Spider Shield?

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 2, 2012

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Carl Seitan posted:

You'll also miss out on the Large Ember, which allows you to upgrade weapons to +10. Capra isn't that difficult, and it's definitely worth it to go get the ember and free Laurentis. Both of them are located very close to the entrance of The Depths coming from Lower Burg; literally in the first large room you get to and a room next to it.

\/\/ Haha! Beat you!

So if I beat the Capra, free Laurenitis is there any real point in continuing? Because the Depths just look awful with all the rats/frogs.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Is the opening sequence where you go shrine - new londo ruins - shrine (via homeward bone) - valley of drakes - darkroot basin - darkroot garden (just briefly) - blacksmith - undead parish - elevator back to shrine worth trying for my first playthrough? It would get my pyromancer two fire keeper souls, and both a grass crest and a spider shield right off the bat.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

chumpchous posted:

Yeah but if it's your first time through, why do that? It almost ruins the game. I've nothing against game guides or looking things up, but I'm just telling you that with this particular game, you're really shortchanging yourself and you'll probably finish thinking "what is the hype about?" It's like using a gameguide to play an adventure game.

Seriously though, I started at the beginning having never played the first game and without going online or looking anything up. It's one of the best times I've ever had gaming. It continued to be great right up until I got most of the way through and started looking things up.

I've already seen full walkthroughs, that's what got me interested in the first place. I'm just trying to figure out what will give me the best chance of beating the game without getting too frustrated and giving up first.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

WalletBeef posted:

I must admit, alot of the allure of Dark Souls is its unforgiving, yet mostly fair difficult. The emotion that comes with the trials and tribulations of this game is what makes Dark Souls, well, Dark Souls. If you need a game that coddles you, then Dark Souls might not be for you.

I don't want that at all, but if I can get some better items early on why not? If the game is as tough as you say you should take any advantage you can get. No one made this type of complaint about getting the Drake Sword early, even though it's quite overpowered in that phase of the game.

Even if you get all those items early on, from what I've seen on youtube you will still die quite often.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 5, 2012

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

WalletBeef posted:

Well, let me be more accurate. The difficulty in Darks Souls isn't unfair but it can be high at times. What Dark Souls teaches you, is that you can't have things "your way". Your initial attempt to kill even the most basic enemies, will get you killed. The environment wants you dead. The monsters want you dead. Even non living objects want. you. dead.

But its not unfair. Dark Souls has this strange quality to it. Upon death, there is almost always a little voice in your head that says "I died because I did/didn't do x". You could have succeed doing something countless times, but if on your 100th attempt, you hesitate or rush the slightest, you are dead. This is the dark souls experience.

But there are rewards. That sense of accomplishment when you beat a boss or escape an area. Retrieving your body and getting back your hard earned souls and humanity. Or even upgrading equipment to better deal with the environment. Or even murdering the first player that invades you : its awesome. You start off feeling absolutely powerless and helpless in this game and in the end, once you have conquered it, you will feel like a god, even with a weak starting character.

I'm not trying to scare you away from this game, but Dark Souls IS hard, but in a fair/painful way I haven't experienced in a game in a long time, if at all.

I understand what you mean. It might end up being too much for me, but that's why I'm just renting it, so if that is the case I can just send it back.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I think what my confusion is is what is considered "too much" to get early to make the game a bit easier in the start. I mean the game is going to be loving hard no matter what, so I don't see how running around for 15 minutes to get some extra items is ruining the game in any sense, any more than shooting a bunch of arrows to get the Drake Sword.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

About to get started on this after finishing Demon's Souls. Anything different I should change strategy-wise from that game? I'm planning on doing pyromancer.

Also is it possible to get the Claymore on the dragon bridge in Undead Burg without killing the dragon? Or is it not even necessary given I can use the Drake sword? While the Claymore has less damage, it's much easier to upgrade.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Well at least there are bonfires right next to it so I can afford to try over and over. From what I know, running towards the wall in the middle part will cause the dragon to land, at which point I can run past it to the parish bonfire. At this point it will fly away and I can pick up the Claymore. Correct?

Also should I have any preference as to how I upgrade this weapon? Especially considering enemies that have strong fire defense.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 31, 2012

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Polo-Rican posted:

In Demon's Souls it was waaay better to dress light and roll fast. In Dark Souls shields and heavy armor rock. Look closely at the "physical damage resist" stat on your shields. A few shields you can get within the first hour of the game block 100% of physical damage.

I was planning on doing this route that gives me two fire keeper souls, the spider shield and the grass crest shield at the beginning. It latter only blocks 95% but has the stamina regen effect. The former would be mainly used in blighttown and such.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Oh and given that the Depths look awful, once I free Laurentius I can just skip the rest of the level? I would already have the spider shield and the master key. Not that I like the idea of skipping areas, but the whole poison/plague thing isn't my idea of fun.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I know that Blighttown has poison (what I meant was the rats in the Depths can poison you also) and the boss, but it looks like if you enter from the Valley of the Drakes there's a faster path through to the bottom using that water wheel thing.

If I have the pyromancer I'll be mainly upgrading vitality and endurance - does this mean my best bet for a melee weapon upgrade is something that doesn't scale with any stats (like lightning or fire)?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

Yep. By the endgame you'll want a +5 lightning and a +10 fire (for the few enemies who are lightning resistant) weapon.

Oh man, to get a lightning weapon early I'll have to kill the black knight in undead burg :stare:. Might not be too bad with fire.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

Well that's endgame that you want the +5 lightning weapon for. You're fine on everything with just a +10 weapon early on due to Pyromancy owning bones.

Well yes, except for fire bosses like Quelaag. Should +10 normal be fine against her?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Oh you're right, you need the Anor Londo blacksmith. Okay I'll stop now.

• Locked thread