Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

loving hell, got cursed in the loving Depths. God drat frogs. I guess I need to go and trade for some Purging Stones. Laaaame.

I know why it happened. I got cocky, tried to get through the frog things quickly instead of taking it slow. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

d3c0y2 posted:

How do I get rid of being cursed, The Undead Woman in the aquiduct doesnt seem to sell purification stones even though the wiki says she does, some goon said there was another one nearby, but I cant find that one at all.

I tried exploring new londo ruins for a curse healer, but I keep getting hosed up.
Read the first post.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Why can't I drop a cracked red eye orb in the nest? I'm at the right nest; I've traded things before. When I go to drop the orbs, Drop is crossed out. I can drop other stuff. What gives?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Spiffo posted:

Do you have it equipped in one of your quick-use slots?
Ohhh, thanks.

Demitri Omni posted:

You can't drop the orbs/soul sign items. You can trade FOR cracked red eye orbs, but you cannot drop them.
Yeah, no.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah! Got uncursed, then my bro the white phantom and Lautrec helped me beat the Gaping Dragon. That's one easy rear end boss. First time I've ever seen it, I don't think either of us humans got touched. Lautrec died, though. He's no Solaire.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Vatek posted:

Yeah, they missed shipping any of the drat things to Canada. :argh:
And the UK, apparently.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Huh. I'd been a straight up tank until I noticed that levelling up the pyro stuff isn't actually that expensive, so I took that right up to +15. Then I got round to opening up the tower basement and fighting Havel, and he went down in like 3 Fire Orbs. I was expecting more of a fight!

And the Hydra! Is it really that easy or did I just luck out or something? Once I figured out you have to go in close so it doesn't wipe you out with the water blast things, it was a cake walk. It was pretty much the same deal with the Titanite Demon guarding the garden. Just go in close and you'll never get hurt.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

My guide from Amazon.co.uk has been dispatched! Thank god. Was beginning to think it had been shelved completely.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I hosed myself over by killing the boulder-loading giant in Sen's before breaking through the wall, didn't I? poo poo.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Fffffffuuuuck!
I was hurrying, so I just ran past the flying demon things outside the Anor Londo blacksmith, ran up the stairs, went on my merry way. Saved and quit on my way back, just before getting back to him.

Just now loaded my game. Went down the stairs. He's loving dead. I guess the demons hit him and they killed him? I don't even loving know. When I left they were just trying (and failing) to follow me up the stairs. God loving damnit.

I don't think there is, but is there anything I can do to bring him back? gently caress. I was just about to turn my shield into a lightning shield to help with O+S. At least I've already got my lightning weapon to +1, and I guess I've got all/most of the boss soul weapons I want/need. But still. poo poo.

Can any of the other blacksmiths use the boss souls?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I've levelled up to level 2 in the Chaos covenant, and got the associated Pyromancy. I am not yet at the point where I want to venture into Lost Izalith, so I haven't opened the shortcut (as I understand it) even though it should be unlocked.

If I leave the covenant (I've got some others to join for sweet, sweet achievements) before I use the shortcut, will the shortcut be lost to me? If so, if I were to use it once, would it then stay open if I leave the covenant?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Sweet, thanks!

One more question: boss souls persist into NG+, right?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

What the gently caress? People have problems with finding/being in The Great Hollow and Ash Lake? Why? There's like a dozen enemies between them. What?

And getting there? It's not some great secret. Walk up the big tree/root thing in the swamp, opposite Quelaag's Domain, whack a fake wall, whack another fake wall, boom. I found it by accident; I assumed it was where I was supposed to go.

I assumed the Hydra down there would be as easy as the other one, though. gently caress that! So I just ran away to the Everlasting Dragon, and when I was coming back I saw it climb out of the water and kill itself :confused:

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

The gently caress! Siegmeyer, Lost Izalith. Killed all but one of the chaos eaters before talking to him, then spoke to him. He was all hiyaaaa! But stood there doing nothing. So I thought, eh, kill the last one with my bow. So I did, then he started to jump down, so since I've never done this before and I dunno what else is down there, I went too. Must've landed on his head cos he was pissed at me :(

I quickly quit without saving, currently don't know if it has. Can I pay for absolution to get out of this?

Edit: it did save, still pissed at me

Akuma fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Oct 27, 2011

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

So can I reset Sieg with absolution? Or am I trailblazing here? It'd be quick enough to farm the souls down here so I'll try it if I have to.

Also is there some trick to killing all the chaos bugs in the shortcut? I've run through there a few times and I never see 9 bugs! The guide is vague on this point.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I don't have it. How does it work? This is very confusing, and the guide is seriously lacking here. Like I said, I've run through there a few times and never seen 9. I gather they disappear if you're too slow. But do you only get 1 chance? I don't feel like I'm being slow since I stab them all for 1 hit and don't dilly dally. If I didn't get the sunlight maggot; am I boned?

I feel like I've carefully done things with these NPCs over 70 hours and now it's all falling apart.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Sacrificial Toast posted:

If you leave now, you'll have wasted it, but if you offer the other 20, open the shortcut, and then leave, it'll still be open. You shouldn't have much trouble with the wyverns just getting to the Bandit set. There are maybe 2 in the way.
Not quite. You can donate the humanity, get to level 2, then leave the covenant without opening the shortcut. You can still open the shortcut door later, without being in the covenant.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Weird. I did it the way I described just last night. I'm presently in the Darkwraiths. Felt good to walk across that bridge and look down at all those undead dragon butts.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I didn't even know that part was A Thing. First time there I just killed everything, walked up the buttress, killed the sniper, went inside, completely missed the bonfire, killed all the silver knights in the joint, saved Sieg, found the blacksmith, unlocked the gate, and wondered why there wasn't a bonfire in the whole castle.

Noticed people talking about that bonfire in this thread, though, so I consulted the guide and sure enough!

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Bhodi posted:

You must have gotten super lucky. They fire huge arrows that generally boot you off the walkway unless you do things exactly correct. Mostly it's the "killing the sniper" part that everyone dies to. He's too far away to lock on, and you can't aim a bow because the fire rate of the archers is too high. At the time, I didn't have a lot of pyromancy so I wasn't able to kill the archer before I got arrowed off the little ledge. If you have burst damage, the section isn't horrible. If all you have is the lightning spear, it sucks.

Then, you have a full 5 minute run back.
Block it? Obviously not while you're running up but they can't hit you if you just run, then when you get to the top the one on the left cant even hit you, can it? So block the one that can with your shield or roll under it or something. Blocking it will knock you back but it doesn't matter if you're parallel with the wall.

I didn't have pyromancy, I poked him with my lightning spear.

Not really seeing how moving out of the way of or blocking slow moving giant arrows has anything to do with luck. I got hit once at the bottom while fighting a gargoyle thing and it did a poo poo load of damage so I learned "okay, they're a big loving deal; don't get hit again."

I'm convinced that almost every problem people have with this game is down to rushing and lack of patience, and keeping a cool head and not spazzing out when things get dicey. I can see how someone could gently caress that bit up by deciding "I'll just run past those hard hitting gargoyles because I can't be bothered fighting them" and then oh poo poo! Suddenly you can't wait for a good opening from the archers to run up so they gently caress themselves over. Or, if they get to the top they freak out because it's a silver knight shooting giant arrows at them and they've probably never fought one before now. I honestly confused it for a black knight until he died like a bitch after a few pokes.

It's not luck, it's embodying Batman; a combination of preparedness and adaptability.

I think O+S are the only things to have killed me in Anor Londo.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I didn't even have to kick him or anything, I just hit him and he rolled backwards, right off the cliff. That was pretty funny.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Yay!

I thought for sure that Siegmeyer had gone hollow after I left him down in Lost Izalith. When I first accidentally landed on his head, he said "So that's your game, eh?" and then kept attacking me, so I homeward boned out of there. When I went back to see what the deal was, he still kept attacking me but without saying anything, and a Chaos Eater there just ignored him and they both attacked me!

So I farmed the 136,000 souls to get absolution from hug dude and made my way back there, to fiend Bronion stood against a wall, chillin'. We chatted for a bit, then he had a nap.

Success!

Tomorrow: confirming that I haven't hosed things up between me and Mr Grossly Incandescent.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Where the poo poo does Griggs disappear to at the end, on his way to the Archives? I've looked all up and down Sen's Fortress and can't find him anywhere.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Nakar posted:

The area where the rolling ball bumps right up against a doorway and then rolls away, up that hill a ways and off onto the scaffolding where the mage snakeman is, you can find a route that leads to one of the cells that's locked from the inside. He'll be in there, along with a corpse that has the Black Sorcerer set and Hush spell.

He will also drop a copy of Hush, so you can get two.
Yeah I figured this out immediately after posting!

But I guess he was already mysteriously dead. In where I guess he was supposed to be there was a gold pickup, with Hush and a ring.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Mayor McCheese posted:

There's something lethargic
Cathartic.

I love that you can see some of the other underground areas of the game in the Tomb of Giants. I had Cast Light and good gear when I finally went down there so I didn't hate it like most. And then I noticed in the first area you can see the Demon Ruins, and when you get deeper you can see into Ash Lake.

So what's the deal with the Demon Ruins, anyway? If Lost Izalith was the city where Izalith and her witches were at before the demon explosion, what are the ruins? It's not the Izalith architecture, but it's right next door.

Also was New Londo sealed up, like above? Surely it wasn't nice to live underground like that.

Akuma fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Nov 3, 2011

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Nickoten posted:

It uses the attack power of your right hand weapon. I don't even think you have to be able to wield it.
Pretty sure you do have to be able to wield it properly. I've tried that with the Dragon's Tooth and got poo poo all damage.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

How the gently caress are people so bad at fighting Gwyn? They rarely seem to notice the massively telegraphed grab is coming. All you gotta do is step backwards!

Edit: I was the one that said you can open it without being in the covenant - because that was my experience. I misunderstood someone answering me about that very thing, so I joined the dark wraiths without opening the shortcut, but having unlocked it. It still opened for me, but thinking back I may have rejoined the covenant, but definitely did not dump any more humanity.

Akuma fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 5, 2011

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

God loving damnit, it's hard enough just getting past the loving giants to O+S in NG+ without using up my pyromancy without people loving invading me goddamnit. I'd stay hollow but I want Solaire's help. It's stupid that I have to play offline just to be able to fire a billion arrows into a giant's head without being disturbed. gently caress.

My bro Solaire and me did kill the last fog ring wearing chucklehead that tried it right outside the fog door (I can still hit you with Chaos Fireballs, dickweed) but it used up too many of my spells/estus so it was a bust and I had to go back to the bonfire, and then I had to use the black crystal to get rid of Solaire, and then his sign was gone so I had to quit and reload. gently caress.

Up until now, NG+ had been an absolute cakewalk. Even getting past the bit with the archers that people whine about was piss easy. I don't think I died to any bosses, even though almost all of them killed me a shitload my first time through. But now I'm realising that my lightning spear +5 just doesn't cut it. Somewhere along the line I picked up a Chaos Rapier and it seems pretty good! Worked better on Laurel + Hardy than my spear, but not well enough - and it's not upgraded at all. But I haven't got the ember for it, yet, and was putting off doing the Demon Ruins/Catacombs until I had the Lordvessel. gently caress.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Got Priscilla's tail on my third try in NG+. The way I found to reliably get her to appear was cast poison mist to poison her, then you can see where she is all the time when she's invisible. Two or three thwacks from a black knight sword +5 made her reappear every single time. A few hits to the tip of her tail and it came off.

Have to be careful not to poison her to death, though. I'd imagine you could poison her this way then just keep away from her until she died.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

The only non-trivial thing I have left to do in terms of achievements is those loving souvenirs. I've tried getting them the "proper" way, but in hours and hours the blue eye orb has never worked, and the ring has taken me to two people, both of whom back stabbed me from 20 meters in front of me.

I tried farming the harpies but after like 100 of them I had zero souvenirs and gave up. gently caress you, Dark Souls!

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Cuchulain posted:

You should have 3 pendants from your runthroughs. Trade those to Snuggly for 3 Souvenirs, that, the 3 from Lautrec, you only need four more.
Didn't get one from Lautrec in my first game (I killed him at Firelink before he could do anything) and 5 will still take a really long time :(

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Does anyone have the URL of the site someone in this thread made to keep track of your equipment? It should really be in the OP.

Sacrificial Toast posted:

Your character is pretty short for a Black/Silver Knight.
This is what bummed me out when I got a complete Silver Knight set and tried it all on. You're really tiny!

Also capes on the player don't move like cloth like the enemies, they just stay still. Which looks lame.

Akuma fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Nov 19, 2011

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Merauder posted:

You mean this one, that is in the OP?

:v:
I don't think so. I'm only just getting around to looking at it, but I thought somebody made some site that let you enter what you have. I didn't think it was a spreadsheet.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I got all the achievements. Now I feel... Empty :( Really took my time, too. 150 hours all told. It was crazy how quickly I got to Anor Londo on NG++ to craft the last two boss weapons for Knights Honour. Wasn't playing with the Master Key. Went straight through Darkroot to kill Sif, down to kill the Hydra so it wouldn't shoot me in the back, through the Valley of the Drakes, down into Blightown, killed Quelaag, back up, through the Valley and Darkroot, killed the Gargoyles, straight through Sen's into Anor Londo, passed those archers, round to the Giant Blacksmith, boom. That took like... 2 hours? I don't think I died at all. Sif is never difficult but by NG++ he's just a joke.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Mojo Jojo posted:

I'v got to Anor Londo and it's becoming increasingly clear that my drake sword +2 or 3 just isn't cutting the mustard any more. Now, I blew a load of twinkling titanite on the black knight sword and while the damage is better (and scales) it's so loving slow and just devours my stamina.

What else should I be looking at here?
Elemental weapons. You should've found a Lightning Spear in Sen's Fortress, you could give that a go. You'll find a blacksmith in Anor Londo that can create lightning weapons for you (he doesn't need an ember.) There's a blacksmith in the Catacombs that can do fire weapons, also.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Leyburn posted:

Went for the Dark Lord ending to the trophy, and all I can say is wtf lol. I guess I'm now the serpent king? Okay then. And Frampt is there? He called me a fool and hosed off half the game ago. Right...
Yeah that surprised me. I expected Kaathe to be there, did not expect other serpents, definitely did not expect Frampt to be there or now be at my service and poo poo.

gently caress all y'all that consider that the "bad" ending.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

redreader posted:

Is there stuff to do after I kill Gwyn? Also, Sunbro didn't appear when I went into the Gywn fight while unhollowed. Did something go wrong? I opened the Lost Izalith shortcut and killed all the maggots, then later I saw him there just sitting unhappily in the shortcut, and later still he was gone.
Nope, game ends, you're thrown into NG+.

I had the same thing happen with Solaire. Dunno why.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Absolving clears things up with NPCs, the only way to get rid of indictments is to pay the ultimate price. You have to die to a darkmoon once for each time you were indicted.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

This thread got me pretty loving scared of facing the Four Kings on NG+ but I ended up beating them on my first try. BUT, this was 1.03 with Iron Flesh, a +5 Fire Zweihander, and the Crystal Ring Shield. Honestly, they didn't stand a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Schwartzcough posted:

Oh god damnit! I just accidentally equipped my Ring of Favor and Protection. I wish they'd give you a warning before putting it on, and not just before taking it off. Oh well, gotta break it.
They do, in the item description. Do you not read those?

• Locked thread