Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Best PvP video I've seen (maybe it's been posted already but I can't keep up with 20 pages of posts every 12 hours), only mild spoilers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHYmQrV-wak

The invading phantoms are purple because: They're hunting an oath breaker of their faction

This is the mild spoiler: There is a ring that reportedly makes you almost totally translucent in the forest area only

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

GhostDog posted:

So, after about eight hours, these are the ways I can go

1) Area with enemies that I can't hurt with my current equipment
2) Area with enemies that I can whittle down but revive immediately after death
3) Closed door
4) Closed door
5) Murderboss A
6) Murderboss B
7) Motherfucking dragons

Murderboss B might be doable, but I have to fight him and his two loving dogs in a room as big as my bathroom :argh:

I guess Dark Souls is trying to tell you to remodel your bathroom.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Back in the old thread I mentioned that there is a gate that is locked from one side (like in Demon's, the ones that allow you to shortcut areas you have already been in) that even though I opened it, for some reason kept being closed when I came at it again after dying. I thought it was a bug, but just now I saw an enemy see I was coming, and run to the other side of the gate and close it to keep me from getting through.

This game, man...

I know this is from a few pages ago but I'm still lmbo about that. Wanna give that little guy a medal.

raton fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Oct 1, 2011

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

qbert posted:

Could you just, like, tell me what store it is instead?

Just get the game from the man. He's trying to be a good guy and you'd rather leave him in the lurch.

Goons sometimes...

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Nigulus Rex posted:

Any advice for someone new to the franchise? I'm planning on picking this up on tuesday, and I wanted to make a mage-type character but all the demon souls videos I see say it's difficult to start that way. Considering it'll be my first play maybe I should try something easier. Any suggestions?

Go slow, expect to be ambushed, and learn to love your shield. Even if you're a mage.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Can we add the following as a spoiler to the OP (or second post or whatever), it's about which gifts to choose and I got the info and modified them from some wiki:

What starting gift should I pick?

Minor spoiler:Take the pendant or the master key.

Detailed spoiler:

In my view there are basically three options and one joke option. All of the other gifts are consumables that can be purchased later in the game apart from the Witch Ring, which allows you to interact with a vendor / faction later on but which can be found later on as well.
  • The pendant. An NPC you'll meet later on will want it and you can only get it as a gift at the start of the game. This is the "enhance the plot options" choice.
  • The master key. As you play you'll find reusable keys as you go that unlock gates that mostly open up new areas. The master key replaces some of these and is also reusable so it allows you to sequence break a bit. There's also a door in the tutorial level which the master key opens that gives you a strong starting weapon -- it's the effective Crescent Falchion of Dark Souls. Note that the Thief starts with a free master key, so if you want to choose "all of the above" take a thief and pick the pendant.
  • No gift at all. This was one of the options suggested by the game's director. Why? We don't know yet. Maybe there's a reward for not taking a gift. It is :black101: though.
  • Joke option: the black firebomb. People use this to facilitate killing the tutorial boss which drops a unique weapon which requires a ton of strength to use.

raton fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 1, 2011

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Samurai Sanders posted:

This may apply to Demon's too, but does anyone know if Halberds do piercing and slashing damage at the same time, or does only attacks that visually look like they are using the axe part doing slashing damage?

In Demon's Souls all of the halberd's attacks did "normal" damage which is a different type than "slashing."

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Could someone please spoil me on what exactly the weapon is that you get if you have the master key in the tutorial? What sort of weapon it is, how much damage it does, what stats it requires, length of time until alternatives open up, etc.

Jetpack Postman posted:

Not true. They changed animations for at least two big weapon series that I can think of off the top of my head: 1-handed Halberd attacks are a simple spear-like thrust, rather than those really clumsy swings. 1-handed Katanas now attack with a vertical swipe rather than a horizontal one. Spears are mostly unchanged, though.

Best two changes they could have possibly made. Please tell me they slowed down the two handed halberd attacks considerably as well (that's the third).

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

literallyincredible posted:

Huh, I never knew this. I maxed out Magic, carried around an insanity catalyst, a ring of magical sharpness and that idiotic looking monk's headgear, and one-shotted everything with Firestorm. I just assumed that my high Magic score was behind that, but maybe in retrospect the gear was doing most of the work and I'd have been better off not specializing. Ah well, c'est la vie (or la mort, I suppose, given the way things tended to go for me in my playthrough).

You could have done the same with 40 magic, quite honestly, and put those points you saved into more vitality to take shots or endurance to roll around / attack / wear better armor or intelligence for more mana. I had a character with 40 magic who one shotted NG+ Maneater using that setup for a guy in the Demon's Souls thread that was having trouble getting rid of them. My favorite overall character is a slight rebuild of that same character (but my Faith guy wins more often in PvP -- magic is really hard to use against people unless you're going to be super cheesy about it).

In Demon's Souls you generally want to build your stats like you have to build houses in Monopoly. I mean, there's an initial stage where you get enough stats to use the gear you want (usually strength, sometimes you need a little more dex, many characters will want a bit more intelligence or faith to use some basic spells) then you work vitality, endurance and your damage stat (strength, dex, faith, or magic -- depending on where you want to go with your character) up to 20 or so. Then round out your utility spells (Intelligence to 18 is a common stopping point because that gives you just over 100 mana and three spell slots, faith at 16 gives you two slots). Then work the three at 20 to 30. Then the three at 30 to 40 (except some characters don't need 40 endurance). Then, with whatever you have left, the 40s to 50s. That generally puts you at around SL 120 with a character whose stats are going to contribute about as much as they can to that character, but also means your character will not be a jack of all trades, which allows for the maximum amount of diversity in the PvP meta. It's one of the things the Demon's Souls community really got right.

DeathSandwich posted:

Also: If Dark souls is anything like demons souls, the most you want in a stat on a general playthough is like 50 because after that diminishing returns on the stats start kicking in really hard. Depending on your character build, if you have 3-4 stats your focusing on, get them all to the 40-50 area before you take them any higher.

Just to re-emphasize this, in general in Demon's Souls:

10-20: Big changes in power / survivability for stats that determine that. Lots of new equipment opens up for stats that govern that.
20-30: Reasonable changes in power / survivability. The few specialized pieces of equipment you couldn't use before are mostly useable now.
30-40: Noticeable changes in power / survivability. Only one or two pieces of gimmic equipment really require stats over 30 to be useable without penalty.
40-50: Barely noticeable changes in power, though survivability still climbs fairly well. If you have points left over, why not.
50+: Only worth your while for more HP, really, and even then returns are pretty dubious.

My recommended build for Demon's Souls beginners was 20 vitality, 18 intelligence, 20 endurance, 16 strength, 14 dexterity, 10 magic, 16 faith. From there you could then increase either strength, dexterity, magic or faith to 30 or 40 depending on which weapons / shields you liked using and bring vitality and generally endurance along with it. I'd expect something similar is a good idea in Dark Souls. Keep your guy fairly even to the easy to obtain breakpoints and specialize once you get there.

After you finish your first playthrough you can then work on a more min/maxed second or third character (for the PvP meta as being more of an all-rounder is always better for PvM). Gimping some basic stat that adds a lot of tools to your toolbox early for a few more points of damage on a particular attack probably won't be a good idea.

raton fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Oct 2, 2011

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

GreatGreen posted:

That said, will Dark Souls have any crazy meta systems going on like character or world tendencies? I actually didn't mind the fact that Demon's Souls had them, just that they were so hard to manipulate and that you could easily screw yourself into a tendency you didn't want but couldn't get out of.

The metagame has been heavily refined and de-obfuscated. No more character or world tendency. Covenants provide a similar function through a much more apparent mechanism. Different NPCs will allow you to join their factions (if you have a certain item or do a task for them, generally) which involve stuff like "kill other people" or "help other people" or "kill people who break their covenants" or "be a gravelord spawning jerk" etc. Some of the covenants are hilariously easy to break, some of them are mainly interesting when they are broken, some grant special items or equipment to their members, etc. It's not nearly as binary as Demon's Souls so it's harder to pin down in table form or whatever, but it is richer and more intuitive and when you can get those two things at once I say you're making a good design decision overall.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Jetpack Postman posted:

I hate being that guy, but I believe this qualifies as a spoiler dude. Please tag it.

Other than that, nice find!

I scanned the Japanese Livedoor wiki and that item isn't the only one of its kind that you get that way.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I was looking at the wiki and it looks like for weapons there's both a long spear called a pike and a mirdan hammer renamed "lucerne." Next to the hammer the wiki people wrote "You didn't think there'd be a mirdan hammer?"

Also, on the subject of wands some of them now do significant damage and have very high minimum requirements like 30+ magic to use.

raton fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 2, 2011

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Danthrax posted:

Someone please tell me the Large Sword of Moonlight makes a return. It was probably my favorite sword in Demon's Souls, despite not being the best stats-wise.

Yes, it returns, and it can shoot shockwaves or beams or something like it always used to be able to do in the King's Field games

A few posts above someone said that you get it by beating it out of one of Seath's tails.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

The Moon Monster posted:

I thought the sword of moonlight was actually pretty bad against Garl Vinland since he had super high magic resistance, which is where most of his damage came from. Its huge range and shield ignoring traits made it amazing for world 1 though. Just don't use it against the bosses since it has really long animations.

LSoM comes out of my pack on my faith guy in Boletaria. It's my favorite way to fight Phalanx.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

NESguerilla posted:

My brother who barely even plays video games, doesn't read reviews and has probably never posted on a message board just told me he was thinking about getting Dark Souls cause it looks really cool. The dude literally just has an Xbox to play an occasional baseball game here and there, and I think this is the first time he has considered dropping 60 dollars on a game in his life. It's weird to think that everyone's little pet video game has truly hit the masses and become a triple A title.

It's really amazing when you think about it. Most games buy their way into fame but From has really loving earned it here. I think there is going to be a large group of people who don't know what they are getting themselves into, but that's beside the point.

Honestly I feel like I should write a thank you note and mail it to them.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

dudeman posted:

Just finished clicking on all the links in the master referal list posted on the last page, and throwing mine in for good measure!

http://goo.gl/h32PF

Cheers and hip-hip in advance, mates.

PS anyone know what this stuff unlocks or even does?

Speculation is that the top five people will get twelve inch pewter statues that Namco commissioned of different Dark Souls stuff. But nobody really knows.

http://gamerant.com/dark-souls-trailer-statues-revealed-mole-106843/

Please add this to the bottom of that click queue, Mr. Click Queue guy.

raton fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 2, 2011

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Leyburn posted:

Arrrrgh, I think I just aggroed some idiot I wasn't supposed to, after ringing the second bell there was a note on the floor pointing out a secret area, so I hit the wall and the secret area opened up revealing a bonfire and one of those guys with eggs standing in the way. So I attacked him and the fucker can talk. I was wondering why it wouldn't let me target him at first.

I tried to shut it down quickly before it could save, but no such luck. The prick is dead now. Was he important? Have I hosed something up?!

Edit: Some creepy mute spider lady on the wall reinforced my estus flask and has now turned my head into a blob! It's gone from bad to worse.

After your egg grows up a little bit try doing a push/kick :3:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Leyburn posted:

This is terrible. I went to the guy who offers forgiveness to see if he can fix me, and when I choose ''Request Absolution', it asks me for 76,000 souls. Are you loving kidding me? That's an obscene number. Guess I'll be running about like a freak for the rest of the game.

You finally meet someone who really wants to stick with you and right away you're trying to get rid of him? Come on, be nice to your new little buddy.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Dear Watson posted:

From something I read while looking to see if this game was interesting to me to want to spend $60 on (it totally is!) Your egghead might actually hatch something

edit: I just saw the picture he posted, is that the same thing as the egg head? It looks AWESOME

This link was posted just a bit ago but I assume some of you didn't get to the best part:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxqU9HIIp9k&feature=player_detailpage#t=169s

It's a video so there are spoilers durrrr

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Full on D&D bitches:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

apophenium posted:

Fffffffffffffffuck I want to play this game so bad. Only two more days!

What classes are you guys planning on playing first? I'm thinking I might try pyromancer first, but I might end up going with wanderer or knight or something. that way I won't just die as soon as a baddie runs up on me.

I'm doing pyromancer first and am going to go after at least the Chaos Servant and Gravelord Servant covenants.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Funkmaster General posted:

Are you able to join covenants, reap their physical benefits, and then break them for "free" phat lewtz? I know the summoning ring the cat gives you for the forest hunter covenant crumbles if you betray that one, but that particular item is more of a part of the covenant itself than a reward.

I hope that everything crumbles as you abandon your covenants, personally, as that will add more variety to the PvP meta (instead of basically forcing you to do covenants A B and C before you have an effective PvP character once the game is a few months old).

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Hatter106 posted:

Are the Covenants mostly focused around Multiplayer elements, or are there some that affect the PvE game as well? Not looking for spoiler specifics, just in general.

Many of the covenants grant special equipment or spells that can't be had any other way (like the Dark Knight armor and weapons, or the strong version of Firestorm, possibly a castable version of Curse, etc.) Some of them also require (or nearly require) you to participate in certain PvP things like trolling foes with gravelords or collecting rare dragon scales from their corpses or hunting down people who have betrayed their own covenants. Some of the covenants are easy to betray, others are quite hard, and apparently there's also a guy who can buy your way out of your current covenant for a very hefty sum of souls (about 75k).

I'd say they can have a strong effect on PvM and PvP but some have mechanics that are either specifically aimed at PvP or else are impractical to satisfy without doing PvP (like the dragon scales one since apparently these items are very limited but also in strong demand by their related faction). So overall I guess they're 40% PvM and 60% PvP or something?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

NESguerilla posted:

How does one "break" a covenant? does that just mean you switched covenants or are there certain rules you have to play by in the game?

It depends on the individual covenants. They have their own rules.

The Forest Hunter covenant is apparently super easy to break, for example. The, uh, critter who signs you up for it will tell you the rules but basically you're no longer allowed to kill any of the creatures in the latter part of the forest -- the trees, mushroom guys, some kind of other thing that I don't know what it is because I just read about this poo poo on a wiki and have to attack non-covenant players entering the first part of the forest and also the critter doesn't like that giant dog boss and expects you to kill him instead of letting him go or whatever which I guess is a thing you can do?. If you break it the ring he gives you dissolves

Others aren't nearly so demanding and you can sign on and say "oh yeah sure I can do that" and then put off what they ask of you for a long rear end time.

I don't know if you can have more than one covenant active at once, but I'm sure that at least a few directly conflict with eachother in what is required of you, so I doubt it's possible to have all of them active even if they do allow you to have more than one active at once, which they may not.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Shlapintogan posted:

Yeah, SL 1 runs wouldn't be nearly as doable as they are without the use of spells. Thankfully, Soul Ray is a 1-slot spell. The +magic damage equipment also makes a big difference.

I did my sl one run melee only, thank you very much. :colbert:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Meme Emulator posted:

This is some epic Street Fighter, haha.

Haha he just shot the cat what a dufus

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I preordered in May but I didn't know about release day shipping so I was going to get it in two weeks. Changed shipping to one day and now I get it on the sixth or something. :unsmith:

Also I ordered that Future Press guide. Going to leave it sealed for a week or two.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
5 months hehe

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

redreader posted:

This is starting to really really poo poo up the thread, big time.

Thread will be a lost cause for the next three weeks I'm afraid. A mix of "oh noes my preorder" and then ":argh: my perorder" and then "game sucks bro" flamespats on every page and people asking over and over how to cure curse.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

And a jillion sweaty goons rush the cash registers of Gamestop while their cousin Davey idles in the Civic just outside the door.

It's midnight goons.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Winged spear has great range too, when used with one hand -- especially the R2 attack. It's the safest weapon in the game, basically.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

invalid posted:

That's right, I remember from the first game that in was all moot by the end anyway.

But starting gifts? Why are they doing this to me?! I refuse to look at the wiki this time! Is this what a junkie's relapse is like?

Take the pendant if you're a completionist and the master key if you want to sequence break. The thief starts with the master key anyway, and it's reusable so if you want both take thief and pick pendant. The starting stats won't matter after you play for an hour or two and because the PvP meta isn't defined at all yet it's impossible to even evaluate "builds."

Edit: my game shipped, it'll be here tomorrow :unsmith:

No news about my guide though :unsmith:

Can someone scan their weapons pages and post them? I'm a compulsive minmaxer and neded to have a early breakpoint for dex/str for my planned mage to feel comfortable.

raton fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 4, 2011

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yep. I've been going around upgrading them all to 10.

Does this carry to NG+?

You can farm humanity somewhere, right?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Samurai Sanders posted:

Dunno the answer to the first one, but to the second, anywhere you see giant sewer rats (hint: the sewer)

Aww thanks Dark Souls :unsmith:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Comrade Flynn posted:

Oh god, what gift do I take? So many decisions.

Gift choices:

Master key: Mild sequence breaking, it's reuseable, you can eventually find keys that open all of its doors
Pendant: A little more plot
Black firebombs: If you want to kill the tutorial boss to get his hammer
Nothing: :black101:

All of the other gifts are either consumables or found in the regular course of the game. If you want you can pick a Thief and choose Pendant and then you get the Mastery Key and the Pendant.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Is there any way to not get stun lucked by enemies with big gently caress-off axes other than heavy armor? Does being more than 25% encumbered, and therefore having the lovely roll, have anything to do with it?

That's like 90% of my deaths...one guy whacks me, I'm stun-locked, other guy whacks me, repeat ad naseum.

Try not getting hit by the first guy?

Dark Souls already offered you heavy armor as a solution to that. Don't want heavy armor? I don't think Dark Souls is going to bend over backward to accommodate you for some reason.

raton fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 5, 2011

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Nigulus Rex posted:

Would you guys recommend strength or dex for a melee character? I'm not wearing heavy armor (though I'm sure I will eventually when I buy it). But I'm at the point where I'm comfortable with my other stats and would like to focus on dex or str, but I'm not really sure what gear requirements there will be later.

Do you want to use fast weapons or big weapons?

There you go.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Reive posted:

So I just rang the first bell and Met a guy who was selling items that apparently counter attack invaders?! It says if you're invaded and killed you can indict them and they'll face the Swords of the Darkmoon any idea what that actually means will happen?

Uh he explained the whole deal to you already. Someone invades you and pisses you off. You can then write his name in there and a group of players in the Darkmoon covenant will then start invading him willy-nilly, most of them won't do as well against them as this guy, though.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Vulcan posted:

Is the thief a bad choice when it comes to PvP? I had envisioned back stabbing people and reaping the easy souls but something tells me if you're having a hard time rolling behind NPC's an actual player isnt going to wait around for you to get behind them and it will end up in more lost invasions than other classes.

By the time you get to PvP your starting character won't make two shits of difference. Any character can be leveled up in any way at any time. The starting characters are just "how am I going to get through the first three hours of the game" basically.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Vintersorg posted:

Also, have you guys seen the sign on the ground "Praise the sun"? What the hell?

I'm not sure what all the conditions are but I heard if you make a "gesture of respect," eg., use the gesture menu, toward the sun you are given the lightning bolt miracle which has three charges -- maybe you also have to be part of the Solaire's faction, I don't know.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Nigulus Rex posted:

Thanks. I think I'll leave my str at 16 and start pumping endurance and dex (I want to use that damned wingspear..) Any opinions on how much endurance is enough?

Keep it roughly in line with your other stats but eventually you'll certainly want 30 and probably 40, as that also maxes out your stamina bar. Endurance is a super critical stat for anyone other than a pure mage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

Wait, so can you sell things in this game? I thought I read that you could. I'm getting sick of scrolling through so many junk items and I don't want to drop what I can pawn

You really don't get much for selling things.

• Locked thread