Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Does anyone who has it already know if Dark Souls has a Scraping Spear equivalent?

Also I'm glad they got rid of world tendency. I actually played all of Demon Souls with my PS3 disconnected from the internet because I didn't want my world tendency manipulations to get hosed.

This time around I have no reason not to play with the online stuff (barring bugginess).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

NESguerilla posted:

Haha. Seriously?

I'm not asking because I want to use it, I'm asking because it's an annoying as hell weapon and I hope this is NOT the case. Unless you're laughing at me for another reason that's over my head.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

NESguerilla posted:

I asked the same thing like 5 posts posts up.

Ah, this is what I get for trying to read the thread on the Awful app on my iPhone with a lovely connection.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Pallet Pusher posted:

I started playing Demon Souls after getting all hyped up for Dark. I really loved the game, despite not getting far into it. I'm kind of lost as for what I should be doing. I'm soul level 36 Knight (I think). Some of my equipment... Fluted Armor, Purple Flame Shield, Adjudicator's Shield, Spiked Shield, Quality Winged Spear +2, Broad Sword, Compound Long/Short Bow, Cling Ring, Thief's Ring, Regen Ring, and some resistance rings. Looks like I've cleared 1-1/2, 2-1, and 4-1. Pretty sure when I stopped I had some grand plan, but right now I have no real goal other than not dying. Someone want to give me a goal, like hunt down a critical piece of equipment I'm missing?

Finishing up World 2 shouldn't be too hard with the equipment you have. Also you can do some quality grinding at the beginning of 4-2 with your bow.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

I gave in and watched the Giant Bomb quick look. Dragon death out of nowhere was awesome.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

The IGN stream is currently being played by the guy who runs the wikidot, with the Namco community manager doing commentary. Considerably less annoying than the people who were playing when the stream started.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Everyone, stop being angry the game ONLY got a 9.0. That's still a great score.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

homeless snail posted:

Holy poo poo this video is amazing, that is a gigantic dick move.

There is no such thing as dick moves when dealing with invading phantoms.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

ireladd posted:

Alert, goons! I found a store in L.A. that broke the street date! I just picked up two copies for the PS3 and will be not sleeping at all this weekend. Why did I pick up two copies? Because I'm happy to help out my fellow goon. So if any of you are in the L.A. area and would like the game early, I will sell it to you at the same cost I paid for it, which is like, $60 plus tax. It is the standard version, but still, four days early!

Could you just, like, tell me what store it is instead?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Sheep-Goats posted:

Just get the game from the man. He's trying to be a good guy and you'd rather leave him in the lurch.

Goons sometimes...

Hey, I totally appreciate his nice gesture. I just feel more comfortable buying things from stores with receipts and such.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Hakkesshu posted:

Is it known exactly what the downside of being hollowed actually is? 'cause otherwise I'll probably play the whole game that way.

I think mainly it's the fact that you can't call in human/NPC phantoms to help you fight. This makes some of the later boss fights considerably harder.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

im a girl btw posted:

Am I interpreting the OP right? There's no item burden = you can carry infinite stuff? That's strange that they'd make something a little easier on you.

I'm not complaining but I liked in Demon's Souls how I sometimes had to go into an area, die, think about what weapons I should take next time and then re-enter. I guess with no Nexus in Dark Souls it would make sense.

Can't wait until Thursday! I wish I'd looked around for shops breaking the release date instead of preordering, but at least I have a few days to beat Deus Ex now.

Yeah I think that because it's now open world and there's not really anywhere to store your stuff, they figure you'll probably need to switch up equipment more often to suit the situation/enemy you're facing, so having access to all your equipment available makes sense.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

I wonder what the chances are of Gamestop actually getting copies of the guide in on Monday. It looks really nicely packaged.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Fauxtool posted:

How can i tell what stats I need to effectively use a weapon? I have a zweihander and spear that i would like to use

If you go to the weapon in your menu screen one of the boxes should have minimum stat requirements.

It's the arm, hand, candle, and star icons which represent Strength, Dex, Intelligence, and Faith respectively.

qbert fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 2, 2011

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Bummey posted:

edit: I know the OP says they're the same, but I've been hearing some people say the PS3 version has some bad framerate issues. How do the two console versions compare?

From what I've read the framerate issues are area-specific, as in they happen on both consoles due to what the game is trying to display at the moment. Both versions should play pretty much the same. PS3 was lead console during development, and IGN did their 24-hour stream on the 360 with no noticeable hiccups.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Another review out from the UK. 4/5

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2011/oct/02/dark-souls-review-xbox-ps3

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

I called Gamestop asking about the Dark Souls guide, and they told me they're only offering to sell them to people who get the CE version of the game, at $20 a pop. They won't sell the guides separately. Weird.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

fromagex posted:

PA goon reporting in; no movement on my CE preorder. I order so many things for release date and they're usually marked at the very least 'shipping soon' by this point. Wondering if I'm going to get the shaft from them as I'm only paying $7 for it after credits.

Yeah, I hope this is not a case of From offering the free CE upgrade for pre-orders, grossly underestimating the demand for the game from the fanbase, and not producing enough copies. Still waiting on my own pre-order shipping email.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Lenaway posted:

Can anyone who's played Demons Souls tell me the allure of the winged spear? I'm going to be starting out as thief so I need a dex scaling weapon and the winged spear is super close to beginning. If not that I have to kill alot of the knight zombies with the cape for a rapier type sword.

It's fairly strong of a weapon early in the game, it allows you to attack AND hold up your shield at the same time, and because you're not swinging it like a sword or club, you don't have to worry about your weapon bouncing off walls in narrow spaces.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Darth Windu posted:

It feels...stiffer. The attacks are all different - I was an expert with the longsword in Demon Souls, but this is taking some getting used to. Just the addition of the leaping attack and kick are throwing me off...what is the kick even for? It doesn't seem to break shields like it did in DeS.

Kicking enemies off high ledges is pretty satisfying and useful.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Ledneh posted:

I just got an email from Amazon saying my release-day-arrival shipping is decidedly not going to arrive on release day :smithicide:

When did you pre-order? This is pretty much the last thing I want to hear right now. :(

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Well this is the email I just got from Amazon.

quote:

We're sorry for the delay in shipping the order you placed on September 18 2011 (Order# XXX). We have good news -- the order is now being shipped! You should receive a shipping notification shortly, within the next business day, for the following item(s):

"Dark Souls Collector's Edition"

Probably not getting it today, but I guess I won't cancel. Hopefully this delay isn't too bad.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Well some small consolation I guess while I wait for my Amazon order to ship, I called Gamestop this morning and they got in a box of strategy guides. So I managed to pick that up at least.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

I'm starting to lose faith in Amazon. They charged my card last night, but still haven't shipped my order yet. It's stuck on "Shipping Soon". Chatting with a rep, they refuse to cancel my order as it is "in the shipping process". The guy couldn't even tell me when it would ship, just kept saying that I should receive an email shortly with tracking details.

What the hell? If you're not going to give me the game when you said you would, then at least don't pre-emptively take my money and not allow me to just cancel the order.

Sorry, back to game-related talk. The guide is really beautiful and reading the mechanics section has got me relatively prepared to actually start playing it.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

I'm having the exact same problem. Talk about bullshit right?

Yeah, I don't even care about milking them for "we're sorry" credit or anything. I just literally want my $60 back in exchange for them keeping the game they were going to sell me, which isn't even in transit or anything. It hasn't shipped yet.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

I've been flipping through the strategy guide, and certain items in the game are listed as only attainable via "Ascension". Can someone explain to me what that is?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

blablablabla posted:

Can anyone tell me how to rebind the keys on the xbox? Having the near useless parry thing as LT and hold shield as LB is extremely annoying.

This was one of the main complaints from xbox players before the game came out. You're stuck with the control scheme they give you.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

No it's a pretty poo poo encounter that the camera was not designed to accommodate. Even when I beat the guy I still spent about half the fight staring at a wall or zoomed into the ground between us.

Excuses, excuses...

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Jimbot posted:

Also, am I correct in assuming that Pyromancy Flame is the only catalyst for Pryomancy? I've looked at the wiki and found nothing. Been upgrading that thing as much as I could as soon as I found the Pyromancer trainer.

Oh and the Gaping Dragon :gonk:

Actually there is an upgraded Pyromancy Flame you can get in the game, from Quelaana of Izalith in the Blighttown swamps.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Jimbot posted:

How upgraded it is? I'm up to +7 right now.

You have to have your Pyromancy Flame fully upgraded to +15, and then she will offer to convert it to Quelaana Pyromancy Flame, which is much stronger and itself can be raised to +5.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Guliani is HOT posted:

I'm playing as a warrior, I got the flame and I bought a spell, but I don't know how to use magic. Do I need to "attune" it or whatever? What do I need to raise/obtain to get attunement slots? Is it worth pursuing?

This should probably be in the OP, but in order to use sorceries you need to equip a catalyst, in order to use miracles you need to equip a talisman, and to use pyromancies you need to equip a pyromancy flame. You also need to attune (equip) spells into your slots via bonfires.

The game doesn't really explain any of this, but if you played Demon's Souls, it worked the same way.

Edit: Probably been asked a lot, but what's a good place to grind after beating the first boss? Having the dragon flame the enemies on the bridge for 300 souls still feels pretty slow.

qbert fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 6, 2011

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Vanguard Warden posted:

There's a ring that drops off a guy in the forest that does that.

Yes, this is correct. Getting high dex/endurance to do flips is a myth. You can only do it via the ring.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

So for anyone who has the strategy guide, have you been able to successfully register it on Future Press' site yet? I've managed to enter the ISBN # fine, but now it's asking me to enter the first word on X page, and I keep getting the wrong answer. I assume the word they want is like the header word at the very top of the page, but everything I try doesn't work. All caps, no caps, it keeps saying wrong answer. What am I doing wrong here?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Are any bosses actually resistant to certain elements? Basically what I'm asking is if I upgrade my main weapon down the fire/lightning/magic path, is it going to end up useless against certain enemies (I mainly care about bosses)?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Jaros posted:

Can you leave a covenant without getting put in the book of the guilty? Is it by going to the guy that appears after the gargoyles?

Yes, I did it that way and accumulated no sin in breaking my covenant.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Rascyc posted:

There's an in-game loading screen tip that basically says Lightning is pretty much the god element in the game. That was in regards to a spell so I imagine it carries over to weapons and stuff.

Judging by all of Col Sanders posts, the Lightning Halberd sounds like one of the best weapons in the game and I don't think he's done absolutely anything to upgrade it.

In true Dark Souls fashion, however, the boss you face right after getting the ability to upgrade to lightning weapons is HIGHLY resistant to lightning.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Lagos posted:

So I decided to go with magic spear (as opposed to sword or "spear and magic helmet"). What made my choice for me was noticing that while you can still block while using a spear just as in Demon's Souls, it looks like in dark souls, it doesn't cost any more stamina to do so than a regular spear strike.

Unfortunately, after getting my spear to +5 and trying to modify it, I found that there's no option to make a magic spear, only a divine one, which scales off faith instead of int.

Are there similar limitations with regards to weapon types that can get various enchants in Dark Souls as in Demon's Souls? I haven't seen this listed anywhere.

Even in Demon's Souls spears could be 'mooned'.

I suppose I'll just have to suck it up and use this spear for the butterfly weapon later.

EDIT: Nevermind. I think what I need to do is find the goddamn magic ember which is, uh, rather expensive, I understand?

Yeah you have to find the ember first before the blacksmith can create magic weapons. It's not expensive. You find it, uh...somewhere in the game.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

GreatGreen posted:

So, um, once you beat the Taurus Demon, but can't get across the bridge below because of the huge dragon that will kill you if you even think about it... where do you go next?

You can make it halfway across the bridge and go down the stairs in an alcove on the right side.

feraltennisprodigy posted:

Where am I supposed to go after ringing the first bell at the Undead Parish? Below the Firelink Shrine? I get hosed up by the two first enemies in The Valley of Drakes and there's a ton of ghosts that I can't seem to kill in Anor Londo

There's a Basement Key down the steps from the main entrance of the church. Use it to open the door on the far end opposite the Red Dragon.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

feraltennisprodigy posted:

I was just down there and killed the Capra Demon, forgot to mention that. I think that I might have gotten another key when I killed him?

Yes, now go down the stairs to the left of the room where you fought him and you'll find the door that key unlocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Lagos posted:

Yeah, but if I'm reading some SPOILERS correctly the ember for magic weapon upgrades is behind the talking cat who is behind the door which needs the 20,000 soul key to open.

You're thinking of the Enchanted Ember which is different, and can still be had without that seal.

• Locked thread