Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a good spoiler free guide to help point me in the right direction? The game gives you keys to access new areas which I have no idea where they are located. For example, I just beat Gaping Dragon and got the key to Blight-Town. I'm guessing this is some area even lower than the sewers, since I'm still hunting for that drat 2nd bell, but I dont want to start rooting around FAQs and Wikis, that could spoil the experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Just like with Demon Souls I think I have really hosed over my first character. Right now he's a mish-mash light armor heavy shield greatsword pyromancer guy. Basically a melee glass cannon, if that makes any sense. I really don't feel like starting over, but I am guessing I am going to be screwed for NG+ since my stats are all over the place.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I got 2 shot by an invader using a lightning sword (I want to say it was a katana type, but I'm not sure) that ignored my shield. What's up with that? I had a regular Eagle Shield.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I'm noobing my way through the game right now, I've seen plenty of other people with hobo/found gear while summoning/being summoned. I'm sure you'll find the dedicated griefers and PvPers with crazy gear, but the game is still new.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

EC posted:

I love how Big Hat Logan is all "thanks for getting me out of jail, ima hook you up!" And then charges you 50k souls for a spell.

Big Hat Dick is more like it.

He won't even carry some basic catalysts in stock. He really is a dick.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I am in love with the Black Knight Sword. I've tried other weapons, and enhanced weapons, but the BK Sword is almost the perfect blend of strength and speed, and the moveset is great too (except heavy attacks.) I'm guessing it's not so great at high levels though, due to the bad stat scaling.
It's funny, I've had this thing sitting in my inventory since the beginning of the game, I just never bothered buying the stats for it up until past Gaping Dragon.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Alright, how the hell do you get past the spear archers in Anor Londo? The ones guarding the side entrance to the big rear end cathedral. Every time I get up there I either get knocked off the ledge or speared in the back.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
If the game's designers intended you to poison them with arrows perhaps they should have put a merchant selling poison arrows somewhere in the area considering I can't get out of Anor Londo now that I've rested in the bonfire here :I

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I'd like to get some feedback on how to develop my character going further into the midgame (I just opened up the 4 golden fog gates.)

Right now my strongest stat is Strength, at 24, but my build is really spread out. I'm at SL 51ish. I have 20 Dex, 3 attunement slots, and 18 Int. The rest is spread between vitality and endurance, faith is completely neglected.

I like to roll with a BK Sword +5 and a Lightning Battle Axe +0. I started out the game as a pyromancer so I have the flame, and the weaker fireball spells. I've noticed at this level pyromancy is basically useless unless I can find some stronger spells. I thought when I started out this character it would be a spellsword, that's why I initially pumped up Int (turns out it's useless for pyromancy, who knew!)

I also spent a lot of souls buying magic from Big Hat Logan, only to realize I don't even have a catalyst. Anyways, any advice on how to go on from here? I really like the melee mechanics, but I feel crippled sometimes without a strong ranged attack.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Try reverse hollowing and summing some help. Solaire has a sign right outside the boss room so there's no excuse.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I don't know about NG+ yet but the only way I was able to beat Lautrec was by sheer luck with parries. Next time I'm going to slay that bastard in his jail cell.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
What do these Sunlight Medals do? I've got about 5 sitting in my inventory.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Also, I feel like I'm beating on a dead horse here, but being unhollowed is really helpful for that fight. Not even any co-op buddies, the NPC you can summond, Maneater Marilda (I think that's her name) is a fantastic meat shield.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
The real way to save hair-tearing frustration down there is to light the second bonfire. Just hug the right-hand wall and you'll find it soon enough.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

EC posted:

Mildred the Man Eater is probably the most useless NPC in the game, next to Beatrice for the Four Kings fight (she absolutely wrecks the Moonlight Butterfly, though, so she gets points there). She's apparently only wearing rags because her goal is to bathe in the lava that Quelaag spits out without landing any hits at all. About the only redeeming thing she does is pull aggro occasionally, but she doesn't hit enough to keep it, so it never really matters.

Summon a Sunbro, and they will keep Quelaag's aggro while whittling her down, allowing the host to get behind her and Stab It In The rear end.

Just found out the wife is out of town for work tonight, so that means hours and hours of gross incandescence and horrible invasions when I get done with that. Quick question: when people make gimmick PvP accounts, how do they rack up enough Cracked Red Eye orbs to go into people's worlds? I know there's an item you get for joining the Darkwraiths that lets you invade as much as you want, but that seems like a LOT of work for a gimmick account.

I've seen 5 summoned players die in the fight, but Mildred took hit after hit without dying, and she kept the boss' attention almost the whole time. She's very useful in that fight, more than I can say for Laurtec and Solaire against the gaping dragon.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

TheMostFrench posted:

I didn't mention I ran into a couple of very large knights, we circled around a bit and then they just started stunning me at range with some spell so going that way seemed a bit pointless (unless I can run past that fight). I didn't notice any unusual walls/doors yet so thanks for the heads up.

Those guys have a pretty short aggro range, you can walk past most of them. They hit hard and have that annoying miracle, but they don't really have any special resistances. You have to fight one or two I think to get past the area, although the whole thing is pretty much optional. You're just heading towards a fairly easy boss and a dead end.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
In the archives, how do I get back to Big Hat Logan? The ladder I came down is a no-no, there is an untargettable archer there ready to 3 shot me while I slowly clamber up the ladder. I want that Fire Keeper Soul!

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
You also will want to unlock the Sen's Fortress shortcut, in case you missed it. It's two cages hanging side by side in a small room on the way to the roof. Go down in one once, and from then on they'll act like an elevator between that room and the first pendulum room.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I killed the giant sword dog today. I noticed that before I struck the killing blow he started limping. There are "tears" and "grief" messages all over the ground - am I missing something? The monster attacked me in cold blood.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I was there to grave rob? I must have missed that, I just decided to piss 20k souls for the key to open the area on a lark and mess around. What am I supposed to be looking for there? All I found a Wasp Ring.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Oh yeah. I forgot about that because I have no idea what "the abyss" is.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
If you feel like being a counter-dick, go stand next to the spawn point in painted world while unhollowed. Invaders will spawn right next to the hole in the bridge. Welcome to kick city assholes.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I've been messing around with a low level character (mid 20s) since my first guy is stuck in painted world plus I don't really like his stats spread out. Back to the 20s, it seems like every single host and summon I met tonight was wearing the Gargoyle Helm, myself included. It was like a hat club.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
This game feels really huge, much bigger than Demon Souls, and I've only gotten as far as Anor Londo/Painted World. I keep hearing about all these higher level areas, is there much more to discover?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
The funny thing is that both of those bosses are not that hard to do without taking any damage, so its just a matter of how much hurt you can put out. The asylum boss telegraphs all his attacks, you just new to be able to roll and run. The dog only does physical attacks, as long as you have enough stamina and the Eagle shield you can just wear him down.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

cat doter posted:

Man I got the golem boss in Sen's Fortress to like 5% of his health, then he gives me one good wack and sends me flying off the edge to my death? What the hell?

I've got something like 6 failed attempts in there at the moment. It's not as if I'm finding the boss particularly hard, every time I've fought him I randomly fall off the side. As a boss he's quite easy, and I take a lot of damage before I die. Once I get killed I'll make some dumb mistake and the swinging blades will knock me off and I'll die from that. Is there a campfire somewhere near that I've been missing or do I have to start from the entrance every time?

Yeah, I was going through Sen's again on a 2nd character all smug, being all "I got this I know all these traps." I get to the top, realize I forgot to pick up the key for the cage to open the shortcut. Instead of going back or lighting the bonfire, I summon up Iron Tarkus and decide to go for it. And of course I get knocked off the edge right near the end of the fight.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Oddly enough, I wasn't getting a ton of bites on a Wednesday evening one day, but when I took a sick day the following Thursday I was getting summoned within a minute or two of dropping my sign every single time from 7 am to noon EST. I was a sunbro which helps, but pretty much all of the guys had Japanese-sounding names.

Is there any cross-continent play, or are there that many insomniac Japanophiles in North America?

Yeah the online is global.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I just found out Smough has a pretty big deadzone. Every time he swings that big hammer around, if you just stay inside his swing you'll be completely safe.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Does reinforcing catalysts make their magic stronger, or do you have to pump Int?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
My character is melee strength based, and it seems to me like all the weapons that fit into that category are slow and clumsy. I guess it's logical, but is there a good quick weapon I can upgrade to complement my slow crushing weapons? I'm using a BK Sword and a Battleaxe and they're both a little too slow to catch the quicker enemies when they decide to dodge.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I don't know why I didn't think that that, considering my Battleaxe is lighting :I

I guess I'll do for a fire weapon then, maybe a shotel for PVP?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of those Pisacas, I was scared shitless of them (before fighting them). I mean here was a swarm of monsters terrible enough to run off two of those lizard men that ganked me so bad in Sen's Fortress. But no. They are hella weak and lame.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
You got a racist message because people are assholes on the internet. Water is wet. The sun shines. That's just how it is.

Most people in this game are abnormally corteous though, maybe it has to do with the fact there's no voice chat. I always get a bow from a host or player sometimes even from invaders. I bow back even though it's not my style. It's kind of like the old days of Jedi Knight MP.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Uh so after reading the posts about CD I was nervous going to fight him today. The first time I aggrod him from range with a bow, which was a mistake. The second time I was dreading the fight, but he didn't do anything. He just stared at me until I went up to the altar to grab the loot, then initiated a melee fight that I tanked easily.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I'm a total pussy when it comes to bosses in this game and I refused to tackle them alone. I always, ALWAYS put down my summon sign and assist a few times so I have some worry free practice shots (worst case scenario I go back to the last bonfire with all my souls and humanity). Once I feel like I know the boss and I have enough humanity I'll reverse hollowing, kindle the fire and bring along some summons to the fight.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Level 72 in Lost Izalith is completely dead right now :-(

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
So it seems like its not a slow night, something is hosed with my connection. No bites even in low level spots. I still see messages, but no ghosts or summon signs.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I'm on the PSN, sorry :I

I did try to quit and reload, nothing doing. I already turned off the Playstation, maybe I'll try again in a few hours.
It's funny, my MP was working fine. I got summoned twice (the 2nd time the host disconnected in the middle and then invaded me!!!). Then I got a strange sign about "Gravelord disasters are gone" even though I never got a notice before that I got cursed. Then, nothing. No ghosts, no summons, no bloodstains. Just messages.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I had a trusty +10 crossbow that did good physical damage in a pinch, then I decided to make it lightning to exploit weaknesses. It totally sucks now, it doesn't seem to do any lightning damage at all. I should have spent the souls on lightning bolts instead :-I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Count Chocula posted:

Just started this on the recommendation of friends. Still in the undead town; seems the more I play the worse I get. I lose patience and start slashing.

Love how SOLID everything feels though.

Haha yeah, this is the worst game to button mash in. I usually go play something more spaztic when I get in the mood, then come back for careful methodical medieval rear end-whuppin.

• Locked thread