Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

FisheyStix posted:

gently caress yeah, Order Status: Shipped.

My imminent death is currently heading north of Tulsa Oklahoma, fools.

Hi, fellow Tulsa goon! I plan on dying to the giant Golden Driller myself. My game also shipped and that owns.

On the content side of this post, I absolutely cannot wait to try out all the different covenants. I never really got into PvP too much in Demon's Souls, but what little I did was fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ixjuvin posted:

Also would like to know what the weapon upgrade paths actually do for your weapon besides the obvious, the Future Press guide somehow totally missed actually describing what the paths actually mean even though they give you all the details on how to upgrade and what stats everything gets. Future Press :argh:

I'm like 600 unread posts behind current, so I apologize if this has already been posted. I also haven't tested its accuracy fully, but hey, it's nice!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

dahlis posted:

So I managed to kill my first knight and now I have the option to fight against an impossible watery beast or (slightly less) impossible dragons that shoots lightning. I found a bonfire in a cave but since I killed that knight I want to go back to undead burg and kill some more knights. My question is, how the hell do I get back up to the forrest area? (just outside the first blacksmith) I can't go back the same way since I made a leap to get where I am know. There's a door just before the crystal goblins(?) but it seems to be locked?

When you first enter the Valley with the golems there should be a path up on the left

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

PvP hilarity tonight.

Joined the forest covenant and got summoned a few times to hunt down trespassers! This was cool! First two guys got murdered, one disconnected, but the last guy...I couldn't find him.

Then another phantom invaded and we're tag-teaming trying to find this guy and...no one's there. We hunted like five minutes, maybe ten...and no sign of the guy. We start tear-assing around the forest, rolling through trees and stuff, hoping to find him. Then I roll into a bush and...it doesn't give. It looks a little different from a distance. Darker, the light doesn't reflect the same.

Weird.

I roll again. The bush doesn't break. All the other bushes broke. So I swing my sword at it, and it screams. What the gently caress?

There's flash of light and the bush turns into my target. He'd been hiding with that awesome spell that disguises you as random poo poo! Unfortunately, he's got the fog ring on and I can't target him. I get a couple good swings in but he ends up setting me on fire and one-shotting me.

Five minutes later, I get notice that I'm being summoned to invade again.

It's the same guy! This time I know what to expect, so I find a bush that looks different. I throw a fireball at it, and sure enough, there's a scream and a flash of light.

I still can't target him, though, and he wins. I hate the fog ring so much.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Dawnfire posted:

Haha, wow. Now I think I'm going to get that spell to completely screw with anyone who tries to invade me. I saw it's effects but thought nothing of it at the time, didn't realize it's a great way to troll invaders. I also too hate that fog ring, since I rely on targeting a lot and don't understand how people say they don't in pvp. But then again that's probably why I suck at pvp.

It was amazing. I had some pyromancy but not enough INT for sorcery. I'm changing that immediately, just to buy this one spell.

And Light. For obvious reasons.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I've been reading this thread since the game came out, so I'd heard about those two snipers with the huge bows in Anor Londo. Everyone hated them, much like everyone hated the Capra Demon. I didn't have much trouble with Capra at all, so I thought to myself, "it won't be that bad."

gently caress. If only.

I'm at least fifteen deaths in at this point. I've lost multiple blood stains, probably totaling 50k in souls. I know for a fact I've lost at least five humanity. Usually it doesn't bother me, but this one area has me in such a state.

I'd be one thing if the bonfire were closer, but it is not. It's a long haul there. :(

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ixjuvin posted:

They have literally stated in the patch notes that they are buffing scaling because it is currently kind of poo poo.

No. They did not "literally" state anything.

There are no "patch notes" to speak of, and the brief statement made by FROM said they were 're-evaluating' many things, of which the fog ring and scaling were two.

That implies a fix, but it may be a nerf for elemental weapons as easily as a buff for scaling.

Edit: Unless such info was released today, or very late last night.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

waspinator posted:

Will possibly finish my street fighter run tomorrow, looking for more ideas for gimmick runs.

I'm thinking a Ricard run, but after that my ideas are dry. (Done regular runs, castlevania run, and now finishing my street fighter as said before) gimme some ideas!

Dual Shields.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

My first summoning as a sunbro went in true Dark Souls fashion!

I'm summoned: it's me, a dude in full Havel's gear, and the host who's some sort of light weapons/pyro hybrid. I'm rocking my mobile hybrid build (medium roll, medium armor, big loving sword with pyro backup).

We're up against Smough and Ornstein! Fatty goes down faster than I've ever seen. She did a butt slam and got torched from three angles. She had less than a quarter health by time she got up and started to attack again. I blocked (yay +10 shield) and Fatty never recovered.

Ornstein steps up and utterly wrecks the guy in full Havel's gear. Got him with that mega impale attack (which the guy SURVIVED), but the butt-slam AoE followed up before Havel dude could get up and away. Poof.

The game started lagging bad about this time. Ornstein was practically teleporting, bouncing around without seeming to pass through the air between. I see an opening and let loose with my last Great Combustion for 400 damage. Ornstein is almost dead. There's another lag spike...and I'm being impaled. Gonna bite it like Havel dude. gently caress.

YOU DIED
YOU DEFEATED

That's right. While Ornstein was loving around, waving my dead body on a stick like some grisly celebratory flag, the host comes in and chops him off at the knees. Just before the screen goes totally black, I get 15k souls, a sunlight medal, and a bow from the host.

That's right, Dark Souls. Not even death can save you from me.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

McTimmy posted:

Haha, man you're lucky, Ornstein's supposed to be invincible while doing his lightning impale of gently caress YOU.

Really? I swear I've smacked him around a bit while he's got some poor soul in the air. I've actually been happy when he speared the other phantom before, because it gave me a chance to light him up.

Either he's only invincible during certain parts of the "wave the dead guy around" dance, or lag is involved, or something.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

sentrygun posted:

Smough isn't a woman...

Oh god, I really hope Smough isn't a woman. :gonk:

I guess he's not, but I really thought Smough was female.

It was the massive breasts that did it. But I guess he's just THAT FAT.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

evilalien posted:

He'll show up in Anor Londo.

Where? I've never seen him there.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

waspinator posted:

OK This is amazing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5yw0wHQx9A

That poor cat. Also he didn't mention the archers once!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Drake Lake posted:

My friend got this game recently, but he has a really weird controller issue. For whatever reason, items get used when he didn't push a button, so sometimes he might be fighting an enemy and he'll suddenly drink an Estus Flask, or he might switch weapons/two-handed style when his fingers weren't on the D-Pad at all. Any ideas?

Read the OP and some posts to see if this was somewhat of an issue, but there are just so many that I had to give up and ask.

There is an issue where the use of some items and attacks is sometimes delayed--but I've never heard of phantom inputs before.

So how the hell do I get to the Duke's Archives from Anor Londo? I've gotta be missing it somewhere.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

PvP Success Story Starts Here!

After a billion failed attempts at invading people with the Blue Eye Orb, I went off to the Forest. Instead of invading, or being human to get invaded, I decided to throw down my summon sign by the Crest Door.

I had a bite a few minutes later.

Me and x Joe Doe x (or something) buddied up for the next hour, taking on all comers. One or two at a time, the invaders fell to our might. Neither of us were decked out in endgame gear (though our gear was good!) and neither of us used the Ring of Fog, or Tranquil Walk of Peace, or any of that other overpowered PvP stuff.

Unless you count Chameleon as overpowered*, that is.

He'd stand out on that empty clearing near the cliff and the cat, waiting for the invaders. I'd stand near the edge of the forest, disguised as a bush. A harmless, everyday bush, just hanging out, being leafy. Most of our invaders came two at a time. They'd charge past, not realizing that this bush was a bush of doom.

My buddy would leap forward to meet the attackers, who thought they had the advantage. Rest assured, they did not. We had our spacing just right. Even as he blocked the first strikes, I would leap forward, sweeping my zweihander in brutal arcs of buzzing electric death. The invaders fell like wheat before the combine.

Together, we beat everyone who dared face us. As time passed, we started getting repeat customers. Chameleon lost its effectiveness as the knowing phantoms began to roll through bushes on their way in. Eventually, I ran out of casts.

It mattered not. We smashed pyromancers against the anvil of our might. Ghostly apparitions wearing the Ring of Fog fared no better. One poor soul felt that Tranquil Walk of Peace would slow his demise; unlike the others, he was right. It took nearly a minute to slaughter him.

But like all good things, it had to come to an end. The Joe Doe slowly ran out of Estus. Our health bars were slowly whittled down and, at last, my brave companion fell to the blade of an angry phantom, vanquished at last.

I returned to my world, and laid another sign, and was summoned.

It was my old friend, x Joe Doe x.

The slaughter began anew.

*I don't find Chameleon overpowered at all. Just like the rest of Dark Souls, you just have to be observant to ferret out a disguised enemy. Chameleon has several disadvantages, foremost being that the disguise--particularly the forest disguise--is not perfect. The disguise is lit from within, just like the player characters, and stands out if you know what to look for. You also cannot block at all while disguised. Doing so breaks the disguise, as does attacking, casting, gesturing, or anything at all besides swapping items.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Woozey posted:

As I recall, the question is basically "hey man, do you hate pyromancy?" so by answering no, you basically said you like pyromancy and want him to teach it to you. So no, no was the right answer

I hate his questions, they're worded so poorly and then the answer SWITCHES if you go talk to him again.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Dizz posted:

Well i mean am i hosed if i wanted to choose other spells or miracles or whatever? I wanted to answer "get off my dick" and maybe check my other options and go back to him unless declining their first offer is permanent.

You can still learn from every other one of the magic instructors no problem. There's a couple more pyro teachers, two sorcery teachers, a couple of miracle guys...they (like covenants) don't care who you talk to so long as you don't actively betray or attack them.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Dizz posted:

ok that's cool that i didn't lock myself out of anything because some guy tricked me with dialogue.

If I use the crow to take me back to the undead asylum, is there a way I can come back to firelink shrine or so I need to kill a boss or something?

You can leave the Asylum without fighting the boss there. Though he does drop something pretty awesome!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

darkhand posted:

Pretty sure you can get locked in the abyss too if you dont have the lordvessel. But getting there without it, you had better know what you're doing already.

You can always Darksign back to your last bonfire. You'll lose everything but you can get out of anywhere.

Or Homeward Bone if you have one, then you don't lose anything.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I've been making decent progress on The Four Kings, but the run to them from Firelink is sapping my will to continue.

So. Many. Darkwraiths.

gently caress.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

CHaKKaWaKka posted:

I have joined the Darkmoon Blades covenant and have been invading people in Sen's Fortress and that is fun as poo poo. They can't really run anywhere and there's not many places to hide. Just killed a guy with a Fog Ring by casting Homing Soulmass and walking menacingly towards him until he fell off a bridge into the murk. I jumped after him like some sort of terminator and my soulmass finished his cowering rear end. Also, I'm wearing Havel's Ring and the Mask of the Father so my mage is like a crystal soul spear casting battlemech. :black101:

I'm wearing the Mask of the Mother with Ornstein's armor, Catarina Legs, and no gauntlets. I look like a medieval Robocop with a perpetual frown and hands dipped in blood. It's awesome.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I've hit a wall, hard, on the Four Kings.

First it was simply getting to them, then you guys told me of a path that avoided fights. Yay!

I still die every time I get down there. I don't like that. I've tried summoning phantoms, but they haven't been following me. Instead they try to fight all the Darkwraiths and get slaughtered. Or get me slaughtered trying to rescue them.

I did have one success story tonight. After a long drought, I finally found someone to summon! I hit his sign and, moments later, got an invasion notice! This spirit of vengeance arrived on the scene just as my new buddy appeared. He rushed down to attack before the odds turned. I blocked, and swung. He blocked, too, but the attack pushed him off the ledge to his death.

Praise the sun!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Elysiume posted:

What level are you and what gear are you trying to use?

SL 60. Havel's, Crystal Ring Shield, Lightning Zweihander +3, pyro hand +14

I tried the Iron Flesh smackdown route, but last time I did it solo I got grabbed over and over and over and over until it finally ran out and I died.

Maybe I'm just unlucky.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I'm sad, because I've been unable to repeat the fun I had getting summoned to help a dude fight forest phantoms.

No one's picking up my sign (except one guy who was out to kill Sif). I want to help farm forest pubbies. That's all. I can't do it myself because Sif is dead in my world. :(

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

If anything I'd say take STR to 24 if you're already that far. 24 STR lets you use the Gravelord sword which is really incredible, and Server which seems lousy but actually gets very powerful with upgrades (I'm using an enchanted +5 Server as my main weapon on my NG++ character, so it's still good even when you have your pick of anything in the game).

Zweihander is also 24. And we all know how awesome the zwei is.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Four Kings finally down. Took me a week of sporadic tries. I eventually got a phantom smart enough to NOT DIE before the boss. Between him and Witch Beatrice, we were able to whittle down the Kings and victory was achieved!

My phantom and Beatrice died, but not in vain. Thanks guys.

Speaking of Beatrice...where does one find her outfit and what are the conditions for doing so?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

doomfunk posted:

What I'm saying is, when I have my zweihander out, I basically don't hit R1.

I only hit R1 on groups of enemies or foes I cannot lock on to. Occasionally bosses.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

buzzsaw.gif posted:

"Smoff"

PS gently caress New Londo Ruins

I'm running around in this stupid skirt etc. but I keep getting hosed before I can even get to the drain lever...am I better off just playing with my "A" armor cursed than running around in a wedding dress with a Great Sword of Artorias (cursed)?

Use a Transient Curse. They last forever, you can block, and you can use your normal weapons/armor.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

In all my time playing this game, I've come to realize that my absolute favorite thing is a spell.

And that spell is Chameleon.

Any time I'm human I have this spell Attuned. Without exception. I'll give up pyromancy for it, and it's all because nothing feels better than destroying someone foolish enough to invade my world.

No, that's a lie. Nothing feels better than destroying someone foolish enough to invade the world of the guy who summoned me.

I ran O&S a lot, and once in a while, someone would invade. I'd find a likely spot and turn into an urn. Every single one of my hosts instantly grasped the potential and become the hammer to my anvil. They'd take up position nearby, and bait the invader so he ended up between us.

Best feeling ever.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

If you're a Gravelord, and a dude invades you via your sign, do you get notice? Or is it a surprise?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Jan posted:

How is the Hollow shield affected by 1.04? The stat scaling stuff?

I've just been looking for an excuse to drop the thing for something else.

It got a pretty hefty berf to its stability.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Elysiume posted:

Storywise you aren't actually going hollow, you're just getting really close.

This is probably true.

Almost all of the player's actions could be explained as 'he went hollow.' You are, after all, just randomly murdering things at the behest of creatures no one else ever interacts with.

The only time you do anything with purpose other than random violence is when you burn a Humanity to co-op or invade.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Oh my god Ceaseless Discharge.

He keeps shooting fire at me through solid rock, and standing in the open is even worse!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Do most people simply not know about Chameleon? I don't know how many times I've been disguised as a bush or a barrel or a trio of impaled hollows (or something), and the host will look right at me, then give up.

Sometimes he'll even move away, then come back. Look some more. Sometimes his phantom buddy will do it too.

I kid you not that, once, the host turned towards his phantom and did the 'shrug' gesture. With his back to me.

He got backstabbed and died. I praised the sun as me and his phantom buddy were fading away.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Miijhal posted:

I've ran past someone as a pot and they just outright ignored me. I have no idea what to think of that.

I'm just picturing these people as someone's ineffectual aunt Marie.

"Oh that silly Dark Souls game. It's got widdle moving pots and people with swords! What a scamp!"

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Chard posted:

I can't get the Black Eye Orb to vibrate again, I've been back as undead and human and I think I missed my shot. How loving lame.

You should be able to just go into the main hall before O&S and use it. On the floor, on the stairs, on the balcony...wherever. Just slot it into a quickslot and use it.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Chard posted:

I can't, though. I tried using it in the same spot but the option was crossed out.

Question: Did even attempting O+S block me from using it? I just ran in to look at them and died.

Have you put down a summoning sign? Using one form of multiplayer item sometimes seems to mess with using another.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ball Stink posted:

This is a good story. I can't wait to get this spell again.

Chameleon alone is worth getting to 14 INT. Once you get there, you might as well go to 15 INT and get Fall Control, Repair, and Cast Light while you're at it.

Then grab the Oolacile Ivory Catalyst and all the damaging spells that require low INT and use them to soften up targets before you smash them.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

waspinator posted:

OK Guys, I need suggestions for Black Phantom pvp runs.

Silly, silly poo poo.

I tried Maneater Mildred, but I couldn't get the Sack after remaking new characters to go to the depths and get a sack, it wouldn't drop for me. So I need some silly, silly ideas for invaders.

edit: low level poo poo, preferably.

Have you tried being Dusk of Oolacile and abusing Chameleon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Merauder posted:

The Stone Knights aren't really that scary; you just "NEED BRAVERY" :v:. They move pretty slow if you stay close to them, so you should be able to pretty easily side-step their swings and stay behind them for some easy swings, even if they case Tranquil Walk of Peace (the slow movement spell).

I loved fighting those guys, so I went back often. I got good at fighting slowed.

Then I started doing PvP and ran into jerks using that spell. It rarely saves them.

I win far more of those fights than I lose.

• Locked thread