Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Mercury Crusader posted:

I've yet to play Demon's Souls, and am kind of interested in this game. As somebody who plays a lot of games such as "Ghosts 'n Goblins" and more recently stuff like "Dungeons of Dredmor," and thus loves playing games where I die constantly, is this game right for me? The only barrier I can think of that would detract would be controls, as I do enjoy that "simple-to-learn, impossible-to-master" design of game. Are the controls for either game that elaborate?

The game feels very natural and is probably one of the easiest control schemes to get used to. Altho in the first I found I accidentally ate a lot of the herbs. Mainly in a panic though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

We should start posting our codes from the site to earn tokens, not exactly sure how it works but this is the code I have.

http://www.goo.gl/P7lIc

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Rank is going up but not sure what's up. Wasn't there some stuff discovered for liking and commenting on Facebook?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It did give me a cheeve for the code we received a while back. Apparently if you fill this poo poo up you get statues.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Probably never played Demon Souls before -- this is how all the 360 players are going to be. :3:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Click click click GOON HIVEMIND

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

SHUBNIGGURATHS CLIT posted:

God drat do I hate chubbyface beardman on the stream.

Holy gently caress your username, amazing. Please use that in Dark Souls.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The more souls, the better!

http://goo.gl/P7lIc

So has anyone ordered from Amazon.com up to Canada for release day games? How fast are they? At the time the CDN site didn't have the preorder up.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Hmm, maybe I should just cancel my pre-order than...

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Decided the game will be worth the wait in shipping plus I have classes so it's not like I can play non-stop. Woke up, popped the money on the CC and now waiting for Amazon to consume my funds.

So stoked! Almost here!! :D

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I am going to break every oath to get some purple fucks to invade me.

BRING IT ON! :black101:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Hmmm, spoiler city now. Time to bow out till Tuesday. Have fun guys!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's good to be able to say, "We were there in the start." :unsmith:

From deserves all the praise they get from this -- it's a solid loving video game that is fun. I don't play much these days and rarely buy video games but I'll make an exception for their studio from now on. I loved both Demons Souls and their ultra retro Zelda-clone (which I need to pick up, stopped playing a while back cause of that loving dragon boss).

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

While you can chat with friends what purpose does it serve if they cannot join with you? So you can chit chat with buddies like it was vent on a non-MP game?

I guess I dont "get it".

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Amazon Canada doesn't even have release day shipping, there is priority but that makes it $79 CDN. Lucky Americans. :3: I could just cancel and get it in a store but it'll be here by Friday probably, gives me most of the weekend to enter hell.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

WHAT THE gently caress CANADA! God I hate this country so much when it comes to ordering things.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

We don't have that option up here, if they don't ship it out tomorrow I am going to go pick it up at a store and just cancel the above. CE be damned.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Pierson posted:

Speaking of amazon and whatnot, is there any in-game benefit to buying the CE as opposed to the normal one i.e. items/skins/weapons like most games do these days? I don't really care about soundtracks or art-books and I have no intention of using a strategy guide.

There is nothing like that, I might just cancel since I don't really care for that poo poo. It was a nice bonus but not a "wait 1 week to get it" bonus.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

J posted:

I wonder if From is going to do any holiday type fuckery like they did with Demon's Souls and adjusting the global world tendencies, like how they put everyone to pure black on halloween. I know Dark Souls doesn't have world tendency so who knows what they could do though.

Gravelords in everyones game, every hour on the hour.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Darth Windu posted:

You do. Eat it, friendhavers.

I think the keyword is "Internet-friends".

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Smelly posted:

Still more friends than what I have. :colbert:

:smith:

:glomp:

I have a bunch of assignments due next week with mid-terms in a couple... Dark Souls you punish me in real life and in game, joy.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

qbert posted:

Yeah, I hope this is not a case of From offering the free CE upgrade for pre-orders, grossly underestimating the demand for the game from the fanbase, and not producing enough copies. Still waiting on my own pre-order shipping email.

Could be why those of us north of the border are getting the delays. Fun! :3:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Cancelled pre-order and just picked it up locally plus I got a $10 gift card at FutureShop. gently caress Amazon.ca.

Time to get destroyed! Going naked and looking for a nice and big 2h so I can re-make my char from Demons Souls. :D

Does this use our PSN name when signed in for the book of the damned or whatevs?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ugh, all my demons souls experience is out the window. I rolled a deprived and the club is tough as poo poo to use, so slow. Got a axe and than a sword too, but enemies are loving tough. I love it though and I am slowly getting my bearings back. I encountered the first fully armored enemy in the city and... promptly got my rear end handed me.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The only thing I don't like it and it's something i've encountered in the first area (Undead Burgs) with the basic soldier type is that they cheat by "warping" to you now. As in some can jump 25ft to get to you, it's harder to dodge sometimes as they will do their jumping move and if you move to the side, they will change direction in the air to face you now. So instead of taking advantage of their lovely jump move, they will probably make contact.

I go through too many estus flasks but I did start out deprived and the best armor I have now is hollow soldiers poo poo, so I am sure I'll eventually find better.

I am having a easier time with the knights with capes and those giant fucks with shields but than again they aren't trying to rape my face and gang bang me as I step inside their grottos.

Wish I could play all day but... school, midterms soon... UGH. What a perfect game tho, it took me about 2.5 hours to get past the first boss (Tauren Demon thing) but that defeat felt so great.

Also, have you guys seen the sign on the ground "Praise the sun"? What the hell?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Where is this merchant in the Undead Burgs? I thought I explored a bit but saw other paths below me that seemed risky to get too.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

So are you supposed to eat those fire keeper souls?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Darth Windu posted:

I guess I should restart. I'm stuck in Blight Town, all my equipment is broken, and I have no repair kit. No way up, no way down.
Time to become depraved like some of us weirdos and run around naked :D

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

loving boss in lower Burgs.

I ALMOST beat him but he cornered me, his attacks are so loving weak but it's those loving demon dogs, I can't seem to kill them anymore!! I am heading back with that drat dragon sword since the halbred was what I used before. Hoping to make quick work of him.

Also that bell tower boss above wasn't too bad, throwing knives hurt them quite well. :3:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Dark Souls on FB just posted this. :3:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Mr. Onslaught posted:

Whether it's due to gameplay mechanics (you were always going to be alive at some points no matter what in Demon's Souls vs. unhollowing being completely optional in Dark Souls) or the fact that there is no more central server, the online element of this game is total dogshit.

Needing to be alive to invade is weird but not inherently bad, and invasion items being one time use is also annoying but not a deal breaker. But the fact that you can lay down white soul signs for hours and never be summoned, or try to invade and have it fail pretty much every time is just horrible. Dark Souls is selling so much better than Demon's Souls did, so the online play should be better instead of worse. Maybe the majority of players don't care, but invading early and often was the most fun I had with Demon's Souls.
Yeah, the online portion seems really dead this time around. I want to be an rear end in a top hat and loving kill people. Staying alive in human form seems next to impossible. Unless you just become one than invade right away?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

What about the item just before the Undead Burgs at the bottom of that giant aquaduct? You see it way in the distance.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

gently caress YOU CAPRA DEMON... finally.

I spent about 1 hour trying to kill this loving oval office, than said gently caress it and went to the forest. Not sure what the hell I was doing but came upon a lake with a goddamn HYDRA, I don't know what the gently caress and grabbed some knight armor High tailed it back but got a little lost, ran into a black knight and found a green wood shield thingy, does good blocking. Well with my new armor and shield, it was time for Capra Demon.

Died about 5 times either from getting gang banged as soon as I entered or destroyed as I ran up the stairs. I was ready to turn off this loving game but said... one. more. time. Killed those loving dogs quick and took the fight slowly, keeping the fucker on the ground and letting him try to follow me. I only did one overhead hit otherwise it was all watching my moves. So glad that is over...

The sewers tho, christ, those fat loving guys... minor spoiler they are slow but if they catch you and BANG, they even hit you on the ground!! I ran away as fast as possible, I had 4k souls and needed to level up just a bit. I am scared to go down there again but... no other place to be! There was some fellow I freed and back at camp there is some guy in gold...

Calling it a night but man, this game makes me want to break things but the feeling of killing a major enemy... so good. Love it!!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Regarding the Capra Demon - Tactics and it's not as easy as people make it.

It's not as easy as just running up those stairs, he charges you right away along with those loving dogs. They will get a hit in and hopefully you have enough poise or good enough armor to shrug it off so you can inch your way up the stairs. DO NOT run to you right, I thought I would change it up but that just resulted in more destruction. If you can manage getting up the stairs and killing those loving dogs, just have patience and watch the boss. He's really slow and you can get away with ease.

Seeing those loving dog corpses fly down after jumping off the stairs gave me a good sense of ... :black101: gently caress that boss, hardest fight so far.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Patience. Discipline.

You'll get it, get some heavier armor for the CAPRA DEMON. It'll help a lot, you have to go in there as a tank. Anything lighter and he'll gently caress your poo poo.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

Alright, so when you stop playing the game for the night, absolutely DO NOT quit your game. Go sit down at a bonfire people commonly use (Undead Burg seems to be good for this, as is the Parish) and turn your TV off.

The bonus you get every time somebody kindles the fire means you get an extra use of your Estus Flask every time somebody does it, until it maxes out. With a +1 Estus flask, and kindling the bonfire in the area between the Parish and the Forest, I started up my game today and had 20 uses in my flask.

Yeah, sure, let me overheat my system.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I want to kill him today I think, I only used him for the arrows on the dragon. He drops the orange stone and the key to the city. gently caress him, HE DIES.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

God gently caress you Blighttown, gently caress YOU! Just when I thought I was almost finished getting right to the bottom that goddamn ferris wheel kills me!! gently caress. YOU! Time to call it a night.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Found the (armor)ninja/shadow armor in Blighttown, looking like a badass and close to my fast rolling butcher sword character from DeS who was in black rags. But I seem to be stuck... is there a boss here? I reached what I think is the end at the bottom, getting rewarded with a fire keeper soul. Not sure what to do from here, any tips? Do I have to go all the gently caress back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

She must have been broken cause the bitch was easy, the spider one. She never did a AOE, I just got up in her face and swiped while she missed all her strikes. I than just kept my distance while she puked lava and moved in when she was barfing for a while.

Other boss was easy too: hide in the mountain and let him attack

But umm, now what the gently caress do I do? Below me are 8 taurus demons protecting something, I tried running through but they all caught up to me, 10k souls lost And the other way is a bunch of Capra Demons, sometimes two at a time. I don't think I am supposed to be here...

But... how do I get the gently caress back up? I don't want to go all through Blighttown again...

• Locked thread