Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Thank you Grizzlebees... I was hungry.
Samurai Sanders can you answer one question for me?

There were (almost) literally no streaming footage of mage characters from anyone. Is this because the first players wanted the most difficult route possible, or do they consider mages gimped this time and took melee for easier play? I know magic was considered easy mode for the first game by many, but why the blackout of them in this game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

ErIog posted:

There's no conspiracy or anything. Magic is just as powerful, at least in the single player, as it ever was in the first game.

Well in the first game you could rush what was it...4-1? For the crescent falchion. Without a hub, I would like to know when you can get a similar item in this game. From what I've heard there isn't any near the start, therefore it's much tougher to use spells at the start.

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Eddain posted:

But do they morph into Black Phantoms and horribly slaughter you after luring you into a sense of security at a dead end?

I'm betting at least 90% of the player population stays in hollow form for a very long time. Especially 360 players like me.

I'm actually scared by all the ps3 fanatics in here. What's all this talk about buying a ps3 just for this game? You don't have a 360? What do you play...Wii? :getout:

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Filthy Monkey posted:

I just got to the first real blacksmith, and oh god, the things inside that chapel wreck me. I am using chain armor and a longsword at the moment, which I am sure probably isn't ideal. I have the halberd and the drake sword, but don't have enough strength to pull them out. Is it worth just trying to grind souls for those?

Or should I focus on trying to take down that electric dude? The notes around him said to used ranged combat, but I am kind of low on arrows at this point. Is there a nearby place to restock, or should I haul rear end to the first vendor?

Grind for the drake sword. It's SO worth it. Also, remember you can 2-hand the weapons just fine if you aren't strong enough to use them with just one hand.

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

PLEASE no more posts with anything related to Amazon. We don't care and we can't help you!

For content...It took me about 220 cheap arrows with the long-bow to kill the undead dragon. For some reason shooting him in the wings does a little more damage. After getting the dragon scale he drops I spent about 2 hours getting the 10k souls it takes to upgrade the drake sword. I need more scales...does the red dragon drop one? If so, what's the best way to kill him?

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Sankis posted:

I just got to the Blacksmith and am trying to deal with the big guy right after him. I'm a bandit and couldn't find a vendor to buy a bow and some arrows. Also, I've yet to see any sort of summon sign and I'm in human form :(

Maybe I'll start over. I'm not really liking the bandit. Pyro looks cool.

Pyro is cool, but mainly for the starting stats (I'm playing one). The vendor that sells a bow and arrows is in the undead burg, near the first fire. There's two spear-men and a ton of barrels you need to break to get to him.

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

der juicen posted:

Welp, I don't think I can make it past the bull, which kinda blows. Guess it was the wrong game for me.

I got past him using a spear and shield. He was a major pain for me too. Just remember you can block all of his attacks and be OK as long as you have a 100% shield.

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

der juicen posted:

I have big trouble blocking. :( I am using it though, for the knight as much as I can.

Why are you having trouble blocking? With a shield and spear you can attack WHILE blocking. You can block all the time (unless you run out of stamina). Just hold block constantly, take a hit, hit him once, then run away and regen stamina. It's slow, but it works. If he misses you, hit him a couple of times. It's slow, but it works!

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Filthy Monkey posted:

I just used the 'mystery key' to unlock some knight captain in the chapel. The dude sounds loving evil though, and says my reward will come 'later'. Is this some guy I should be executing right now?

I'm wearing his ring right now. It's so sad he fell off the cliff like that...

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Nigulus Rex posted:

How do you upgrade the drake sword?

Kill dragons for scales. I killed the undead dragon in drakes valley and I just got a second one from killing the hydra. They are 10k souls per upgrade. I need 2 scales for +3 :(

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Would a kind soul please tell me how to get to the butterfly boss? I just killed hydra and am at the smith bonfire. I have no idea how to get to the butterfly, but I've seen it from afar.

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Schubalts posted:

Kindling costs 1 point of humanity, but that bonfire is permanently kindled.

No...it costs at least 2 points. One to make you alive and one to kindle. It really makes me sad that killing bosses doesn't "revive" you like in the last game. This makes PVP much harder as well as kindling.

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Two questions about shields. First, is upgrading a shield worth it? It looks like it just ups damage and stability to me...Second, what shields are people using as end-game/permanent shields?

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

mistaya posted:

Yeah the Parish Boss is really easy with friends. I'm helping random internet peoples kill it for fun now. White Soapstone HEROES.

Where exactly is the next place to go? I rang the first bell, now there's a lot of open paths but am I headed down? I remember getting ruined by those banshee things.

Also is there a good way besides ranged to kill the lightning beast by the Parish fire? He keeps untargetting and mashing my face. I don't care if you can run past him I want to see him in little stone pieces.

The 1H mace parry/riposte is :black101: Mace to the Face!

You are at the right place. The woods beyond are where you should go. If you haven't yet, I suggest you kindle the bonfire by the smith and kill/run onward.

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Dan Didio posted:

So, uh, just for curiosity's sake, what exactly do you need to 'ascend' a weapon?

Kill the butterfly. Go to the top of the tower. Give the ember to a blacksmith. You can now do things to +10 items.

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

I would like to give some pro-tips to people in mid-game.

Don't underestimate pyromancy. It's like free magic. Since it's based on upgrading the fire hand, you can buy your way into better magic. Most spells suck, but fire orb and iron flesh are amazing. With a minor 2 points into attunement (14 total if you don't start as a pyro) you can have two sets of fire orb and one of iron flesh.

I've used iron flesh to totally tank bosses. You just trade hits and win because they can't hurt you.

Fire orb kills most big common enemies in 2 shots. Poison ogres getting you down? Use fire and get free poo!

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

"Does anyone know where you can train pyromancy if you kill the pyro guy in the depths? I didn't mean to kill him but I hit his barrel with my sword by accident and had to finish the job."

You are hosed. You need him to upgrade your flame hand. The next trainer won't appear until you max your hand with his skills.

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

hcenvirons posted:

I guess it's obvious that after the second bell I should head to Sen's Fortress, but these snake warriors are murdering me. Should I explore the Londo Ruins or the Forest or even the Asylum first? This just isn't going well.

Depends on your level. If you are under 40, I'd say go grind.

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Defghanistan posted:

Can I just clear something up? As far as I know you cant have two of the same spell attuned unless you start as pyro and then buy ANOTHER fireball. You cannot attune the same spell twice.

Someone feel free to correct me, but that's from a lot of googling.

If you CAN attune multiple spells, then it's combustion x3 for me.

You can have multiple spell copies, but you have to buy them and have slots for them. There's actually an advanced combustion that you will like even more ;)

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

Exploit those snake cunts, they are stupid and you can easily circle around them (provided you are a fast guy and not a slow tank). They leave their backs open a lot.

Backs? Who cares when you can throw a fireball in their face!

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Defghanistan posted:

Ok so does the second pyro trainer have copies of the spells that the first pyro trainer taught you then? Is that how it works?

I'm going full pyro, so I'm a little fuzzy about what I bought where. I bought everything from the first trainer. I fully upgraded my hand so the second teacher would appear in the swamp. I think that will get you what you want.

I also joined the chaos cov after the spider lady for more spells. I need to get to rank 2 for another spell, but that's gonna be a while. I think there is a final trainer after this, but I'm not 100% since this is my first time playing.

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Shlapintogan posted:

gently caress Ornstein and Smough so much. I've been killed five or six times already before I can even do anything because Ornstein dashes towards me and fucks my poo poo up almost instantly.

You do realize this is the hardest fight in the game, right?

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Bobnumerotres posted:

Oh my god. Oh my god.

I cautiously got past all the Capra Demons in the lava area, got to that acid spitting worm thing, and it does this super fast bite that goes through my block and takes out 80% of my health. I panic and dodge away..into the lava.

gently caress. gently caress. Bonfire was right. loving. There. WHY THE gently caress DO THEY RESPAWN

Use a bow silly. The acid it attacks with will melt your items durability if you go in close.

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

RentCavalier posted:

So...uh...how exactly do I get to Blighttown? Is New Londo the only path available? Because...I mean, ghosts...man...they freak me out. And I can't kill them! I don't wanna get cursed again. :(

If you have the masterkey, just take the shortcut to drake valley (by the front of New Londo) and go right after crossing the bridge. If you don't have the key, you gotta go through the sewers.

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

The more poise you have the less you'll be knocked around when blocking.

It really makes a difference when you aren't blocking. Enjoy spamming attacks without falling over. You still take damage, but poise lets you kill them before they kill you.

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Can someone help me with the shortcut in Sen's fortress? I know there's a shortcut in one of the cages. I've got the cage key, but none of them act like an elevator. I saw it used in the Jap streams...help?

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Volvagia posted:

Bahaha just invaded some guy and got a ridiculous 16 million souls or something, was able to level like 15 times in a row.

Congrats, now you will not be able to hunt noobs anymore

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

The Moon Monster posted:

The cages are in the little tower where the light gate to the boss and the stairway up to the bomb throwing giant is.

Got it, thanks!

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

DreadCthulhu posted:

How do I kill the poison dragon in drake valley as a melee character? The drat thing oneshots me if I get any close, and I can't get close enough because of the poison spit. I'm able to whack him maybe once if he spits on one side and I run to the opposing claw, but it's literally one whack and I'm really close to being oneshot each time.

Am I really going to have to take the rear end in a top hat down with a bow 10 damage at a time?

There is a safe spot next to the wall in front of his face where the breath won't touch you. You just run smack him in the face and run back there. I saw a streamer do this. Really though, just buy a bow and a ton of arrows.

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Can someone explain how this cat ring works exactly? I've been wearing it for half an hour and standing in the woods and haven't gotten summoned once. Do I need to be alive? Do I need to be in some specific area? I'm sl 50..is this a good level to be doing this at? Any info would be appreciated.

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

I need some help please. I'm rank 30 and playing a sunbro. I want to help people, but it seems impossible to place marks in the blighttown area. I just killed queeag or whatever the spider lady is named. I can't find anywhere to put down a sign. I helped tons of gargoyle hunters above, what's the deal with no help below?

If I can't help here, where do I need to go and what level should I be?

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

Put your sign at the bonfire at the bottom of blight town in the swamp.

Thanks. Seems I lost connection at some point. I was wondering why I couldn't put my sign ANYWHERE. I tried later and it worked fine. I'm really happy people are still playing this game :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Million Ghosts posted:

Be prepared for lots of people to run right at the boulder ogres. I don't know what it is that make them so tempting to fight but holy poo poo have I seen a lot of hosts get themselves flattened.

This absolutely happened to me on first summon right after my last post. I went the safe way and happy hero went to fight the ogres and got crushed.

• Locked thread