Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Got a bunch of store credit at Gamestop for trading in my Wii and accessories. Guess I'll head over there tomorrow and pre-order this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

I managed to track down a copy of the Collector's Edition of this today.

I'm currently wandering/exploring Undead Burg. Is it intentional that I feel like I'm just exploring with no real sense of purpose? I don't know if there is anything I should be trying to find or do other than attempt to kill things and get loot.

Also, is there ever anything in barrels and crates?

Don't get me wrong, the atmosphere is completely engrossing and the mechanics are great and fairly intuitive. I just feel like I missed some plot.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Question about the Drake Sword.

I missed the part where you stand under the bridge and snipe the drake's tail and the drake flew away when I lit the bonfire near the Undead Parish. Is there a way to get him to come back so I can get the sword?

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

So, after ringing the first bell, I saw someone who I thought was one of those spellcaster undead, but turned out to be Oswald of Carim. I killed him before I realized my error. Is that bad? Have I screwed myself out of some nice stuff?

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

NESguerilla posted:

He's actually pretty easy if you can block his attacks. If not I'd say return later because you are gonna get one shot like crazy.

I saw that door to that guy when I passed through there but it was said it was locked. Is there a key or something you need to do to open it?

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Revitalized posted:

Woo, my Dark Souls guide shipped from amazon earlier today. And after talking to the amazon rep I got promo credit back in the difference for the new sale price! (The guide is 13 bux right now!)

I normally don't buy game guides, but $13 for a hardcover book for this game is a great deal.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Sputnik posted:

I'm really glad I picked up this game. Most of the monsters are brutally-tough-but-fair, even the first couple bosses like the Taurus Demon, but I still can't take a Black Knight down. Can they be parried, or is it just trial and error, dodging in narrow hallways?

I waited until I got the Drake Sword before I killed them. I just get in close and circle strafe them. The one in the tower near the Undead Parish is easy to kill if you have a polearm or halberd. Just pull him down the stairs and he can't pull of his attacks because the stairway is too narrow. Then, poke at him while backpedaling. You can get him down to 1/4 health or so by the time you reach the hallway.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

I had a really productive afternoon playing.

After spending several hours dying to Havel, I managed to kill him on my second attempt. I then went back to Firelink Shrine and cleaned out the cemetary, although I never saw a necromancer that some people mentioned; picked up the Zweihander and binoculars though.

Then, I figured out how to get to the Undead Asylum and cleared it out, except for that goddamn Stray Demon. I did manage to get a sword from one of the Black Knights, too.

Finally, I did the Lower Undead Burg and killed Capra Demon on my first attempt. I sort of cheesed him, though. I just killed the dogs and ran up the stairs. The Capra Demon stayed down near the tree and I threw firebombs on him until he was at 1/6 health and then did a drop down attack, which killed him.

Now, I just need to figure out where to go next. I guess either the Catabombs or the Depths maybe. Any suggestions for another place to go?

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

So, I'm wondering where to go to next.

I've killed the Moonlight Butterfly, Capra Demon, and cleaned out the Undead Asylum revisit (aside from the Stray Demon, who I'll come back for later). Should I be heading to the catacombs, New Lando, or The Depths?

invalid posted:

Is there a bonfire near Carpa?

Or do I have to run from Firelight each time I get slaughtered?

No. There is a door that allows access to upper Undead Burg and puts you right near the fire there. When you enter lower Burg, go up the stairs to your right. There's a gate you unlock.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

traveling midget posted:

Take the elevator from Firelink to New Londo Ruins, turn right, take the staircase up and out to Valley of the Drakes. Go left, then take the wooden bridge to the right, then left along the ledge until you see the Undead Dragon. It's got Astora's Straight Sword between its feet (it will spit poison and OHKO swipe at you, so dive in/out fast)

gently caress meleeing the Undead Dragon. Just buy 35 fire bombs from the Undead Merchant and throw them at the dragon. You can stand just outside the range of his breath and still nail him with the bombs.

For some reason, I felt bad killing that boss. Seemed kind of pitiful. At least I got a new shield, sword I won't use, and dragon scale out of the deal.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Penny_Dreadful posted:

The guide came out today in the UK, I just walked into a Game and picked one up, so if anyone is having Amazon woes you could try stores, they are stocking it.

I just got the following notice from Amazon:

quote:

We now have delivery date(s) for the order you placed on October 09 2011:
Future Press "Dark Souls The Official Guide"
Estimated arrival date: October 19 2011

I don't mind waiting a few days for it since it was $13 instead of the $25 I've seen elsewhere.

Is anyone else having trouble with Sif? I stay under him, but his 720 degree attack still manages to hit me. I've tried both turtling with Elite Knight armor/Crest Shield and going for lighter gear to keep my load under 50% so I can dodge quicker. Both ways, I always seem to take hits that seem like they should be either blocked or evaded.

Also, I went around the back way up the ladders to get to Sif and the smith in the Undead Parish doesn't sell the item that unlocks the door anymore. Is that intentional?

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Penny_Dreadful posted:

Well you opened the sealed door from the inside so I imagine that crest to open it automatically disappears from his inventory.

The door is still sealed. Can I open it from the back side? I just went straight for Sif instead of heading in the direction of the door.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Penny_Dreadful posted:

Try it, post report.

Haha, I will. Stuck at work identifying plants for the next 6 hours, but will give it a go once I get home.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Goddamnit. I've been running around Darkroot all evening and cannot find the loving Stone Armor. Where is it?

Also, I joined the Forest Covenant, but they attack me on sight again. I didn't attack any of them and made sure I only kill stuff that attacks me. Not sure what happened.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

The other day I was in The Depths and there was some guy in a barrel near the Butcher. He asked for help but when I tried to break the barrel he was in, I hit him and he attacked me. So, I ended up killing him. What is he for?

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Toiwat posted:

He was the pyromancer, he'd have gone back to Firelink, given you the Pyromancy Flame and taught you Pyromancy. To free him without killing him, you should have rolled against the barrel.

Good to know. I'm doing straight melee on this playthrough. I'll get him on NG+.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

I just finished the Painted World and holy poo poo, those Crow Demons were the scariest things I've ever seen in a game. They were the only things in this game to really creep me the gently caress out.

I got invaded by some guy while I was there though; first time that I've been invaded. Thanks for the 10k souls whoever you were.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Nahxela posted:

Dark King Jeremiah? That's actually an NPC invasion :v:
But the Painted World is actually a really popular place for white and black phantoming.

No, I killed that light bulb headed near the graveyard. But then some other guy invaded, he was blue.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

I was under the impression that when you invade, you are unable to heal at all. But, when I invaded Laurtec's world, I was able to use Divine Blessings to heal myself. Are you able to use them when you invade other players as well?

Also, why are some invaders red and some blue?

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

I'm sure most people are already aware of this, but I thought I'd mention it anyway for people who don't.

I always had a hell of a time getting to and killing those crystal lizards quickly enough before they disappear. So what I do now is when I see one, I run over to where it is, save and quit, then reload the game. The crystal lizard will be sitting right there, waiting for me to one-shot it.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

So, I'm currently SL64, completely melee. But, I have been wanting to mess around with pyro a bit. Unfortunately, I accidently killed the pyro guy in The Depths. Is there anyway for me to be able to learn/use it?

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Almost Smart posted:

Well this is a new level of bullshit. I'm trying to make my way up the Great Hollow because I can't warp out of it. I'm following the ascending branches and I'm at a point where my character flat out refuses to step off the branch to the platform connected to it. There's just the slightest of bumps and he won't step over it. Running and jumping has him collide with an invisible barrier as does a jumping strong attack. If I can't get on this platform, then there is literally no way for me to ever escape the Great Hollow.

Did I just encounter a game-stopping bug?

You can move across the lip of the platform from the branch you're on to the one continuing upward if you keep moving against the platform lip and veer left. It looks like you will fall, but you won't.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Dizz posted:

From what I read it nets me a nice 20k souls. I still haven't finished the depths [that giant rat :gonk:] and I didn't bother with the forest until I was a little more experienced.

E: forgot to mention that 20k souls can get me a few levels. I'm level 19

You can sort of cheese the giant rat (haha) by luring him to the tunnel you entered his lair from. He can't follow you in there and if you have a weapon with decent range, you can whack him and he can't hit you back.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

YorexTheMad posted:

Know where the Crestfallen Merchant is in Sen's? Wheree you have to jump across a broken platform in the last stretch of the level?

Go to the bottom of the Merchant's tower, kill a snake mage, behind him is a Cage Key. That will unlock the cages that are in the room right before the boss room. Hop in one once they're unlocked, and they will serve as an elevator to/from the beginning of the stage.

edit: Master's Key won't work, even though it unlocks the other cages in the stage.

Speaking of which, is there a way to free Logan without the Master Key? Does the key you speak of unlock his cage as well?

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Goddamn. Is there some secret to cutting off Seath's tail? I was hacking on that thing the entire fight and couldn't cut it off. I eventually did so much damage trying to cut off his tail that he died.

Fairly easy fight, though. Just put on every curse resist item I had and went to town. Curse meter never went above 1/4 full.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

sentrygun posted:

They'll, uh, punch them and dodge their attacks like normal? I only used Combustion as a supplement to my Zweihander for heavy hits that fired off faster, but not only is Combustion not too terribly much weaker from what I've seen, but thanks to the scaling fixes people can probably find a faster firing weapon that still does good enough damage.

Seriously, I don't understand why everyone acts like the Four Kings are impossible without Iron Flesh or the Crystal Shield.

For real. I beat them on my second attempt two-handing a +5 Black Knight Sword and Havel's set.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

This has probably been covered before in this enormous thread, but is there any point at all to Raw weapons? It seems like all it does is remove stat scaling, but I'm not sure why you would want to do that in the first place? Am I not understanding how upgrading works or something? Why not just upgrade to +15 Normal or +5 Fire/Lightning?

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Is there any point at all to Raw weapons? It seems like all it does is remove stat scaling, but I'm not sure why you would want to do that in the first place? Am I not understanding how upgrading works or something? Why not just upgrade to +15 Normal or +5 Fire/Lightning?

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

No, Solaire, noooooo... :smith:

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Digger-254 posted:

Know what I like best about my Lightning Zweihander...

I got invaded last night right outside of Nito. I was one-handing my +4 LZ when he appeared. He made a beeline for me, with a herd of baby skeletons behind him. We did the dance for a little while -- he'd throw a fireball or combustion at me, which I avoid or shrugged off with my Artorias shield and +5 Black iron/Gold-hemmed setup. I'd swing my zwei and he'd roll backward out of its range. His Server deflected off of my greatshield and my attacks would bounce off of his shield. Then he made a flaw that would prove fatal. He switched back to his pyro hand to hurl another fireball at me, and that was all the time I needed to rain down an overhead swing. He was driven into the ground by the weight of my blade. I put my shield away and followed immediately with a two handed strong attack. He never made it off of the ground outside of Nito's lair.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Orcrez posted:

do you have to kill every boss in this game to finish? if not can someone show me a good path i can take to finish this thing?

Im at O&S and for the life of me cant beat them!

I think if you take the Master Key you can get through with only killing: Bell Gargoyles, Quelaag, Sif, Iron Golem, O & S, 4 Kings, Nito, and Bed of Chaos.

But yea, you have to kill O & S.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

drat, I knew I forgot one.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Orcrez posted:

I'm in Light armor and using the grass crest shield and a fire claymore.

They just beat the living crap out of me. I've seen the videos on them but my game never looks as easy. one knocks me down then the other hits me when i get up...... a few times of that and im dead.

Edit: on ya after failing a few hundred times i did the dragon cheat and am lvl 450 and i still die..... which shows me i suck

Get a shield with 100% damage reduction. Keep your shield up and back pedal around the room, only hitting Ornstein when he gets in close. Keep pillars in between you and them if you need to heal.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Orcrez posted:

what shield is this? how can i get one? or which one do i upgrade to get 100%?

Hollow Soldier Shield, Crest Shield, Dragon Crest Shield, etc. If you're a warrior, your starting shield also has 100% damage reduction. Unfortunately, upgrading a shield doesn't increase its damage reduction.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

NESguerilla posted:

Yeah he doesn't ascend. Swamp chick never appeared for me this time either. Not sure why.

The wiki says that the white spider chick can ascend your pyro hand if you have the Old Witch's Ring. I don't know if that's accurate or not.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

So, I made through the whole game without learning to parry properly. Now, I'm at Gwyn and think I should probably learn. Trial by fire, I suppose.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

yrF posted:

I found a super easy tactic for the second Asylum demon. Just stay right on it's rear end. It will spam it's forward explosion move, just step back a bit and then resume slashing away.

I used the titanite slab to get a Thief's Mask +10. Why? Because it's the only headgear that still show's my character's pigtails.

It'll take a while, but you can also shoot him with arrows from the hole in the bars near the cell you start in. He paces back and forth in his little area and you can hit him two or three times each time he walks into the line of sight.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Finally at NG+. Time for a ninja gimmick run.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

NITOS FLAME KEEPER posted:

Throwing knives and claws only!

Was going to go light armor, katanas, bows, and thrown weapons only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Hatter106 posted:

Jesus Christ... Gwyn.
First boss since O&S to make me quit in frustration. He's impossible.

The parrying tactic is a joke since, while it does do a lot of damage, one missed parry will leave you open to his punishing horizontal swipe combo, which will tear through any parrying shield. You'd have to be a parrying god to land it every time.

I've been using the goddamn Greatshield of Artorias and I can barely stay on my feet. His grab move is just as cheap as False King Allant's, way too hard to roll away in time.

At level 71, I thought I'd be over-leveled for the final boss, but... apparently not.

Yea, I had the most trouble with Gwyn, Sif, and O & S.

For Gwyn, I did the same thing I did with O & S. I just kept back-pedaling with my shield up, which would block his first attack, and then I'd be out of reach of his remaining swings. When he'd attempt to grab, I'd get in a hit while he recovered. Took a while, but he dropped eventually. I think on my last attempt, I didn't take any damage from him at all.

• Locked thread