Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Colonel Pancreas
Jun 17, 2004

Oh man, I'm finishing dinner and really excited. I never had a PS3, so that precluded me from enjoying Demon's Soul, but my disc in my system and my heart is ready.

Thinking Pyromancer and Master Key, and going to try and not stress over stat allocation. Does the starting gift really matter? In terms of equipment, am I better off focusing on STR or DEX individually, or going for both? I'm starting Pyromancer because fire is loving awesome, but I'm planning on going melee-heavy as a long-term goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Pancreas
Jun 17, 2004

So, I bought this game when it was on sale, and then had no time to play it so I leant it to a friend. He finished it, and I'm ready to dive back in. I'm just going to re-roll, because I was only a few hours in and I'd rather re-acclimate myself from the beginning. I plan on starting with a Pyromancer, and the guide linked in the OP was really helpful for some initial stat ideas, but I was hoping someone might be able to alleviate my stat OCD. Specifically, I'm concerned about leveling Str and Dex. On the whole, I think I'm more interested in Dex-based weapons, but is it a huge detriment to invest in 16 Str for the Drake Sword? I know this game is going to kick my rear end, I need to take every advantage I can get whenever I can get it, etc, but I can't get over my totally superflous concern about spreading my stats too thin. Can somebody just tell me what a dumbass I am for worrying about this so I can just get over it and dive into the game without this stupid concern about min-maxing when I probably won't be able to beat the third boss?

Colonel Pancreas
Jun 17, 2004

Adrian Owlsley posted:

This may not be what you want to hear but if the weapon you ultimately want to use is a curved sword or dagger you should do without the drake sword because those ~5 points are a decently sizable chunk of health or damage in exchange for the early game being slightly harder. Just upgrade your dex weapon to +5 as soon as possible and it'll be pretty competitive with the drake sword and more fun thanks to the cooler dex movesets. If you get in a pinch you can also still 2 hand the drake sword.

Cool. If it makes a long-term difference, I'll deal. I wasn't sure if those points would make a difference in the long term, and if they will gently caress shooting a drake's rear end for 30 arrows to spend 4 stat points that I don't want to.

Colonel Pancreas
Jun 17, 2004

As far as funny Taurus Demon "glitches" go, I was feeling really proud of myself on my current (and first, really) play-through. Before I got overwhelmed by school and lent the game to a friend a few months ago, I had cheesed him out with Pyromancy. This time, I started with a Wanderer, so it meant me and my scimitar going against his fat rear end. I was giving him a good run, but he had taken some HP off me and I ran away to try and get an Estus Flask in. As he started charging at me, I got a bit nervous that I was too close to the edge. I rolled away, and he went right off. Didn't even know it was possible.

Colonel Pancreas
Jun 17, 2004

Well the Capra Demon can just go gently caress himself. Every time I manage to take care of all the dogs he ends up killing me shortly after.

Colonel Pancreas
Jun 17, 2004

If anyone happens to be looking to kill a boss, I'm chilling just beyond the gate opened by the Crest of Artorias, and I want to kill me a bigass wolf. Not many summon signs around, so drop one!

Colonel Pancreas
Jun 17, 2004

Yesterday, Sen's Fortress spent two hours making me its bitch. Today, I spent two making it mine :c00lbert:

Colonel Pancreas
Jun 17, 2004

cat doter posted:

Admit it, how many times did the swinging blades get you?

Today? None. Yesterday, a few times, one of which was when I was ten feet from picking up the 20,000 souls I had lost upon death. That's when I stopped.

I'm not going to Anor Londo yet, but I do have some interest in the Darkmoon Blade covenant. What do I need to be aware of in that area? If I don't fight Gwyndolin, am I okay? Does completing the area in general lock me out? Should I just save it for NG+?

Colonel Pancreas
Jun 17, 2004

Well, I just spent an hour killing teams of people in the Dark Forest with a guy who summoned me. The first 20 minutes had me at less than 10% hp, and my host was conserving his Estus Flasks with remarkable discipline. I acted as bait, the enemy took it, and he backstabbed.

My first online console game was Resident Evil Outbreak, and Dark Souls achieves perfectly what it set out to do with deliberately limited communication. The dude who summoned me and I developed a great sense of teamwork and strategy all without saying a word. When I summon people to help me fight bosses, it always is a moment of hope in an otherwise punishing game, and I always lament that they disappear right after; you never even get to say thank you.

When Valve says that Half-life 2 was their last single player game, i hope they are looking to Dark Souls as a model. drat, this game is impressive. I had set out to go fight Sif, and instead I spent my entire session dropping summon signs and grinding on the spirits in Dark Forest while waiting for someone to pick me up. It's really impressive how you constantly discover new ways to play the game, even if the fundamentals stay the same. The seamless blend of single player, co-op, and PVP is just amazing.

On an unrelated note, can anyone explain the math behind stats maxing out at 40? I just hit 40 dex, and i'm curious as to why I don't want to take it any further.

Colonel Pancreas fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Feb 24, 2012

Colonel Pancreas
Jun 17, 2004

I beat Sif up so badly last night that I didn't even get to see the limp. My friend who was watching me told me about it and I just looked up a video...

I'm a monster.

Colonel Pancreas
Jun 17, 2004

So, I've killed the Black Knight in the Undead Burg and the two back at Undead Asylum. No Black Knight sword drops. Am I just poo poo out of luck for getting one until much later? If so, any advice on an early/mid range weapon I should start trying to build up? I have 16 str/14 dex as is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Pancreas
Jun 17, 2004

I'm done. I've owned the game since launch day, and I finally beat it. I never have to play Dark Souls again.

Totally gonna make a low level invader :getin:

• Locked thread