Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Samurai Sanders posted:

Some level of heavy armor (I don't understand what yet) causes your animations to not be interrupted by enemy attacks, so that is a big boon for heavy armor.

See. This is why I'm going to love this game. So many action games wouldn't even think of that. But it's true. If we're speaking realism here (abeit. Song of Ice and Fire level of realism), heavy armor at the plate level should let you "super-armor" (to borrow a fighting game term) through some attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Ornamented Death posted:

As Palleon mentioned, you need a Crescent weapon so you can drop the Fragrant Ring. The falchion in 4-1 is probably the "easiest" to get - otherwise, you'll need to upgrade another weapon to +6 then start farming level 5 for the stones you need for Crescent.

Here's how to get the falchion in 4-1: when you go through the first fog door, immediately turn left. Walk down the tunnel (have your shield up) and go out the door on the ground floor of the tower. There's a black skeleton here that will ruin your poo poo, so run past him, grab the sword, then jump down so the skeleton resets.

First time I saw that thing, I was so intimated that I edged towards him shield up. Of course his first attack breaks my guard completely, while taking off half my health. The next attack took me out completely.

Later though, he became a part of my Skeleton Speed Soulgrinding.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
I went with the easiest class to start with in Demon's Souls (that priest that starts out with hammer and armor).

This time I think I'll do it right and go with Deprived so that each rusty piece of poo poo sword, each tattered pair of boots will be a godsend from heaven.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

I NEED SCISSORS posted:

Any of you guys who picked up the game early in New York? I've called around a bunch of places and can't seem to find anyone willing to break the street date. :iiam:

I want to die ASAP.

I too, am interested in this info.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Bitch Twinkles posted:

yeah, same way too

I really liked how Demon's Souls handled weapons and shield this way. I don't think I've ever encountered it in any other video game. You never had to make a forced choice between speccing/carrying 1-H, 2H weapons, or shields.

It was definitely fun boosting your strength high enough to 1-hand, previously 2-hander swords.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
Obviously SPOILERIFIC, but someone made an extended version of the E3 trailer. The song goes perfectly with the screens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3oHLePT8jo

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
Man, I am torn between starting as Deprived (in true Dark Souls spirit) or going Thief so I can get both the Master Key and Pendant. Which should I pick?

VVV I will leap over the counter if this happens. I paid in full, they better have a copy waiting.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

enojy posted:

I went Deprived. Starting with virtually no armor is pretty tough, and you don't get anything great from enemies right off the bat -- literally scraps. That said, gently caress YEAH DEPRIVED + PENDANT.

Starting with a Master Key (Thief) is probably pretty handy though, since there are a number of locked doors/gates pretty early on. Might lead to... something good? something bad?

Wait, what's special about Deprived+Pendant? I thought it was a pure plot item.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
Hah, I got disillusioned by Deprived really quickly. Time to sally forth, Knight style.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
Is it worth getting the 5,000 soul talisman in the beginning of the game from the White Convenent merchant before Undead Berg? I can't find anything on the web on what it actually does, and I can't parse the description for the life of me.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

dongsweep posted:

So I am guessing after killing the first boss on the bridge you are supposed to essentially turn back? I feel like I am missing something, I got the stone, went a few feet forward and nearly died to the other boss.

Look at your surroundings. It's a puzzle.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
^^^^ There is no such thing as cheesing in Dark Souls. You win, or you die.

Nigulus Rex posted:

So I spent an hour and a half farming 20k souls and bought the key at the parish. I got to the gate and I opened it, and I found the bonfire. But now I can't figure out the trick you guys were talking about to lure the enemies off the cliff. I go back to the steps and they just run up and smash me.

Where are you farming in the Parish? I want some easy souls too, but that 20k investment is pretty steep.

Also, it's hilarious that I spend most of this game running away from anything that's not a trash mob, or running away from a mob of trash mobs.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Nigulus Rex posted:

I farmed in the Burg.

Blargh, I guess you're right. This is the safest. I've just been at that bonfire so long I feel like I should put down a mortgage in that little hovel.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

canada jezus posted:

So undead burg questions, i'll spoiler just in case.

Is the spear you can get in this area, like, terrible or something? or is it just notfor me. I can get to an area where you can go down to a black knight i guess, that slaughters we horribly. Should i be able to kill him now? and then a tower where people give me boss fight messages on the floor. Go up first or take the door? .

Did you open that door with the Master Key? He's definitely an optional fight.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Speedball posted:

For some reason I haven't leveled myself up past level 6 (started as a warrior, put a point each into endurance and strength).

The rule of souls is, basically, use 'em or lose 'em, but every time I level up a stat, the cost for leveling up goes up and I'm paranoid that I'll put points into things that I don't need.

I'm probably going to skip magic this time around, so I should be boosting endurance and vitality for now?

Endurance up til 40, is never a waste: It's attack, defense, and evasion all rolled into one.

Edit: Does Evasion actually reduce the "weight" of your armor as well? I got mine to 20, and my knight is still slow.

Thundercracker fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 7, 2011

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Lagos posted:

So I'm thinking it's about time to make a magic weapon and put away this drake sword, since I'm pumping int. Advice on the weapon type? I have 16 str and 12 dex.

Halberd seems a bit awkward to use.
Spear seems safe if kind of dull. I don't have the dex for the winged version yet.
Battle Axe has been kind to me but I'm not sure how I feel about its attack pattern long term.
Long Sword is an option, of course.

I'm way too in love with the long sword. Every other weapon seems ungainly or awkward. At 20 Endurance I'm swinging it 6 times, and there's nothing better than thrusting perfectly and shouting "Just the tip!"

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
Oh boy, just got to Blight-town. Toxic and Poison, it's like this game is just taunting me. Time to go back and grind some Moss.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
Ring of Divine Protection and Favor has got to be the most reward for the least effort ever. One kick, quit, and reload. +20% health/stamina!

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Vatek posted:

If you can open the shortcut at the bottom of the Firelink Shrine elevator, you can walk right to the Blighttown shortcut in less than a minute from the Firelink bonfire. Really, really handy for repeated trips there, or if you're trying to get to Ash Lake.

I'm kinda pissed that shortcut exists, because I had previously unlocked the door to Valley of Drakes with the Master Key at the very beginning of the game. If I had known that it takes me directly to the fricking boss100 yards away I wouldn't even have bothered with the nightmare that was Blightown.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Rascyc posted:

I had this same fear, and it helps to understand how the forging system works and how the game supplements it later on. Once I did, my fears kind of vanished. I'll try to explain it from that POV:

Every weapon you have, is a weapon you can fundamentally carry to end game. And traditionally, you will do just this. Whether it's a traditional +15 upgrade or elemental, they all remain competitive as long as you don't half-rear end your forges and stop at like some weird number.

The unique weapons you get from boss souls are on a level playing field provided you upgrade them as well (using demon titanite, only so much in the game though!) The nice thing is you get these weapons from simply converting a +10 Weapon which are easy as poo poo to make (you can buy the mats to upgrade to +5 from Andrei and you can bu the mats to upgrade to +10 from a dude in Sen's Fortress - or you can farm).

So basically, don't feel held back on upgrading weapons you like straight from the start of the game. The same longsword you liked at +0 may be the one you end up finishing the game when you upgrade it to +5, then +10, then lightning+5. Just don't half rear end your forges.

My only advice would be that you may want to be stingy about how you use your twinking titanite. It's kinda annoying to farm, but it's perfectly doable.

What do you mean "hass rear end your forges"

Also what do "raw" weapons do? I never quite understood it.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Sistergodiva posted:

Ok, So I finished 1-1 in Demon's Souls. Where do I go now? I've tried to get a blessed weapon but I can't seem to be able to clear either the shiny skeletons or the nasty ratmen shits. Should I just grind? Or just try until I manage to?

I'd just get a mace and grind out the shiny skellies until you get get to the blessed weapon in the area. I remember doing that, and lvl'd into a comfortable zone pretty quickly. Demon's Souls does not have nearly a structured soul drop rate, and the skellies are the best you can get for a while.

In other news, Sen's Fortress is so confusing that I'm actually going to have to draw a map just to get through it.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The leeches in Blightown Swamp drop Large Titanite, about 2-4 per circuit. They also drop green titanite in bunches of five. Just use the bonfire, run forward till you reach the wall, turn to the left and hug the wall to start the circuit. You'll run into several slugs in no time.

What do the slugs look like? I don't think I ever encountered one in the swamp.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Bobnumerotres posted:

Stooge?

I wonder what they mean by adjusting things. Balance changes?

I think he means the Darkroot Forest soul exploit, where you can get 3 guys to tumble off a cliff one after another in under a minute for 6,000 a run.

I liked having that around because it let me level all my weapons to +5 and play around with them since its so close to the smith, but it loses it's usefulness pretty quickly. No big loss.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Ledneh posted:

Cool, thanks folks.

Also, curse argh argh argh. I'm so tempted to just start over so I never have to deal with this horseshit since I know what to do about basilisks now. :mad:

If you go back to the Undead Asylum, you can trade Snuggly something ridiculously trivial for 2 uncurse stones.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
"Archers" don't really do those two assholes justice. It's more like two armored assholes with tankbuster sniper rifles. I've push-blocked off of that ledge so many times.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
drat, almost did Orstein and Smoeug on my first run, only to get overconfident and get hit by Smeoug's super-charge in the last minute of the fight.

And then I tried to kill Smoeug first and faced the ridiculousness that is SSJ Orstein.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
Man, killing Priscilla was such a bummer. I kinda felt like that angsty teenage rear end in a top hat from Shadow of the Colossus.

"Here's something beautiful and haunting pleading to live... STABBING TIME!"

Especially when you realize why you were drawn into her world in the first place.

Really cool fight though, if a bit easy. I really liked the gimmick.

Is the Golem Axe any good? I made one and just looking at the stats (can't 1-hand it yet), it kinda sucks.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Penny_Dreadful posted:

Something does happen to him after you wake up Frampt, you might want to hold off on the killing.

Wait, what happens? All that happened in my game was that He started complaining about a smell, and then next thing I know he's hollowed, and attacking me in New Londo. Unfortunately, that fight ended with him jumping off a bridge so I don't even know what he was carrying.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Jesus, this game is hard. I'm slogging through Undead Burg at a snail's pace and getting nearly auto-killed by anything that looks at me funny. I beat Demon's Souls and I don't remember it being this hard. Does it ever ease up? any general tips? I started as a thief, btw.

I started as a knight, and put 1 point into faith in order to be able to use heal, and that's seriously helped me thru the entire game. It lets me go into a boss with 10 flasks instead of like 2 since you can use heals instead of the starting flasks you get at firelink.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
I had the strangest experience on Monday popping in Dark Souls, and suddenly I was somewhere new and strange (It was my first time in the Tomb of Giants).

Apparently, on Sunday I had gotten so drunk hanging out with my roomate and watching Gilmore Girls, that I actually ended the night playing Dark Souls and had gotten from Firelink, past the catacombs, and to the first bonfire. I don't even remember putting the game in.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Twanki posted:

I keep getting bullshit deaths from Blighttown, the camera there is completely and utterly broken.

Turn off Camera Auto-correct if you haven't done it yet. This will eliminate the camera spin-out in tight areas.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

ShooterHeart1CC posted:

I'm sort of confused with how weapon upgrading works. I used one of my green gem things to make my +5 Zweihander a Divine Zweihander, but I'm pretty sure it just got worse. I keep reading how divine weapons are so great so I sorta went right for it when I saw the option. Am I supposed to change it back and upgrade it more, then make it Divine? I don't have any more green gem things to do this so I've just been using an upgraded Black Knight Sword which I find is much better. It's gotten me up to Anor Londo(which is freaking beautiful) so that's cool. Just need a lil point in the right direction so I can make a long term "kill everything" weapon for later.

Make a lightning weapon. Divine is scaled off of faith and strong only against skeletons and ghosts. Lightning seems to be strong against 90% of the enemies in the game (even things that use lightning attacks). Make a fire weapon as a backup, and you'll be set for anything.

If you need large titanite shards or green shards, there's a dozen or so leeches across the swamp from bonfire in the Blightown swamp that can net you several shards each run with the snake ring.

Yeah, it's weird but just remember that Divine and Magic weapons basically need to have faith and int builds to work. +damage is just straight damage, and elemental weapons add elemental damage. It seems basic, but it's good to keep in mind that when you ascend a weapon to a elemental or divine/magic type it actually resets the weapon back to its basic stats. The +5 damage upgrade is gone.

I'm strength build, but still using a lightning spear +2 right now, and pound for pound, the elemental advantage outdamages all my weapons, even the ones upgraded to +10 (I'm taking in the consideration of DPS of how many stabs you can get off vs a heavier weapon)

Thundercracker fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Oct 27, 2011

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Hatter106 posted:

Erm, maybe I'm blind, but how do I open that massive gate in the Valley of Drakes? I climbed the tower to the right, and there's a metal manhole cover-looking thing up there, but I get no prompt to interact with it.

It's a scripted, story event once you get to New Londo. You don't open it from the valley.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

FirstPersonShitter posted:

The wheel skeletons seem to have been created when someone at From went "Hey remember those rolling skeletons from 4-1 in Demon's Souls? How can we make them ridiculously powerful?"

They're really not that bad. Weak against fire, so a single swipe with a +9 fire claymore takes them down. I never even had one ounce of trouble against them.

Then again, I died to the Iron Golem like 15 times, so... Dark Souls!

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
Is there any reason not to boost the initial Firelink bonfire to start you off with 20 Estsus or 50 estsus or whatever?

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
Finally beat the game last night. The fight with Gwyn was tone-perfect music and mood-wise even if it felt a bit cheap tanking him with Iron Flesh.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Vargs posted:

Similar to Nito (and Quelaag), I find it's best to just play it safe and block. If you try running/rolling away from his stomp and don't quite make it, you are going to get hosed. If you just hold up the eagle shield, you only take a little bit of chip damage and even have time to heal while he gets up if you want.

It is strange how underwhelming the big bad final bosses are. At least Bed of Chaos was fun in a unique, gimmicky kind of way, but none of them presented the same kind of intense fighting challenge as O+S or even the Bell Gargoyles (whom I still posit as ounce for ounce the most challenging boss in the game relative to your gear/level).

I really wish they did something innovative like the Yellow King. That was literally the most unique boss I've fought in a game. I think it's never been done before or repeated since.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Merauder posted:

I never had a problem with Tomb of the Giants either, especially compared to Izalith. I mean yeah, it's tough, but with some patience you can manage just fine. As opposed to the Dinobutt lava field, which is just miserable to look at, fight through, listen to (constant burning noise from wearing the lava ring & running through it), followed by an overly long & non-engaging bonfire run after quick boss deaths (assuming no shortcut), etc. Blah. gently caress Izlaith.

Lost Izalith is by far the worst: audio pain from the constant lava burning noise (seriously, couldn't they have toned in down while wearing the Charred Orange Ring?), visual pain from the blinding lava, and to top it off fighting the undead dragon-halfs isn't a challenge as so much a grind. You just keep dying over and over until you've cleared the room.

It is the worst.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

areyoucontagious posted:

So I never played Demon's souls, is it worth going back and playing it? Or will I like it less having played Dark Souls first?

Definitely play Demon's Souls. It's basically a smaller more intimate Dark Souls. Less stuff, less bosses, less spells, but still as good. In addition, because shields are nearly as good (I don't think you get a 100% block shield until someway into the game, and you can't block a lot of boss attacks), it's a lot more dangerous in many ways.

The only thing that was objectively worse was grinding healing/magic herbs instead of having Estus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

RabidWeasel posted:

Yeah this is really what makes so many useless weapons, the weapons with good light and heavy movesets stand out as being just plain better (hi claymore!).

Related: some guy showing off every weapon in the game. I found this pretty useful!

It definitely is weird how actual animation isn't taken into account DPS wise alot of the time, but I understand their thinking. So much of this game in terms of bosses is getting single attacks of opportunity so even a big swing could work out in terms of what it actually does in the game (especially if you're two-handing big weapons). But then you need a smaller weapon for regular enemies and a big weapon for bosses, which really isn't worth the effort half the time.

This is also the lighnting spear is a really good and awful treasure to give you 1/3 of the way through the game. It's base damage is mediocre, but between it's defensiveness, and the fact you can jab 2-3 times in the time it takes to swing a greatsword, it's actually not bad damage wise.

• Locked thread