Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I didn't really enjoy Demon's Souls at all my first time through 1-1... but immediately after that I began to like it more and more. Keep going- you'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

As a design nerd, I would pay gladly pay $10 for a Dark Souls "Font and Typography Settings" DLC. Easy with the leading there fellas!!

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

loving hell when can you even begin to fight a black knight? I'm 30 and he's still breaking through all my stamina and half my health each hit and there's nowhere to dodge because it's a small loving tower.

If you're talking about the black knight on top of the little tower, I killed him by luring him back to the red dragon and making the dragon shoot fire. It's cheesy, but unlike kicking him off a cliff, you can still pick up his items after he dies (if you're fast enough!)

If you're talking about the first black knight (with his back turned to you), I was able to kill him the first time I encountered him via endless circlestrafing / backstabbing.

edit:
I killed Capra on my first attempt :c00lbert: (although for around 30 seconds I was running around screaming with around 5hp)

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Please someone tell me how to backstab reliably. Lock on, approach from behind, when behind attack? Then why the gently caress do I either do a normal slash or he turns arund just as I am about to attack.

In this game you shouldn't align yourself straight behind them—it seems to work better if you're a little to the right. Lock on and try to stab their right armpit from behind.

Also, keep in mind that enemies twist a lot while attacking, so backstabbing is hard if the enemy is still in an attack animation. Wait for them to stand upright before attempting. Half of the time, when they stand upright again, you'll realize you weren't lined up correctly.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

I'm so, so disappointed that the Gapin' Dragon was easy. Argh!! The screenshots looked so dope, I had such high hopes, but nope...

The biggest threat in Blighttown: the framerate

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Does anyone know if From Software released patches for Demon's Souls? I'm really hoping for a Dark Souls patch after experiencing a series of annoyances last night (light spoilers ahead):

First I slogged through Blighttown, where the framerate is consistently awful for a full hour of gameplay and every single drat sniper jumps off a cliff and suicides. Then I went to the valley of the drakes, and literally every drake I fought clipped through the ground and fell to his death. Then I fought the hydra in the darkroot basin and spent half an hour watching its final head clip through a stone wall, shoot at nothing, and then slam into the ground 300m to my left. Augh! I can't remember anything half this glitchy-feeling in Demon's Souls!

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Anor Lando is the most tedious, repetitive, and annoying area in the whole game. Hallway » Knight » Knight » Hallway » Knight » Knight...

Also, I'm pissed because I had to kill the Onion-headed knight. He turned against me after getting hit by a silver knight. God dammit From Software, if Ostrava could attack enemies in Demon's Souls, why do the NPCs here stand shock-still around enemies?

edit:
It really is kind of unforgivable, because in Demon's Souls the npcs are either in the nexus or safe areas. If you feel the need to cripple the NPC ai in this game, then don't put them right next to a bunch of silver knights!

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Oct 20, 2011

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

So! In all of the previews of this game, the previewers said "you have a few options at the start—New Londo ruins, the Catacombs, or the Undead Burg. Most people will choose the Undead Burg because the others are hard."

One of my big disappointments is that it seems like the Catacombs and New Londo are basically impossible to begin with. Has any goon successfully started with the Catacombs? Is it even possible to begin with New Londo? If not, why didn't they lock it off with a one-way door, like so many other areas? Is it just to create the false impression of an open world?

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Dark Souls 1.2 Patch Details

• Mushroom Men damage doubled
• All Anor Lando rooms and hallways doubled in size
• All marble floors in Anor Lando replaced with poison swampwater
• Increased intensity of green filter in Blighttown Swamp
• Players can only read first 4 letters of user messages unless Guidance miracle purchased
• New monster: Item Mimics. Some items on corpses may eat you if picked up
• Peer-to-peer matchmaking now limited to players within earshot
• Increased subtitle line spacing to 400pt
• All item descriptions now in Wingdings until user casts "Ecclesia of Sight" miracle
• Doubled number of archers in Duke's Archives
• Looking at a Firekeeper "the wrong way" now permanently kills her
• Skeletons and ghosts now give negative 300 souls
• Increased volume of Frampt Teeth Clicking sound effect

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Almost Smart posted:

So for those who have played through both, am I alone in thinking that Demons Souls is ultimately a tighter and better experience?

I agree that Demon's Souls is a tighter and better experience. Dark Souls is bigger and expanded in every way, but in no way "better."

Ultimately, I think the open world system is the game's biggest detriment. In Demon's Souls you really felt great returning to the Nexus after destroying a boss. All of your friendly NPCs are right there... in fact, the maiden was always literally waiting for you to return. Dark Souls isn't short on challenges but it is short on rewards. A lot of bosses give you a pitiful number of souls, and then all you can do is just rest at a lovely bonfire in the middle of nowhere. Plus, of course, the overall storyline goal in Dark Souls is much less clear-most players will just barely know what they're supposed to be doing at all in their first playthrough.

Not to say I don't like Dark Souls. I just think it's a B+ game, whereas Demon's Souls was an A- game.

edit:
Also, in Demon's Souls, after beating 1-1 you can really do anything. 2-1, 3-1, 4-1, 5-1, or 1-2 are all totally beatable. Dark Souls feels much, much more linear (unless you're REALLY willing to put yourself through hell and try a high-level area too early). So linear that I wouldn't want to play it again right away. I don't know what I'd do differently besides try a different class.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 25, 2011

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Every single person who talks about the Tomb of Giants talks about having to get a "sunlight maggot" or "cast light." Has no one realized that, after 3 minutes of the tomb, Patches kicks you down a pit and you land directly in front of a corpse that has a lamp item?

I went in there with nothing and no idea what to do, and 3 minutes later I had a lamp. I think that's what the developers intended the players to do.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

I beat all of Lost Izalith last night... I don't think I've ever said the words "what were they thinking" at my television as many times. The first half is just a random smattering of objects in a giant lava-filled room, with the same enemy (who is also the most annoying enemy in the game) copied and pasted 30 times in random spots. Blighttown was annoying but well-made. This just felt lazy.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Just beat the game. Ending chat! Please tell me there's a better closing cinematic if I do the Kaathe path. A three second movie of my character catching fire? No voice over? Compared to the start of the game, the end of the game feels wrong.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

LorentzViolator posted:

Speaking of which, assuming they do make another one I'd be really interested in hearing people's thoughts about what could be done next.

I don't think this franchise needs any "new ideas"... what it needs most is for From Software to release a game that's super polished. Demon's Souls was perfect except for a few weird things that turned people off (world tendency events, learning curve). Dark Souls is twice as big, beautiful, scary, well designed, and impressive, but this time there are like ten huge issues that put a serious dent into what would otherwise be almost perfect.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Siegmeyer storyline chat:

Has anyone actually gotten the "happy ending" where he survives? People are saying that was just a rumor, like the pervasive "you can let Sif survive" rumor.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 27, 2011

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Oh, ha ha! I thought that the first black knight you encounter in the game always drops a Black Knight Sword. Turns out I just got really, really lucky in my first playthrough.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Gaping Dragon chat. I thought the boss was stupidly easy (so easy that I was actually disappointed), and a lot of people say the same thing. However, a few people say the boss battle is stupidly hard.

On my playthrough I noticed that, whenever he did his "slam head into ground and rush forward" attack, he would rush in a straight line. I could just step to the side and attack his butt—easy as pie.

But I was watching the 30-minute death video above and noticed that his gaping dragon turned to face the player as he rushed forwards. That makes a lot more sense, and it definitely didn't happen at all in my playthrough. That would also explain why some people say the battle is hard while others say it's easy.

Is this a big AI glitch? Or am I missing something?

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 28, 2011

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Cosmik Debris posted:

Where exactly do you get a lightsouce for tomb? I'm past anor londo and still don't have one.

If you can survive the first 10 minutes of the tomb, a certain someone will do a certain something that will basically give you an equippable lamp.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Dark Souls pvp probably feels crazier because the enemies and situations are much, much harder overall.

Reminder: The most infamously tricky spot in all of Demon's Souls was one semi-narrow ledge with two golden skeletons on it. I can think of a thousand places in Dark Souls way more evil than that.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Zain posted:

Finally got to Tomb of the Giants... Wow that's awesome that I can't see anything for my footing and the skeleton giants keep kicking me off because of that. This is probably the worst area.

Nakar posted:

Honestly it's fine with light. The aggro range on the enemies is remarkably short, probably as a gimme for the short visibility. If you have the Sunlight Maggot or light spell, you're able to creep along and spot enemies well before they even react to your presence. And if you don't have one of those... well maybe you should go get one.

Zain, I wouldn't bother finding the sunlight maggot or anything before continuing. If you trudge through tomb of giants a little further, you'll meet an NPC, who will "do something" that will land you right in front of a lantern.

I really don't understand this collective idea that you need a maggot before entering tomb of giants. The game literally shoves a lantern in your face 1/4 of the way through the tomb. How is sequence breaking and trudging through Lost Izalith—which is about ten times harder than the tomb, even in darkness—easier than trudging through the first ten minutes of the tombs and doing what the developers obviously intended you to do?!

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Much like Demon's Souls, I'm finding this game waaaaay more fun on my second playthrough. I can't believe I missed 2 full boss battles and like half of the NPCs the first time. Also, discovering Kaathe after beating the game with Frampt makes the story feel so much more cohesive.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Palleon posted:

Were there any good boss soul weapons in Demon's Souls? I recall most of them being fairly useless as well, but it's been a while (they were super useful for magic though).

I used to use the Morion Blade a lot.

"This sword will increase any damage by 60% when your character's HP is less than 30%. This effect is identical to the Clever Rat's Ring's 50% increase, and can be stacked with it for a massive 140% damage boost (not 110%)."

So if you kept your health low, equipped the Morion blade in your left hand and two-handed something like the Dragon Bone Smasher, you could deal simply hilarious damage.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

areyoucontagious posted:

So I never played Demon's souls, is it worth going back and playing it? Or will I like it less having played Dark Souls first?

Yep. It's smaller and uglier but more focused. Demon's Souls is a great vanilla ice cream cone with a dead fly on it. Dark Souls is a giant, delicious fudge sundae with ten dead flies on it. (Sorry for the really loving stupid analogy)

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Had a really annoying experience in NG+... for some reason, the red dragon wouldn't let me get more than a quarter of the way across the bridge before doing his swooping fire attack, which is an instant death. I tried 8 times and every time I'd get about halfway to the staircase before getting murdered. This is my third playthrough and I've never had trouble getting to that staircase before. I quit the game and restarted and then he did his "normal" behavior--sitting still until I reach the staircase. In conclusion, hate that dragon.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Elysiume posted:

Where can you get steel armor before you fight the gargoyles? I just assisted a guy that had it, and I can't figure out where he would have gotten it.

The first merchant you encounter in the Burg sells a chain mail set that looks like steel. It's the same armor that the mopey emo NPC in Firelink wears.

It's this set:

edit:
oh I just realized that there's a set called the "Steel set." I thought you just meant a set made of steel.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 14, 2011

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Bed of Chaos would be a spectacular battle if the holes in the ground led to a lava pit with monsters you could climb back up from, rather than instant death.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Megalixir posted:

I am actually really glad he pushed me down that hole in the Tomb. I mean, the event is basically scripted; slide down pillars and land right beside him, get kicked off and find the Skull Lantern. I don't think people are meant to take that area any other way.

Thank you!! I've been going crazy because everyone in this thread recommends a crazy-rear end method of clearing Lost Izalith to get the sunlight maggot before even attempting the tomb. The developers obviously intended people to find the lantern right there. This is one of those times where looking poo poo up on wikis instead of just playing the drat game actually makes things harder.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

There are two endings–you got the lovely one. Don't feel bad though, 99% of gamers who haven't been referencing wikis nonstop get the lovely ending the first time.

I generally smile when FROM does a dickish thing, but making the default ending so lovely is a serious, unforgivable dick move. They could have at least had another Old Lady Voice Over that somewhat explains what happened.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Palleon posted:

I actually did meet Kaathe, but decided to not do what he told me to do. Obviously this is the game punishing me for it. I guess what I don't understand (or forgot) is, What does linking the flames actually mean? What am I doing or trying to do?

Spoilers!

This game is supposed to take place in the distant, distant past, before Mankind ruled the world. The Lords have been ruling the world for some time now, but their time is coming to a close. Mankind is slated to rule next. Gwyn, however, has been postponing this age of Man ("the age of darkness" is what the lords call it) by keeping the fire lit. If you light the fire, you're basically becoming Gwyn and sacrificing yourself to further postpone the reign of Man. If you kill Gwyn and leave without lighting the fire, you're allowing the age of darkness to continue, as it should naturally, and opening the door to Mankind ruling over the world. I kind of think of Dark Souls as a prequel to Demon's Souls, but a prequel that takes place thousands of years earlier.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 21, 2011

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Locomotive breath posted:

Edit: Wait, the Gargoyles give 10,000 souls now :stare: So much has changed.

Good!! The most satisfying part of Demon's Souls was killing hard bosses and being rewarded with a fuckload of souls. Dark Souls bosses always felt underwhelming because you usually didn't get many souls or drops, you don't get body form like you did in DeS, and the boss weapons are lovely.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

waspinator posted:

Considering streaming a no death run today. Thoughts?

Seath Round One will kind of spoil it, but good luck-- also, you're totally hosed.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Blacknose posted:

I bought this yesterday and I'm completely stuck at the Bell Gargoyles. I'm playing a warrior, using a +3 longsword. I can get the first one almost down then the second one appears and I die every time. Any suggestions?

Dark Souls is a game of skill, but also a game of patience and endurance. For some boss battles you have to be really, really patient, circling around for a long time until you see a safe opening. There's no time limit so relax, keep a level head, and chip away.

Secondly, don't forget that the game is still an RPG at its core. If something feels really hard, grind a few levels. Damage is king. See if you can get a few more levels on your sword or use items that will temporarily imbue it with fire / lightning damage.

Thirdly, you might actually find it easier to go to the garden (below the first blacksmith) and beat the boss there first—it's much easier than the gargoyles and you'll net a ton of souls & maybe a Really Good ring that's kind of hidden.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Every time you complete a covenant action (kill a forest invader, kill someone from the book of the guilty, etc) the game should reward you with a free hard-to-grind item (twinkling titanite, gold pine resin, etc). There's no reason to stay in most covenants after you've earned the big reward.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

HondaCivet posted:

I thought I read somewhere that the framerate drop in Blighttown is caused by the enemies trying to calculate their paths to you.

Everyone says this but I'm pretty sure it's totally unfounded nerd speculation. Because if you kill all of the enemies and walk around the framerate is still total poo poo in the same spots.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

WalletBeef posted:

I can't wait till some low level griefer tries to invade me and then gets a face full of hot death.

That's what you'd think, but Pyromancy actually isn't so hot for PvP. A lot of the spells are really easy to dodge. I've never even come close to hitting another player with a Great Chaos Fireball, for example.

If you PvP in the Kiln and see what all the "elite" dudes are doing, almost no-one uses Pyromancy.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

DoctaFun posted:

I'm just about to fight O+S in Anor Londo and I'm wondering how far into the game I am? Is this like the halfway point? More like 75%? 30%? I'm having a blast with this game and I don't want it to end :(.

In terms of pure geography, "how much land have you covered," you're probably at 70%. But in terms of time, you're probably at around 50-60%. Some of the last areas can take a while to clear on your first playthrough.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Fingerless Gloves posted:

Quick equipment question; the Silver Knight armour. Is it worth upgrading or should I save the twinkling titanite for something more? I do think I need a new weapon too, I've been using the spear from Sen's since I got it. For reference, I've just placed the lordvessel.

You can make do with just about any armor. Since Twinkling is purchasable now, just upgrade whichever armor you like the most. I've had my rear end handed to me in pvp by people with "Seemingly lovely" armor.

The spear is pretty good, although you should know that the Anor Lando blackslith can upgrade lightning weapons or turn any +10 weapon into lightning. So if you're just using the base lightning spear and love it, upgrade it. If you're not in love with the spear but like lightning, see if you can upgrade another weapon to +10 and turn it into lightning. In my last playthrough I had a maxed-out lightning halberd and absolutely loved it.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

For their next game I'd love it if there were only 2 or 3 covenants, but each one was Really Unique and Awesome and changed the game in some significant way. Also, instead of the undead form vs human form, invading and co-op would be based solely on covenent. You can only invade other covenents and only co-op with members of your own. Dark Souls 2, the clan-war single player mmorpg!

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

I'd say the Painted World is my favorite area. In terms of pure surface area it's pretty small but there's hidden poo poo absolutely everywhere. On my first playthrough I didn't even discover the annex, which has a unique weapon, an ember, and a special armor set. Also, it has what I believe to be the best-designed shortcut in the entire game—just a big door right next to the bonfire. Finally, it looks Really Good and the boss is one of the few unique fights in the whole game.

edit:
Plus the undead dragon encounter is epic and puts the one in the valley of the drakes to shame

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Dec 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Gazmachine posted:

Oh loving HELL FIRE.

So I invaded this guy 3 times in a row who appeared to be dicking about. He had nothing on except Smough's helmet and was placing prism stones on the walls atop Sen's Fortress. He had the dark hand and nothing else out and he was using it to block.

I beat him three times...
(...)
Then he used Dark Hand on me. I went from 25 humanity to 15. I did not laugh.

That took me a loving day and a loving half to collect up. I want to remove his organs.

Um—I think you should realize that, in this story, that guy is the hero and you're the villain. Way to go naked Smough guy!!

• Locked thread