Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

Eddain posted:

But do they morph into Black Phantoms and horribly slaughter you after luring you into a sense of security at a dead end?

Oh my god if the disguise spell let you turn into a crystal gekko that would be the best thing ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
The box from Amazon was waiting for me when I came home! And I actually managed to cut myself opening the box, so this game is already bringing the pain :v:

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
So a question about Covenants. I'm currently unattached, but thinking about joining the Chaos Servants to gain access to some awesome pyromancy. My question is, if I leave the covenant later, do I get to keep the spells/miracles I gained from joining or ranking in the covenant?

If anyone needs help tonight, my SL 31 self will be camping out in front of the Capra Demon. I'm loaded with Pyromancy, and love helping people take revenge on that jerk.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Tamagod Sushi posted:

You'll keep all your spells and miracles, but lose your covenant rank. For example, if you left the Chaos Covenant at level three and later rejoined, you'll start at Rank 1 again. Don't forget to reach Chaos Covenant rank two for a sweet fireball spell and a short cut to bypass one of the most irritating areas in the game! :)

Sweet, now I can be the unassailable God of Fire mom always wanted me to be.

And personally, I managed to solo the Capra Demon on about the third try thanks to a mix of plunging attacks and fireballs. But I can see how people have trouble with him, seeing as how's he's right on you as soon as you enter the room and it's easy to get "stuck."

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Elysiume posted:

I'm back to never getting summoned.

Does anyone know how the Blue Eye Stone works? I don't get anything from being a Sunbro, and while I enjoy being golden, it'd also be nice to mete out punishment. It only invades the area you're in, right? Is there a level restriction, and if so, how large?

It seems to let you invade the world of a guilty player. Unlike the covenant ring, it warns the invading player that you're coming. I just used it a bunch in Ariamis and I fought people in both Ariamis and Dark Anor Londo.

The ring seems to drop you into Anor Londo, supposedly without warning the incoming player. Problem is, it drops you in the same place and there's inevitably a guy and his two phantom buddies waiting to kill you while you spawn.

Tonight I managed to do a little Darkmoon Retribution thanks to a really simple item: Lloyd's Talisman. I suppose that due to the fact that people don't use it that much in game, they aren't expecting it. But it always hits, and covers the guy in a little cloud and shuts down their ability to use Estus.

Hit them a couple times, they back up and try to use their Estus. Failing locks their character into a fun little "Durr, where Estus?" animation. That's your cue to make with the stabbing.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
That stuff about Rhea and the presumed fate of the other maidens is really cool. I love how much awesome/horrifying stuff is in this game if you pay attention and take the time to look around.

New Londo, for example. When the Darkwraiths started emerging from The Abyss, the decision was made to seal off New Londo and flood the town. Right in front of the great double-doors that lead to the Valley of Drakes, the ground is covered in bodies - just a massive pile of drowned, saturated corpses. The people of New Londo must have swarmed the gates and tried to get out as the waters began to rise...

What I'm saying is, you shouldn't feel bad about siding with Kaathe.

Dark Souls: Where the "good" guys are terrible, and the "bad" guys aren't as bad as you think.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Of course the bad guys here go around murdering innocent people for their humanity so yeah

Let there be no guilt! Let there be no vacillation! :black101:

Ok so, the Darkwraiths are pretty nasty all running around like a bunch of pissed off Darth Vaders and sucking the humanity out of people. But I was thinking of other "bad" characters.

Lautrec is cool because, at heart, he's just another player. So he kills the firekeeper - only because she drops a Firekeeper Soul! What's the matter, can't handle a little griefing? Sure, if you're one of those "role-players" it seems like an evil act, but the longer you play the game the more NPCs start looking like tasty sacks of humanity and souls.

Quelaag is a monstrous humanity-stealing spider witch but...she's only a monster because her mother, like Seath, tried to do too much with magic. Turned into a half-spider monstrosity along with her sister, Quelaag did the only thing she could - harvest humanity to keep her compassionate, frail sister alive. At least, she did until you killed her, you monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
It's great when you can use the environment to your advantage in PVP. I was Darkmooning it up in Ariamis and this mage-build decides he's going to fight me in that narrow, narrow pass at the beginning of the level.

It is very hard to dodge an R2 slash with a Lightning Zweihander +5 in that sort of environment.

• Locked thread