Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Here's hoping they added more unarmed punchy weapons. Has anyone bumped into some yet? They were such a pain in the rear end to get (like most things, to be fair) in Demon's Souls, but they solidified your manliness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I just beat the Gargoyles and rang the bell. That was a satisfying way to end a gaming session.

I know its been mentioned but remember if a monster/boss has a tail cut it off as these lead to weapon drops. This axe is too silly to pass up and I would hate for goons to miss it.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

VerySolidSnake posted:

I missed this and beat the tutorial boss without doing it. Do I just jump onto him from above and press R1?

This is how I handled it, too. Two jumps is all you'll need -- just make you back up after your first jump, away enough so you can climb up the ladder without him pounding on you. I'm not sure if it matters too much but I also did it with 2-handed stance to pad the damage.

Edit:

Nickoten posted:

Does that mean I should just use my humanity while I have it? No point in hording it then?

I pop them whenever. Humanity = increased drop rates.

You can also use one of your humanity items, and enter humanity leading up to a boss fight. It's handy especially if you can get NPCs to help you like in the Gargoyle fight.

Mayor McCheese fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Oct 5, 2011

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

GloriousDemon posted:

And whats the upgrade path on a black knight sword? What do I gotta kill?

2000 souls and Twinkling Titanite. It doesn't look like it branches off to anything.

Twinkling Titanite drop from Man-Eater Shells (The Great Hallow, Ash Lake, Duke's Archive, Crystal Cave).

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Nigulus Rex posted:

I'd prefer faster (I think). Is heavy armor reliant on strength?

Also, where can I buy some heavier armor? I started as a pyro so I'm not exactly wearing very protective armor.

Endurance is used for the gear you have equipped so for the heavier armor you'll want more endurance as the stat dictates how much weight you can carry with equipped items. You'll run fine up until you reach more than half your weight limit threshold and then you start to slow down.

You can buy some cheap chain mail at the first merchant you find, alternatively all the armored undead you'll bump into start dropping good heavy armor. Make sure you buy gloves as they are a bit more elusive to get.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Nigulus Rex posted:

Thanks. I think I'll leave my str at 16 and start pumping endurance and dex (I want to use that damned wingspear..) Any opinions on how much endurance is enough?

Your cap will increase 1 weight per point in Endurance. Most pieces of gear will weigh 3-5 weight each. The heaviest stuff is pushing around 7-14 with a few pushing 17 units. This is endgame heavy gear, though.

Endurance is a safe enough stat as it also increases your stamina gauge which is always good in general.

Also be aware that things in your "off-hand" alternative slots also count towards your total weight. So having a mace and a longsword set to your right hand will bog you down. If you're really ghetto you can always use one weapon with two hands in order to wear the ultra heavy stuff without spending too much endurance.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Sheep-Goats posted:

I'm not sure what all the conditions are but I heard if you make a "gesture of respect," eg., use the gesture menu, toward the sun you are given the lightning bolt miracle which has three charges -- maybe you also have to be part of the Solaire's faction, I don't know.

You are right. It's a reward you get from the end of one of the events with the Covenant, Warriors of Sunlight.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Nigulus Rex posted:

Alright, thanks.

Do you know of any high damage weapons that require a lot of dex? I only ask because the drake sword (what I'm using now) is just so good relative to anything yet that I've found.

I believe the highest dex you'll ever need in order to equip a weapon is 24. That doesn't mean you should stop there though if you're planning on going down that route as an archer, thief, spearman etc. as the damage will still be mitigated from the stat.

If you're going down a strength route 20 dex is all you'll ever need for certain polearms.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

DO IT TO IT posted:

I made it to the first merchant in the game (I think) in the Undead Burg. Is it worth buying a bow or spear from him or will I regret it when I find those things soon?

A normal bow will be worth it, the spears will drop for you fairly often in the next bonfire section.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Tokubetsu posted:

What weapons are you guys using/reinforcing? I'm playing a knight, abou six hours in and I love most of the weapons I have ='(

I love the big stupid looking weapons like the Giant Club, Great Axe, or any of the massive swords you find. The Zweihander is my current favorite so I've been beefing that one up at the moment.

This is going to sound incredibly retarded, but the hardest fight for me so far has been the Capra Demon with two dogs found in the tiny courtyard in the Undead Burg before you need the key to the Depths/sewers. Everything I was doing just did not work including running up the stairs so I can attack single file, going up to jump on the boss, focusing on monsters before the boss -- I ended up putting my heaviest armor and turtling in order to win. It took me about 22 tries until I found a solid way for my character to handle it and even then I had to make sure I wasn't getting screwed by the dogs.

The next few bosses after were refreshing after that.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Depths posted:

Oh jesus loving christ i hate it when i get boxed in by capra demon and the dogs.

This was one of the hardest fights for me in the game. I'm quite a ways in, too.

The good news though is the next two big bosses are push-overs if you keep following the path into the Depths.

I got very lucky with my last boss fight with the Steel Giant, he didn't grab for me once and it took me only 8 tries. I'm so glad to be out of that place.

The game is very good at making you miss previous areas and I didn't think I would ever miss Blight Town. I just started the painting so I'm hoping it wont be as maddening as tight-rope walking with assassins or dodging boulders.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Sankis posted:

Any way to sell or breakdown all my spare items?

Sure is, you'll need to ring both bells though.

Some brief tips before I go:
  • You can slide down ladders by holding O / B
  • Don't use the first two tiered usable Lost Souls you find, you can "sell" them later for 500 souls a pop
  • Buy a repair box ASAP so you can repair at a bonfire
  • Abuse monsters climbing ladders and ambush them, alternatively do a plunge attack from above and climb back up as they recover
  • Cut the tails off of everything
  • Reinforce bonfires, especially after boss fights as you'll have extra Humanity
  • Don't kill/attack Covenant NPCs until you're 100% done with that particular area
  • Piles of Dung can be converted to Demon Titanite midgame
  • There are 4 NPC Invaders, you'll need to be in human form to fight them -- they give a ton of souls and loot. One is near Quelaag's Domain (spider boss), Another as you enter the Tomb of the Giants, The third can be found in 3 locations: The Depths waterslide, Demon Ruins post boss, boss door in Lost Izalith; The final is inside the painting in the central plaza near the rotating statue
  • Block block block block

Mayor McCheese fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Oct 8, 2011

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Gyoru posted:

For those who killed the Ceaseless Discharge the hard way and want to see the easy/special way of killing him:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEAQSc_lICI&t=2m4s

The Hydra fight in Ash Lake is similar to this one. You run all the way to the end of the path with the Covenant NPC and it will bug the boss out which immediately kills it. It may feel cheap but there's still another one you have to kill later anyhow.

I died to a NPC invader and now I can't get him to invade again. Do they just stop showing up if you die to them once?

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

UberJumper posted:

Well i am SL 62, and i simply cannot beat sens fortress. Is there any other way than going through the giant maze of tiny balance beams and guillotines? I have been at this for about 4-5 hours now and i am really really getting frusturated. The worst part is, after i go through everything dodging boulders, the top room i always screw up the timing slightly. Or get hit by lighting.

It gets worse! :buddy:

When you reach the fog door, a little ways after it is a bonfire you can jump down on. That section is a pain and the game doesn't throw any curve balls at you at the next two sections either. Also killing the giant that puts the boulders into the machine wont matter as he'll always respawn. The other giant you should kill though after you reached the bonfire.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Mayor McCheese posted:

I died to a NPC invader and now I can't get him to invade again. Do they just stop showing up if you die to them once?

Oh dammit I think I know what happened. I killed the boss and went back to check the invasion spot then I remembered that killing the boss may remove the NPC from that playthrough.

Of course this happens to me the first time I killed a boss without dying. :bang:

I was so close to getting that stupid hat.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I never had a chance to try a pure strength build in Demon Souls so I gave it a shot this go around and I will say it's a mix bag.

If you're going to be going down this road expect to pick up weapons you'll never use or be ready to drop a few points in dex to give them a fair try; look at all the pretty spells, maybe cast a fireball or two just to see how it feels; weep to yourself when you see a zombie dragon or a hydra in the distance knowing full well that others are just sheepishly zapping them safely while you're running around trying to get your face bitten off so you can even muster an attack.

However while they are flipping around black knights, side stepping drakes, blocking harpies, fleeing from giants, we are grinding them into the ground or forcing them to recover after a well timed earth shattering smash with giant gently caress-off weapons. We combo in the single digits and we eat every attack under the sun as we lift a two tonne hammer and miss in agonizing slow motion.

Great Dragon Weapon Impressions:
I'll start with the Axe first. This is a beast and I much preferred using it over the Sword pre-50 strength as my 2-handed option. It's 2h "light" attack is a overhead crush that's reasonably fast. This will be your meat & potatoes for these two particular weapons at the 38+ strength range. The special heavy attack option is a bit niche as you have to wait for your big explosive AE attack animation, it's a shame it eats 40 durability per use otherwise it would add a very nice layer to the weapon overall. Once you get your in the 1-handed range this weapon adds a much needed horizontal heavy attack into the mix. The downfall is that it arcs towards the ground resulting in less than desirable range for crowd control and to make matters worse you do not need a slower attack for crowd control.

The Sword shines when you're wielding it with 1-hand. Your light attacks are your traditional horizontal great sword sweeps, these arc very nicely making it the better choice. It's heavy attack is the overhead smash. This smash will allow you to chainlock most enemies and is better used for single targets or baiting enemies.

Are the two weapons worth it? Well yes and no. The damage you can dish out is universally massive which means you don't need to juggle different weapon types or enemy weakness parameters. This makes most encounters brief as you'll likely be either chainlocking them, or one shotting them and for bosses the burst damage is staggering requiring only a handful of swings for many of them. They are also very very sluggish requiring you to time your attacks and learn how to deal with all enemies close & personal.

The Great Dragon weapons have a shorter reach compared to the other greater weapons, which can hurt in many situations where enemies are dodging back. You also need a lot of endurance to go with the huge weapons, due to sluggishness it's normal to be hit while swinging your weapon and if you're not wearing heavy gear you will be interrupted, which is enough to kill you in most situations.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Tgent posted:

Is there any reason to not consume the regular souls you come across? I know to keep the Boss souls around so you can make a weapon out of them or whatever, but what about the regular ones? Do they have some other use later on?

Don't use the Lost Souls you come across, the 200 and 400 souls respectively. These can be sold later in the game for 500 each. Other than that you're free to use to do what you want.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Guliani is HOT posted:

I'm pretty sure that was patched

It worked for me yesterday unless I missed a patch.

Funkmaster General :argh:

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Regarding that NPC he also has an evil brother so you may as well make friends with him later down the road (this would normally piss off Nessy).

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Hexempaler posted:

Trying to get summoned for The Depths's boss, but to no avail. I can't imagine why no one would want to go there! :v:

I never thought I'd be so terrified of monsters that look as goofy as curse frogs do.

Both bosses in the Depths are easy enough. Abuse the hallway for the giant rat, and the dragon telegraphs everything he does -- just keep your distance and abuse his recovery animations especially after he charges.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

dongsweep posted:

What the hell? I finally got the second fire soul to up my potions and the old turd is 'dead' Did I do something to cause this? Is there another way to upgrade my Estos?

If you just rang both bells you will find another fire keeper after you complete Sen's Fortress (you might not like this place). Also to note about this keeper is if you kill them you'll get another fire soul, alternatively you can use an item that will allow you to invade people and steal the fire soul if they managed to kill her.

Regarding the first fire keeper, the reason she is dead is thanks to one of the companions you save. It's part of a chain of events you'll witness later and you'll eventually avenge her.

Edit for minor spoilers

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Is anyone using Divine Weapons? I made a Divine Demon's Axe +5 and it's worse than its normal +5. It's also becoming hard to justify any weapon outside of my Greater Dragon stuff which is just miles ahead in shear damage.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Shumagorath posted:

Keep it with you so you can keep skeletons down. The graveyard loving sucks.

Are there more skeletons in the game outside of the Fireshrine? I haven't bumped into any yet that I can think of.

Hit Frampt when he's sleeping :ssh:

Mayor McCheese fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 12, 2011

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Rollersnake posted:

...you haven't tried walking past the graveyard yet, have you?

No. :smith:
The first time I entered the shrine I ran through to collect all the loot and never went back outside of falling down into it by missing the jump on the way to the top of the spire.

I completely forgot about the Catacombs.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Samurai Sanders posted:

So many skeletons. Infinity skeletons. Regenerating skeletons. Big skeletons. Small skeletons. Dog skeletons. Wheel skeletons. Skeletons until you want to scream.

Wheel skeletons :argh:

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Elysiume posted:

I looked them up, and lo and behold, they're skeletons with wheels. I feel like that shouldn't surprise me, but for some reason it does.

I can see the justification for a Divine Weapon just for those little bastards.

Edit ^^^^ THISSS

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Dirty Job posted:

Two questions:

1.) Is the gold-hemmed robe set worth upgrading?

2.) Can you upgrade it normally?

The gold-hemmed robes cannot be upgraded. It doesn't matter much anyhow, they are great pieces of gear as is.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Hexempaler posted:

Now tell me there's a shortcut back to Firelink from Blighttown.

About that. .

Reach the bottom of Blighttown, and then you can talk about short cuts. Worry about that first.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Also remember that after 40 Vitality you stop gaining as much health if you go down this road.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

WalletBeef posted:

Nothing and I mean nothing beats dying repeatedly while trying to retrieve your 28000 souls at soul level 26. I spent about an hour and a half dying, getting my body, dying, getting my body etc until I finally made it to the blacksmith to upgrade my stuff and level up.

Sweet jesus this game is brutal.

If you're ever in this position again be sure to use your sacrificial ring(s) this way you return to the bonfire after you die with all your souls, minus the ring of course.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

mistermojo posted:

2) In the Depths, I got cursed by the frogs and made my way back through the shortcut that leads to the bonfire/slime tunnel. I assume I'm gonna have to fight the giant rat boss after, are there going to be any more frogs? I got the cure from the belltower guy and I might as well pick up an extra cure just in case if there are going to be more frogs

You can skip the curse frogs if you take the waterfall down from the rat boss.

You'll find more frogs much later beyond the swamp in Blighttown, but hang on to the cure just in case.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

McTimmy posted:

I killed probably about 50 slimes and had all of 1 Large Titanite Shard drop. The guy in Sen's Fortress dropped 4 out of like 8 kills.

You should be able to make a lot of Divine weapons though! :v:

I had this problem farming Dragon Scales. gently caress those lightning drakes and their 1% drop rate. Speaking of drop rates has anyone been able to get a mimic head/hat? It's supposed to greatly increase drop rates and gives a 20% increase to soul count at the cost of being poisoned.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Tagichatn posted:

So just to illustrate how garbage scaling is, I made a new character and used the souls glitch to get str/dex/int/faith all up to 50. I'm looking at the true Greatsword of Artorias which has C scaling in strength and dex and B scaling in faith and int. With C scaling or better in 4 stats at 50, it adds 154 phys and 168 magic damage. The sword is also at +4.

Maybe it only scales from the highest stat, I don't know. It doesn't help that the moveset is complete garbage too. It's got a decent weak but the strong is terrible and takes forever 1h and 2h.

What's the soul glitch?

I agree with the scaling. It really lacks any oomph. Once I hit 50 strength I've had no real incentive to boost it beyond that threshold as the weapons are gaining like +1 every 2-6 skill points or so with a grade.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Funkmaster General posted:

Spoilered in case someone with no self control doesn't want to ruin the game for themselves:

First, join the Way of the Dragon covenant in Ash Lake. You will be given the Dragon Head Stone. Remove your helmet and use it. Now you have a dragon's head. Using the item again allows you to spit fire, holding it down to continue spitting.

Now, equip the stone to your quick select, and a consumable soul to the next slot. Turn the head on, and face the character away from the camera. Tap x and then immediately turn the character to face the camera, then, very quickly after, tap down to change to the soul item and then immediately press and this time hold x.

If done correctly, you will hold your hands above your head as though breathing fire, but the soul item will be used. This will drain your endurance UNLESS you have an endurance-increasing item equipped (like the grass shield or the child's mask). You can hold for as long as you like (or as long as your endurance lasts), and continue gaining souls.

Hahaha, oh god that's just crazy. It amazes me how people find these things.

Honestly with the Crystal Ring Shield and a stack of repair items I already feel like I'm cheating.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Man, the Dark Set really wasn't worth the effort but it looks cool. :smith:

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

tophet posted:

This game really confirms a suspicion I had about myself: I like easy games. I'm plugging away but I've played maybe six hours now and have just reached the boar boss, I'm terrible at this.

This is actually a real easy fight. Clear the skeletons and then keep luring the boar to the fire so it will kill itself, you will most likely use the pillars/staircase to do this. Alternatively if you're a real man you can lure it towards you for a plungeattack (don't do this).

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Dear Watson posted:

Does anyone know what kirks barbed sword stats are at +15? I turned it lightning, but am thinking of turning it back into a regular sword...

+200, STR/DEX: D/D

max lightning:
+220 / +224

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Dear Watson posted:

I'll stick with lightning then. I was hoping the scaling would be better

If you don't already have a non-lightning weapon then I would stick with it. If the enemy is weak to it then the damage will outclass any stat scaling by a long shot.

As much as I love my maxed Greater Dragon weapons the elemental stuff just destroys monsters with weaknesses.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

axleblaze posted:

I just beat the Swamp Boss without dying.

I'm sure after posting this I'll be told that it's one of the easier bosses, but for now a pretty dang badass. :)

If that's the spider boss Quelaag you're referring to then you did a hell of a lot better than me. That was one of the harder boss fights for me as a strength build character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Queelag was starting every fight with a big leap that stunned me followed by vomiting lava. I was horrible at dodging this. It probably didn't help that I was using the heaviest biggest weapons for a fight that requires a lot of side stepping and back peddling.

It was fun but a total pain in the rear end for my weapon speed. The only other fight that gave me as much trouble so far has been Steel Giant's grab attack.

• Locked thread