Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

Yog-Sothoth is the key and the guardian of the gate
the game hands you a fistful of fine weapons at the outset that you can easily upgrade throughout the game for almost any style, zweihander & winged spear in the graveyard, estoc from new londo, claymore from the bridge, halberd (or gargoyle halberd, or the axe is guaranteed tail drop) in parish. basically the drake sword gets you through the period where you dont really have access to upgrade materials- the depths, realistically, since you'll want an ember and the slimes drop shards as well as racking up a nice chunk of souls you can spend on basic shards from andre. even if you want lightning or fire or other later enchants it doesn't hurt to upgrade to +5/+10 in the meantime while waiting to ascend it. i upgraded the drake sword my first game and ended up with it until queelag, not great :/ swapped it out for a basic winged spear and did better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

Cleretic posted:

Mostly I think because dropping Super-Ornstein gives you both the Soul of Ornstein and the Leo Ring, while Super-Smough only gives yout he SOul of Smough.

ornstein drops the leo ring whether you kill him first or second, but it does affect what armor is available, domhnall will sell the armor of the one you kill last and ornstein's armour is prettier :3 plus yeah, ornstein's spear is a potentially okay faith spear but nobody is ever wielding smough's hammer. add to that the fact that super smough just has so many drat hitpoints the fight takes long enough that it becomes a lot more likely you'll make that one fatal mistake and get lightning-assed to death. so long as you can dodge ornstein's impale (or let solaire eat it for you) theres not really much reason not to do smough first unless you really want his hammer for the achievement

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

did take 3 attempts but killed bed of chaos woot, now i suppose i should somehow contrive to kill that pack of 4 ambushing worms guarding the large fire ember.. then farm kiln for some chunky chunks and upgrade my fire zwei to +9 and kill gwyn. I thought i killed all 9 chaos bugs, got the sunlight maggot plus another after that but i didnt see solaire again in the shortcut and the bugs keep spawning as normal. ihope he dont go hollow :ohdear:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

BigLeafyTree posted:

Small Titanite Shards: buy from Andre, Balder Knights, broken down from higher level shards once you wake up Frampt
Large Titanite Shards: buy from Andre, the slimes in The Depths, leeches in Blighttown (leeches also drop bundles of Green Titanite Shards, which you can break down into LOTS of Small Titanite Shards, so I like farming them better)

andre doesn't sell the large shards, the crestfallen merchant in sen's does along with green shards

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

Goggle Fox posted:

From what I've been told, if you've died to him once already you're stuck fighting him the normal way. Best of luck.

Not quite, but you do have to reset him by running back to where the gold hemmed set is at the back of his area and let him take a swing at you before pulling back to the fog door, otherwise he will just fireblast you at range

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

I regret going fire zwei in NG for that reason, I did demon ruins/izalith last of the lordvessel areas and i was using +5 fire zwei all that time, not that i got any red chunks from izalith anyway, just the ember from DR. had that +5 fire up until the kiln where i racked up the requisite 9 chunks farming black knights for a goddamn shield :argh: . Contrast to lightning, where there are vastly more generic chunks available, multiple slabs, of which the stray demon's can be gotten before you even reach the giant blacksmith. the giant blacksmith who is conveniently located right next to a lordvessel warppoint, and not in a secret room at the bottom of a dungeon without convenient access. on the plus side, gwyn and nito among others are like petrol soaked rags vs fire. on the other handy that's what pyromancy is for (and/or +15 with fire pine resin) and theres no excuse to not have pyromancy. don't go fire zwei :colbert: .

edit: chaos is also acceptable

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

that's the gravelord sword dance and you'll hear a scream right a couple of seconds before it hits, so start rolling. nito is easy, when you drop down into his room don't move except to dodge the sword. his attendant skeletons will reach you long before he gets to you himself, so take the opportunity to dispatch them with a divine weapon. now just wait for nito to arrive and fill him full of pyromancy. as long as you don't go wandering the giant skeletons at the back wont aggro and when it's just you and nito his attacks are real easy to avoid, plus he'll go down incredibly quick to fire attacks

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

assuming you explored anor londo you should have an occult club, which you can de-ascend at a blacksmith to a +5 divine. it's more than sufficient for the tomb, warp from the tomb bonfire back to firelink and run to andrei, as long as you don't actually rest at the bonfire, you can then homeward bone back into the tomb

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

alternately you can just beat them down until nito arrives, whereupon his own attacks will kill them repeatedly most of the time while you circle and burn nito, but getting the divine club is simple enough

edit: really the key to making this fight easy is just *dont aggro the giant skeletons*, pack some blooming purple moss on the chance you miss a dodge and get toxic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

i think all of nito's melee strikes inflict toxic but theyre hard to get hit by in the first place

• Locked thread