Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Crowbear posted:

On the floor bellow the door to the Taurus Demon there's a locked door that you can open with the master key. Behind it is a looooooooong winding staircase and he's waiting at the bottom.

There's also another door leading somewhere next to him but I didn't check that out since I just wanted to push onwards to the church.

Is that the armored guy with the big rolling pin weapon? Dude killed me three times and took all my souls :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Brigand? I guess it's leather? I tried it with no armour on and I still can't make it :I

As someone else mentioned, there is a way to get on the roof of that house, and the jump is a lot easier there. I think that you get there by going past the sneak attack skeleton near the first merchant but I can't remember off hand.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Heavy neutrino posted:

Well, I finally got off my rear end and bought a copy. Is there anything I should know before I start playing?

Some of the messages left by other players are trolling. (I got one on the firebomb platform in Undead Burg that said "Try Jumping!" :haw:

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

a shameful boehner posted:

God damnit I wish I had read this post before I started, I took the Tiny Beings ring and thought it regen'd as described.

Am I missing out on a significantly better starting "gift"?

No, they are all kinda meh

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Skyl3lazer posted:

Ugh I wish I had spare money right now I want this game so bad

Real Dark Souls starts here

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Played about an hour into my first game, including beating the Asylum Demon, with my HUD turned off. REAL DARK SOULS BABY

I still like to turn it off from time to time, it makes the game even more immersive.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Havel... you loving shitlord

He's been pushing my face in all game (I'm playing a tanky guy and can't circle strafe for poo poo) and I FINALLY figured out a way to kill him easily: lure him to the top of the tower and step outside to the staircase. He will retreat, and if you step inside the tower he will come at you and take ONE swing before retreating again.

I was hitting him with fireballs from my +8 pyro hand, hitting him for about 240 points of damage per hit. I got him down to about 3% of his health, and the jackass launches himself into the abyss off the notch in the stairwell outside, taking his loving ring with him

God I hate that rear end in a top hat so much :negative:

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Vatek posted:

I hate to tell you this, but you can go skins and just circle strafe him to death at point blank range with a reasonably quick weapon and he will never hit you.

That's not what I'm saying at all. The P2P poo poo barely works, 80% of my white signs give "summoning failed" or "failed to connect to session" and what few cracked eye red orbs I've obtained frequently fail to connect to anyone's game, which USES UP THE ORB.

Let me clarify: I am clumsy as a person, not as a character. I literally suck at manipulating controllers

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Drunk Souls is the best game. I got pretty lit last night and apparently I beat Sif, Sen's Fortress, picked up the lightning spear and got most of the way through Anor Londo. I have no recollection whatsoever of beating Sif

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Paino posted:

I'm in Anor Londo where you get sniped by the 2 black knights. This part is ruining the game for me.

Dark Souls has suddenly gone from "difficult" to retarded fat kid screaming "HEY LOOK AT THOSE TWO BIGASS KNIGHTS SNIPING YOU AND MAKING YOU REPEAT THIS PART OVER AND OVER, CANT YOU SEE HOW HARD AND GRATUITOUSLY UNFAIR THIS GAME IS? ISN'T IT COOL? HARD HARD HARD HARD"

Also gently caress From Software. Those arrows don't just knock you back, they knock you back and a little to the side, where you will meet your certain death. Good job on contradicting your own gameplay rules and making the game unfair I suppose.

In the little platform where the three or four gargoyles are at before you make the dash upstairs, you can snipe the knight on the right side with poison arrows from the right edge of the front left pillar. If you position yourself correctly the left side knight won't be able to see you and the right side knight (who you are shooting at) will only hit the pillar

Q-sixtysix fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Oct 31, 2011

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Marogareh posted:

I also didn't find that place rage inducing as others have since it's so easy to run up to the one on the right and bait him to fall. ToG without a light source in the beginning and fighting the skeledogs which rips through full Havel+shield with the four chomps on the other hand was far worse for me.

I waited until I got the Sunlight Maggot before making my ToG run, and it's pretty enjoyable. I dipped my toes in the Tomb when I picked up the light spell, but it was a pain in the rear end, so I came back later.

Anyone hating on the ToG should really go pick up the sunlight maggot first, that area is pretty fun when you've got a hands free light source

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Well I was all ready to go beat Gwyn, and I decided to go lay a summon sign down in front of O&S for laffs. I was level 94.

I got summoned by a level 84 player on his first playthrough :stare:

He summoned another guy and we went into private chat. I told the summoner to keep back and keep us healed, and me and the other phantom went to TOWN on the bosses. Got S first and then O, barely took any damage. The summoner was so happy he almost cried. I also dropped a Black Knight greatsword and Black Knight sword for him cuz I had extras.

Then I went back to the Kiln, summoned a phantom, killed an invader, and went and CRUSHED Gwyn.

NG+ for me. I love this game

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Shanty posted:

e: ^^^ Hang on, I thought they blocked chat or something? The fact that you just have to sort of gesture vaguely to coordinate poo poo is one of the best parts of the multiplayer!

They blocked party chat, but you can still enter a private chat

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Safe Driver posted:

Aggro them with a bow and run like the dickens to a spot they cannot reach you, they'll kill each other. There's some tangled tree roots kinda near the back of the area that works well.

Alternatively, bring a thousand arrows and kick back, hitting their big fat asses while you drink beer for an hour. That's what I did and Lost Izalith was a snap :)

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Edoraz posted:

Ugh God, the bed of chaos. What the hell am I suppose to do after killing the two root things?

That depends. Did you kill Sif or let him live?

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Edoraz posted:

I killed him.

Run up to the middle, there should be a branch you can land on. Run down the branch (toward the boss) and you'll see where you need to hack!

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

I found out what the language with the separation crystal means. The one where it says it's detrimental to relations.

I used it on sunbro since I needed to use the bonfire, and his summon sign disappeared. I don't think he's coming back :(

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Annoying Reveler posted:

Nope! You can kill Sif and stay in the covenant.

Yeah but you so get that special armor set if you let him live, so there's that.

vvv this is my version of griefing when I can't play irl, don't ruin it :v: vvv

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

FART BOSS posted:

Huh, I've used it on him and he always came back.

Really? That's a relief. This was in Anor Londo, by the way. I was making a run through to open the shortcut, saw his sign on the stairs and decided to summon him even though I only had two estus left and had to fight O&S. He sign didn't come back after I rested, so I got all depressed. I still love you sunbro!

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Chard posted:

I just beat Queelag with the help of some awesome phantoms, is there an easy way back to Firelink or do I have to slog all the way back through Blighttown? I found that shortcut door in the Depths (down a ladder behind boxes), but I can't find the Blighttown side to open it.

The other side of that door is also in the depths

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Sacrificial Toast posted:

On the plus side, he didn't instantly try to smash your face in from any distance every time you even considered pressing the item button. That's definitely my least favorite thing about Gwyn. It's ridiculously hard to get a heal off without giving up an opportunity to attack.

Don't forget, burning a humanity to heal is quicker than trying to chug an estus flask, too

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

NESguerilla posted:

Goddammit I knew this game was going to make it hard for me to enjoy Skyrim :(

I feel ya, bro. Dropped $100 on the game and the collector's edition guide today, and it's meh compared to DaS...
I'm actually considering buying a PS3 just so I can play Demon's SOuls...:suicide:

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Awesome Animals posted:

Alright, heading there now. I tried to take on Lautrec, but I'm not sure I'm strong enough yet.

EDIT: How do I go about upgrading my Zwei to fire?

If you wanna cheese him, you can shoot lautrecs companions with a bow. If you are far enough away, they won't aggro.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

So I changed my GT to OnionBro, got decked out in full Catarina set (including the pierce shield) and I've been getting summoned every three minutes or so in Anor Londo

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

Playing again for the first time after a few week break, and got invaded on my 360. I don't have Xbox live gold, is this a new feature of a patch? I've also noticed that there are signs all over the freaking place which I'd never seen before.

It was an NPC

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Stokes posted:

I wasn't feeling the Lifehunt Scythe at all at first, but paired with the Bloodbite ring it's been my favorite way to pvp so far. Blood loss is a bitch.

Edit: HAHA, just got my first rage message. "I'M WAITING FOR MY PALS SUMMONING NOW I HAVE NO HUMANITY YOU IDIOT"

My response: "The guilty pay the price"

I don't get the rage. If you REALLY can't deal with being invaded at a particular time for whatever reason, quit to dashboard. I did it yesterday because I needed to get back to my bloodstain for 80K souls and 4 humanity. Usually I don't, but hey, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

holy balls I just got a mimic to drop a symbol of avarice. I had no liquid humanity and no special item finding equipment on :stare:

e: oh I guess it's not rare anymore since the patch

e2: VVV yeah, I think so VVV

Q-sixtysix fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 5, 2012

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Fibby Boy posted:

You can look right in your "Players recently met" tab, select his name from there, and pm.

I'm still struggling along with the four kings. I've died so much that I've run out of transient curses. Now when I enter the fog gate there's a 50/50 chance I'll get stabbed in the rear end via dark wraith thrusting through the fog to hit me. Really beginning to consider re-doing this assassin character. That or just getting rid of her completely.

What level are you? I roll through 4K like nobody's bidness ;)

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Fibby Boy posted:

I'm level 50. Was trying to join the darkwraith's at a low level so I had less chance of finding people with ridiculous health totals to pvp against. Well, lowish.

Well I'm level 59. I'll drop a summon sign outside the door to the Abyss in about 15 minutes. Don't forget your ring!

e: I should probably mention my GT is OnionBro

e2: all right, shoot me a message when you do

Q-sixtysix fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 8, 2012

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Tm_s2eLGFc&feature=related

DS combat approached with Skyrim attitude

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

anybody know offhand if you can still buy Soul Spear from Logan after he heads off to the Archives? I bought a copy from Griggs already, but I'd like to have two :)

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

holy poo poo I hate the stray demon. I can never kill this guy

gently caress him I'll come back at level 120 and stomp him

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Just stick to his rear end, he only has one move that you even need to remotely worry about, and that's his cast explosion. If you keep to his rear end you'll be fine, and trigger his butt-slam move which will give you enough time to get in a bunch of hits.

actually I'm playing a mage with 18 vitality and no poise, so I've got plenty to worry about :smith:

Just got an interesting glitch: I spoke to Fraampt after I got the Lordvessel and he brought me down to the altar. I was worried that Big Hat was going to take off if I placed the vessel so I homeward boned back to Firelink, saw that he already left, and then jumped back down the hole and placed the Lordvessel.

I then went off to Undead Asylum to offer my humanity to the Stray Demon, and when I came back to Firelink Fraampt gave me the dialog as if I had gone with Kaathe. What a whiny bitch, I haven't even gone to Anor Londo yet <:mad:>

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Fiction posted:

Unless you really want those souls or the slab right now, just come back after getting the sweet-rear end endgame crystal sorceries and pumping up your VIT and just blast his rear end with spears.

yeah, I can wait on the slab, I'll come back.

Anyone have anything good to say about the Horn of the Moonlight Butterfly? I don't know if I should be spending my demon titanite upgrading this thing or what.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Chard posted:

Sorry bro, but your opinion of what is hard in this game is a bit skewed. I can honestly say that Jeremiah has never killed me or a party member, and most of the time he doesn't even get a shot off. Like most NPC phantoms, once you know where he spawns you can camp him.

Even without cheesing it, his moves are highly telegraphed and unlike most 'bosses' or minibosses he's vulnerable to backstabs. Combine that with fairly low HP and he's a pushover unless he takes you completely by surprise.

Farm Xanthous King Forever.

I found out today that he is extremely resistant to magic. Had to do it the hard way with my enchanted falchion :chord:

also add me to the GT list. Onionbro

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

About the only level I really dislike is the Archives. Hell, I didn't even mind Izalith, but the Archives can go to hell. Those drat archers and I'm always getting confused with the layout :argh:

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Wow, playing a pure mage is a weird experience after playing a tank. The scrubs are much easier, but the bosses are much harder.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Made a pyro for a SL1 run today and soloed Capra for the first time. I see what everyone was complaining about :(

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Baibai Kuaikuai posted:

I got to Blighttown with my Knight, and almost quit, basically, because I was so frustrated and sick of dying/failing. Any tips on making it easier? It's literally hell so far.

Are you just trying to get in and out? Do you have the master key?

If you answer yes to both, you can be to the boss within five minutes of entering and you only have to fight one npc and maybe one of those fire breathing bug things. I just beat Queelag with my SL1 character by zapping her with a +5 crossbow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

So I guess there is no limit on Darkmoon invaders getting up in your business. I got invaded by an SL50 player in Anor Londo and I'm level 1. :smith:

Anybody with a SL1 character wanna help me with O&S? Me and Solaire are getting our poo poo pushed in

e: I guess you don't actually have to be SL1 but I guess you have to be under SL10? Maybe?

Q-sixtysix fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 13, 2012

• Locked thread