Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Has anyone seen anything like the scraping spear yet in Dark Souls? I'm doing another run of Demon's and there is really nothing worse than running in to some no skill turd ruining you in a first run and having him destroy all of your poo poo. What a stupid weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's so obnoxious to even be in body form in that game at this point. The PVP is so broken. One of 2 things always happens.

1. early game, you get invaded by crazy level 10 PVP dudes( that are clearly in NG+ at the very least) constantly. They immediately realize you can't kill them and decide to be a good Samaritan and kill everything in the whole level instead of killing you. Thanks bud, but I have beaten this game 5 times already. I appreciate you ruining the level for me.

2.Later game, Some butthole that bought the game last week runs in with a scraping spear and thinks he's the poo poo because he just made me waste 100000 souls fixing my gear. drat, that's impressive.

My character sucks at PVP. I'm just trying to give it one last go before the new one comes out.

Read posted:

If you didn't see it coming I can see how it would be a pain in the rear end but I've never had someone successfully use either Acid Cloud or the Scraping Spear on me. They're both pretty poo poo really.

On your first playthrough? No way they are cheap as hell.I really enjoyed PVP 2 years ago but now I feel like I am just dealing with annoying idiots.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Sep 29, 2011

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Darth Windu posted:

Yeah, I love the pvp, but it seems to have devolved since last I played. I even tried to help someone out as a blue phantom last night, only to have them cooperating with a black phantom who soul sucked me to death.

It's annoying as poo poo but I doubt the devs were expecting people to take it as far as they did. I hope they take it into consideration in Dark Souls.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sweet. Good OP by the way.

qbert posted:

Does anyone who has it already know if Dark Souls has a Scraping Spear equivalent?

Haha. Seriously?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

qbert posted:

I'm not asking because I want to use it, I'm asking because it's an annoying as hell weapon and I hope this is NOT the case. Unless you're laughing at me for another reason that's over my head.

I asked the same thing like 5 posts posts up.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Darth Windu posted:

The spear is hard to avoid due to how fast it attacks. It doesn't do any damage, but if it hits you enough, you can't do any damage back either. And they can just switch to another weapon. The cloud I've only seen used once by a guy who would utilize the lag to backstab me and then cast it while I was on the ground. Very irritating. He sent me a message after I grumbled to him about fighting with honor that said "u mad?" so I assume he was from here.

Haha. I missed this when you posted it, but the guy that was pissing me off with the scraping spear last night sent me a message that said "U mad" when I talked some poo poo to him, and my first thought was "this guy is from SA". He ended up invading me like 3 times and we sent a string of poo poo talking messages to each other. Then he blued me, died in 3 minutes and invaded me again. I added him to my friends list. It was a drunken :downs: night for Demon's last night. I think my world 1 is mostly black now. King Allant should be fun.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

God those people are annoying.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

When do you guys think retailers are going to be getting physical copies of the game in? There are still a couple of indie retailers around here that will break street dates occasionally. I may try to snake a copy this weekend.

Harminoff posted:

That walmart is located in Whitewater, WI

It doesn't even matter. Big retailers have an electronic alert that prevents them from selling games early. It's pretty common to run into a game before it's released just to have them tell you they can't sell it to you at the register.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 30, 2011

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

enojy posted:

The local Gamestop here in Orlando, FL had their copies today when I went in to try and sneak my pre-order out the door; I saw the big box full of collector's editions behind the counter.

God dammit. I have a paper to write and now I know I am just going to end up on a mission to get someone to sell me a copy.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ha, I called around a bit to see if anyone had put it out early and had an unexpected conversation with a sears call center employee.

Me: Do you have dark souls
Him: weird, someone else just called about that right before you. It's not out till the fourth. I can't wait for that game. I took Wednesday off so I could play it. You should try Wal Mart. Someone on the forums said they are putting out copies early.

Then we continued to have a 5 minute conversation about Demon's Souls :)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

No homo posted:

Heheheheh.

Is anyone scoring CE's? As much as I want this game now I don't think I would even buy a standard if I ran into it. Although, considering you bought two copies I'm gonna go out on the limb and assume you are going to have a CE waiting for you on Tuesday as well.

I'm sadly going to buy both platforms too I think. I'm waiting for a price drop to buy the Xbox one though. I'd rather play on PS3 but I want the Xbox achievements.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, there is some bug or something going on that makes target switching way, way less reliable than in Demon's. I have gotten used to simply un-targeting and then re-targeting to grab the nearest enemy.

drat, that sucks. Has anyone heard anything about a patch yet. I hope they work the kinks out by launch.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 1, 2011

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

My brother who barely even plays video games, doesn't read reviews and has probably never posted on a message board just told me he was thinking about getting Dark Souls cause it looks really cool. The dude literally just has an Xbox to play an occasional baseball game here and there, and I think this is the first time he has considered dropping 60 dollars on a game in his life. It's weird to think that everyone's little pet video game has truly hit the masses and become a triple A title.

It's really amazing when you think about it. Most games buy their way into fame but From has really loving earned it here. I think there is going to be a large group of people who don't know what they are getting themselves into, but that's beside the point.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This sucks I am trying to pre-order the guide from B&N and they don't even have a listing for it. Do they not do pre-orders or does there strategy guide selection just suck?

Funkmaster General posted:

2) A friend of mine called me to say he found a retailer who broke street date (not that unusual), and claims that you can use party chat on the 360 version as long as you are playing in offline mode, which should calm down a lot of the people mad about that because they want to talk to people playing other games. He also says private chat isn't blocked during online gameplay.

If this is true that makes me even happier I went with PS3. People playing on Xbox are literally going to get a private chat invite from every goober that joins your game.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 2, 2011

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Leyburn posted:

This is terrible. I went to the guy who offers forgiveness to see if he can fix me, and when I choose ''Request Absolution', it asks me for 76,000 souls. Are you loving kidding me? That's an obscene number. Guess I'll be running about like a freak for the rest of the game.

Can you post a pic of your blob head? I am having a tough time getting a mental image of this.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

haha. Does it actually have any disadvantages/advantages?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How does one "break" a covenant? does that just mean you switched covenants or are there certain rules you have to play by in the game?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sheep-Goats posted:

It depends on the individual covenants. They have their own rules.

The Forest Hunter covenant is apparently super easy to break, for example. The, uh, critter who signs you up for it will tell you the rules but basically you're no longer allowed to kill any of the creatures in the latter part of the forest -- the trees, mushroom guys, some kind of other thing that I don't know what it is because I just read about this poo poo on a wiki and have to attack non-covenant players entering the first part of the forest and also the critter doesn't like that giant dog boss and expects you to kill him instead of letting him go or whatever which I guess is a thing you can do?. If you break it the ring he gives you dissolves

Others aren't nearly so demanding and you can sign on and say "oh yeah sure I can do that" and then put off what they ask of you for a long rear end time.

I don't know if you can have more than one covenant active at once, but I'm sure that at least a few directly conflict with eachother in what is required of you, so I doubt it's possible to have all of them active even if they do allow you to have more than one active at once, which they may not.

God that is cool. I thought the purple phantoms were the result of your own covenant hunting you down after breaking an oath though?

Dre2Dee2 posted:

So many broken shoulder buttons

Yeah. at the risk of sounding like the worlds biggest dork, it was the main reason I replaced my PS3 that broke 6 months ago. Not the big stack of blu-rays I couldn't watch and games I couldn't play, but the controls on Dark Souls.

Using LB to run in Dead Space on 360 hurt my finger and screwed the button up on a brand new controller. I'm not about to spend hundreds of hours using that poo poo to block. I bet they will patch it when people start complaining but I'm not willing to gamble with it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dear Watson posted:

So if your block and attack are the shoulder buttons, what are the triggers mapped to do?

I often forget about the shoulder buttons since I hate them so much.

Parry/heavy attack. yeah it's dumb.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Has anyone verified if the lock on problems are a glitch or if it has something to do with switching in the options? It would be a real bummer if it was actually hosed up.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just trying to get through Demon's 1 more time and it seems almost un-doable on my own as a melee guy without a bunch of unnecessary grinding at this point in time do to trolls. Like, king allant is a loving joke and I sure as hell can't summon anyone because there is 100% chance I will get invaded by some PVP fag with ridiculous unbalanced gear.

it's amazing to me that this game has caused people to literally spend dozens if not hundreds of hours building characters that will make the fight completely unfair. What kind of sad individual puts that much effort into an endeavor like that? I really hope people aren't able to do this in Dark Souls.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Volitaire posted:

Trolling noobs in Demon's Souls is quite a fun pass time, and I assume and hope it'll be the same in Dark Souls.

Trolling noobs? It's like giving yourself 400% health in street fighter and acting like a big man when you win.

I'm Sl 65 if you want to help a grumbly dude beat an annoying boss. PSN is Spread_Eagle1981

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Oct 3, 2011

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

OCT 4 2011, The real Christmas starts here.

...Unless you are in Europe lol sorry guys.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Haruharuharuko posted:

30 at my gamestop 5 for NBA 2K 20 for Rage and 5 for Dark Souls :gbsmith:

WTF I'm just buying Rage so I have something to put on top of my copy of Dark Souls so it doesn't get dusty.

(Just kidding Rage looks awesome as hell too but it's not getting played for at least a month)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ledneh posted:

All I know is rolling is for sissies. Put on the heaviest plate, the biggest sword, and the best shield you can find and wade into your enemies with no fucks to give :colbert:

I love how there is nothing you can do in these games that someone doesn't think is "for sissies".

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Holy gently caress. I don't care if you watched 10 hours of streaming DON'T watch the Gamespot review. It is literally the most spoiler filled game ruining piece of poo poo I have ever seen. Whoever edited it deserves a punch in the jaw.

The best part is that at the end he says "there is literally a surprise around every corner" after they showcase just about every boss and area in the entire game. Not anymore you stupid rear end in a top hat!

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Oct 4, 2011

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

lohli posted:

I started watching the video review, the first thing they do after some cinematic stuff is flash through a bunch of awesome looking enemies, stopped watching there, I think a review of a game is a little lovely if in the span of 10 seconds in it's already shown you half the enemies in the game without actually talking about the game.

I feel like it ruined more of the game for me than all of the crap I have watched for the last year combined times 100. The lack of common sense it takes to make a review like that is something I can't even wrap my head around. I'm never clicking on Gamespot again even for novelty reasons.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Couple quick questions.

1. Is rolling just nerfed or is it something I can speed up by leveling up now? If so what stat would would I want to boost to roll faster?
2. Why did I have 10 Esus flasks and now I have 5?
3. Why do vendors have 4 different prices for the same item on the right of the buy screen?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

DeathSandwich posted:

There are more stages to fast/slow rolling in this game. If you are above 50% encumberence you do the good old fat roll where you basically flounder on your back for a second. If you are between something like 30% and 50% you do the 'normal' speed roll that is slightly slower than in demons souls. If you are below 25-30% or so you do the fast roll which is actually a bit faster and takes you farther than in demons souls. I believe this is because in Dark souls armor is significantly more important/better/upgradable, so they added in a balancing act of sorts between how much hitstun immunity you want and how fast you can tumble out of the way of impending doom.

If you get above a certain threshold (25-30?) in dexterity and endurance, you can start doing backflips and poo poo in lighter armor.

Also: Higher dexterity makes you move faster in general too.

Thanks for all the replies guys. This is exactly what I needed to know.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Boy oh boy! I sure am glad they kept that awesome move in the game where you bounce back two feet for no reason when you hit the O button! It's not like it's a stupid useless counter intuitive prompt that lets you get rear end raped when you try to run or anything. It's awesome cause you can't already do that effectively by just hitting back+O, so i really appreciate it. Thanks From! I wasn't trying to kill that armored boar. I was just trying to get him down to a sliver of life and let him stick his tusks up my rear end in a top hat.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Oct 5, 2011

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I cant seem to equip arrows. I bought a bow and standard arrows and they seem to equip but I can't shoot them. This new double slot thing is confusing.

Mug posted:

Can't wait to flog this on eBay once Dark Souls Limited Edition gets discontinued.

All still sealed.

Goddamit, the US version is huge. I can't even get it on the shelf. I wish we got a nice box like that, that would sit flush next to my Demon's special edition.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Oct 5, 2011

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

NESguerilla posted:

I cant seem to equip arrows. I bought a bow and standard arrows and they seem to equip but I can't shoot them. This new double slot thing is confusing.

I posted this last night but Didn't get a response. Help?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh my god. Are shortcuts not permanent anymore??? I opened the gate in the Undead Parish and now it's closed again. This game is so much more aggravating than Demon's Souls at it's worst. I just want to make some progress. I have been playing for 6 hours and I have found 1 loving bonfire. 1!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Funkmaster General posted:

That shortcut in particular is guarded by a respawning enemy who will close it if he sees you coming. I've not seen any other shortcut get closed like that.

Oh, whew. That is a relief.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

So, I've beaten The Undead Burg and am completely incapable of advancing further into Undead Parish because of the two knights that absolutely wreck my poo poo every time I go through that narrow hallway. I'm level 15 and have a Piercing weapon, a Slashing weapon, and a Crushing weapon. So I can take care of most things, although I'm only doing 40 damage or so to skeletons so the graveyard's a bit tough. :(

Where exactly should I be going now? Do I just keep soldiering on, do I travel through the ruins so I can get hugged to death by more ghosts? I really have no idea what I can do at this point besides killing the same guys over and over again to collect a few more souls so that I can eventually level up and increase my Strength/Dexterity.

This is me pretty much. I could have made this post. I would love some advice too because I feel like I haven't made a lick of progress in three hours. I am bordering on not enjoying the game at the moment.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there any point to actually using humanity before i am going to spend it on something? If it is in my inventory I don't lose it when I die so what is the advantage of building up the humanity meter?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Take this with a grain of salt because I am still pretty early on in the game, but I really don't know what I think about Dark Souls yet. It's beautiful, it plays like Demon's Souls and it's really awesome but I feel like it's grindy and I realized that I stopped having fun hours ago. That sense of progression that made me love Demon's hasn't come into full force for me yet. It just feels tedious and confusing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Speedball posted:

Huh, I think I should upgrade my strength a bit before equipping something in the secondary weapon slots. Your speed does indeed take a hit even just going up to half your encumbrance limit.

That would be endurance that you want to upgrade.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Your souls will be at the top of the cliff where you fell Speedball.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm kind of stuck. I get totally destroyed by the gargoyles and I can't figure out what to do next. Is it best to just keep trucking and try and beat them, or should I consider going somewhere else and coming back to them. Every area seems pretty brutal and I feel like I have sort of hit a brick wall.

Also, I can't seem to summon anyone or get summoned, but I am defiantly online. What is up with that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

LorentzViolator posted:

I could only do it by getting into human form and summoning another person and the sun knight guy.
I think someone mentioned earlier that the only health replenishment blue phantoms get is via you when you drink a flask too?

Where does the knights sign appear before the gargoyles?

• Locked thread