Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Am I liable to get hosed in Dark Souls like I did in Demon's Souls if I spread my stats thin, out of a case of 'ooooh shiny!' weapon / style switching as I play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Is there any way to get into the Book of the Guilty besides breaking oath with a covenant? Like, can being a black phantom invader get you into the book straight up?

I feel like that would be awesome, you get the immediate risk/reward of being a black phantom plus any white knights out there can get their white knight on :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Leyburn posted:

I never seem to be short of humanity, even though I've kindled both bonfires so far. I found an item that said it would boost my Estus Flask, but when I used it, it seemed to give me an additional 5 humanity instead, now sure what happened there.

It also just froze for the third time in as many hours. It's like New Vegas all over again.
That kinda sucks. Well, at least in the case of DS it autosaves with immense fervor, so not like you lose anything but time vOv

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I don't suppose anyone in the Las Vegas, NV area has had any luck finding a street date breaker? This is turning into a miserably slow Sunday :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Pierson posted:

I hope someone tries to join and break as many covenants as possible and turn their game into a PPP (Purple Phantom Partyzone).

This will probably be me. My alt-itis is legendary and spreads to every orifice it can find, be it character, class, or covenant :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Is there an equivalent to the Evacuate miracle from DeS?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

All I know is rolling is for sissies. Put on the heaviest plate, the biggest sword, and the best shield you can find and wade into your enemies with no fucks to give :colbert:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I just got an email from Amazon saying my release-day-arrival shipping is decidedly not going to arrive on release day :smithicide:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Yep Amazon just refunded me a whole ninety nine cents for failing to ship today, and now when I try to cancel it says "We're sorry. An error occurred when we tried to process your request. Rest assured, we're working to resolve the problem as soon as possible. Please try again in a few minutes."

Of course it's been an hour, and I've got to go to work, so by the time I get home (scheduled early, to play Dark Souls :downs: ), it will claim to have shipped

Real slick, Amazon, real goddamn slick t:mad:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oh god the (burg boss) Taurus Daemon can jump up the tower I just had a loving heart attack :gonk:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I think I want to start again without having my Covenant chosen for me (stupid Clerics :argh: ). Is there any guidance anywhere yet on what the different Covenants give you/do for you/let you do, and how they get their vengeance on you for breaking oath?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I ate an invasion while I was talking to the undead burg merchant. Fucker backstabbed me while I was shopping.

Then I kicked his rear end, sea bass. :smug:

Then I used all four of my cracked red eye stones and got Invasion Failed on each. I need to figure out which covenant gives me infinite stabbin opportunities soon :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Pierson posted:

A little confusion over how the White Soapstone works. Is it used to summon other players to you, or does it let other players summon you to them?

The latter. If you want to summon dudes to you, you have to be in human form and find their white sign (usually before a boss or at the start of an area). If you want to BE summoned, use the white soapstone and chill out for a while, someone'll be around eventually if you're in a good spot.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I think I have to stop playing this game for a while before I break it. I pretty consistently use up all ten of my estus flask charges getting through the enemies in the boar room of the undead parish. Not the boar himself; just all the assnuggets surrounding him.

Gonna break my disc in a minute :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

If you're having trouble there, then you need to upgrade your poo poo. Or strategize more. This is not a game of kill-six-dudes-at-once, this is a game of kiting.

What I did was ignore the boar, kill everyone else including the dudes on the bridge, leaving just me and the boar. Then I hopped down in my lightest armor, rolled as much as I could to avoid this attacks, and backstabbed him with a Winged Spear +3. If you keep going and going, eventually you'll take him down.

You misunderstand--I killed the boar (through dumb luck) already. It's getting back through there that is ruining me. And I can't upgrade my poo poo, how am I supposed to do that? I haven't seen a blacksmith!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Jaros posted:

If you're dumb like me you didn't realize that theres a shortcut from the bonfire to straight under the dragon bridge, you just have to kick the ladder down. I kept fighting all the way through to the Parish and running out of Estus flasks by the time I'd make it to the caped Knights.

No, I got that one. I'm literally using all ten flask charges on the shitbirds in that one room.

How am I supposed to not get stabbed when I got two turtling shield+spear users and when one attacks and I circle round the other one stabs me in the rear end in a top hat? :mad:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

deadtear posted:

Kick them it breaks their guard. In fact can this go in the op since nobody seems to try kicking (including myself for the first many hours)

Seriously? Jesus loving christ why would kicking break their guard when a giant fuckoff morningstar doesn't?

:mad:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

On the one hand, I know I should probably feel bad for using the Drake Sword.

On the OTHER hand, I've not even made it to any bonfires in Undead Parish yet even WITH the sword, so it seems I need every bit of help I can get :smith:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Someone mentioned you could shoot the dragon from the top of the tower with the greatsword black knight on it on the way into Undead Parish. I'm on that tower but I can't see said dragon at all. Help?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Holy poo poo did I just summon an NPC to help me fight the Gargoyles?

And holy poo poo did he just kick their asses? :psyduck:

never leaving human form again

Also reiterating my previous question, where do I go to nail the poo poo out of that dragon? I have his tail, I want his souls :black101:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Just after ringing the first bell, I've been round to the start of Darkroot (up to that butterfly bitch) and New Londo (aahhh ghosts :gonk:). Which should I probably be exploring?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Sumixam posted:

That's pretty game breaking.

Forget the brokenness, that is just funny as hell!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Also oh my god I'm in the sewer tunnels in the Depths and a loving slime just fell on my head and ate me and oh I just had a heart attack and

I

I need to go lie down now :cry:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Is there anything the Master Key unlocks that nothing else in the game can? Turns out I missed an important door that unlocks with the key you can buy from the merchant in the undead burg, but doesn't unlock with the master key--despite it being fine for all the OTHER doors that unlock with that key.

(edit)

Meliv posted:

gently caress it. The Capra Demon is just luck and I don't care what anyone says
1) ready black firebomb
2) walk into fog
3) immediately throw black firebomb, gibbing one dog, maybe both
4) have fun

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oh great, now I'm cursed. And I guess getting cursed is also an instakill, thanks for twisting the knife From :mad:

god I hate the depths

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I know I can get rid of my curse by buying the cure from the female undead merchant by the lower burg, or by trading with Sparkly for the cure, but wasn't there a third option somewhere that I'm forgetting?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Something I'd like to see is one big giant map of the entire Dark Souls game world. Not so I can pinpoint items and bosses and junk, but just so I can see how the different zones interlink. The maps in the guide are good, mind, but that's a lot of page turning to find the routes.

When I was a kid I had something like this for Super Metroid and it made my spatially-inept self feel so much better about exploring, even if it is a bit cheaty v:shobon:v

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Filthy Monkey posted:

This is just about the closest thing to what you are asking for, as far as I am aware.
http://i.imgur.com/nto18.jpg

God bless you and god bless the Internet! This is exactly what I wanted.

I feel 100 times better about playing with this in my grasp. :D

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Does anyone know off hand what spell(s) Pyromancers start with?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ovaltine Jenkins posted:

Only fireball.

Booourns, my current character already has that.

Thinking of starting over anyway because gently caress CURSE I CAN'T GET RID OF THIS STUPID CURSE ARGH

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

A question about the Lordvessel and the ability it grants:

Do you lose the ability to warp between bonfires once you place it at the altar?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Cool, thanks folks.

Also, curse argh argh argh. I'm so tempted to just start over so I never have to deal with this horseshit since I know what to do about basilisks now. :mad:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Thundercracker posted:

If you go back to the Undead Asylum, you can trade Snuggly something ridiculously trivial for 2 uncurse stones.

I know. I used them all because I am a big fat aggressive pillock :cry:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Does being in a Covenant completely preclude me from being summoned by/summoning people who are in other covenants?

I just want to farm souls by helping with the bell gargoyles but I haven't had a bite in a half hour, maybe it's because I always go join Way of White immediately? :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Are you guys talking a bout two handing those giant sons of guns? Even with the power of poise on our side I can't even imagine going without a shield :psyduck:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oh lord I just went back to the Asylum after clearing the bell gargoyles and got my head kicked in. Ow ow ow. :gonk:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Yesss, gently caress you Stray Demon, guess who just killed you at SL20 :black101:

Used those 20k souls to buy that crest and check out this farming trick, and ahaha holy moly is the game ever broken as of this moment. I would feel bad about abusing this, but the game doesn't feel bad about abusing ME, so. :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Zetsubou posted:

Goddammit, I hate killing Sif. This is the second time I've killed him and I still get horribly sad/depressed about killing him. I got him down to his last slither of health and I just watched him for a minute or two pathetically trying to beat me. It's just when he starts triping over his own attacks and limping towards me, it doesn't feel like I'm fighting a boss anymore, but instead having to put down a dog. :(

Nooooo, why did I read this. :smith:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

What's the earliest, fastest way for me to join either the Darkmoon Blade or the Darkwraiths? I wanna get my PvP on :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Weird... I rescued Lautrec from before the bell gargoyle, and he was at Firelink Shrine for a while, but he seems to have vanished. And the Firekeeper isn't dead, so... where the hell did he get to?

I want his ring :mad:

• Locked thread