Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

a shameful boehner posted:

I love your avatar.

I knew from the first moment I saw it that that line would get titled. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Holy fuckin moly the Gaping Dragon (move spoiler) just grabbed me, gently dropped me into his maw, and started chewing :staredog:

I won anyway :smug:

I guess now I get to see if Blighttown is as horrid as everyone says it is. God help me.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

a shameful boehner posted:

Removing the Nexus was probably the best design choice possible. Not only did it vastly increase the sense of scale and interconnectedness of the world, it removed the feeling of having a true "home base" that the Nexus provided.

I know some people aren't as happy about that but for me it's great. I truly enjoy the thought that went into the shortcut designs in this game, and when I realized that there were elevators and little tricks to get to where you wanted to go faster a grin just spread across my face.

Removing the nexus turned this game into the best Metroid game since Super Metroid, and I can't thank From enough for it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Red Mundus posted:

Second this. Blightown is really very easy once you get into the swing of things.

However for some the lag will be atrocious. I actually had to look up at all times and semi-guess where I was walking because I was literally getting sub-5 fps. 2 month old Xbox too.

This makes me worry a little actually, because my PS3 is a launch-day unit (hardware PS2 and everything :woop: ), but it's showing its age, especially with this game, in little momentary freezes every once in a while. Usually only a half second, but sometimes as many as three.

I hope I don't need a new system :smith:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Barudak posted:

Its the end of the fight that gets you when the poor thing is flopping all over and it can't maintain balance when it swings. It feels really strange especially because no other boss seems even remotely bothered by the damage they've taken.

Sorry, Sif but hollows gotta hollow.

I really hope I don't get this far in the game soon because my heartstrings are ridiculously easy to tug :smith:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Is there much I should be able to do in the New Londo Ruins only just after ringing the Gargoyle bell? I went through, found a dude who I guess can cure curses, a bunch of items, and a couple jammed levers, and that's about it before I had to turn around.

I don't want to go to the Depths damnit :cry:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oh it's not the difficulty of the depths, I just hate loving sewers, I ALWAYS get lost even when I know where I'm going. :mad:

(Now, after the Depths I'm flying completely blind, this is as far as I've been. :smith:)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Well, Depths are done. I guess that wasn't so bad, though having the Cursebite Ring certainly helped. :v:

Now I guess my next stop is Blighttown? I... I'm scared :ohdear:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I guess ghosts is just bitches :smug:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

KingCrimson posted:

Finally beat the Capra Demon after what seemed like 30 tries. I don't know if I've ever played a game that I've been this terrible at and still keep coming back to. I've got 14 hours on my character so far and I've only beat the 3rd boss :ohdear:

If it makes you feel any better about your own skills, with that Capra demon you're more fighting the horrible environment than the demon himself, as I'm sure you noticed. :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Bowing sounds like saying 'gg' in league of legends or starcraft 2--an utterly meaningless pleasantry that people say purely out of reflex without any actual good will. Or, worse, that they only say when they win (with corresponding 'bg' for the sore losers).

So gently caress em and stab em, I say :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

GAY RETARD posted:

is there a moment where this game "clicks" or is it just going nowhere again and again? i love the atmosphere and aesthetics of this game, and even the gameplay, but i dont understand if theres something about combat that im just not getting, or if its just the way things are??

It's like Super Mario Bros, you die a million times and then suddenly you've got the pacing and method figured out before you even realize you've done so.

Only thing I really had to learn and focus on in Demon's Souls and this was: treat every enemy as though it can murder you dead. Because it can. :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Thinking of trying this again. Given that I never made it past the first bell, has much changed since release, especially anything that contradicts the strategy guide?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Finally ready to start playing this again. Since it's easier to be ~grossly incandescent~ now I guess, I want to try to do that ASAP. From starting a new game and not knowing dick about what's changed since 1.0, how soon can I join the Sunbros 9at least until such time I decide to join the Darkwraiths)?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Couple questions about console differences:

- Do the 360 and PS3 versions of the game share content in any way? (summoning etc)
- Does the 360 get much better in the way of load times, since you can install the game?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Really? It takes like a minute and a half from Load Game to actually getting in, and 30 seconds or so everytime I die/homeward bone.

My PS3 must be broken or something :argh:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I've seen two wikis for the game about, one on wikidot (linked in the OP) and the other on wikispaces. Is one more complete than the other by chance?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

If I just hang out in the parish and help four people kill the Bell Gargoyle, that's pretty much enough to join those sun guys right away so long as I have at least five faith (lol), right?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Got into the Sunbros last night, but along the way I remembered why I lose patience with summoning/being summoned: repeated Summon Failed and generally waiting around doing nothing because my sign will disappear if I try to wander around and farm at all.

:sigh:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Is a claymore something I can reliably use one handed, or would I want to be two handing it?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Cool, thanks. I got one around the same time I got the drake sword, but using that thing feels a little bit like cheating so I'm trying to spread my horizons a little. :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Another question, is there any real way to tell if my lack of summoning successes are from network misconfiguration or the servers being retarded?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

What's the normal order through the zones/Things To Do for a very first playthrough? I get so lost in Metroidvanias nowadays, I just rang the first bell and went to the Darkroot area and the lower Undead Burg and oh god there's too much for me to see :smith:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Do any weapons scale on Faith? I want to be a heavily-armored Paladin type :3:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

Yes. You can get any weapon to scale on faith if you make it divine, and a few weapons start out with faith scaling.

My Solaire run is very paladinesque, and using divine weapons is definitely a viable strategy if you have high enough faith.

Sounds good to me. I just got a Black Knight Sword while on my return to the Undead Asylum, is that a good weapon to upgrade to divine?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Given that I'm a Sunbro, can Faith double up as giving me some ranged offensive power, or am I still going to want to get some pyromancy in?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

What do indictments actually do? The ingame help is kind of vague.

Also just walked into Blighttown for the first time ever and oh lordy i'm getting a world 5 vibe here :ohdear:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 13, 2012

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

oh my god this place sucks

(edit) Is it me or are the strong attacks on the Black Knight Sword spectacularly worthless?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

SixtySix posted:

Nope, you're right :) Do you have the claymore from the dragon bridge? That or the Zweihander from the graveyard by firelink are good choices if you want a Big Sword

Yeah, I have both, but for someone with no shards and no other upgrades the damage on the BKS is Stupid(tm)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

SixtySix posted:

You can buy shards from Andre RIGHT NOW and upgrade either one

:suicide:

Well, it's moot right now since I'm stuck in the horror throes of Blighttown, so I'll have to come back to that. :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

oh my god a second bonfire there is a god after all

(edit) Is the boss guarding the second bell actually inside Quelaag's Domain, or somewhere else in this stupid fuckin swamp?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Okay beat that boss and rang that bell :woop:

... quelaag's sister :smith:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Barudak posted:

Do you have the Old Witch's ring? It really makes you feel great for killing Quelaag. Don't worry, monster. Its what any human would do.

Yeah that was one of the things I vaguely remembered from around release time, asking what the ring did.

i am so horrible :smith:

... oh god I've got to walk back all the way through blight town, I am no longer feeling sorry for the bitch :mad:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I seem to be lost. I went up a waterwheel and some ladders, grabbing a fire keeper's soul along the way, and now I'm at a point where I just got the Remedy sorcery from a chest. There's a couple ladders from here I can climb, but they both seem to go to dead ends. What do?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

free at last, free from the horrible framerate rape!

And got astora's straight sword (and a bunch of dragon burns) in the bargain! Thanks folks. :)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

One thing that made me steer away from trying a mage-y type for my first go is that the attunement system seems awful limiting. Like lightning spear on my current guy, for instance: pretty powerful even at a mere 20 faith and unenhanced talisman, but I've only got ten shots with it, so I spend the vast majority of my time meleeing anyway.

I'm sure I'm thinking about it/Doing It Wrong, though RPG hoarder syndrome sure doesn't help. :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I just turned my Claymore into a Divine Claymore. Was this a good choice of weapon to do this with?

Also wow gently caress Trap Fortress I'm going to bed :mad:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

How heavy is heavy? I figured since it was already going to be at least 30 faith so I can use great lightning spear, may as well go for broke. But I don't know jack and/or poo poo about what works in this game and what doesn't, especially when magic of any kind is involved.

I kinda wanna restart as a Pyromancer actually, now that I feel I have a handle on the first part of the game.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I think I'm gonna start again now that I'm more readily familiar with the early game. A few random questions before I do.

1) What weapon reinforcement types are 'best'? I know it used to be 'go lightning or go home', is that still the case, or are scaling reinforcements improved yet?

2) Can pyromancy be the primary focus of a character or do they still have to get stuck in? Would said need to learn sorceries/miracles as well?

3) If I go Darkwraiths or Darkmoon, am I most likely going to get my poo poo kicked in if I even try to invade?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Now that I'm starting again, a couple more questions!

- Assuming I'm playing a caster-y character, how high do I want to raise Attunement?

- What makes you decide between using a sorcery, pyromancy, or melee in any given situation?

• Locked thread