Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

ColdCock posted:

Does anyone know of a place that still has the PS3 Collector's Edition available for preorder? Gamestop and Amazon seem to be out.

Newegg did last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I'm making a pyromancer for a Fat Minister rp playthrough. Also, they have the coolest looking starting outfit :swoon:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Whenever I pvped in Demon's Souls I would always wait somewhere in ambush and attack them before they had a chance to bow. I didn't realize that was something people did.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Dan Didio posted:

That was a Wanderer that Matt was playing second, but classes are more 'what do you want to start out as playing for the first few hours to familiarize yourself' than 'what do you want to be for the whole game'.

It really, really depends on what kind of character you want to make. Want a Bow? Go Hunter. Want a shield and weapon and heavy armour? Go Knight. Want magic? Go Sorcerer.

But you're never, ever locked into a path. It's criminally easy to change up what your character uses in these games.

this is very true but I will add that, at least in Demon's Souls, it was somewat easier to have your magic user become a fighter than vice-versa. The temple knight was both but it doesn't look like Dark Souls has an equivalent.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Pallet Pusher posted:

I started playing Demon Souls after getting all hyped up for Dark. I really loved the game, despite not getting far into it. I'm kind of lost as for what I should be doing. I'm soul level 36 Knight (I think). Some of my equipment... Fluted Armor, Purple Flame Shield, Adjudicator's Shield, Spiked Shield, Quality Winged Spear +2, Broad Sword, Compound Long/Short Bow, Cling Ring, Thief's Ring, Regen Ring, and some resistance rings. Looks like I've cleared 1-1/2, 2-1, and 4-1. Pretty sure when I stopped I had some grand plan, but right now I have no real goal other than not dying. Someone want to give me a goal, like hunt down a critical piece of equipment I'm missing?

You pretty much have to bite the bullet, pick a level, and beat it. The weapons you have now are pretty good, although there's a dragon longsword you can find in 2-2 that's very useful for worlds 3 and 5. Consider wearing armor thats light enough to let you do the quick roll.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Darth Windu posted:

Forget the buckler, grab a heater shield at least. Shields that block less than 100% physical damage are pretty useless.

The adjudicator shield is good. It only blocks 90% physical but it gives health regen.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Well after watching the ign grindstravaganza a bit I saw an interesting way you can get more humanity and estus.

Sometimes when you kill an enemy the soul "mist" that flwos out of them will be a color other than white. Black gives you humanity and gold gives you another estus charge.

e: oops, used url tags instead of spoiler tags

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Sep 29, 2011

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

DeathSandwich posted:

So in the tutorial area is there any reward for killing the tutorial boss the first time you meet him before you get your primary weapon/shield? I was thinking when I got the game my first character is going to be a bandit with the black turpentine bombs as my initial gift so I can just burn his rear end out the first time I meet him.

So are there any ideas what some of those more obscure starting gifts do?

People have already answered your question but here's a video of a japanese guy who killed him by punching him in the butt for 45 minutes, enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzrQC5hlKOg&feature=player_embedded

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Zebrasectomy posted:

Just got around to pre-ordering this.
I never played Demon's Souls and I'm trying to figure out what class to start with.

Is playing a thief right off the bat going to be suicide?

Thief looks like one of the more difficult starting classes simply due to daggers having such short range. That said if you can't make it far enough into the game to get a spear or longsword or whatever using your thief starting equipment then you have problems beyond your starting class.

If you want a dex focused character and don't care about using magic right away then the thief should be perfectly fine. None of the classes will lock you in to playing certain way like they would in, say, Diablo.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The.GreyWolf posted:

This might be a silly question but do they count in miracles in the "over 30 spells"?

I seem to remember (possibly misremember) the game's director saying Dark Souls had over twices as many spells as Demon's Souls so that would be well over 30. I think Demon's Souls had 22 spells and 12 miracles.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

AzureEdge posted:

Pretty excited for this, gave in and pre-ordered it for the Collector's Edition.

Here's my code too by the way http://goo.gl/RSAAu

So, I heard in Demon's Souls there was a weapon or something you could only get if you were female, is there something similar in Dark Souls? Or does gender not matter at all?

I don't remember any gender specific weapons in Demon's but a lot of the armor sets were gender specific. IIRC they actually specified that Dark Souls doesn't have any gender specific armor.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

More importantly, is dual wielding halberds still a viable build?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

literallyincredible posted:

Also, I'm still really unclear on the difference between sorcery and pyromancy, can anyone who has the game explicate on that a bit? Do they use different catalysts? Are their spells different "types" (that is, in Demon's Souls miracles were nearly all healing or defensive in nature apart from that one wrath one, whereas Magic had like 2 defensive spells and everything else was killing poo poo. But miracles still exist in Dark Souls from what I can tell, so whats the distinction between sorcery and pyromancy?)

They require different catalysts. Sorcery does magic damage and pyromancy does fire damage. I think miracles have lightning damage spells now.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Zebrasectomy posted:

Question about strength and dex: Do they only effect what gear/weapons you can use? Does that mean if I'm playing a Thief I can get away with putting zero points into Strength and be completely boned?

Most weapons also scale in damage with your stats, strength and dex are the most common ones. But there are weapons that scale entirely with Dex (there were in Demon's anyway) so it should be doable.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Something Awful's 1-sentence review of Dark Souls is up, here it is for your perusal.

quote:

A brilliant fillow-up to one of the most unique and satisfying gameplay experiences of this generation, marred only by the fact that there are so many poorly explained systems which present less genuine challenge than confusing bullshit which detracts from the game's actual appeal. 9/10

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/video-game-article/orcs-must-die.php

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Oct 2, 2011

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

literallyincredible posted:

Demon's Souls had a bunch of gear (and a few spells) that were either *only* for PvP, or primarily for PvP. The Scraping Spear and Acid Cloud are one obvious, super-irritating example, but there was also stuff like the Sword of Moonlight which outside of the occasional knight (like the Valley of Defilement boss), was primarily just used for one-shotting other players when they tried to block, Firestorm was better than Fireball for PvE but impossible to get off in PvP if your opponent was any good, etc. etc.

I thought the sword of moonlight was actually pretty bad against Garl Vinland since he had super high magic resistance, which is where most of his damage came from. Its huge range and shield ignoring traits made it amazing for world 1 though. Just don't use it against the bosses since it has really long animations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ever played their Lost Kingdoms games for Gamecube?

They're like (Demon's Souls - 80% budget) x Pokemon Cards.

I had a lot of fun with them but, like King's Field, they're just so dated at this point I can't really play them.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I think I'm going to go Bandit with black firebombs to try and use that huge rear end club from the asylum demon as soon as possible. I have a feeling I'll probably start several characters before I beat the game though.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Gyoru posted:

You won't even be able to use it because it requires 46 strength.

Really? I had heard 30 somewhere. Maybe I should rethink my plan. Know how much it takes if you're 2-hand wielding it?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Minorkos posted:

Hi! I saw the Giant Bomb quicklook for this game and now I'm interested. I've played a lot of Ninja Gaiden 1 & 2, so which class should I pick? I understand that the fighting is much slower than in NG games, but I want to play a character that relies a lot on dodging and quick melee attacks. I don't really like shields or bows. Would the Wanderer be good?

Edit: Oh, the game isn't even out yet. Welp

Just fyi the combat is nothing at all like Ninja Gaiden. That said, you can play any character who has light/no armor (or in the lategame heavy armor and high endurance) as quick character who dodges as their main form of avoidance.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Can you switch between 1-handed and 2-handed as quickly as in Demon's Souls? When I played 2 handers in Demon's I would always carry a shield for advancing on archers and the like, and then just tap triangle to switch to 2-hand wielding my weapon when it was time to attack.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Jetpack Postman posted:

For you guys who've pre-ordered from Amazon and took Release Day Delivery: Did any of you get a delivery notification yet? The last time I did release day delivery from Amazon was for Bayonetta, and while it arrived on time I can't remember when I got the notification for it. I'm just hoping one full delivery day will be enough to get it to me on time.

I haven't received shipping notification. I don't know where the nearest distribution center is but if I had to guess I'd say 2 hours away in Spokane.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Funkmaster General posted:

It isn't still happening. It launched in Japan a while back. Either the devs stopped after the Japanese launch, or they were never doing it to begin with (there wasn't a whole lot of evidence behind that rumor to begin with).

If they actually were doing it then the online being disabled for a bugfix would have put a stop to it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Smelly posted:

I wonder how long it'll take before we start seeing no level, no repair runs and stuff.

I think I'd be most impressed by a sword hilt only playthrough.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Double Monocle posted:

If it makes you feel better, 90% of the soul level 1 is just spamming soul arrow or whatever the royal starting spell is at EVERYTHING. They get all the +% magic damage items and abuse "hyper mode" (clever rats ring / morion blade for about 60% more damage)

Hyper mode is actually 140% more damage. It goes ((1 * 1.5) * 1.6) = 2.4

I think a ring of magical sharpness on top of that would bring it to 188% extra damage.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

a foolish pianist posted:

Does the CE even have anything worthwhile? I don't care about the box the game comes in.

It also comes with and art-book and some codes for digital stuff. So whether or not it's worthwhile depends on whether you care about any of that.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ornamented Death posted:

So according to the Dark Souls Facebook page, the statues are going to the top five community members. The only problem with that is their site is hosed up and ranks are assigned randomly. You can be ranked 5000+ and get one of those little screenshot things right and jump up to the top 20. It really needs to be a drawing.

Well if the ranks really are assigned randomly then it essentially is a drawing.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Pierson posted:

Speaking of amazon and whatnot, is there any in-game benefit to buying the CE as opposed to the normal one i.e. items/skins/weapons like most games do these days? I don't really care about soundtracks or art-books and I have no intention of using a strategy guide.

Nope, they avoided that awful trend thankfully.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

WMain00 posted:

Well, when i'm playing RPGs I either like to roll a 2-handed tank or a high dexterity duel-weilder. Not sure if Dark Souls has dual-weild. Basically I like to get in as much damage as possible before the enemy can respond. My primary choice would be dual, with secondary a 2-hand.

You could dual wield 2 weapons in Demon's but I don't think it was ever actually a good idea. I beat Flamelurker while dual wielding halberds once for the hell of it, but I would have been a lot better off just 2-handing one of the halberds.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

UserMan posted:

To people that have already played a lot or watched a lot of streams, I have a question to ask. I remember hearing that if you beat the tutorial boss in the a certain way you got a special weapon, what exactly is this weapon and how do you get it?

It's a huge club that takes 46 strength to wield (31 2-handed). You get it by killing the boss the first time you run into it before getting your weapon/shield/catalyst. If you want to kill it it's probably a lot easier if you take the firebomb gift.

On a related note:

Other bosses have weapons you can get from fighting them in certain ways, and some bosses have random drops.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

Want this game so bad! Canceled my not-yet-shipped Amazon order, will be getting it at Gamestop tonight.

Now, what class to play...someone earlier said a Knight can get a lightning bolt spell/miracle? Seems like a good idea...my first class in Demon Souls was a Royal, but I rarely spammed my spells, only at the occasional enemy giving me a hard time, or when I was trying to kill things I shouldn't have been yet (like that drat Red Eye Knight in world 1-1.) Most of the time I tried to go in with a longsword or, in tight locales, a rapier.

Anyone can get that miracle and no one starts with it. I think knight is a decent starting class for a faith based build though.

Darth Windu posted:

What is the little gauge that comes up while fighting skeletons?

I think if it fills up you get the bleeding status effect. Speaking of which, I don't think that ever happened to me in Demon's.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I found a black phantom that looked kind of like a crab next to the enemy that's always at the altar in the undead church. It was bigger than a normal crab but hardly what I'd call giant, maybe 2 or 3 times the size of a basketball. It shot a few volleys of spines at me, but it eventually stopped doing much of anything and was super easy to kill. It dropped some humanity when it died. Was that a vagrant or a normal spawn?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Vanguard Warden posted:

Sound like a vagrant.

If you're on the 360 version, you're welcome. :smug:
I've been dropping extra crap all day.

IIRC humanity dropping vagrants spawn when you have some humanity, die and then die again without recovering it. I've been dropping a ton of crap too, the game sure likes throwing hollow soldier gear at you.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Skunk Ape posted:

Is there a warning or notification when you're invaded? I was exploring the Asylum again (2nd trip) and while fighting a black knight I was randomly assaulted by what looked and acted like another player, though I saw nothing pop up or any names or anything. I managed to escape the knight and lure the mystery dude back out to an open area and kill him, but it was pretty out of nowhere and confusing. He didn't heal himself at all so I'm wondering if it was an enemy made to seem like an invader.

Black phantoms can't heal themselves with estus, only spells, so maybe?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Willfrey posted:

I've read that there is a NPC later you can talk to that can get you out of covenants without any penalties, all it costs is souls.

Once you beat the Gargoyle bosses theres an npc in the belltower who sells the book of the guilty and indictments. He also has break covenant as one of his options. I have no idea whether doing that with him incurs a penalty though.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

YorexTheMad posted:

If I may ask, how did you get a Claymore to +5 so fast? I'm a few areas past the Berg now and I think I have a grand total of one Titanite Shard.

There's an npc in Undead Parish who sells them.

GaistHeidegger posted:

If you run around in undead mode collecting humanity but not actually un-hollowing yourself, do you still drop humanity when you die as well?

yes

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

ireladd posted:

No. Humanity stores itself as an item. Only the humanity that you've consumed and thus applied to your number in the upper left corner can be lost if you die. But if you recover your souls you recover those as well and your number count will go back up.

Sometimes you get humanity added straight to your total from a kill, rather than as an item. The smoke that rises from the dieing enemy looks black instead of white. There's no way to hang on to humanity you got that way other then not dieing.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Funkmaster General posted:

All these people asking what to do after ringing the first bell are making me feel Bad At Video Games(tm), because I'm still stuck on the gargoyle fight. I've wasted almost all of my consumable humanity summoning the NPC white phantom. I've yet to see a single other player offering help. I have the drake sword and I go in with firebombs, but neither seems to help much. The NPC draws their attention, which is nice, but he also draws them away from me physically, which makes it nearly impossible to hit them. Then he dies and I'm stuck with fighting both of them. They won't get far enough away from each other to make it feasible to hit either of them, and if I get bold and rush in I am always knocked down after one or two swings, which leads to certain death because it gives the other one a chance to block my escape route and prevent me from drinking my flask.

With all the people who were asking questions about where to go when I found the paths obvious, or how to beat the taurus demon who gave me no trouble, now asking about after that fight and nobody mentioning having trouble with it, I feel like maybe I'm being a huge dumb and missing some obvious way to deal with them?

Protip for fighting the gargoyles: The second gargoyle's fire breath absolutely destroys the first gargoyle. Once the first gargoyle is down just wait for the second to breath fire then attack it from behind/the side. If you can't beath the second gargoyle 1v1 then maybe you are Bad at Video Games. Persevere!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Quick question about Snuggly, are all her trades 1-time deals like Sparkly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Jimbot posted:

Has anyone encountered a Vagrant yet? I've been dropping equipment hoping it'll become one and give another player a chance to get something good.

Yeah, I found one in the undead church. It looked like a crab and dropped a humanity item. It was super wimpy.

SolidHavoc posted:

Maybe someone can help me with this- I was killing skeletons around the undead burg bonfire and my humanity counter in the upper right kept increasing, though I know for a fact that I was not picking up any humanity off of corpses. Is this right? I thought the only way to increase it was through items

Nope, sometimes you get it added straight to your total from kills. Look at the "mist" that comes out of enemies when they die. If it's black instead of white you'll get humanity. So far the rats are the only non-special enemies I've found that drop the humanity item. Which is kind of odd now that I think about it.

• Locked thread