Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Rough Beast
Apr 5, 2006
One day at a time...
I'm a terrible PvPer in this game but I keep stubbornly slamming my head against it just for fun. I'm in the Forest Hunter Covenant, but haven't made it through Anor Londo on my first run yet, so usually the process is hop in, get horribly mauled by some dude wearing the Havel Set, roll on.

Anyway, I just invaded earlier today and got some guy kitted out but of no particular skill. We roll around and flail at each other for a while, then he backs right off a cliff.

Cue a voice message from him cursing me, calling me a noob about a hundred times, and railing that he's on "New Game Plussss you loving noob I could've taken you!!!"

I love this game. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Rough Beast
Apr 5, 2006
One day at a time...

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Uchigatana is a good weapon, comparable to the Iaito but with an R2 stab that (in my opinion) is better than just a stronger hit of the same type. You'll of course want some dex to go with it since upgrading it to +15 will rely heavily on scaling damage, but it shouldn't be a problem.

You're one of the few people I've seen compare the Uchi favorably to the Iaito and I agree, the lunge on it is a nice alternate attack which gives you some real reach and occasionally surprises someone in PVP.

It requires a bit more investment (Dex) than an elemental weapon to be amazing, but it's a very solid choice that swings fast, can overwhelm enemies with rapid strikes, and inflicts bleed, which hurts even people who have really pumped Vit.

That Rough Beast
Apr 5, 2006
One day at a time...
I found Upper Blighttown a LOT less painful than lower, really. If you bring some moss from the trees in Darkroot, you'll be able to kill the toxic guys, and the loot is well worth it (rolled with the Eagle Shield from that point on). I didn't even really get the bad slowdown until I hit the horrible poison swamp at the bottom. That said, once you get that poo poo you absolutely will not EVER go back.

I love trying to sort out bits of backstory from the setting. If you look from a high place, you'll see there's a huge network of massive walls extending into the distance below the Firelink Shrine, forming these weird little artificial valleys. Blighttown is only in the nearest of these, so God only knows what lies beyond. I got some idea that these might have been barriers before the Kiln of the First Flame, but I'm not sure why.

That Rough Beast
Apr 5, 2006
One day at a time...

Ledneh posted:

Wait those statues come from other players getting cursed? Holy poo poo :darksouls:

Try standing in front of the cave where you fight Seath at a peak time and just watching the statues flicker, appearing and disappearing by the dozens. It's intimidating as gently caress, especially before you fight him the first time.

That Rough Beast
Apr 5, 2006
One day at a time...

cgeq posted:

So I haven't sinned, or killed Gwyndolin, but I still got invaded by a spirit of vengeance just before the Firesage Demon. I thought spirits of vengeance could only invade sinners.

In theory, yes. But with occasional online play/invasion bugs, it works out to be more of a gentle suggestion on the game's part.

That Rough Beast
Apr 5, 2006
One day at a time...
After beating Dark Souls but still jonesing for more, I went back to complete Demon's, which I had started but for some reason gotten distracted from. I began a new game and immediately noticed how easy it was, where before I had struggled. It's the same way with starting a New Game on Dark Souls, you just tear through previously hard challenges at an amazing pace.

That's really what I love about this series. "Being good at Dark/Demon's Souls" is a very apparent skill. I've never really played another game where I was forced to improve so much and could see the difference it makes so clearly, and that's deeply satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Rough Beast
Apr 5, 2006
One day at a time...

Mastiff posted:

Rolled through the Depths and Blighttown with little problem. Blighttown was fun. A good mix of enemies, with the only real disappointment being those mosquitoes, whose ability to warp through floors I did not appreciate (but prepared me for the ghosts in Anor Londo!).

Right now I'm alternating between trying to figure out how to use the Black Orb to invade the Fire Keeper's murderer, and getting gangbanged by ghosts.

Regarding the black orb: just carry it around with you, the game will let you know when it's time to use it.

• Locked thread