Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IconicIronic
Jun 15, 2008
I'm gonna have to say that I absolutely loved The Darkness That Comes Before. I agree that The Warrior Prophet was better, but the first book was something that absolutely grabbed me, especially as I was half-way through my reading of the first 6 or 7 Malazan books. To be fair, Erikson only started laying the thick-philosophy in Reaper's Gale. Fact is, by the time you're "old enough" to read/understand Prince of Nothing, you're "old enough" to understand that philosophy is literally opinion of perception.

Each series has valid philosophy, and you don't need to fully agree with either. All that matters is that it's possible, or at least, a possible version. In my opinion, that's where both authors shine; they each have their own interesting, and unusual, take on it. I would say ASoIaF is different, as Martin is a fantasy veteran, and prefers being as literal as possible. He's not unlike his good friend, Roger Zelazny.

Fact is, you need to be open to philosophy to enjoy Bakker's work. If you are, then you're in for a real god-drat treat. He near-perfectly meshes it together with realistic story-telling, which so few do.

Also, the slog of slogs was the greatest "decent in to madness" I've ever read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread