Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The books are much better than most of this thread makes them sound.

My experience of the books was like this:

The first book was a bit of work. I had to keep checking the cast of characters and the maps at the back to see who the hell I was being shown and why I should care. The book explodes at the end though, and it seemed worth it.

The second and third are fantastic.

The first two books of the next series have a similar up and down. Some moments are white-hot, and some are boring or didactic.

The big strengths of the books are that Bakker is capable in all spheres of writing. He can write battles, court intrigue, small groups around the fire, lone warrior monologues, the descent into madness, etc. and none of it seems forced. He also has a big plot in mind and he is happy and capable of doling it out in small measured bits.

His main strength overall is that he has a clear understanding of how to present a believable culture and present ideas through the exploration of that culture. Really a fantastic feat.

His main weakness is characterization. It feels like the idea that spawned the series was that there would be an protagonist/antagonist who had studied philosophy of mind and then weaponized it like a super hero. He clearly had in mind other characters who would bounce of this guy and interact with him in different ways so that he could present various ideas about consciousness and morality. The problem is that because what these characters are and what they do was decided in advance, he has to make their personalities fit his aims, rather than building the other way from the characters up. So, in total, the characters are less than the sum of the book.

I don't think this hurts, because the series is, at bottom, a bunch of ideas pasted into the epic fantasy genre. But, if you're expecting a character you can understand outside of his role in the story, you're out of luck. This is a deal breaker for some people.

Finally, to address the "demon semen" thing. People point this out when they don't like the book, because it makes the book sound like it's trying too hard to be grimdark fantasy, and therefore easy to mock. It's not an intellectually honest argument. Those scenes are few and far between (I think there are 2 or 3 in the whole first trilogy, and one is an epilogue meant for us to realize that poo poo JUST GOT REAL). Further, the characters who act that way are so removed from the reader (we are almost never in their heads, and certainly not on the few occasions when they are doing their grimdark thing--that's always from the perspective of the victim, which makes them properly horrifying) that there is no glamourization or sensationalism associated with it.

In sum, they're a good read, and they are similar to Dune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I think that Bakker would like you to buy that the ability comes from the fact that all people except Kellhus are slaves to their cognitive/observational inability to percieve. How much you want to buy that is up to you. If it helps, you can just pretend that it's magic.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
My own half-cooked theory is that Kellhus is going after the Consult to get the Tekhne (or whatever it's called)since then he will control all possible avenues of power (Dunyain, sorcery, tekhne).

Then, once he's done that, he is going to create oblivion. He is going to literally try to create 'the darkness that comes before.' He will have to destroy the Gods and the world to do this.

To me, this is the only motivation that makes sense for him. This is the goal he was raised to know--and it seems like that is where the thousandfold thought would take him.

Also, it makes sense in terms of Bakker's interest in cognition and turning genre on its head. The normal fantasy protagonist brings light back to the world. Kellhus wants to bring darkness.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

JLightning posted:

Just want to point out a couple things about the Dunyain. First, we haven't had any POV from them other than Kellhus so we don't know anything about what they expect from his trip. Also, Kellhus had no freaking clue sorcery was a thing so I'd assume they don't either and therefore couldn't expect "someone like" Achamian to come looking for them because (in my mind at least) there's a big discrepancy between normal world-born men and sorcerers who know of and distrust the dunyain.

It's been a while since I've read the last book, but that battle with Achamian, Incariol and the dragon took place at Sauglish not Ishual, right? I don't think we've heard anything about Ishual since Kellhus left unless I missed (or just don't remember) some of the end of TWLW

Well, we also have the bit from the prologue of TDTCB, where they guy says the kid "has nothing to fear" because they are Dunyain. Of course, they went from that to paralyzing disabled people and cutting the skin off their faces, so "nothing to fear" may have been misleading.

Overall all though, I think the Dunyain might be a problem for the author. It's going to be hard reconcile people who want to master circumstance but know nothing about circumstances.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Maytag posted:

I think you're wrong about the Dunyain knowing nothing of circumstances being a hindrance.

They understand there are a finite number of things that move people, they understand the reaction and instinct of people, so particulars aren't that important.

Kellhus took over the known world in a ridiculously short amount of time knowing nothing of the known world.

I'm not talking about the Dunyain, I'm talking about the writer. Kelhus lucked into a lot of stuff, particularly in the first book, because the plot needed to move, and his abilities are never fully explained, so whatever he needs to get done, gets done. This is not a criticism--I think Bakker made it seem as plausible as he could.

What I am saying is that he is going to have more trouble making it plausible that a whole race of Kelhus-types would just continue to ignore circumstance, rather than acting like Kelhus did. Either they are naive about socery (like Kelhus was) and get iced by Akka, or they master all circumstance and come out of their hole. I think it will be hard for Bakker to thread the needle between those two in a plausible way.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Gunslinger posted:

I'm about halfway through The Darkness that Comes Before and it feels like this just isn't clicking for me. It's like the worst parts of a Steven Erikson book without any decent characterization. It seems like every character introduced is yet another political schemer, small piece on a large chess board blah blah. He's throwing out factions, names and kingdoms practically at random. I feel like I'm almost overwhelmed with information but I barely know anything at all about the various characters and backstory.

Does this improve? I wanted to like this guys stuff, hes from my hometown but it seems like it's not my thing. If it was just his first book and the series greatly improves then I'll stick with it.

I found the same thing, but I stuck it out and referred to the indexes at the back a lot. The book ends strong and the next two keep it up. I think it would be worth it to stick it out. If you still don't like it by the middle of the second book, I would just drop it though.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

savinhill posted:

What culture are the Skylvendi supposed to be like? I picture them to be a mixture of Mongols and American Indians.

Also, I always thought Zeum was Africa but I saw someone say Japan.

I believe they are dark-skinned people with a Japanese style culture.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Sharmat posted:

It's a really Christian thing to do in a world where religions very similar to the abrahamic group are a major theme. And also it's just an incredibly profound thing to do, to forgive such a violation. The same for forgiving murder, just y'know, with sex. Because everything is sex in Bakkerworld. Considering that Mimara literally being able to see morality is a big plot point I felt that was fine.

I think the most uncomfortable potentially sexist thing for me in the books wasn't even explicitly sexual at all. Esmenet flees the Andiamine Heights to hide in...a brothel. Just in case we forgot she used to be a prostitute.

I can't remember how much she does it in the second trilogy, but it seemed like she couldn't go five minutes in the first one without looking at the prostitute tattoo on her hand and remarking to herself on how it made her feel. That along with "hide in a brothel" thing to me really shows how Bakker's reach exceeded his grasp with the point I think he was trying to make.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Maytag posted:

Esmenet running back to a brothel had nothing to do with reminding us she was a prostitute.

Of course it did. You're really saying that there's no greater meaning to be taken from that sequence? The most powerful woman in the empire, when threatened, has no choice but to return to a brothel just like where she started. It's practically a sledgehammer of symbolism.

quote:

Also, there's a big difference between not wanting to read this particular subject matter and spouting off that writing about such makes someone a bad, tasteless author.

I don't know who you're addressing with this. Writing badly about this sort of thing will come off worse than writing badly about other things. That's the risk that Bakker decided to take, and obviously some people feel he didn't pull it off. I don't see anyone here suggesting that merely writing about misogyny and related acts makes you a bad author.

Just to be clear, I like the books and think they are worth discussing, but I don't think Bakker completely suceeded in everything he's tried to do so far. He has suceeded in an awful lot though.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OriginalPseudonym posted:

I'm going to poo poo bricks when Achamian gets there and finds Cnaiur sitting on top of a pile of Dunyain corpses.

I would like to see this so much, but Kelhus could already do so much superhero stuff even before he got magick'd that it'd take some major power-ups even for Cnaiur.

Seldom Posts fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 5, 2012

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ambiguatron posted:

I was floored when Maithanet dropped that he'd deduced Kellhus' rationale for leaving Esmenet in charge of the Empire. Bakker's work is a rare example of an author presenting a protagonist who is unfettered from conventional morality, and pulling it off rather than devolving into a self-empowerment fantasy.

eh, I don't know if we'll able to say if he "pulled it off" until the end, since it's clear that Kellhus developed his plan while he was still a POV character, but it was kept from the reader. It'll be interesting to see if it coheres once we see the endgame.

Also, one of the things I really didn't like about the series was how stupid powerful Kellhus was before he learned sorcery--the first book in particular did read a lot like a self-empowerment fantasy to me.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Edged Hymn posted:

I despise Kellhus as a person, but not as a character. Consider training yourself for your entire life to read the faces of men, what drives them and how they understand the world, and I don't think his mastering everything put before him is some thinly veiled mary sue power fantasy. The man is a human being honed to its full potential.

I buy the face-reading thing to an extent, but when he starts seeing what is essentially their internal monologue, then catching arrows in mid air and dangling the most violent of all men off a cliff by one hand, it breaks verisimilitude and creeps into power fantasy.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Edged Hymn posted:

but the fact is the rothfuss and grrm threads are huge (and although the asoiaf thread is a bit more tongue-in-cheek), I can't stand reading posts written by goons about how much they tsked tsked over rothfuss' new blog post, and how grrm is a creepy fat gently caress. it's like they're ashamed to enjoy something written by the kind of person this community shuns, so they have to constantly remind the fanbase just how repulsed they are by this author. while they're pre-ordering winds of winter or whatever the new kvothe poo poo is.

Bit of a derail: I can't stand those threads either, but there are basically two big themes for the SA forums:
1) Intelligent people discuss books/art they love.
2) Self-hating nerds mentally flog themselves.

There is, not suprisingly, a lot of crossover, and stuff like the GRRM thread is a good example of it. There are other threads that are only one or the other. (i.e. the Bibeau thread is only #2, the McCarthy thread is only #1). This thread is more #1 but you can see how it can start to slip into #2.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

quote:

NihilCredo said:

But far more enjoyable than what was written was what wasn't written: the way Kellhus doesn't spend a single thought on any of his crimes or on any sort of transcendental concern whatsoever is what really made him unique and memorable

Just so I am clear, you like him because he is a sociopath? Because I found that pretty irritating after awhile. Yes, I get that he's supposed to be the opposite of your typical fantasy hero, but the whole "can do anything, doesn't give a poo poo about anyone" I found just as grating in short order as the typical "we have to save everyone" stuff from stereotypical fantasy.

Here's another quesiton from the first trilogy. Why did the Consult kill the Emperor at the end? I've chalked it up it being part of their adjustment to Kelhus (i.e. they want him to come to power even faster) but is there some other more obvious reason I'm missing?

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Maytag posted:

Kellhus is not the protagonist. He is not the hero.

That's an over simplification. We're obviously meant to see him as such at first. The first chapter of the first book of the first trilogy has him setting off on a heroic quest to find his father. It hits a lot of tropes just for that reason. He's clearly a protagonist of the first trilogy. It's only as we read that we learn he's not the hero.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Maytag posted:

The protagonist is the one the audience is supposed to chiefly identify with. You should realize by the second book of the entire series that this is not Kellhus.

No, that is not a protagonist. No story demands that we identify with anyone. A protagonist is a 'prime mover' or 'prime actor.' They are a character whom we follow closely and from whose perspective we see some or all the events of the novel.

The protagonists in the first trilogy are Kelhus, Akka, Cnair, and Esement. The game Bakker is playing is making characters we think are going to be heroes (Kelhus and Cnair) turn out to be thoroughly unlikeable. So they're not heroes, but they are protagonists. Akka and Esement are arguably heroes--Akka for sure I would say.

Of course, I am pretty sure the reason Bakker has made those two heroes is so he can show how their freewill was dominated by Kelhus ALL ALONG and see how consciousness is an illusion man?

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Kellhus was a monstrous rear end in a top hat in the very first chapter of the very first book, did some of you really miss that?

Apparently you missed that no one missed that.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tres Burritos posted:

Ok so I just finished the third book and I don't think I'm likely to read any more of these. No specific reason, it just seems like too much loving work to keep reading all this crazy poo poo. A couple of questions:

1) Does it ever explain what the "Thousandfold Thought" is?

No, not really.

2) What the gently caress happened to Achamian, he was whisked away by a Scarlet Spires demon and then gently brought to a beach?

I think he won the fight, and then just lay down to rest.

3) Cnaiur was just sort of left in the cave all alone licking salt statues?

It's left ambiguous, but he is planning to draw a swazond across his throat with his last thoughts.

4) How the gently caress did Kellhus get back to the surface?

I don't know.

5) How the gently caress did Kellhus learn how to teleport?

Because he is a badass magical (sorry, Dunyain) man, he can do things with sorcery no else ever could. I believe it's explained like he can sing three songs at once or something.

6) Kellhus planned for the cavalry to arrive and sweep what's his face the rear end in a top hat off the field?

I don't remember, but part of Kelhus's magical (sorry, Dunyain) powers are that he has always anticipated everything in advance.

7) All this, "He looked just like his father!" and no one thought Kellhus and Maithanet looked similar? Get the gently caress out. I was waiting since the second book for some bullshit connection like that, kept thinking Maithanet was Moengus, but the recognition thing.

I also thought this was dumb once I thought about it.

Overall, it's a bit of shame. I thought the second book in the series was one of the best fantasy books I have ever read, but it seems like the author is not interested in writing that type of book. I will keep reading the books, but it is a lot of crap to keep track of, a lot of which is parceled out in ways that are intended to make hard to follow.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

General Battuta posted:

There is a whole lot of graphic and grotesque rape. It does not get better.

I agree the books don't get better, but I don't remember anything as grimdark as the last part of TWP in the other books.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
R. Scott Bakker thread: The villain is a misogynist helicopter

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Sharmat posted:

You can have both at once. They share a body.

I'm surprised at how negative this thread turned. A lot of people posting here really don't like these books at all. There's also a ton of poor reading comprehension. Not sure about the cause and effect relationship there, though. Are people disliking the series because of poor reading comprehension, or do they have poor reading comprehension because they dislike the series and therefore can't get invested in it enough to really work to understand what's going on? Am I just a pompous dick, doubly amusing for being a snob about fantasy 'literature'?

There are no easy answers, but it can be hoped that one day someone will write a fantasy septoilogy that explores these themes, and rape.

I really liked them when I first read them, but the more I thought about them, the less they seemed to hold together. For me, that's a pretty bad sign. I will admit that reading his blog and particularly the Light/Time/Gravity excerpts made me think less of his writing and probably retroactively coloured my thoughts on the book.

I don't see any reading comprehension problems in the criticism in this thread though. I also don't think that's a particularly viable way to approach any criticism, since the books themselves are all about holding back and eliding important information.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Maytag posted:

Sorry I haven't been around the last few months to post "Kellhus is not the protagonist" over and over. A lot of the critics the past two pages seem to assume he is.

As for the misogyny, I'm trying to think of more than two male figures who don't have just as many issues as his females.

We had that argument in this thread already. That has nothing to do with comprehension and everything to do with the definition of protagonist. Kelhus is clearly a prime mover, and therefore a protagonist. (In the first trilogy at least). He's also an unlikeable sociopath. If that turns people off the books, that's not related to reading comprehension.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Sharmat posted:

That's the definition of protagonist now? Are antagonists not prime movers?

The point I was really trying for was just that it has nothing to do with reading comprehension. Please ignore me on the other stuff, I don't want to debate that again.

Seldom Posts fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 14, 2013

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Present posted:

Kellhus, on the other hand, IS trying to save the world.

e: I am just being a dick.

What the below posters are saying is correct. There's no reason to think this is what he is doing, and a lot of reasons to think he has an ulterior motive.

Seldom Posts fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 15, 2013

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

savinhill posted:

I agree with you, I don't think authors should be condemned for trying to tackle an issue, even if the conclusions they come to are wrong, as long as they're approaching the issue without having some extreme bias influencing the whole thing.

I this speaks to a fundamental disconnect in the conversation. My position, earlier in the thread, and what I understand GB to be saying is that Bakker has tried to tackle misogyny and not succeeded. No one is condemning him personally. I do realize there are other people out there on the internet who have attacked him personally for this.

My own take on the books is that they are very ambitious, and succeed in a lot of their goals, but fail in others, notably on the point that they are trying to make about misogyny. I don't condemn Bakker for this--it's admirable that he tried to work that big idea into a lot of other big ideas. But I also don't see why someone would give the books a free ride on this point just because Bakker doesn't seem like a bad guy. The work stands apart from the author.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Abalieno posted:

To me it only means he has an agenda. The fact that he writes too, about similar themes, and is using the work of another author as a kind of comparison to self.

It makes so much more obvious why he pushed this specific button so much that it looks like an all-consuming obsession.

Quoted for ridiculous.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tom Yum posted:

Just started White Luck Warrior after loving the absolute poo poo out of The Judging Eye, and I just wanted to ask: has anyone else seen a bunch of little Blood Meridian riffs in Aspect-Emperor? Besides the obvious one of Achamian joining a band of scalpers, the way Bakker describes Cleric is a whole lot like the Judge (though a lot of this is probably from his inherent Nonman characteristics like hairlessness and paleness. Imagine a whole race of Judge Holdens *shudder*). And someone on another forum pointed out that Kosoter and Glanton share some similarities as well. We know Bakker is a McCarthy fan from the epigram quote from Thousandfold Thought.

Been a while since I read it, but I recall it being explicitly a mash up of the mines of moria with Blood Meridian.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cardiac posted:

The No-God seems to be more of a totem for the Inchoroi/Consult than anything else. I can't remember if the No-God actually does anything active?
My recollection is that all of his effects are passive like the womb plaque and the whirlwind that seems to form around it.
Also, the questions it keeps asking makes me think it is a being grown in complete isolation somehow creating something outside the universe.

It's been a while, but my recollection is that they killed the No-god by shooting it with a laser gun, so has to be something doesn't it?

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

savinhill posted:

Yeah, he's contained in a big metal sarcophagus thing that has chorae on it and he can control all the different weapons races during the battles.

This is why this book series is kind of hilarious. For it's all philosophical ponderings, it still has an awful lot of cheesy van drivin' metalhead warhammer stuff in it.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Who would possibly click on an unknown link in this context?

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Brodie posted:

Right on, I'm definitely gonna finish it. It might take me longer than usual though. I haven't got that hook that makes me sit in the shitter till my legs fall asleep reading yet. I'm usually there before the 50% mark when I really like something.

My $0.02 would be to read the second one as well. If you don't like that one, bail out. The second one I think is the best one in the series so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Poldarn posted:

I'm pretty sure he explains how the Inchoroi pretend to be prophets and give the tribes of man the tusk as a holy artifact. The tusk tells them to migrate west over the mountains which helps the Inchoroi disrupt the Nonmen civilization.

I thought he actually said this out of book, like in an interview somewhere? I remember being irritated that a big plot point like that was dropped in such a weird way.

• Locked thread