Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
It took me a long time to realize that the Non-men are Elves, Sranc are Orcs, Humans are humans, and the Consult are aliens with a plethora of weird things going on.

I don't quite get where the No-god fits in though, I guess he's a literal "god" or pretty drat close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
There are specific scenes that years later still stick out in my memory.

From the first book: When Kellhus holds Cnauir over the cliff.

Second book: Kellhus defending the battle standard.

Third book: Achiaman going berserk against the Scarlet Spires and when Kellhus "speaks with three voices" and turns a spell of calling into a teleportation one.

There were lots of awesome scenes written into the books but these really stand out to me. I don't think I need spoilers but felt better safe than sorry.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Wouldn't that sort of depend on the character? There's no telling how someone will react to the situation Esmenet experienced.

Perhaps the world is so deeply patriarchal/misogynist that her response would have been the general reaction of 99% of the females in the world? Women have been taught to value men over themselves so much that even when they're raped they think it is a lesser issue than how it will impact whatever male is 'dominant' in their life? In that case we end up back at the setting being the cause rather than the author.

It has been a couple years since I've read the books so I also forget how much Esmenet knows at that point. After she has survived and feels somewhat sure of her continued existence perhaps her first thought is that now Achamian's life is in danger? That doesn't seem too outlandish.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I would say it is my favorite part as well, that or when Kellhus does ridiculous things like defend the battle standard in the second book (I think). That scene is one of my favorites because of the way it is told, the general (Conphas?) is interrogating one of his subordinates and the guy is basically in a state of shock.

When Achamian goes berserk against the Scarlet Spires, the end of book three when Kellhus "speaks with three voices" changing a communication spell into a transportation spell and then destroys all of the remaining Cishaurim (sp), etc.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Yes, they are more or less superhuman. The Dunyain have been breeding for two thousand years in pursuit of physical and mental perfection so their fighting skills are a combination of the two.

They are faster and stronger than other humans (if I remember correctly Kellhus holds Cnauir over a cliff with one hand) but their extreme intelligence plays a major role in their fighting abilities too. To catch the arrow Kellhus needs to know exactly where it is in space, predict its velocity, time grabbing the arrow just right, etc. So the combination of extreme strength, speed, reflexes, and intelligence makes them almost unbeatable.

• Locked thread