Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
This is basically the sort of stuff I read this series for, the magic system and cosmology-building. I don't mind the political poo poo and philosophy, I can appreciate the way they're written, but I read through them to the bizarre, unreal fantasy.

Bakker's cosmology has a very Lovecraftian feel in that there's an overwhelming sense of horrifically evil and alien things outside trying to get in, and slightly less horrific and evil things on the inside trying to let them in, and that for this reason everybody is under constant threat of being cosmologically hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Yeah, it's been years since I read TDTCB and that scene is still pretty distinct in my memory. Nothing personal, but having thought that the boy gets murdered makes your reading comprehension pretty suspect in my eyes.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Haha that blogger who criticized Bakker turned out to be another scifi author using a fake name to intentionally assemble mobs to harass competing authors:
http://www.metafilter.com/144305/Ripping-up-the-SFF-Scene-Requires-Hate

Half hearted apology:
http://requireshate.wordpress.com/2014/10/15/apologies-and-finality/

Reading that is just :psyduck:, not even solely in regards to Bakker but in terms of the SF community and the state of discourse generally.

It's exactly the sort of thing you think of when you imagine a false-flag op to discredit social justice movements, only it was run by an actual woman of color? :psyduck:

• Locked thread