Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
My Naga Jolokia + Honey came out amazing. Just short of too sweet, too alcoholic, too spicy, with a beautiful berry scent and taste (which is shortly obliterated by the heat, but returns after the initial burn to linger). Really really happy, wish I'd made more, but I won't have any more Nagas until next summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
Mixed my strawberry and basil infusions last night - delicious. The strawberry alone was too sweet and fruity for me, but the basil adds a complexity and a kind of herbal flavour that I really loved. Yum.

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

Don't you know pump it up! YOU'VE GOT TO PUMP IT UP!!!
Here is a pretty usefull link you could add in the OP
http://www.danish-schnapps-recipes.com/

TylerC 2.0
Jan 22, 2010
Help me! Help me!

What kind of quick infusions are there that can be done by Christmas?

muscat_gummy
Nov 30, 2008
I'm making some limoncello as a Christmas present, and it seems kind of... weak. It's been sitting for probably a week now. I zested the lemons instead of trying to peel off the zest/peel/whatever with a knife. I tasted it yesterday by just mixing a tiny amount with water (The zest is sitting in 190 proof grain alcohol so I'm not about to drink that straight.) and it was fine but a bit weak. I think I may have just added a bit too much water? (Obviously this will be more controlled when I add water + sugar to the whole batch.) And it may be different without any sweetener? But, how can I make it more lemon-y?

Telamon
Apr 8, 2005

Father of Ajax!

muscat_gummy posted:

I'm making some limoncello as a Christmas present, and it seems kind of... weak. It's been sitting for probably a week now. I zested the lemons instead of trying to peel off the zest/peel/whatever with a knife. I tasted it yesterday by just mixing a tiny amount with water (The zest is sitting in 190 proof grain alcohol so I'm not about to drink that straight.) and it was fine but a bit weak. I think I may have just added a bit too much water? (Obviously this will be more controlled when I add water + sugar to the whole batch.) And it may be different without any sweetener? But, how can I make it more lemon-y?

Lots of zest and time is all you can do, really. Although just out of curiosity, what was the recipe you went by? I typically use the zest of 8-10 lemons for one 750ml bottle of spirit but I use 80-100 proof booze instead. If I was using 190 I'd double the amount of zest to balance the equal amount of water I'd be adding later. That's a lot of lemons.

Hammsturabi
Dec 25, 2003
Law 54: If a house collapses, and the owners hamster should die, the builders hamster shall be put to death.

TylerC 2.0 posted:

Help me! Help me!

Look into herbs and spices. They infuse very quickly. Ageing time might vary so try to find something that doesn't need ageing. For example, basil takes 24 hours to infuse and doesn't need ageing. I don't know much about fruits but they generally take a really long time so you probably will want to avoid them this time.

Mulling spices would be good. They're Christmas-related and I think they only took me 24 hours when I did it (but don't quote me on that).

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

Peppermint! It'll steep in 12-24 hours.

muscat_gummy
Nov 30, 2008

Telamon posted:

Lots of zest and time is all you can do, really. Although just out of curiosity, what was the recipe you went by? I typically use the zest of 8-10 lemons for one 750ml bottle of spirit but I use 80-100 proof booze instead. If I was using 190 I'd double the amount of zest to balance the equal amount of water I'd be adding later. That's a lot of lemons.

The one I found asked for the same amount of lemons but for 190 proof. I used a liter of the stuff, so I think around 18-20 lemons. Should I just add more zest? I use the lemon juice (for other stuff) so it wouldn't really be a waste of lemons.

muscat_gummy fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Dec 14, 2011

Hammsturabi
Dec 25, 2003
Law 54: If a house collapses, and the owners hamster should die, the builders hamster shall be put to death.

betaraywil posted:

Peppermint! It'll steep in 12-24 hours.

Or dissolve some candy canes in some vodka if that suits you.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

Hammsturabi posted:

Or dissolve some candy canes in some vodka if that suits you.

Or just give bottles of Rumplemintz as gifts.

Hey so have people had luck with Cilantro infusions? I tried one once when I had less experience and guidance and it sucked a lot.

Joe Friday
Oct 16, 2007

Just the facts, ma'am.

muscat_gummy posted:

The one I found asked for the same amount of lemons but for 190 proof. I used a liter of the stuff, so I think around 18-20 lemons. Should I just add more zest? I use the lemon juice (for other stuff) so it wouldn't really be a waste of lemons.

I use 750 ml bottle with a dozen meyer lemons for my batch so you should add more zest. I also let mine sit for at least 3 months, but you don't need to do that.

If you are in a fix and need to get it up to maximum lemon quickly, you can buy lemon extract and cooking stores and add that.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

betaraywil posted:

Or just give bottles of Rumplemintz as gifts.

Hey so have people had luck with Cilantro infusions? I tried one once when I had less experience and guidance and it sucked a lot.

I just don't feel like this would work. The bright green grassy flavors of cilantro just don't seem suited to infusing. If you wanna try again I'd take a hefty bunch, just cover it with vodka, and taste every couple hours. I dunno though.

muscat_gummy
Nov 30, 2008

Joe Friday posted:

If you are in a fix and need to get it up to maximum lemon quickly, you can buy lemon extract and cooking stores and add that.

If lemon extract is ok, would lemon juice also be fine or would that result in something hideous? (Added to the final product along with sugar/water, not while the zest is hanging out and doing its thing.)

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

TylerC 2.0 posted:

Help me! Help me!

Coffee. There was one recipe I found either in this thread or an older one. 750mL of vodka, 100g of medium ground coffee, combine, throw in fridge to cold brew for 12 hours.

12 hours: intense coffee flavor
24 hours: really intense coffee flavor
4 days: It burns! It burns!

Guess who did the 4 day infusion. Yeah. I cut that bitch with some sugar syrup and it made a very nice liqueur.

ChuckHead
Jun 24, 2004

2000 years Assholes.
Not actually an infuse question but you guys seem to no alot about these sort of things.

Making homemade Bailey's Irish Cream. That poo poo is expensive so I was looking at the knock-offs and thought why not make my own. That way I could make my own flavor profile and save a ton of money. It also sounds fun.

There are a ton of recipes on the internet but I was hopping someone had some experience they could share on the matter.

Edit:
I tried this tonight, still waiting for it to chill.

HOMEMADE BAILEY's
1 1/4 C. light cream
11 oz. sweetened condensed milk
1 & 2/3 c. Irish whiskey (I use Jameson's)
1 tsp. instant coffee
2 Tbsp. Hershey's chocolate syrup
1 tsp. vanilla

ChuckHead fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 16, 2011

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

muscat_gummy posted:

If lemon extract is ok, would lemon juice also be fine or would that result in something hideous? (Added to the final product along with sugar/water, not while the zest is hanging out and doing its thing.)

I put lime juice in my aforementioned cilantro mistake. It was gross for any number of reasons, one of which could well have been the lime juice.

Honestly, the extract is probably made from zest.

muscat_gummy
Nov 30, 2008

betaraywil posted:

I put lime juice in my aforementioned cilantro mistake. It was gross for any number of reasons, one of which could well have been the lime juice.

Honestly, the extract is probably made from zest.

Ok, that's fine then. I added 7(!) more lemons, and the bit I tasted because the bottle was about to overflow wasn't bad. Hoping to reach max lemon levels by Sunday, since I fly out on Monday and I'm pretty sure I can't have a bottle of 190 proof alcohol even in checked baggage. :(

TylerC 2.0 posted:

Help me! Help me!

I think when I made grapefruit vodka and orange vodka using entire slices or by poking holes in the fruits (can't remember), those were drinkable in a few days.

Green apple gin can also be ready within a week.

Joe Friday
Oct 16, 2007

Just the facts, ma'am.

muscat_gummy posted:

Extract is a tincture of lemon (lemon oil dissolved in alcohol). Lemon juice is not actually very strong as it is essentially just acids and sugars. I would only add lemon juice to the final product in place of water and make sure to add plenty of sugar. Honestly though, lemon juice is best fresh so make some lemonade and just add syrup to the final infusion.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
Bacon and black pepper infused vodka turned out really well. Made it to give away as a Christmas present, but I think I'll make some for me now.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

muscat_gummy posted:

Got leftover lemons? Make yourself a good cold weather (or counter-cough) drink called Lemon Shrub.

*Zest of one lemon
*1/2 cup of fresh squeezed lemon juice (or bottled if you only have one or two lemons leftover)
*3/4 cup sugar
*2 cups rum

Combine, bottle, shake, and let sit for a week. When you're ready to consume, make 1 part Lemon Shrub with 2 parts hot (almost boiling) water for a strong drink or 3 parts for weaker. If you have some left over when summer rolls around, substitute cold plain seltzer for the boiling water in similar proportions.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

So, never done this before, but I've seen some vanilla infusions that seem like they could be great for cooking. So I was wondering if I've got the right idea:

I get some Vodka, clean and cut some vanilla and toss it into it.
Shake it a few times a day, sometimes taking a taste test.
Then when it's done ( A few hours, to days, with some other places saying weeks?)
I'll just filter it, and smack it back into the bottle, where it'll be ready for use?
(+ probably letting it age for a few days/weeks?)

:ohdear:

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

SubNat posted:

So, never done this before, but I've seen some vanilla infusions that seem like they could be great for cooking. So I was wondering if I've got the right idea:

I get some Vodka, clean and cut some vanilla and toss it into it.
Shake it a few times a day, sometimes taking a taste test.
Then when it's done ( A few hours, to days, with some other places saying weeks?)
I'll just filter it, and smack it back into the bottle, where it'll be ready for use?
(+ probably letting it age for a few days/weeks?)

:ohdear:

Are you trying to make extract, or something else? I only ask because if you're talking about cooking instead of drinking, your best bet might just be to buy (or make, or dilute) extract rather than trying to make 750 mL of vanilla flavor. I've used real vanilla bean and I've used extract in other infusions and honestly, I find that you can't tell the difference when it's mixed in a drink or paired with other punchy flavors. Extracting the vanilla flavor yourself is just a way to throw a bunch of money and time at a process companies are already doing for you (unless you're making something where the vanilla really needs to shine, like a french vanilla ice cream, a flan, or a vanilla-only infusion, then it's worth it.)

If you're dead-set on it, though, it's a bean-to-liquor-to-time ratio. I'd say--and this is a guess--that 3 vanilla beans in 750mL for a week or two and you'll end up with something tasty that isn't too too strongly flavored.

Nicol Bolas fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 19, 2011

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Well, I was thinking about making an extract, to be honest.
http://www.isabellacatalog.com/p/Everlasting-Organic-Vanilla.cfm?tid=619042201&zmam=7946946&zmas=3&zmac=95&zmap=12023
Stumbling over that gave me the idea, especially since I'm fond of using a lot of vanilla essence in my cooking/baking, which you can only get in somewhat expensive 15ml bottles here in Norway.
However, I'm thinking I'll experiment with seeing what it works in, as I'll be trying it out with drinks as well.

I'm figuring that it, plus maybe a bottle with nutmeg, cinnamon, cardamom and some other spices might help with the christmas cheer.

And thanks for the help, I figure I'll try it once I get back home.
Experimenting with new stuff is always fun. :3:

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

SubNat posted:

Well, I was thinking about making an extract, to be honest.
http://www.isabellacatalog.com/p/Everlasting-Organic-Vanilla.cfm?tid=619042201&zmam=7946946&zmas=3&zmac=95&zmap=12023
Stumbling over that gave me the idea, especially since I'm fond of using a lot of vanilla essence in my cooking/baking, which you can only get in somewhat expensive 15ml bottles here in Norway.
However, I'm thinking I'll experiment with seeing what it works in, as I'll be trying it out with drinks as well.

I'm figuring that it, plus maybe a bottle with nutmeg, cinnamon, cardamom and some other spices might help with the christmas cheer.

And thanks for the help, I figure I'll try it once I get back home.
Experimenting with new stuff is always fun. :3:

No problem!

If it's actually cheaper to buy, say, 5 or 6 vanilla beans and a little glass container that holds something like 300 or so mL than it is to buy extract, go for it!

And if you toss in vanilla beans and spices and leave it for a week or two, you should come up with something nice & tasty. That will naturally be done after christmas (and you should definitely plan on sweetening it) but it should be tasty.

edit: and if you want to get real crazy, once your spiced vanilla infusion is done, you could take the vanilla bean out, give it a bit of a rinse to get any lingering spices off, and pop it into your extract. I sincerely doubt any appreciable spice flavor would transfer over, and it'll make your extract keep getting stronger.

Nicol Bolas fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 19, 2011

Ktb
Feb 24, 2006

LAchristus posted:

Here is a pretty usefull link you could add in the OP
http://www.danish-schnapps-recipes.com/

Sorry I missed this, it's a really good link, thank you. I have added it to the OP.

Anyone wanting to speed up infusion for Christmas you can gently(!) warm the infusing vessel to help speed it along. If your bottle/jar seals really well then you can stick it in the dishwasher or sink when doing the dishes. Make sure it is airtight though or you will make it taste gross.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

Nicol Bolas posted:

If it's actually cheaper to buy, say, 5 or 6 vanilla beans and a little glass container that holds something like 300 or so mL than it is to buy extract, go for it!

Just a reminder of this post from the previous page:

Irving posted:

I bought a sampler pack from here:

http://www.vanillaproductsusa.com/

The site looks shady as heck, but they sent me the beans.

I haven't gotten around to ordering from them yet, but others have said it's legit.

mikeh269
Mar 26, 2007

I am the English Stereotype.
I've just bottled some damson gin - I pricked tons of damson berries, added a good pile of sugar, and topped up with gin in kilner jars then left for 3 months, occasionally tasting to check the amount of sugar.

And now, it's done! And put into bottles ready for christmas

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Wanted to make some Cherry Bounce with rye, but we're not really in cherry season in this part of the US, so I'm reckoning to use dried cherries. Years and years ago I had a really awesome apricot liqueur from just a simple "chuck dried apricots in clean jar, cover with vodka, wait a month", so I'm reckoning this should be similar.

With dried cherries, is there much risk of over-steeping? Do I need to be sure to remove the fruits and let it age solo after X many weeks, or is there no major harm in just letting the two macerate together for months?

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

mikeh269 posted:

I've just bottled some damson gin - I pricked tons of damson berries, added a good pile of sugar, and topped up with gin in kilner jars then left for 3 months, occasionally tasting to check the amount of sugar.

And now, it's done! And put into bottles ready for christmas

Were do you normally get damson berries? Or the berries for Sloe gin? Are they only grown in the UK?

mikeh269
Mar 26, 2007

I am the English Stereotype.

ScaerCroe posted:

Were do you normally get damson berries? Or the berries for Sloe gin? Are they only grown in the UK?

The damsons I used for this came off a neighbours tree - she gave us a bagful. In the past we've had sloe berries just off bushes foraged in woods as well. I don't really know if they're grown internationally but I'd presume so.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Wanted to make some Cherry Bounce with rye, but we're not really in cherry season in this part of the US, so I'm reckoning to use dried cherries. Years and years ago I had a really awesome apricot liqueur from just a simple "chuck dried apricots in clean jar, cover with vodka, wait a month", so I'm reckoning this should be similar.

With dried cherries, is there much risk of over-steeping? Do I need to be sure to remove the fruits and let it age solo after X many weeks, or is there no major harm in just letting the two macerate together for months?

It's drat hard, perhaps impossible, to over-steep fruit, even dried. Taste after a couple weeks to see where you're at. However long you steep it, letting it age for a month or two after will probably benefit the flavor, but that's your prerogative.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Kenning posted:

It's drat hard, perhaps impossible, to over-steep fruit, even dried. Taste after a couple weeks to see where you're at. However long you steep it, letting it age for a month or two after will probably benefit the flavor, but that's your prerogative.

Not to pin you down on chemistry here, but how is aging sans fruit going to do anything different from aging with the fruit still in? Does the booze behave differently with the dried cherries removed?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I dunno about the specific chemical processes at play, but that's the standard recommendation on the infusing sites, and I've tasted the difference a number of times. Of course, I haven't done side-by-side trials, so idk.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

So, I didn't know about this thread and started an infusion for my friend (she loves strawberries) with 750mL 80-proof Absolut (I got it from my family's gift exchange, and I don't have time to drink) and three pounds of strawberries, washed and quartered.

After pouring about half the vodka, I heard that you could add sugar to speed up the infusion as well as sweeten the drink, so I added about a tablespoon, maybe two, to each jar.

After just a day, the colour already started to look amazing. I was planning on having it done in time for New Year's Eve, so should I strain it on the 29th and let it sit for a couple days, or what? I started this on the 22nd. Thanks!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Sugar doesn't speed along the infusion; if anything it'll make it infuse more slowly since sugar isn't alcohol, and alcohol is the solvent here. What sugar does do is intensify the flavors in something that's already infused somewhat. I use sugar in infusions the way I use salt in soups – I add it right at the end, when it's pretty much finished, so that it doesn't wind up too sweet/salty after further infusion/reduction.

As for your infusions, fresh strawberries take weeks at least to get an intense fruity flavor. You may get some color and a faint flavor by New Year's, but I wouldn't count on it being particularly strong.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

Also, don't add sugar, add simple syrup. Sugar isn't *great* at dissolving in alcohol, so dissolve it in water first!

One thing I've done to speed along fruity infusions before is to cook them up on the stove with some honey and spices (this was blackberry, but it worked pretty well). Having read this thread, I'd probably add the tiniest pat of butter too. That let me get away with ~1 week for the blackberry infusion (it actually ended up tasting a little strong, but that was my fault for only using a mickey's worth of vodka).

Darth Goku Jr
Oct 19, 2004

yes yes i see, i understand
:wal::respek::stat:

Basic Beater posted:

(I got it from my family's gift exchange, and I don't have time to drink)

I feel you buried the lede. What the heck bro?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I work 12am-8 five nights a week, so when I get off work, I don't feel much like drinking. The other days I tend to stick to beer or nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Basic Beater posted:

I work 12am-8 five nights a week, so when I get off work, I don't feel much like drinking. The other days I tend to stick to beer or nothing.

What? I worked 3 AM to 12 the other day and the first goddamn thing I did when I got home was drink. That's not a normal shift for me though, so maybe the need to drink after such a shift might be decreased a little bit if it's a regular.