Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
I'm trying to get speck-mode working because flyspell is a slow piece of poo poo, but every time I run M-x speck-mode it starts spell checking the buffer and then after every misspelled word asking me to choose a file location for some purpose or another. If I choose a file location, it saves a copy of the buffer to that file, and deletes the buffer I was looking at. What the flying gently caress is that? Is there any way I can determine what code called a prompt?

EDIT: Nevermind, it was deft trying to auto-save on intervals. Still would be curious about an answer to my last question.

Catalyst-proof fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Gah, I'd love to know an answer to a similar question. Currently when I try to open any kind of file but an elisp file I get "End of file during parsing". Usually it fails to switch to the buffer for the file, but the file will open in a buffer. For SQL mode hooks will not have run, for python-mode they will. debug-on-error and debug-on-signal do not cause the debugger to open, using the -q argument (no init file) causes the error not to happen. Manually disabling hooks doesn't stop the error. I'm kinda stuck as to where to go from here.

(I'm running the emacs-snapshot for ubuntu 12)

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

Zombywuf posted:

Gah, I'd love to know an answer to a similar question. Currently when I try to open any kind of file but an elisp file I get "End of file during parsing". Usually it fails to switch to the buffer for the file, but the file will open in a buffer. For SQL mode hooks will not have run, for python-mode they will. debug-on-error and debug-on-signal do not cause the debugger to open, using the -q argument (no init file) causes the error not to happen. Manually disabling hooks doesn't stop the error. I'm kinda stuck as to where to go from here.

Hopefully someone can give you more specific advice, but: my usual approach to this would be to move my init file somewhere, start with an empty .emacs, and incrementally add stuff until I find the brokenness. (This is a bit easier if you check your config into Mercurial/Git -- then you can use bisect to find the problem child.) That's probably unsatisfying advice, but if you're really stuck, it's a way forward.

Org-mode users: I'm using org-indent and visual-line-mode, as detailed above. I'm currently setting a file variable (-*- mode: visual-line -*-) to turn visual-line-mode, and I'm using +STARTUP to run indent. If I C-c C-c to refresh things (because I added a tag or something), visual-line mode will go away. Is there an org-y way to fix this that I'm missing? I'd rather not turn visual-line-mode on for all org files.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Errr... somehow my kill-rectangle function is completely not working.

I set a mark by setting the cursor and M-SPC at the upper left corner, go to the bottom right corner, set the cursor, and then ^x r k.

No error msg, just does jack poo poo. What the hell?

EDIT:

For whatever reason, I had to highlight the entire text between cursors (although it did take out the right part). I don't remember ever having to do this, am I just forgetful, or did Aquamacs just decide to change default settings?

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 28, 2012

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
No clue, but Aquamacs struck me as sort of janky and I am much happier running a build of GNU Emacs 24 from http://emacsformacosx.com/builds

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

JetsGuy posted:

I don't remember ever having to do this, am I just forgetful, or did Aquamacs just decide to change default settings?

I can't speak to this specific case but Aquamacs changes a whole bunch of poo poo.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

h_double posted:

No clue, but Aquamacs struck me as sort of janky and I am much happier running a build of GNU Emacs 24 from http://emacsformacosx.com/builds

Does it let me use keyboard commands like apple-c apple-v for copy and paste, or apple-s for save?? I really prefer those to the emacs command set. Aquamacs provides a nice medium for me to have a nice light editor to do my coding in, while providing nice emacs functions that are awesome (like rect kills).

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Aquamacs is a good way to ease mac-users in. The common apple commands work in conjunction with the emacs ones. The configuration file is in the usual ~/Library/Application Support/

You ease them in by selling it as a great latex or org-mode editor, hopefully they grow into it and use it for coding too.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

JetsGuy posted:

Does it let me use keyboard commands like apple-c apple-v for copy and paste, or apple-s for save?? I really prefer those to the emacs command set. Aquamacs provides a nice medium for me to have a nice light editor to do my coding in, while providing nice emacs functions that are awesome (like rect kills).

Yes, and you can open files with Command-O or dragging them from Finder into an Emacs window. From what I remember, the main differences are that Aquamacs has pictorial toolbar icons, and has a few more things you can configure from the Options drop-down menu.

vvv d'oh, so it does.

h_double fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Mar 29, 2012

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

h_double posted:

Yes, and you can open files with Command-O or dragging them from Finder into an Emacs window. From what I remember, the main differences are that Aquamacs has pictorial toolbar icons, and has a few more things you can configure from the Options drop-down menu.

Can't speak to the Options menu, but tool-bar-mode gets you the pictorial tool bar.

Fullets
Feb 5, 2009

Fren posted:

Hey thread. Does anyone know if there's a reasonably good Jira Emacs mode lying about? I hate having to lose context 10 or 12 times a day to go to that horrid website.

If you're using JIRA 5, you might be in luck because I made a thing. Tell me the many ways it sucks and I will try to make it suck in different ways. I'll have a look at making it work with 4.4 over the weekend.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
I don't know if any one else has been following this but watching 'the community' pile on this Batsov guy who did the horrible thing of stating clearly what a huge pile of poo poo emacswiki has become is pretty entertaining. He deleted his reddit post after the 15 people in /r/emacs ganged up on him. Now he's started an :frogsiren: EmacsWiki Competitor :frogsiren: that's totally going to be better in every way.

There hasn't been this much excitement in emacs land since the last time someone suggested replacing elisp with CL on emacs-devel :munch:

Edit: For the truly interested bored planet emacs has a bunch of back and forth blog posts between Batsov and kensanata

orphean fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 31, 2012

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Zombywuf posted:

Gah, so I found out why this was happening after much diagnosis. I found the problem went away when I used -q, but not when I commented out my whole .emacs file. I found that commenting out my entire .emacs file triggered a parsing bug in vc-mode which I don't even use. I also found that it had nothing to do with my .emacs file being a symlink to a git controlled version of the file.

Turns out I had been messing around with a .dir-locals.el file but had found it didn't do what I wanted but left it in a broken state. The end of file during parsing message was due to it trying to parse that file (which is apparently not loaded with -q), why I couldn't get it to trap in the debugger I don't know though.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Fullets posted:

If you're using JIRA 5, you might be in luck because I made a thing. Tell me the many ways it sucks and I will try to make it suck in different ways. I'll have a look at making it work with 4.4 over the weekend.

4.3 still :( Might be upgrading to 4.4 in a month though, so if you could get it to work with 4.4 with little pain that would rule face. Thanks for the heads up!

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
This might be common knowledge, but I just learned you can 'C-x C--' and 'C-x C-+' (or 'C-x C-=') to make the font size in a buffer smaller or larger.

(Also, whoever decided that emacs subscreens should be called "windows", and OS-level windows should be called "frames", deserves to have a Windows NT server dropped on their knuckles. Screen divisions within a window should be "panels" or something.)

h_double fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 4, 2012

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.
I'm going to guess that Emacs windows were invented before desktop windows.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Well, yes and no. The first public release of GNU Emacs was a few months after the Macintosh and DRI's GEM windowing system (and before those there was Xerox PARC and the Apple Lisa). I don't know when split-screen was added to Emacs, but for a long time it was a reasonable supposition that most people were using the editor on a TTY, and so calling the subscreens "windows" made sense. But GNU Emacs didn't add support for multiple frames (under X) until 1994, and by that time X workstations (and GUI OS on home computers) were common enough that it would have been sensible to rethink the terminology. I can't imagine it would involve a lot of code change, and there could always be an enable-legacy-window-mode variable so as not to break preexisting scripts.

I don't really blame any single individual of course and it's not a huge deal, but it just feels like something which unnecessarily requires clarification and a mini context switch even when talking to other people who are emacs-literate.

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

h_double posted:

Well, yes and no. The first public release of GNU Emacs was a few months after the Macintosh and DRI's GEM windowing system (and before those there was Xerox PARC and the Apple Lisa). I don't know when split-screen was added to Emacs, but for a long time it was a reasonable supposition that most people were using the editor on a TTY, and so calling the subscreens "windows" made sense. But GNU Emacs didn't add support for multiple frames (under X) until 1994, and by that time X workstations (and GUI OS on home computers) were common enough that it would have been sensible to rethink the terminology. I can't imagine it would involve a lot of code change, and there could always be an enable-legacy-window-mode variable so as not to break preexisting scripts.

I don't really blame any single individual of course and it's not a huge deal, but it just feels like something which unnecessarily requires clarification and a mini context switch even when talking to other people who are emacs-literate.

It's still common terminology in other programs that don't use "windows" like you're thinking of them too (irssi comes to mind immediately). It's sort of annoying, but it's not unprecedented for emacs.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Yeah, it's mostly conspicuous in Emacs because other programs (like irssi or screen or whatever) don't involve a lot manipulation at both the subscreen level AND the OS-window level.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

My Mac Emacs isn't displaying some Unicode characters, specifically ►. I'm using the Menlo font which seems to have it, but it's just showing up as boxes.

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm an idiot. I wasn't using Menlo ><

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Catalyst-proof fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 5, 2012

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches

h_double posted:

Well, yes and no. The first public release of GNU Emacs was a few months after the Macintosh and DRI's GEM windowing system

The first EMACS (lit. Editor MACroS) was released about 8 years prior to this don't forget. So it had already built up almost a decades worth of cultural cruft and baggage.

Alot of the terminology literally comes out of MITs AI lab which is the culture that spawned RMS and Emacs itself. That's why crap like the cursor is called 'point' because in TECO (the editor said macros were written for) what the cursor represents was represented by the '.' command.

I'm not defending this stuff per se just trying to show that this is so deeply embedded in the Emacs culture this stuff isn't going away. It's not a technical problem, its a people problem.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Calling it "point" instead of "cursor" makes some sense when you consider that emacs sorta has two "cursors" across point/mark. Using a different term at least implies that there's different behavior compared to what you'd get from a typical cursor.

However I expect in practice this just leads to newcomers confusing which one's the "mark" and which one's the "point".

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches

beoba posted:

However I expect in practice this just leads to newcomers confusing which one's the "mark" and which one's the "point".

And even this confusion is going to be a legacy concern (if it isn't already) since they flipped on transient-mark-mode by default now.

This news is a little older but I just read about it and wanted to share it with our unloved little thread here.

Guile Scheme ELisp Compatibility Mode Matures

This is pretty huge. Guile's elisp compatibility layer can basically run all elisp that doesn't muck with buffers. They released a screencast showing guile running dunnet.el which is pretty rad.

This might be ready to go for Emacs 25. We'll have a full, modern lisp (well scheme) in Emacs! Multithreading ahoy.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Does anybody actually use Guile? I'd much prefer if we had CL or Clojure at the bottom of Emacs. Can you imagine, Clojure running Emacs? The Java library at your disposal to extend Emacs?

In other news, flyspell sucks and speck-mode rules. If you do any serious writing in Emacs you owe it to yourself to try out speck-mode.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Just gonna post in this thread til someone stops me. Install FastScripts, run the following, get notifications when someone updates an IRC buffer.

code:
(defun fast-scripts-notification (message screen-position delay)
  (do-applescript (format (concat "tell application \"FastScripts\"\n"
                                  "display message \"%s\""
                                  "at screen position %s dismissing after delay %s\n"
                                  "end tell") message screen-position delay)))

(defun fast-scripts-rcirc-notify (channel-name)
  (fast-scripts-notification channel-name "top right" 5))

(add-hook 'rcirc-activity-hooks 'fast-scripts-rcirc-notify)
EDIT: Well this would work great if the loving hook worked the way the documentation said it would.

Catalyst-proof fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 14, 2012

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches

Fren posted:

Just gonna post in this thread til someone stops me
Never going to stop posting in this thread. Just you and me riding Emacs into the sunset. :shepface::respek::dukedog:

Weirdly enough I was just coming in here to ask if rcirc or ERC were actually decent clients. I've only really tried ERC and just found it a bit too weird even for me. What do you like about rcirc Fren?

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

orphean posted:

Never going to stop posting in this thread. Just you and me riding Emacs into the sunset. :shepface::respek::dukedog:

Weirdly enough I was just coming in here to ask if rcirc or ERC were actually decent clients. I've only really tried ERC and just found it a bit too weird even for me. What do you like about rcirc Fren?

I like rcirc because:

• it seems to handle buffer truncation much better than ERC (rcirc-buffer-maximum-lines)
  • it has rcirc-edit-multiline, typically C-c C-c, which opens a draft buffer so you can easily send multi-line messages. I also use it when I'm copy-pasting something to someone, to make sure I'm using the right clipboard and have the right stuff in it.
  • it requires basically no configuration, as it formats channels perfectly out of the box.
  • I have no idea if ERC does this, but rcirc does it out of the box: activity minor mode, which puts a little word in your modeline whenever a channel has new content. Then just C-c C-SPC to jump to it.

I'm probably missing something or other, but yeah. rcirc is fantastic and requires very little customization. I'm not a hardcore IRC user or anything like that -- I mostly use it for Bitlbee -- so it may not be suitable for power users, but I wouldn't know v :) v

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
Yeah I'm definietly not an IRC poweruser unless idling for the past ten years on freenode counts. Thanks for the info, I'll turn it on and see what I think.

For some Thread Content, check out the latest episode of emacsrocks. Talks about this killer thing called ace-jump-mode. I installed this thing about half a second after watching that video. Never looking back. It's awesome.

fishbacon
Nov 4, 2009
wonderful yet strange smell

Fren posted:

In other news, flyspell sucks and speck-mode rules. If you do any serious writing in Emacs you owe it to yourself to try out speck-mode.

Looked it up, sounds pretty solid. Been switching dictionary in flyspell a lot lately because of a report in english and a lot of danish writing.

Ace jump also looks pretty cool, I love that he shows the truly expandable nature of emacs in that 2 minute video.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
I just mapped right control to 'super. It's like waking up to an enormous field of newly-fallen snow.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

I'm looking for one or two people with experience in Lisp and Emacs Lisp to proofread the technical content of an article I'm publishing. PM me for details.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

Fren posted:

I'm looking for one or two people with experience in Lisp and Emacs Lisp to proofread the technical content of an article I'm publishing. PM me for details.

You may want to ask in the Lisp thread too.

If nothing else, it will bump the thread. :smith:

roryk
Jun 7, 2004
lurker
I really like the Aquamacs tabs for buffers but Aquamacs has some bugs in Lion that haven't got fixed and it also doesn't seem to play well with the evil package, so I'm abandoning it. I tried grabbing the aquamacs-tabbar.el and loading it to get Aquamacs-like tab behavior in Cocoa emacs installed using homebrew, but that doesn't seem to work. I get:

Symbol's value as variable is void: header-line-inhibit-window-list

when I fire up Cocoa emacs.

Does anybody have Aquamacs-like tabs working on Cocoa emacs? There are a couple of posts about getting it to work when I search on google but they are a couple of years old and the solutions don't work for me.

Thanks!

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

orphean posted:

they flipped on transient-mark-mode by default now.

The disconnect between point/mark and transient-mark-mode is so confusing, and I wish I could make it stop. For instance, set the mark, go around a bit, C-g (so the selection looks like it's been cleared), C-w. Whoops. Mainly, I want the point/mark to become the same thing when I hit C-g. I know that I can write a bit of elisp to do that, but why is the disconnect there? Shouldn't transient-mark-mode actually make the mark transient?

Also, does anybody know how to make it so that C-v and then M-v gets you back to the exact spot you were before?

There are so many inconsistencies in emacs that really bug me like this.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Does anybody have working Gnus settings for iCloud IMAP?

EDIT: Ahh, nabbed it. Server has changed from me.com's 'mail.me.com' to 'imap.mail.me.com' for iCloud.

Catalyst-proof fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 23, 2012

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011
Fren, thanks a million for the Bitlbee reference. That was seriously the chat program I've always wanted.

I've got a question on window management in Emacs. Two or three times in the past day I've ended up in this annoying situation where I have my frame vertically split into a few windows, and I want to add a horizontal split to the frame. So like this:

code:
+-----+     +---+-+
|-----|     |---| |
|     |  -> |   | |
|-----|     |---| |
|     |     |   | |
+-----+     +---+-+
Is there a way to tell emacs "hey I don't want to split any of those three windows, split at the root"? Alternatively, is there any way to split each of the three windows horizontally then combine the windows together into one horizontal split?

The only thing I've been able to do so far is to go down to one window and rebuild up, starting with the horizontal split, which really bugs me.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Kim Jong III posted:

Is there a way to tell emacs "hey I don't want to split any of those three windows, split at the root"?
I don't think this is built in, but it's a trivial function to write.
code:
(defun split-all-windows-right ()
  (interactive)
  (split-window (frame-root-window) nil t))
(Note that this doesn't do everything split-window-right does; fully imitating that function is left as an exercise for the reader. Bonus credit: why can't we do (with-selected-window (frame-root-window) (split-window-right))?)

Soricidus fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 27, 2012

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Soricidus posted:

I don't think this is built in, but it's a trivial function to write.
code:
(defun split-all-windows-right ()
  (interactive)
  (split-window (frame-root-window) nil t))
(Note that this doesn't do everything split-window-right does; fully imitating that function is left as an exercise for the reader. Bonus credit: why can't we do (with-selected-window (frame-root-window) (split-window-right))?)

Oh man thanks for the hint, I've wanted to start learning elisp and this looks like a good function to start with :3:

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Sometimes it's the simple things, like a nice, minimal function tree sidebar.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xf86enodev
Mar 27, 2010

dis catte!
Hej guys, just wanted to throw this out there (nice thread title btw),
but how have your (future) employer's reactions to using emacs have been?

I imagine strange looks at the least, or maybe a "what's emacs?"

Why I care is, I'm looking for a new job and all appropriate offerings list some of "eclipse knowledge", "vs knowledge"...

How do I explain to employers I do emacs and emacs does all I need?

I've been using emacs everywhere I worked at so far, but it also never came up in interviews so far... So my choice of action would be to dodge the question and just let the IT guys know later, since that's what I've done so far. (IT's been always sort of "understanding" in letting me do whatever)

But what if? How'd you go about telling mgmt you'd rather use emacs than vs?

• Locked thread