Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bondster
May 6, 2007

gently caress YES The Jet Pistol scene and everything afterwards was perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
Wow, definitely a rocking episode. Probably the best so far since the time skip.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
Those crowd reaction shots are glorious.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The one word sentences between Sanji and Zoro were fantastic.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Man, the pacifistas got completely wrecked! What a good episode.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Can't wait to see this episode! :D

With the new episodes licensed, does that mean they're going to start putting up new dubbed episodes on the site again? I don't remember what the last dubbed episode was so I can't tell. A friend of mine who I got into the show (but doesn't watched subbed anime :smith:) has been waiting for new ones for a long time now so I'll be happy if that's the case.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I've talked to plenty of people who somehow can't get over One Piece having a non-standard art style. They'll say stuff like "Luffy's O_O eyes" bug them, or Usopp's nose, or the fact that the characters are so lanky compared to other anime characters. It's really frustrating when you know just how loving good OP is and you're just unable to convince anybody who doesn't already agree with you.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

With the new episodes licensed, does that mean they're going to start putting up new dubbed episodes on the site again? I don't remember what the last dubbed episode was so I can't tell. A friend of mine who I got into the show (but doesn't watched subbed anime :smith:) has been waiting for new ones for a long time now so I'll be happy if that's the case.

They were about halfway or 2/3 through G8 on the DVD sets, dunno if they finished it on the site or not.

God I couldn't stop smiling once that ending sequence kicked in. Luffy, Sanji, and Zoro just impressing the poo poo out of EVERYBODY set to We Go! So awesome.

I read the manga but I often times prefer the anime just because of poo poo like this.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Goddamn, what an amazing episode. Everything from the eyecatch to the end was totally perfect.

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

I don't really have anything to add that hasn't already been said, but I really do love OP

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Scratchman Apoo posted:

that Caribou is a devil fruit user. For anyone who hasn't read the manga, what are you thinking his power is? There was a lot of speculation going around.
Seems like some kind of Mud-Mud power? I dunno; he just kind of went soft and then absorbed the sword without really doing much else...

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Goopo Goopo no mi?

Anyway, I'm so ready for a new adventure! Everyone has come such a long way :swoon:

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
I love when One Piece decides to remind how freaking bad rear end it is, that final scene was glorious!

Can anyone confirm if that was an extend version of We Go! playing in the background during it?

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Scratchman Apoo posted:

that Caribou is a devil fruit user. For anyone who hasn't read the manga, what are you thinking his power is? There was a lot of speculation going around.

It looks like he's made of clay. I guess he's a clay man?

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

They stopped at 206, which I think is the end of the G8 arc. Well, technically those were done before the first two seasons, so it's been like 3 or 4 years since any actually new episodes have been dubbed. Dubbed episodes of Davy Back arc should pop up on the site around summer 2012.

Anyways, That episode was amazing. I didn't want it to end :( That one-handed Gear Second activation was badass as hell. Also dodgin' lazers. And those reaction faces were great, classic One Piece. gently caress it, the whole thing was fantastic. I really can't wait to see the Fishman Island fights nimated now.

Redcrimson fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 30, 2011

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

Can anyone confirm if that was an extend version of We Go! playing in the background during it?

Yeah, the entire last sequence was backed by an extended cut of We Go!

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Redcrimson posted:

They stopped at 206, which I think is the end of the G8 arc. Well, technically those were done before the first two seasons, so it's been like 3 or 4 years since any actually new episodes have been dubbed. Dubbed episodes of Davy Back arc should pop up on the site around summer 2012.

They re-dubbed Skypeia for the DVD releases.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

WhiffleballDude posted:

They re-dubbed Skypeia for the DVD releases.

Wait. What!? What's different between the two? Other than changing "king" back to "God" that is.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
Episode was amazing. The halfway point came way too quickly, and the second half flew by even faster.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

readingatwork posted:

Wait. What!? What's different between the two? Other than changing "king" back to "God" that is.

Well considering Funi started dubbing at Skypeia, the voice actors were just starting their roles, and not all of them had found their "groove" so to speak. By the time they went back and started dubbing the series from the start, they had pretty much all figured out their characters, so when they got back to Skypeia, they decided to re-dub it without the edits (Zolo/Zoro, King/God, Knight/Priest, etc) and with some experience under both the VAs' and directors' belts.

You could probably think of the Toonami run as practice.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Regarding Caribou, It looks like he's eaten a logia, yeah. Mud or Clay or Swamp or something of that sort, going by the color and how liquidy it was.

Given One Piece though, he's probably made out of liquid chocolate.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
In the manga did they(manga spoilers) show off Caribou's ability at this point? I could have sworn that they held off until later.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Gyges posted:

In the manga did they(manga spoilers) show off Caribou's ability at this point? I could have sworn that they held off until later.

Yeah. In the manga, Caribou didn't show his ability until after the real Straw Hats had already left Sabaody.

I did like seeing the new rookie pirates fighting, that also wasn't shown in the manga.

Gaylor Moon
Apr 6, 2005

Gender? I hardly know'er
gently caress YES! This is probably my favorite chapter in the manga, so I've been waiting for this. Did not disappoint AT ALL! I seriously think One Piece does the "Oh, check out how much stronger I am than you" schtick better than any other anime/manga. The villains just get loving stomped without Luffy so much as batting an eye. But gently caress yeah, amazing episode can't wait for more!

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

mushroom_spore posted:

As far as I can tell, it's the art style. People get mad as gently caress when they watch an anime that doesn't have that identical sparkle-eyed CLAMP bishounen look. (I'm not sure why Dragonball gets a pass while One Piece doesn't, since DB/Z/etc's art is worse in every way.)

Pretty much the same thing happened to Lupin III.

This is pretty much it. The character designs really throw people off. You got a guy with a lizard for hair and people just can't accept that. What I've found is if someone sees me watching an episode without action, I get a lot of sneers. But if a roomate or friend has to watch more than one episode with a fight scene they are instantly hooked.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
That, or get them to watch a tragic flashback like's Nami's. It's how I got my friend hooked on One Piece anyways.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
This whole episode:

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Also, the first few episodes of One Piece are terrible because of Koby. He is such an awful character. Granted he is made less horrible later on, but he is still not a very good character.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Also, the first few episodes of One Piece are terrible because of Koby. He is such an awful character. Granted he is made less horrible later on, but he is still not a very good character.

I think maybe Oda felt like he had to have the stereotypical weakling annoying kid who does nothing, but quickly got rid of that idea (and implemented elements of it in Usopp and Chopper). That or he made Coby unbearable on purpose because he planned to make him awesome later the entire time.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

WhiffleballDude posted:

I think maybe Oda felt like he had to have the stereotypical weakling annoying kid who does nothing, but quickly got rid of that idea (and implemented elements of it in Usopp and Chopper). That or he made Coby unbearable on purpose because he planned to make him awesome later the entire time.

That first theory makes perfect sense, really. One Piece came out right in the middle of a wave of shounen manga with especially useless annoying kid side characters, and at the time it was just some new thing, not the big megahit One Piece now is. Latching on to what was popular at the time, and then discarding it when the chance arose because it was annoying, makes sense.

Sojourn
Mar 28, 2005

WhiffleballDude posted:

That or he made Coby unbearable on purpose because he planned to make him awesome later the entire time.

This would work, except that Coby is still my least favorite character. The first option is entirely plausible though.

KenjiKaizoku
Oct 21, 2008
Incredible, as expected. I've been waiting for Luffy's reveal to the public in anime form for weeks now, and I'm glad I started watching again just in time. Seriously, it's so goddamn awesome.

The Strawhats haven't outclassed an enemy like that in quite a while. Even better, they got to take out Pacifistas, the very same enemies that nearly overwhelmed them a mere 2 years ago. I love seeing how easy it is for them now...so, so glorious.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

WhiffleballDude posted:

Unlike everyone else I'm pretty sure it was the second option, but then again, I actually quite like Coby. And I'm happy to say, predicted his and Helmeppo's return to face Luffy and Zoro long before they actually reappeared in Enies Lobby. Coby has a dream, and he's actively on his way to achieve it. He's had one since chapter two or something like that. Dreams are not a light thing in One Piece, and Oda' doesn't hand them out willy nilly to random characters. All of which makes me think Coby's plot was planned to run alongside Luffy's from the start, and that he'll face Luffy as a serious enemy much later on in time.

seigfox
Dec 2, 2005

Just an average guy who serves as an average hero.
The fact that he seems to have gained some haki related abilities during the War of the Best (is that what its called?) reinforces the idea that he'll be a rival or opponent of some sort later on.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

seigfox posted:

The fact that he seems to have gained some haki related abilities during the War of the Best (is that what its called?) reinforces the idea that he'll be a rival or opponent of some sort later on.

Not to mention the fact that he's being trained by Garp directly, even Luffy didn't have that.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

tsob posted:

All of which makes me think Coby's plot was planned to run alongside Luffy's from the start, and that he'll face Luffy as a serious enemy much later on in time.

As structured and thought-out as One Piece is, I highly doubt that Coby was ever intended to be a throw-away character. I would venture a guess that Coby's role was probably determined before the character was ever even written into the manga.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I forget, was Axe Hand Morgan recaptured by the marines? I'd love to see Helmeppo kick his rear end now that he's probably a lot stronger than his old man.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Nechronic posted:

I forget, was Axe Hand Morgan recaptured by the marines? I'd love to see Helmeppo kick his rear end now that he's probably a lot stronger than his old man.

Pretty sure Garp recaptured him after Coby and Helmeppo stood up to him in front of Garp. Wasn't that what earned them a place being trained by Garp in the first place?

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

tsob posted:

Pretty sure Garp recaptured him after Coby and Helmeppo stood up to him in front of Garp. Wasn't that what earned them a place being trained by Garp in the first place?

Nope, he's still on the loose. It was confirmed in the manga during Jango's cover story. Axe Hand Morgan was still sailing in his boat while Jango drifted along.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Scratchman Apoo posted:

Nope, he's still on the loose. It was confirmed in the manga during Jango's cover story. Axe Hand Morgan was still sailing in his boat while Jango drifted along.

Interesting. There's really no other reason to leave him on the loose than for Helmeppo to recapture him eventually. Maybe Coby/Helmeppo will get another cover arc to show off their new training or something?

You'd have to imagine Morgan would get a power up though, because Helmeppo would so far outstrip Morgan as he was that he'd probably be able to just knock him out just by blinking in his direction. Maybe his other 3 limbs will all be axes too? Or maybe he'll have eaten the ax fruit and women will be all over him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Scratchman Apoo posted:

http://onepieceofficial.com/videos.aspx

New episode up.

Edit: I find it interesting that they decided to reveal that Caribou is a devil fruit user. For anyone who hasn't read the manga, what are you thinking his power is? There was a lot of speculation going around.

My guess is quicksand, judging by the way the spear was sucked into his stomach, plus color and material. Could also be mud or clay, but I thought the color was too light for mud and too brown for clay.