Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ledge
Jun 10, 2003

The old thread was created over 4 years ago and the OP hadn't been touched in over 2 years and it was completely out of date so here is a new version.

What is foobar2000?

foobar2000 (foobar or f2k) is an advanced freeware audio player for the Windows platform.

foobar2000 Official Website

foobar2000 Features!
code:
    *Supported audio formats: MP3, MP4, AAC, CD Audio, WMA, Vorbis, FLAC, WavPack, WAV, AIFF, Musepack, Speex, AU, SND... and more with additional components.
    *Gapless playback.
    *Full unicode support.
    *Easily customizable user interface layout.
    *Advanced tagging capabilities.
    *Support for ripping Audio CDs as well as transcoding all supported audio formats using the Converter component.
    *Full ReplayGain support.
    *Customizable keyboard shortcuts.
    *Open component architecture allowing third-party developers to extend functionality of the player.
Once upon a time upon installing f2k you would end up with something pretty horrible like this:

But since version 0.9.5 (The current version is 1.1.8) there has been a new default UI that will look something like this...

In fact on first running f2k you get a dialog to choose your layout...

And customising the layout in the default UI is pretty drat simple, so it is pretty easy to get to something that suits you. For example my layout is this...

Components
The components are really what makes f2k so fantastic. These expand the player from a good music player to incredibly powerful and A list of most of the components can be found here though there are some not listed there that can be found in the f2k 3rd party plugins forum.

Some examples of plugins that I think are pretty good are...

foo_wave_seekbar - provides seekbar functionality (seeking, position indicator) on top of a pretty image of the waveform of the currently playing song.

SimPlaylist - a replacement playlist display component that includes album art and grouping.

Facets - Media library viewer with linked lists, multiple columns, album art, statistics, and search functions. This gives iTunes like music browsing.

foo_uie_lyrics3 - Lyrics downloader and display component that supports timestamped lyrics.

But there are heaps of others covering ipod integration, podcasting, tagging, visualisation, searching, statistics, playlist management and heaps of other stuff.

Playlists

f2k is a playlist based player which means that you can have multiple playlists with different selections in them, either single albums, genres, everything in your library or pretty much anything else.

One of the most powerful features of f2k, I think, is autoplaylists. These allow you to write queries to select music from your library that will automatically update with any new music or changes to tagging. For example I have an autoplaylist called "The Usual" with the definition:

code:
(%genre% HAS Trance OR %genre% HAS Rock OR %genre% HAS Dub OR %genre% HAS Ambient 
OR %genre% HAS Electro OR %genre% HAS House OR %genre% HAS Indie OR %genre% HAS Brit 
OR %genre% HAS Leftfield OR %genre% HAS Techno OR %genre% HAS Downtempo OR %genre% HAS Pop 
OR %DISCOGS_GENRE% HAS Elec) AND NOT (%artist% IS Joy Division OR %artist% IS The Smiths 
OR %artist% IS Morrissey)
And if you have the Playback Statistics component installed you can do this...

code:
%added% DURING LAST 2 WEEKS AND NOT %path% HAS podcast
to display newly added music (that doesn't have the string 'podcast' in its path).

Title Formatting

Another important part of f2k is title formatting which is the scripting language used for displaying text (and doing other things) within the interface. For example in my sort order settings for playlists I have the following...

code:
$swapprefix(%album artist%) - $if($strstr('Various Artists',%album artist%),,%date% - )%album% - %discnumber% - %tracknumber% - %title%
Which will sort by the album artist with 'A' and 'The' ignored, then only if the album isn't a compilation by date, then by album name, discnumber, track number then title.

But that's not all title formatting can be used for, it can be used in the playlist display,

More about title formatting can be found here.

Customization and Skins

f2k doesn't really have skins as such, but that hasn't stopped people making some stunningly good looking interfaces. I used to use one of these, but eventually got to the point where the default ui with SimPlaylist and a few other components was everything I wanted and any skin just got in the way of usability.

But if this sort of thing does float your boat then probably the best place to look is on Deviant Art. Most of these skins need multiple components, so make sure you read any instructions carefully to get them working.

Also, if you run into any skins that require the panels ui component, don't bother with them as panels ui does not work with foobar 0.9.5 or later and is no longer developed.

Visualisations

f2k comes with a number of inbuilt visualisations but what you probably want is Milkdrop from WinAmp. To get this running you need foo_vis_shpeck and a MilkDrop 2.24 package for foobar.

Links

foobar2000 Official Website
foobar2000 wiki
foobar2000 forum
Title Formatting Reference
Deviant Art foobar skins
Official components repository
The old thread

Feel free to ask questions as there are a bunch of us here that are pretty knowledgeable about f2k and should be able to help you out with most issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargield
Sep 27, 2008
f2k also supports mp3 players/iPods
http://yuo.be/ipod.php

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
It takes a bit of doing to setup, but this works well enough if you're interested in syncing your playcounts with your last.fm stats. As well as being able to love/unlove tracks.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=76772

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I think the Windows 7 integration plugin is handy enough to deserve a nod.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I had been using lyrics grabber 2 + text display, but foo_uie_lyrics3 is pretty nice, I didn't know there was a newer plugin that did both functions and supports synced lyrics to boot.

Only caveat is I don't see a way to batch tag lyrics with it

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
Foobar2000?

I loving love foobar2000.

This is the setup that I've been using and constantly tweaking for about 3 years. I think it's finally approaching near-perfection for what I want it to do.

Mainly DefaultUI, with facets on the left, wsh_panelmod things for the art and last.fm, and a single dockable panel for the lyrics.

Highlights of this setup:
  • Autodownloading synced lyrics, album art (saved as folder.jpg) and multiple pics of the artist (probably my favourite feature) I cannibalised the autodownloading artist/album art from a setup called foo_silk

• Last.fm charts displayed at the bottom again from foo_silk

• Rearranging my entire library based on a set pattern (so those torrents you have with multiple file naming patterns actually end up nicely arranged, and accurately, unlike when iTunes tries to do it).
    Before: http://i.imgur.com/VxZ8W.png :barf: After: http://i.imgur.com/1hVoy.png :sun:

• Automatically re-tagging albums when syncing to iPod to add a) proper various artists support and b) proper dates support (so a various artists album would appear as: Various Artists - [2009] Some lovely Compilation, and the track would be titled Generic Pop Track // lovely Artist)

• Keyboard shortcuts loading currently playing artist/album on http://what.cd

• Autoplaylists for "New Music Autumn 2011" etc monitoring new additions to Library

If you're interested in copying this:
Custom components used to make this happen: http://i.imgur.com/X2ChS.png

Install all of those, then download this: http://code.google.com/p/foobar-silk/downloads/detail?name=foo_silk%204.0.zip&can=2&q= and follow all the installation instructions to set it up his way. (this basically links it with your last.fm properly and ensures that the scripts actually load)

Once you've done that, download this theme file, double click it, import everything, and it *should* work: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23243/foobar%20theme%20for%20SA.fth i hope i stripped all my personal info :ohdear:

Here's a few of the titleformatting script things I've written to enable this incase anyone finds them useful (some are included in the theme above, some aren't)

File name pattern used: (elegantly supports Various Artists and multi-disc albums)

quote:

$cut(/%codec%/$if(%album artist%,%album artist%,%artist%) - ['['$cut(%date%,4)'] ']%album%/$ifequal(%totaldiscs%,1,,%discnumber%) %tracknumber% $if($strcmp(%artist%,%album artist%),,'['%artist%']' )%title%,235)

FacetsUI sorting:

quote:

$if(%album artist%,%album artist%,%artist%) - ['['$cut(%date%,4)'] ']%album% » '['%codec% '/' $if(%actualbitrate%,%actualbitrate%,$if($strcmp(%codec%,AAC),%bitrate%,)$if($strcmp(%codec%,MP3),$if($strcmp(%codec_profile%,CBR),%codec_profile% %bitrate%,%codec_profile%),)$if($or($strcmp(%codec%,ALAC),$strcmp(%codec%,FLAC)),Lossless,))']')

(the use of %actualbitrate% is for the rare occasion when you get an anomalous album that for some reason has the codec profiles and bitrates all hosed up, I manually add a tag to override it)

Very ugly and non-elegantly coded (but still works) defaultUI grouping (I should really clean this up):

quote:

$if($and($not($stricmp($meta(album artist),)),$or($not($stricmp($meta(album artist),$meta(artist))),$stricmp($meta(album artist),various artists))),%album artist%,%artist%) - '['%date%']' %album% $if(%release type%,'['%release type%']' ,)» '['%codec% $if($stricmp(%codec_profile%,CBR),'/' CBR %bitrate%,$if($or($stricmp(%codec%,ALAC),$stricmp(%codec%,FLAC)),'/' Lossless,$if($stricmp(%codec%,AAC),$if($and($greater(%bitrate%,100),$greater(135,%bitrate%)),'/' 128, '/' %bitrate%),'/' %codec_profile%)))$if(%source%, '/' %source%,$if($stricmp(%obtained from%,iTunes Store), '/' iTunes,$if($stricmp(%obtained from%,what.cd), '/' what.cd,$if($stricmp(%obtained from%,ST Music), '/' ST Music,))))']'

Foo_dop Artist, Title, and Album mappings (in that order):

quote:

$if($and($not($stricmp($meta(album artist),)),$or($not($stricmp($meta(album artist),$meta(artist))),$stricmp($meta(album artist),various artists))),%album artist%,%artist%)

$if($and($not($stricmp($meta(album artist),)),$or($not($stricmp($meta(album artist),$meta(artist))),$stricmp($meta(album artist),various artists))),%title% '/''/' %artist%,%title%)

'['%date%']' %album%

Also, thanks to Toast Museum for pointing out the Win 7 integration plugin, that's really good.

Mr SuperAwesome fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 2, 2011

BathroomTile
Jun 4, 2005

Just your run-of-the-mill bathroom tile.
Posting HelfMyselp's Milkdrop instructions for Foobar

(ty for the new thread, Ledge!)

HelfMyselp posted:

Boring config incoming:

Pretty standard fare, but I will say that importing MilkDrop over from Winamp was probably the best thing I've done. :)

I think this has been covered in the thread, but if anyone wants to add MilkDrop:
  • Download Shpeck from the foobar2000 components page.
  • Download the MilkDrop archive from here (my hosting, contains a dummy, zero-byte winamp.exe as required by Shpeck).
  • Install Shpeck as normal, then extract the archive to your foobar2000 install dir (Program Files (x86)\foobar2000).
  • Restart foobar2000 then go to Preferences > Visualizations > Shpeck, set your Winamp directory to where you extracted the archive, and click Refresh List. You should see MilkDrop v2.23 in the list.
  • Add a Shpeck panel to your layout like you would any other panel or component. Tweak as necessary to your tastes.
  • Enjoy MilkDrop! :lsd:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Dear god, thank you so much for this. :woop: I have tried many times to customize my foobar, but half the time one of the components the guide I've followed used has fallen out of date and just fucks the whole thing up.

Maybe this time I'll make it all the way through!

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I have a Rainmeter skin that analyses your 'currently playing' info in Winamp. How can I get it to analyze my Foobar info instead?

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Install Shpeck, you don't need to use its visualization capability. It's currently the most feature complete Winamp API emulator.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

kode54 posted:

Install Shpeck, you don't need to use its visualization capability. It's currently the most feature complete Winamp API emulator.

I did, but when I play my music it still doesn't show up. Do I need to change anything in the skin's .ini file (paths and whatnot)?

this is what I currently have it set to:

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Hmm, disregard that, there seems to be native foobar2000 support in the latest NowPlaying beta plug-in, which connects to foobar2000 through a foo_rainmeter.dll, also included.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

kode54 posted:

Hmm, disregard that, there seems to be native foobar2000 support in the latest NowPlaying beta plug-in, which connects to foobar2000 through a foo_rainmeter.dll, also included.

Well if it comes down to it I'd use that, but I'd prefer to not have to completely recode everything :)

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Is there a way to get the total duration of an album? I'd like to add it in my SimPlaylist config.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

The Milkman posted:

Is there a way to get the total duration of an album? I'd like to add it in my SimPlaylist config.

Use %length% in the header section. Also works in Sub headers so you can have total length for multi disc albums and then individual disc lengths.

More here.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Another plugin I quite like is the Biography Viewer foo_uie_biography which does pretty much what is say on the label, displays a biography for the currently playing artist or reviews for the currently playing album.

By default it gets bios from lastfm and/or wikipedia, however you can run external scripts and scripts have been written to get bios from amg.

The two scripts are in this zip file

Save these to a scripts folder in your f2k program folder.

And below is how you set it up.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

ledge posted:

Use %length% in the header section. Also works in Sub headers so you can have total length for multi disc albums and then individual disc lengths.

More here.

Not sure how I missed that, having that page open the whole time. Thanks.

Added two tabs with that biography component. Quite like it. Here's what I'm currently using:

SimPlaylist config for those interested

TheSkeletonMan
Feb 24, 2011

Over the years I've tried just about every music player and I keep coming back to foobar.

I'm currently using a tweaked version of the Mnlt2 skin:

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
What's the best built in album art finder/downloader for Foobar? I found 2 that are standalone and one that appears to have been abandoned.

e: how does one do play count? I thought it was %play_count% but I'm still getting a question mark for all songs.

Master_Odin fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 9, 2011

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Master_Odin posted:

What's the best built in album art finder/downloader for Foobar? I found 2 that are standalone and one that appears to have been abandoned.

e: how does one do play count? I thought it was %play_count% but I'm still getting a question mark for all songs.
I don't know if it's the best, but the Discogs tagger component's always served me well when it comes to fetching album art.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Woebin posted:

I don't know if it's the best, but the Discogs tagger component's always served me well when it comes to fetching album art.

But that is only one album at a time, unless I have missed something.

Try this...

Album Art Downloader XUI

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Master_Odin posted:

I use the Last.fm synced playcount script (linked earlier), but there is a traditional playcount component.
http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_playcount

Chilled Milk fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 10, 2011

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

TheSkeletonMan posted:

Over the years I've tried just about every music player and I keep coming back to foobar.

I'm currently using a tweaked version of the Mnlt2 skin:

It's really funny you brought this up, because another MonoLite2 was made a few years back and I'd been using that one. Nope, this was MonoLite Plus but it's still got some great features.

Jeff Goldblum fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 11, 2011

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
One of my favourite componets is the http_control http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=62218

it allows remote control via web browsers which can be endlessly customised with normal html/css/javascript.

After lots of help over on the HA forums I've got all the controls I need from my android phone (though it has an iphone look), and it can be adapted for other phones/tablets etc.

I've gone the extra step and ran speaker cable from my PC to different rooms in the house and I can control where it plays, although this worked much simpler on Windows XP than it does on Windows 7.

Manticorr
Jun 13, 2003
charter member of the "OMG HEAD=HUGE/MISHAPEN" club

The Milkman posted:

I use the Last.fm synced playcount script (linked earlier), but there is a traditional playcount component.
http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_playcount

Be careful when using this. If you rate songs regularly, it overrides the %rating% tag and writes your ratings to the foo_playcount database rather than the actual file, for some totally bizarre reason

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Manticorr posted:

Be careful when using this. If you rate songs regularly, it overrides the %rating% tag and writes your ratings to the foo_playcount database rather than the actual file, for some totally bizarre reason

For the same reason that it defaults to storing play counts and dates in its own internal database. Of course, there is an option to synchronize playback statistics with file tags, but it's all or none, so you'll be getting your play counts written to the file as well. Of course, maybe you like that.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

kode54 posted:

For the same reason that it defaults to storing play counts and dates in its own internal database. Of course, there is an option to synchronize playback statistics with file tags, but it's all or none, so you'll be getting your play counts written to the file as well. Of course, maybe you like that.

Just to add to this, the reason the playcount component doesn't update tags by default, is that the developer has decided that changing the actual file without the user agreeing first is not good practice. f2k in general will never alter your files without you specifically telling it to.

Also if you update tags on files while they are playying this can interrupt playback, particularly on large files that only have id3v1 tags as they are at the beginning of a file and rewriting them means rewrting the entire file on the disk (I believe, feel free to correct me if I am talking poo poo).

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control
Before you upgrade your iPhone, the foo_dop plugin doesn't work with iOS5. It will transfer files, but the iPhone won't recognize it as "music" -- iTunes reports it as "other".

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I seriously cannot understand how any human, sober or on tons of drugs, can possibly look at any Milkdrop preset without wanting to tear their eyes out. It's like it jumpcuts every loving fraction of a second to different orientation or angle or whatever, and I'm talking about within the same preset. I.....don't get it.

Is there anyway to get magnetosphere on foobar?

I miss the old magnetosphere before iTunes had to put their own "pizzaz" to it :smith:

mellowjournalism fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Oct 17, 2011

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
can the auto playlists look at a particular folder over a network, automatically add anything which is added in there to it's library, and keep shuffling it all? It's for work.

I have to ask our NY office for admin rights to install things, so I dont want to have to ask them more than once.
I think it should be able to, but the autoplaylists in the op only mentions tag changing - not actual folder scanning. even if it just does it once a night, thats good enough.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

cubicle gangster posted:

can the auto playlists look at a particular folder over a network, automatically add anything which is added in there to it's library, and keep shuffling it all? It's for work.

I have to ask our NY office for admin rights to install things, so I dont want to have to ask them more than once.
I think it should be able to, but the autoplaylists in the op only mentions tag changing - not actual folder scanning. even if it just does it once a night, thats good enough.

You'd have to manually start things playing to my knowledge, but it can definitely play files from a network storage and aggregate them from a certain folder. That's how mine's set up.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
What do you mean by play them manually?
Does it automatically add new albums you throw in a particular folder to its library? can you get it to play it's entire library on random, including anything new as it gets added?

It would be installed on an old server which we want to throw in the corner and forget about. I guess we could remote in each morning, but ideally we just turn the speakers on and some music is playing.
It also needs to update its library without complaining when we move things out of that folder, eg an album we're all sick of.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 19, 2011

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

cubicle gangster posted:

You don't even need to use an autoplaylist for this -- just add the network folder to foobar's Music Library. This will keep the library constantly up to date. It hooks into the file system with a "notify me whenever files in this folder change" command, so it pretty much instantly updates whenever anything is added, removed, or changed.

Then use the autoplaylist set to "everything in library" to play the whole thing on shuffle.

Foobar is pretty drat well behaved about networked folders in the library. It's pretty good about knowing how to deal with a folder being unavailable (network down): it should just ignore that part of the library. Quit and restart foobar, it tries again. But it can get stuck on "error" instead of "monitoring" in the library, in which case you may have to remove and re-add the folder.

Edit:

quote:

It would be installed on an old server which we want to throw in the corner and forget about. I guess we could remote in each morning, but ideally we just turn the speakers on and some music is playing.
OK, so you want it to be a dedicated music player computer? The music files all stored on the same computer with foobar playing them (with the folder shared to the network for public contribution)? Yeah, this would work fine, foobar's music library + autoplaylist will keep everything up to date instantly. Also look into the http control plugin for some manual remote control, and maybe foo scheduler to have scheduled start & stop (play during work hours instead of 24/7).

On a different topic, since its a new thread I'll point any new users to the existence of Foo UI Hacks, the plugin so good they banned it. Does many useful things, now with the ability to make foobar a portable app.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 19, 2011

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Klyith posted:

You don't even need to use an autoplaylist for this -- just add the network folder to foobar's Music Library. This will keep the library constantly up to date. It hooks into the file system with a "notify me whenever files in this folder change" command, so it pretty much instantly updates whenever anything is added, removed, or changed.

Then use the autoplaylist set to "everything in library" to play the whole thing on shuffle.

Foobar is pretty drat well behaved about networked folders in the library. It's pretty good about knowing how to deal with a folder being unavailable (network down): it should just ignore that part of the library. Quit and restart foobar, it tries again. But it can get stuck on "error" instead of "monitoring" in the library, in which case you may have to remove and re-add the folder.

Edit:

OK, so you want it to be a dedicated music player computer? The music files all stored on the same computer with foobar playing them (with the folder shared to the network for public contribution)? Yeah, this would work fine, foobar's music library + autoplaylist will keep everything up to date instantly. Also look into the http control plugin for some manual remote control, and maybe foo scheduler to have scheduled start & stop (play during work hours instead of 24/7).

On a different topic, since its a new thread I'll point any new users to the existence of Foo UI Hacks, the plugin so good they banned it. Does many useful things, now with the ability to make foobar a portable app.

Foobar can already install as a portable app.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

Klyith posted:

Who in their right mind would trust a banned plugin from a site entirely in Russian with the word "hacks" in it?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
If you have an android device, you can use this app to remotely control your foobar:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.cav.foobar2000controllerpro

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

pokecapn posted:

Who in their right mind would trust a banned plugin from a site entirely in Russian with the word "hacks" in it?
Hacks in the sense of "workarounds" or "quick fixes". No-one wants to hack your music player to steal your anime soundtracks. Russian because the author and evidently a lot of users of foobar are russian (there used to be a dedicated foobar2000.ru with almost as much traffic as the official one). Unless you think russians are inherently untrustworthy?
Banned because of old drama. (And it's not really banned anymore, the fb2k devs seem to have chilled out a bit. Still can't get listed on the components site or official forum though. Which is why I give it a plug here. I'm not stirring the poo poo; I genuinely use the plugin and some of the tweaks from ui_hacks are things that I can't do without.)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Oh gently caress I got my music to output emulated 5.1 to my speakers through foobar, and it sounds loving great

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Oh gently caress I got my music to output emulated 5.1 to my speakers through foobar, and it sounds loving great

This sounds interesting. How? And do I need any specific hardware?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

hooah posted:

This sounds interesting. How? And do I need any specific hardware?

It says for headphones but I have it working with my 5 speaker setup (too poor for a subwoofer) sent to an external receiver over optical

http://www.head-fi.org/t/447089/5-1-headphone-experience-foobar-configuration-for-all-stereo-music-files

As an example, it seems to mix vocals towards the front and other frequencies get sort of filtered and pushed to the back.

Like I played a song with vocals and a different range of bass and higher I guess guitar work and most of that was supplemented in the rear speaker and I heard no or almost no vocals out of it, but vocals predominately came out of the front/center

Kind of hard to explain but it works great with my hand me down system and does exactly what I wanted it to do. Before I was getting mostly audio from the center only and the side speakers/rear were too quiet.

• Locked thread