Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

kode54 posted:

Artist or Album Artist? Check the file properties. If so, it was something that was changed with 1.1.8. It may be fixed by opening a mass file Properties dialog on all affected tracks and formatting the Album Artist field from the string "$meta(album artist,0)".

If that's not it, I don't know what to tell you, although a $meta(field,0) in the same Format from other fields dialog will also remove duplicates from any other meta field.

It was album artist. I fixed the problem anyway by copying what was in the Band field to Album Artist (I conveniently had Band tagged the same as Album Artist in all my music, for some reason)

Why did that happen with 1.1.8?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
The ID3v2 frame known as TPE2 was translated to "Band" in prior versions of foobar2000, as well as mp3tag. Version 1.1.8 changed that (with an option to revert it to the past behavior in advanced preferences) to match what most other software does, like iTunes, Windows Media Player, and probably many portable players do, which is to translate it as "Album Artist".

The problem is that many people using older foobar2000 or mp3tag along with the other software tended to fill in both "Album Artist" and "Band". The original "Album Artist" tags, which were written as ID3v2 TXXX, which are generic text frames, with the field name of "Album Artist", are still read as "Album Artist" by current foobar2000, regardless of that new option.

So, you either have two different fields with the old style or new setting changed, or you have two values in your "Album Artist" field. The easy fix for files with two values is to keep the new setting at its default, then use title formatting on a mass selection of affected files to reset the "Album Artist" field to the formatted output of "$meta(album artist,0)".

Or you can temporarily turn the setting to the old behavior, then delete the "Album Artist" field so there's only a "Band" field. Of course, you'll have to reload your tags between making changes to the setting.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Use APE tags instead of id3v2, never care again about the abortion that is the id3v2 spec or it's retarded tagging assignments again. Fucks given that my mp3 player can't read APE and so has titles cut off at 30 characters: zero. It's screen can't display more than 20-something without scrolling anyways.

It says a lot that foobar can write id3v2 tags perfectly according to the spec as written, but you have to change "advanced" settings to do so, because every other piece of software and hardware in the world uses them incorrectly. Id3v2 is terrible.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

kode54 posted:

The ID3v2 frame known as TPE2 was translated to "Band" in prior versions of foobar2000, as well as mp3tag. Version 1.1.8 changed that (with an option to revert it to the past behavior in advanced preferences) to match what most other software does, like iTunes, Windows Media Player, and probably many portable players do, which is to translate it as "Album Artist".

The problem is that many people using older foobar2000 or mp3tag along with the other software tended to fill in both "Album Artist" and "Band". The original "Album Artist" tags, which were written as ID3v2 TXXX, which are generic text frames, with the field name of "Album Artist", are still read as "Album Artist" by current foobar2000, regardless of that new option.

So, you either have two different fields with the old style or new setting changed, or you have two values in your "Album Artist" field. The easy fix for files with two values is to keep the new setting at its default, then use title formatting on a mass selection of affected files to reset the "Album Artist" field to the formatted output of "$meta(album artist,0)".

Or you can temporarily turn the setting to the old behavior, then delete the "Album Artist" field so there's only a "Band" field. Of course, you'll have to reload your tags between making changes to the setting.

Huh, interesting. Well I did all the mass retagging and left the option as-is. Thanks!

Arob1000
Jul 30, 2006
The man, the myth, the legend...

Klyith posted:

Use APE tags instead of id3v2, never care again about the abortion that is the id3v2 spec or it's retarded tagging assignments again. Fucks given that my mp3 player can't read APE and so has titles cut off at 30 characters: zero. It's screen can't display more than 20-something without scrolling anyways.

It says a lot that foobar can write id3v2 tags perfectly according to the spec as written, but you have to change "advanced" settings to do so, because every other piece of software and hardware in the world uses them incorrectly. Id3v2 is terrible.

I use foobar for my music, but once a year or so I install iTunes to take advantage of some misc thing it can do. If I let iTunes find my music, when I go back to foobar I discover that many of my tracks have some tags permanently truncated (and maybe some deleted for all I know) and I spend a bunch of time fixing them. Is that related, and is there a way to stop that from happening?

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

Arob1000 posted:

I use foobar for my music, but once a year or so I install iTunes to take advantage of some misc thing it can do. If I let iTunes find my music, when I go back to foobar I discover that many of my tracks have some tags permanently truncated (and maybe some deleted for all I know) and I spend a bunch of time fixing them. Is that related, and is there a way to stop that from happening?
iTunes has a bad habit of butchering tags and editing files. It does not adhere to standards at all well, and is just rather good at loving up your carefully tagged mp3s in one way or another.

What specifically are you trying to do with iTunes that foobar cannot do?

The best way to prevent iTunes from editing (breaking) your id3 tags is probably to select your entire music library and set the files read only, and only unset this when you've finished using iTunes.

If your "misc thing" in iTunes involves editing files, I'd suggest sharing it with us here so we can suggest a proper alternative using foobar2000 (or an external program if necessary).

If not, setting the files read only should do the trick (but foobar2000 can probably do what you want anyway, it's great like that!)

Arob1000
Jul 30, 2006

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

iTunes has a bad habit of butchering tags and editing files. It does not adhere to standards at all well, and is just rather good at loving up your carefully tagged mp3s in one way or another.

What specifically are you trying to do with iTunes that foobar cannot do?

The best way to prevent iTunes from editing (breaking) your id3 tags is probably to select your entire music library and set the files read only, and only unset this when you've finished using iTunes.

If your "misc thing" in iTunes involves editing files, I'd suggest sharing it with us here so we can suggest a proper alternative using foobar2000 (or an external program if necessary).

If not, setting the files read only should do the trick (but foobar2000 can probably do what you want anyway, it's great like that!)

Well, I posted because I was thinking of getting an iPad, and file sync/transfers are pretty awkward without installing iTunes, especially if you want to use the built-in music and video players (as far as I know). I know there's foo_dop, which I used when I had an iPod before I got a smartphone, but it's not compatible with iOS 5 (yet, I guess?) and it always struggled with things like album covers when I used it anyway. I also wasn't able to find a way to use most of the other iCloud functions without installing iTunes on my laptop, or to manually manage iPad things like homescreen organization.

I've used it for auto-sorting all of my music into folders, for making playlists that non-foobar users can read, hmm at least a couple others things that don't come to mind right now. Tag & Rename works better for me for sorting, but I never diagnosed the problem with playlists (save as .m3u should work?).

Also, I'm looking for a good way to stream to my mobile things (android phone / ?tablet), and it would be great to be able to do that in foobar, but the best I came up with is Subsonic.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Arob1000 posted:

Well, I posted because I was thinking of getting an iPad, and file sync/transfers are pretty awkward without installing iTunes, especially if you want to use the built-in music and video players (as far as I know). I know there's foo_dop, which I used when I had an iPod before I got a smartphone, but it's not compatible with iOS 5 (yet, I guess?) and it always struggled with things like album covers when I used it anyway. I also wasn't able to find a way to use most of the other iCloud functions without installing iTunes on my laptop, or to manually manage iPad things like homescreen organization.

I've used it for auto-sorting all of my music into folders, for making playlists that non-foobar users can read, hmm at least a couple others things that don't come to mind right now. Tag & Rename works better for me for sorting, but I never diagnosed the problem with playlists (save as .m3u should work?).

Also, I'm looking for a good way to stream to my mobile things (android phone / ?tablet), and it would be great to be able to do that in foobar, but the best I came up with is Subsonic.

Try Audio Galaxy for device streaming. Install the program on the machine with the music, install the app on your devices, log in, stream. No setting up servers, port forwarding, or anything.

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

To crooked eyes truth may wear a wry face.
Is there a simple way to make my foobar look like Winamp? I like foobar but i prefer the simple Winamp look. I'd like to be able to see all tracks at once. Here's how my Winamp looks:

Mayne fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Nov 15, 2011

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Arob1000 posted:

If you have an iThing it seems you really can't get away from itunes. You spend more time trying to get the alternative software working properly then you would just using loving itunes and fixing things it breaks.

quote:

I may not be understanding, but when you use foobar to save a playlist as m3u, it doesn't work with other programs? Am I correct in my interpretation that you want foobar for playing music, tag&rename for organizing, and itunes for the ipad and making playlists? If this is correct, and you need to have itunes installed all the time, this is what I would do:

1. Make a new user account on your computer (ex "stevejobs"), and relog to that. Install itunes on the new account, but don't run it yet. Switch back to your main user, and change "stevejobs" to a standard user instead of an administrator.

2. The next step depends on where you keep your music, but the idea is to use security permissions on that directory such that Users can read but not write files. It'll be easiest if you have it in your own user folder, ie "my music" type place. In that case you just have to add a permission to the folder for stevejobs. Other places get a bit more complicated depending on where and which os version.

3. Use the Run as function to run itunes as "stevejobs" from your main account. Point itunes to where you keep your music. Deny it when you get UAC program wants to make changes to your computer popups.

Itunes neutered, everything else unaffected. fin.

Manta
Jul 22, 2007

LooKMaN posted:

Is there a simple way to make my foobar look like Winamp? I like foobar but i prefer the simple Winamp look. I'd like to be able to see all tracks at once. Here's how my Winamp looks:

Personally I use Columbs UI to set up a UI behavior similar to winamp. Not sure if there is a better way. Mine looks like this with the bottom panel showing all the songs and I can narrow it down with the other panels/search. But you should be able set it like you have winamp.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

LooKMaN posted:

Is there a simple way to make my foobar look like Winamp? I like foobar but i prefer the simple Winamp look. I'd like to be able to see all tracks at once. Here's how my

Well you could do a search for "ALL" without the quotes, then make a Autoplaylist from that and that playlist would always contain all your music.

Other than that, I just played about with the scratchbox and got something reasonably similar pretty quickly. It depends what those visible playlists behave like.

It's probably important to realise that foobar doesn't have a "now playing" playlist like winamp.

I usually end up with dozens of playlists that build up over time, changing between them depending what I want to listen to or creating new ones all over the place. Lots of them are auto playlists, so are dynamic.

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day
Tried to solve this but failed miserably.

Just set Foobar up with foo_pqview (Playlist Queue Viewer) and foo_queuecontents, and want to change the function of double-click so it adds the file to the queue. Is this doable?

Also, is it possible to have two instances of ELPlaylist, one that no matter will show a specified playlist (in this case the one I have assigned to represent the playlist queue) and the other to act as a playlist panel normally would? I'd rather have the flexibility of a playlist window over the Queue Contents Editor panel but it's not essential.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm giving Foobar yet another go.

Is there built in functionality to manage my music library? I want to be able to put new music into a folder and have it automatically moved to my library folder and renamed (if applicable) and put in (or make new) folders for it.

Third party component?

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Red_Fred posted:

I'm giving Foobar yet another go.

Is there built in functionality to manage my music library? I want to be able to put new music into a folder and have it automatically moved to my library folder and renamed (if applicable) and put in (or make new) folders for it.

Third party component?

The move file command in foobar is pretty powerful. In the context menu it is in File Opertations -> Move to. You can then setup a title formatting script to set the file pattern you want to use and then save that and run it on new files. This will create folders and so on if they don't already exist.

I have
\%album artist% - %date% - %album%\[%discnumber% - ]%tracknumber% - %title%%fileext%

Foobar will not move files without user intervention though, so you'll have to run this manually on any new files.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

ledge posted:

The move file command in foobar is pretty powerful. In the context menu it is in File Opertations -> Move to. You can then setup a title formatting script to set the file pattern you want to use and then save that and run it on new files. This will create folders and so on if they don't already exist.

I have
\%album artist% - %date% - %album%\[%discnumber% - ]%tracknumber% - %title%%fileext%

Foobar will not move files without user intervention though, so you'll have to run this manually on any new files.

This is what I do and it's by far the best way to maintain my library. Having it automated would be nice, but I always have to fix/remove tags when I get new music, so it can't be any other way. Once you have your script saved its 2 clicks away. Since they implemented album cover embedding, I now only need foobar for complete maintenance and playback, it's great.

Bicycle SexFucker
Aug 15, 2007

I have zero interest in marriage.

HKR posted:

Try Audio Galaxy for device streaming. Install the program on the machine with the music, install the app on your devices, log in, stream. No setting up servers, port forwarding, or anything.

I love audiogalaxy. It's simple and great on android or ios.

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
Tried doing the seutp in one of the first posts in this thread:

http://i.imgur.com/SyArk.png

Where the LastFM stuff is, after I imported his theme, I get a "SCRIPT ERROR" white box. Not sure where I went wrong, it was working before i Imported it.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

ledge posted:

I have

Thanks I got this sorted, it's not a big deal to double check tags before I chuck music in my library anyway.

One other question though. Some album art is not showing at all for me. I had huge problems with colums UI before I stopped it from using built-in art reader which made 95% of my art show. However there are some pesky ones that will not. They are valid files with valid names but when I "tagging" and "attach picture" that still doesn't work. Ideas?

Also it seems png support is sketchy at best even with MP3Tag.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

Phiberoptik posted:

Tried doing the seutp in one of the first posts in this thread:

http://i.imgur.com/SyArk.png

Where the LastFM stuff is, after I imported his theme, I get a "SCRIPT ERROR" white box. Not sure where I went wrong, it was working before i Imported it.
I'm not sure if the installation instructions mention this, but I was reviewing the code for the last.fm script, and it references:

code:
// @import "%fb2k_profile_path%\foo_silk\scripts\foo_silk.js"
// @import "%fb2k_profile_path%\foo_silk\scripts\foo_silk-lastfm.js"
Are these files present in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\foobar2000\foo_silk\scripts ?

If not, let me know, I'll wipe my settings and try and configure it from scratch to work out what's going wrong.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I've got my radio streams arranged in a special tab, but I'm not happy with some of the info on display:

Is there a way to change the "? - ?" to something like "My radio stations"?

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

I'm not sure if the installation instructions mention this, but I was reviewing the code for the last.fm script, and it references:

code:
// @import "%fb2k_profile_path%\foo_silk\scripts\foo_silk.js"
// @import "%fb2k_profile_path%\foo_silk\scripts\foo_silk-lastfm.js"
Are these files present in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\foobar2000\foo_silk\scripts ?

If not, let me know, I'll wipe my settings and try and configure it from scratch to work out what's going wrong.

They are present. Seems like from the error log, the track data being passed to last.FM is getting messed up somehow.

RyceCube fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 24, 2011

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

I wiped my foobar config, and tried configuring it from scratch, and everything worked perfectly for me - and this is with no residual settings or components or anything, completely blank.

I presume you're using the latest versions of all the components required as well as foobar2000?

Also, (and I presume you did since you said everything was working fine, but just in case) did you use the foo_silk window's settings menu before importing my theme? Screenshot is below.

If you forgot that simply re-import the foo_silk.fth layout file and then revert back to mine.

If none of these did the trick, could you fire up the console and find the error text there?

To add the console, turn on layout editing mode, pick one of the tabs on the left hand side (or add a new one) and just ad the "Console" panel.

Sorry that this isn't working too well, it's not something I've specifically gone out and made, it got organically cobbled together over a period of a few years, hence the less-than smooth finish.

Edit: Ah, just read your edit, could you paste the exact output?

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

I wiped my foobar config, and tried configuring it from scratch, and everything worked perfectly for me - and this is with no residual settings or components or anything, completely blank.

I presume you're using the latest versions of all the components required as well as foobar2000?

Also, (and I presume you did since you said everything was working fine, but just in case) did you use the foo_silk window's settings menu before importing my theme? Screenshot is below.

If you forgot that simply re-import the foo_silk.fth layout file and then revert back to mine.

If none of these did the trick, could you fire up the console and find the error text there?

To add the console, turn on layout editing mode, pick one of the tabs on the left hand side (or add a new one) and just ad the "Console" panel.

Sorry that this isn't working too well, it's not something I've specifically gone out and made, it got organically cobbled together over a period of a few years, hence the less-than smooth finish.

Edit: Ah, just read your edit, could you paste the exact output?

Did all that.

code:
Error: WSH Panel Mod (foo_silk-lastfm v1.2 by Matthijs Brobbel): Microsoft JScript runtime error:
Object required
Ln: 92, Col: 4
<source text only available in compile time>
Autobackup: Backed up 24 items to autobackup.20111124-163813.zip
is the error I get.

Thanks for your help.

Also, The play/pause etc buttons on the top show up as ? marks.

E: Figured it out. Set avatar setting to 0 and it works now.

RyceCube fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Nov 25, 2011

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Red_Fred posted:

Thanks I got this sorted, it's not a big deal to double check tags before I chuck music in my library anyway.

One other question though. Some album art is not showing at all for me. I had huge problems with colums UI before I stopped it from using built-in art reader which made 95% of my art show. However there are some pesky ones that will not. They are valid files with valid names but when I "tagging" and "attach picture" that still doesn't work. Ideas?

Also it seems png support is sketchy at best even with MP3Tag.

Sorry to quote my own post but I got this sorted. I didn't realise Columns UI can only accept cover.* or front.* by default. Most of my art are called folder.* :eng101:

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
Spent a few hours getting everything setup. Finally got things the way I want, I think.

http://i.imgur.com/SVChl.jpg

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Recently had a move around, I'm going with this currently.

fuzzbox
Jul 7, 2011

Lemur Crisis posted:

Mine is nice and small since I sometimes use it on my netbook via remote desktop and I like it when it looks exactly the same between computers:

The left column in the top part abbreviates all the words in an artist's name that start after the 6th character, which was the smartest way I could think of to get the text never to be too long to fit in the column. I haven't done the same with album names yet because I don't know how to get them ordered chronologically without keeping the year and date in there.

i wish to subscribe to your minimal design. can you post up your config? i really like this.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What's the best way to save Album art to files? Can I do it through foobar? That's the only thing I'm missing I think...

cover.png or folder.png doesn't seem to work

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What's the best way to save Album art to files? Can I do it through foobar? That's the only thing I'm missing I think...

I don't know if there's a way to do it with Foobar, but it's like two clicks in MP3tag.

Arob1000
Jul 30, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Save from tag to file? Right-click, Tagging->Edit Attached Pictures, choose the cover and then click "Export"

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Arob1000 posted:

Save from tag to file? Right-click, Tagging->Edit Attached Pictures, choose the cover and then click "Export"

Ah that did it, I wanted to do the inverse of this though.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Ah that did it, I wanted to do the inverse of this though.

Save from file to tag? Right-click, Tagging, Attach pictures, or Batch attach pictures

:)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

ledge posted:

Save from file to tag? Right-click, Tagging, Attach pictures, or Batch attach pictures

:)

Yah, I got it working by doing that, thank you!

Lemur Crisis
May 6, 2009

What will you do?
Where can you run?

fuzzbox posted:

i wish to subscribe to your minimal design. can you post up your config? i really like this.
I don't know what you'll need other than the FCL file (and Columns UI), but here's that: http://www.mediafire.com/?c94dol7la8pyjgz

coeur de pirate
Sep 7, 2011
Is there a way to get foobar to play nicely with media buttons?

I have a logitech wave keyboard and there are a few dedicated media buttons that I would like to make use of. They only work with windows media player by default.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

coeur de pirate posted:

Is there a way to get foobar to play nicely with media buttons?

I have a logitech wave keyboard and there are a few dedicated media buttons that I would like to make use of. They only work with windows media player by default.

In the preferences, you can set any key or combination to do... pretty much anything.

Guerrand
Mar 12, 2006

RING RING RING RING RING RING
It's not always that simple because SetPoint requires to you to specify your media player in their config file. I couldn't get the buttons to work globally without it.

This is what I'm currently using with recent versions of both SetPoint and foobar (with Columns).

Guerrand fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Nov 29, 2011

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Guerrand posted:

It's not always that simple because SetPoint requires to you to specify your media player in their config file. I couldn't get the buttons to work globally without it.

This is what I'm currently using with recent versions of both SetPoint and foobar (with Columns).

Huh. I've got a logitech too, but didn't have to much about in any config file. Although, I don't use setpoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coeur de pirate
Sep 7, 2011
Got it working, thanks. Now I can slay some dragons listening to Brian Mcknight :dance:

Also, is anyone else's lyric show panel coming up with "search failed" every single time? I updated to the newest .dll and it hasn't changed anything

• Locked thread