Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Stanley Pain posted:

Check to make sure that the album name is exactly the same for each of those tracks.

That's why I posted the screenshot of the properties dialog - so others could verify they're exactly the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

hooah posted:

That's why I posted the screenshot of the properties dialog - so others could verify they're exactly the same.

I'm saying to manually check each one. Copy/past the first track's album title into all the other tracks, OR update the metadata for them again via whatever tag editing program you use :). Just to be sure. I've had some albums do this for me and that was the solution. Outside of that I'm not sure.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Stanley Pain posted:

I'm saying to manually check each one. Copy/past the first track's album title into all the other tracks, OR update the metadata for them again via whatever tag editing program you use :). Just to be sure. I've had some albums do this for me and that was the solution. Outside of that I'm not sure.

Ah, I see. I just re-wrote the album tag in mp3Tag, and still have the same behavior.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

hooah posted:

Ah, I see. I just re-wrote the album tag in mp3Tag, and still have the same behavior.

Could you try using the default ui with grouping by album selected to see if it does the same thing? If it doesn't then there must be something about the album title that's tripping up the code.

Also try %albumartist% and see what happens.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Stanley Pain posted:

Could you try using the default ui with grouping by album selected to see if it does the same thing? If it doesn't then there must be something about the album title that's tripping up the code.

I didn't see a way to group by anything, unless you meant sorting by artist/album. That seems to work fine.

quote:

Also try %albumartist% and see what happens.

Instead of %album artist%?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

hooah posted:

I didn't see a way to group by anything, unless you meant sorting by artist/album. That seems to work fine.

Instead of %album artist%?

It's been a while since I went into the specific variables in Foobar. It looks like you're correct, there's a space required ;)

When you select the default UI and do a quick setup, one of the bottom right options lets you choose how you want to group under playlist layout -> Group By Album. Just trying to figure out if it's Foobar being particular about this specific album, or something wrong with the tags.

Could you do a screen cap that has a "good" and "bad" artist so I can see how it looks?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Stanley Pain posted:

It's been a while since I went into the specific variables in Foobar. It looks like you're correct, there's a space required ;)

When you select the default UI and do a quick setup, one of the bottom right options lets you choose how you want to group under playlist layout -> Group By Album. Just trying to figure out if it's Foobar being particular about this specific album, or something wrong with the tags.

Could you do a screen cap that has a "good" and "bad" artist so I can see how it looks?

I'm not sure what happened. I did the default UI thing and it grouped the problem album fine, then switched back to the columnsUI theme, and it's grouping them fine again!

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

hooah posted:

I'm not sure what happened. I did the default UI thing and it grouped the problem album fine, then switched back to the columnsUI theme, and it's grouping them fine again!

Hahahah, chalk it up to Foobar being strange sometimes.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
It's not really foobar2000. Well, not really the desktop version. But it will be named foobar2000. And it's coming to mobile devices near you, by the end of the year or so. It just needs funding love.

http://mobile.foobar2000.com/

Read
Dec 21, 2010

kode54 posted:

It's not really foobar2000. Well, not really the desktop version. But it will be named foobar2000. And it's coming to mobile devices near you, by the end of the year or so. It just needs funding love.

"$100,000 main goal"

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
That's ridiculous. I've seen kickstarters for physical products require less funding.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
at least they're going to make a product regardless of whether they meet that goal

after like 12 years of using foobar i'm throwing $25 at them on principle. hopefully they produce something usable for android. Poweramp for Android is nice but could be improved on

emdash fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 18, 2014

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
I thought the goals were kind of lofty, myself, but I didn't set them. I'm to understand that this ideal funding is to pay for full time development for 3 developers for 3 months. Meaning that hopefully, we won't have to do anything else during the process, other than make this poo poo work.

I was also kind of hoping for Mac and/or Linux versions, which I asked the others about before we went public with the fundraiser, and was told that it wasn't planned. Maybe I can convince them to change their minds if we even get this thing off the ground.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
How do you guys download your artist art? I try the right click->utilities->Download Artist art from last.fm but that doesn't always have it, is there like a script I could use or a program?

Reive
May 21, 2009

Ket posted:

How do you guys download your artist art? I try the right click->utilities->Download Artist art from last.fm but that doesn't always have it, is there like a script I could use or a program?

Personally I ID3 tag all my music with MP3Tag, which supports information downloading from multiple sources (Amazon, free.db, discogs, music brain), I find it's more convenient when the cover art is embedded in the music file as both fb2k and my ipod will read it, which is what mp3tag does when saving the information.

There's probably a foobar component that can do something similar but I like keeping tag related things out of the player so I don't accidentally ruin my meticulous organization.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I use AlbumArtDownloader. It supports a number of search engines including last.fm, Amazon, iTunes, Discogs, etc. iTunes is pretty solid, and all of the art is 1200x1200.

They have a command line utility that can be used in conjunction with the Run services foobar addon. It launches the program and automatically performs a search for whichever album you right click on.

Add a new Run service with the following command:

"C:\Program Files\AlbumArtDownloader\AlbumArt.exe" /ar "%artist%" /al "%album%" /p "$replace(%path%,%filename_ext%,)folder.%%extension%%

And then simply right click->Run Services->AlbumArtDownloader.

Alternatively, you can install the COM Automation Server addon (might be bundled by default now), and it will allow AlbumArtDownloader to scan your entire library, or an individual playlist, and automatically search for missing artwork.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
Those seem to be geared towards downloading the album art and not photos of the artists, but thanks for the foo_run command, that's made that job a little easier for me.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Oops, I misread. I think AAD can grab artist art though it's limited to last.fm.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
I found it - you have to download a script from here as it doesn't seem to have that functionality off the bat.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I have a question about mp3tag - I've been using it for a few years and not sure if there's a better option out there.

I am trying to standardize my mp3s and it keeps doing stuff like this.

The Tupac stuff is just a good example, and it's all ripped from the actual CDs - is there any way to change the artist's info so it's not such a mess? I can manually edit each item, but if I re-run a filename convert it will change them back. There's also a problem with albums that have unlisted tracks or skits like rap albums used to having all the songs misnamed.

kmurph
Oct 11, 2001
Not familiar with MP3Tag (use Tag & Rename myself), but T&R will remove any forward slashes ,"/", in a filename when you use the rename function, i.e. 2Pac/Outlawz in the artist tag becomes 2PacOutlawz as the filename when renamed.

What you could do is use "2Pac / Outlawz" in the tag which then would become "2Pac Outlawz" in the filename. Not ideal, but Windows won't allow a "/" to be used in a filename.

kmurph fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 25, 2014

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Bigass Moth posted:

I have a question about mp3tag - I've been using it for a few years and not sure if there's a better option out there.

The Tupac stuff is just a good example, and it's all ripped from the actual CDs - is there any way to change the artist's info so it's not such a mess? I can manually edit each item, but if I re-run a filename convert it will change them back. There's also a problem with albums that have unlisted tracks or skits like rap albums used to having all the songs misnamed.

For albums with multiple artists, I typically name the files %track% - %artist% - %song% to eliminate sorting issues.

As for special characters getting dropped, I've never really addressed that, myself, since I rarely browse the folders where the songs are located.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Bigass Moth posted:

It depends, if you specifically want all the files to have the names of both artists but not look like crap you could do a find and replace on the artist tag to get rid of special characters with spaces/non special characters and then run the tag to filename option again.
If you want to keep the special characters in the artist you could do a find replace on the actual filename section and add spacers. (ex. find '2Pac' replace '2Pac ', only select the ones that need it)

Personally I'm minimalist in my organization:
Music
-Artist
-Album (dated)
-MP3s, track number and title only

Like so-

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Not that familiar with foobar specifically, but isn't that what the AlbumArtist tag is made for? It's a 2pac album; don't need all that crap in the filename.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
You could try, instead, to use "2Pac" as the album artist tag, then set the track artist tags to the full track credits.

e:f;b

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Bigass Moth posted:

By default mp3tag sorts by %artist% - %album% - $num(%track%,2) - %title% You need to change %artist% to %albumartist%.

Even then, I wouldn't use the file name to sort files in windows. There's too many gotchas that can screw it up without you realizing, like not using zeros in front of single digits or if you accidentally put a space after a name. Personally I sort using the metadata.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
I'm having trouble with a podcast that contains a lot of... clipping? Idk, that sound you get when someone speaks too loudly into a mic, and it starts to crackle and pop. What do I have to do to remove it? I've got Audacity, but I don't know what effect to choose. Basically something that removes the high frequency componenet of the crackle.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

kode54 posted:

I actually really dig this. I use iSub exclusively to listen to music on my phone. I'm not a fan of iTunes at all, and it'd be great to be able to stay in the foobar ecosystem with my music, on mobile as well as desktop. I think I'm gonna donate as a follower.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I might donate $5, but $25 for the tier including the app seems steep. If the app were in the $5 or even a new $10 I'd jump on it. Guess it depends on what features are in it I suppose.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I might donate $5, but $25 for the tier including the app seems steep. If the app were in the $5 or even a new $10 I'd jump on it. Guess it depends on what features are in it I suppose.

The way I think about it, you aren't paying $25 for the apps; you're investing $25 towards the development of the apps. It takes some serious man-hours to do proper development. Plus, I've been using foobar for well over a decade. I figure it's nice to give back to the devs after all they've given us.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I'm still in love with my theme that I put together earlier in the thread. However, I'd like an alternative which doesn't demand to be fullscreen. In there any mechanism for changing the layout of Foobar when it's not maximized. I know that some versions of Windows Media Player and Winamp let you switch to a minimal mode. I'd like to do the same in Foobar - can I?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
There are some themes that do that using ColumnsUI, but I don't know how. You could find one on DeviantArt and ask the creator.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Does anyone know of a good Foobar skin that has larger than normal buttons? My GF would like to use Foobar to listen to audiobooks on her Windows 8 tablet, but the buttons are crazy small by default so she keeps accidentally stopping tracks instead of pausing.

Edit - I tried right click icons -> customize -> import custom sized ICO, but the menu bar stays the same size even with larger than 16x16 icons imported.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 13, 2014

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

jeeves posted:

Does anyone know of a good Foobar skin that has larger than normal buttons? My GF would like to use Foobar to listen to audiobooks on her Windows 8 tablet, but the buttons are crazy small by default so she keeps accidentally stopping tracks instead of pausing.

Edit - I tried right click icons -> customize -> import custom sized ICO, but the menu bar stays the same size even with larger than 16x16 icons imported.
You could throw separators around them?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

You could throw separators around them?

That's a good idea for a quick fix. Thanks.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

Read posted:

"$100,000 main goal"

I wish they were going to make it open sores - it would be real baller to have a cross platform audio player that you could fork yourself and write stuff for

a goon can dream~~~

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

I just build a new computer and I tried to get my foobar setup the way I had it on my previous setup.
The one thing I can't seem to figure out how to get back is getting the album/track listing on the right to reflect the selected item in the folder structure on the left. I know I had that set up on my previous computer but I just can't seem to figure out how I did it.

Click image for large:

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

DevCore posted:

I just build a new computer and I tried to get my foobar setup the way I had it on my previous setup.
The one thing I can't seem to figure out how to get back is getting the album/track listing on the right to reflect the selected item in the folder structure on the left. I know I had that set up on my previous computer but I just can't seem to figure out how I did it.

Click image for large:

I think you are looking for the option in the Playback section on the Configure menu.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
I don't know if anyone else here noticed but Foobar Mobile Fundraiser somehow reached its goal. Looks like Illustrate (makers of dbpoweramp) is matching all donations. They've met the Android and Windows Mobile stretch goals too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Phuzun posted:

I think you are looking for the option in the Playback section on the Configure menu.

Found it on a old Foobar2k setup tutorial.
"Also, if you’d like to always have available a playlist which shows your whole library check the box marked “library viewer selection playlist enabled”. Click apply, Ok. This can take a long time first time if you have a large library."
Awesome, feels good to have it back to the way I had it.

• Locked thread