Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

GD_American posted:

https://twitter.com/sweatystartup/status/1773025879259480297

I admire the beautiful touch of using caffeine free coke

An old can too. Isn't current branding red background and gold lettering for caffeine free?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

stratego posted:

It's a release that r/bourbon's t8ke worked on with Barrell Craft Spirits.

https://sharedpour.com/products/barrell-t8ke-grey-label-infinite

Out of curiosity the other stuff on that site seems awesome (aficionado group) mezcal bottles, are those worthwhile?

stratego
May 6, 2007

adnam posted:

Out of curiosity the other stuff on that site seems awesome (aficionado group) mezcal bottles, are those worthwhile?

T8ke (Jay, from whisky raiders), also runs the aficionados group for tequila/mezcal releases. Bring from Wisconsin his first love is brandy, but he also loves agave spirits. He partners with shared pour to sell/distribute stuff. You should check out his YouTube channel.
And check out the aficionados group site - he will alert you about upcoming releases, if you're inclined.
Aficionados group website

He's a tremendous guy, responds to emails creepily fast.
I haven't tried many of those releases, but I trust his pallet and tasting notes.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I've met him at a couple local events and he's a great guy. We also have similar tastes in bourbon so his picks have been great for me.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

stratego posted:

T8ke (Jay, from whisky raiders), also runs the aficionados group for tequila/mezcal releases. Bring from Wisconsin his first love is brandy, but he also loves agave spirits. He partners with shared pour to sell/distribute stuff. You should check out his YouTube channel.
And check out the aficionados group site - he will alert you about upcoming releases, if you're inclined.
Aficionados group website

He's a tremendous guy, responds to emails creepily fast.
I haven't tried many of those releases, but I trust his pallet and tasting notes.

Thank you! I’ve only got lovely chain stores with terrible prices and selection so I’m thinking about buying more online so this helps a lot.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
A friend gave me a bottle of Oban - Distiller's Edition for my birthday and it's really excellent, well balanced and interesting. It's the first time I've read the tasting notes/description and agreed with everything they said and tasted everything they called out.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Oban is great. Nicely balanced between the salty spray coastal note and the fruity orange marmalade notes. Normally I don't bother with the Diageo annual special releases (those are separate from the distiller's editions) because they're ridiculously expensive for what they are but I managed to snag a 2021 special edition for a good decent price, and it's wonderful.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Friend's dad decided to open a bottle of Royal Salute 21 year...and I couldn't get any tasting notes at all out of it. Smooth to the point of boring.

What's this supposed to be? What is it even blended from?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Thats the point of those type of blends. To be "smooth" and inoffensive. Blue Label is the same.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

spankmeister posted:

Thats the point of those type of blends. To be "smooth" and inoffensive. Blue Label is the same.

That’s got to be the point…expensive Scotch for people that don’t really like Scotch but don’t want to be thought of as “unmasculine.”

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

DerekSmartymans posted:

That’s got to be the point…expensive Scotch for people that don’t really like Scotch but don’t want to be thought of as “unmasculine.”

Well aged blended whiskies are a different beast than single malts, and the popularity of single malts as a category is about forty years old, due to overproduction in the industry post WWII— before the "whiskey loch" oversupply of the 70's, blended Scotch was considered the finer product, as it had depth and complexity from using whiskey from multiple distilleries. Single Malt as a distinct product was a reaction to the oversupply, and successfully rebranded the category.

As for whether one is more "masculine" than the other; the gently caress out of here. The best tasters in whisk(e)y I know are women.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Also, the spirit you drink for performative masculinity is clearly Jack Daniels. Scotch is expensive snob juice from Yerp.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

sean10mm posted:

Also, the spirit you drink for performative masculinity is clearly Jack Daniels. Scotch is expensive snob juice from Yerp.

Ah, but performative masculinity exists at all class levels. Gotta serve every segment of the market.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

People like what they like and that's fine. If you like a super premium high end blend, more power to you.

Invariably though when I see people drinking those types of blends, it's either someone who doesn't drink scotch all that often, and isn't super informed and they want to treat themselves, or it's a person who doesn't know the first thing about quality spirits, and is just being pretentious.

I can count the number of people I've met that both know about whisky and are not utterly disappointed by the likes of Blue Label on one hand.

I do want to stress that blended scotch is not by definition inferior to single malt. There are some excellent blends out there. Compass Box makes some fantastic stuff. More recently companies like Turntable and Thompson Brothers came on the scene and their blends are excellent as well.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

bloody ghost titty posted:

As for whether one is more "masculine" than the other; the gently caress out of here. The best tasters in whisk(e)y I know are women.

I wasn’t saying I agreed, hence the quotation marks. Some (especially younger) guys have it in their head that the only acceptable thing to drink is bourbon or Scotch, even though if they were honest they hate it. I think that’s silly.

Agreed on the whiskey tasters, too…my son drinks fruity drinks with umbrellas while his half-pint girlfriend drinks Scotch with me. Life’s too short not to drink what you really enjoy!

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

DerekSmartymans posted:

I wasn’t saying I agreed, hence the quotation marks. Some (especially younger) guys have it in their head that the only acceptable thing to drink is bourbon or Scotch, even though if they were honest they hate it. I think that’s silly.

Agreed on the whiskey tasters, too…my son drinks fruity drinks with umbrellas while his half-pint girlfriend drinks Scotch with me. Life’s too short not to drink what you really enjoy!

& I walked back some choice invectives related to bud light and lifted trucks because I thought better of assuming a SA poster of 20 years was gonna up and show their rear end about single malts.

Man, also I love me some umbrella drinks. Reminds me I gotta write a quick how-to on that before boating season really kicks up. Problem is whiskey wasn't a big player in that milieu; outside of a monkey gland, I really can't think of much.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

spankmeister posted:

People like what they like and that's fine. If you like a super premium high end blend, more power to you.

Invariably though when I see people drinking those types of blends, it's either someone who doesn't drink scotch all that often, and isn't super informed and they want to treat themselves, or it's a person who doesn't know the first thing about quality spirits, and is just being pretentious.

I can count the number of people I've met that both know about whisky and are not utterly disappointed by the likes of Blue Label on one hand.

I do want to stress that blended scotch is not by definition inferior to single malt. There are some excellent blends out there. Compass Box makes some fantastic stuff. More recently companies like Turntable and Thompson Brothers came on the scene and their blends are excellent as well.

I was deployed overseas a few years back and the O-Club had Blue Label for $20/pour so I figured why the hell not. I had had enough Scotch experience and Johnnie experience to know to expect all the character to be blended out. So it wasn't disappointing. I'm genuinely glad I had the opportunity to try it. It wasn't bad at all but it's almost paradoxical to have something both flawless and uninteresting. It's like a generative AI image of a beautiful blonde woman. You can't pick anything at all wrong with it but by the exact same token you can't describe anything compelling because it's so perfect at having no unique identity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

bloody ghost titty posted:

& I walked back some choice invectives related to bud light and lifted trucks because I thought better of assuming a SA poster of 20 years was gonna up and show their rear end about single malts.

Man, also I love me some umbrella drinks. Reminds me I gotta write a quick how-to on that before boating season really kicks up. Problem is whiskey wasn't a big player in that milieu; outside of a monkey gland, I really can't think of much.

it doesn't typically get an umbrella, but you could certainly add one to the classic Caribbean combo of Scotch + coconut water, rocks. i was really surprised how good it was when i tried it a summer or two ago. use really great coconut water (Harmless Harvest is the best I found) and not-so-great smoky blended Scotch for the best effect.