Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

I've been working at a family run pizzeria for the past 4 (good god I need a new job) years, and I shamelessly stole the recipe for their dough for my own use at home :yarr:. Short of giving you that recipe, which probably won't happen, I can give you a few tips on making the pizza: (This is all just crap I've learned through working at a pizzeria, and my own personal experimentation. I'm not an expert at all forms of pizza, and I'm sure other people get good results with other methods. This is just how I do it.)

Don't get confused with what gives pizza dough its flavor. Honey and sugars give you a little flavor, but what they're mainly for is increasing yeast productivity, and yeast will "eat" most of it. Salt is where the taste comes from, so if your dough has little to no flavor to it when it's done, you probably don't have enough salt in it. The place I work at is famous in the area for having the best crust, and we get complimented on it every time someone tries it. All it has in it is salt, yeast, water, flour, and oil, and that's all you really need.

When your dough is ready to be pounded out into a pie, before you do anything with flattening it, shape the outside of it so that the entire thing is round. It's incredibly difficult, nigh impossible, to get the dough to be round if the dough ball it started out as was square, heart shaped, what have you. The way I do that is to shape it, generally using the palms of my hands to press in the sides, and using the bottom of my right hand to force the bottom edge of it to be round. There are other ways, but it has to be done before you go any farther.

Grab a rolling pin, and just roll it out while turning it 90 degrees between rolls. It will look oblong at times, but it will keep evening out as long as you're giving it even pressure on every roll. Do this until it's a little bit thicker than what you want it to be, then run the edge through your hands, stretching it slightly and evenly across the entire thing. The idea is you're increasing the circumference of the dough, and the inside will stretch evenly to flatten out the edge.

Something I wouldn't have thought of before I saw my boss do it, but rice flour is amazing to use for keeping the dough from sticking to your peel. Take a generous pinch, maybe a tablespoon or two, depending on how big it is, and spread it on the peel, then lay the dough on top of it before you put toppings on. Use more if you want to be sure. Rice flour's great for it because it's super easy to clean up, rather than using other flour, and more importantly you won't have that dry grit of flour on the bottom of the pizza to deal with.

Don't pile toppings in the center, try to put them in a ring around the center. Cheese will melt and flow into it, and remember that the center is where the highest concentration of cuts will be made. A lot of toppings in the center will just turn into a mess if you're not careful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Doghouse posted:

I've been loving the pizza stone since reading this thread, but how do I clean it without a self cleaning oven? Apologies if it's been discussed, I've read the whole thread but can't remember.

Scape it with a metal scraper and brush it with a metal brush. Dark stains give it character and tell a story :colbert: