Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theuser
Jan 27, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Nothing to see here, folks. Move along.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
So Dovetail was amazing. Incredible food and great wines and beers. They also had an ice cider that was just amazing. Unfortunately my phone was dying so I only got 3 pictures of the food.

Turnip Ceviche with Habanero puree

Ricotta Gnudi with Asparagus and brown butter

Confit Halibut with Crawfish tails, fava beans, and crawfish foam

I didn't go anywhere on Thursday except to Desi Shack to eat with a friend. That place was really good too.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.
I'm looking for a recommendation for a really nice lunch for 3.

Suggestion Request
Dinner style: Lunch, any cuisine
Location: Manhattan, preferably near 5th avenue, but anything within a short walk/cab/subway ride is fine
Willing to spend: $50-$100 per person
Restrictions: None, really.

sink the biz
Jun 13, 2002

My goodness my Guinness

Cuddlebottom posted:

Suggestion Request
Location: Manhattan, preferably near 5th avenue, but anything within a short walk/cab/subway ride is fine

Lots of fine dining restaurants have really great lunch deals during the weekdays. Eleven Madison Park, Ai Fiori and Gotham Bar & Grill immediately come to mind.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Marea has a great lunch.

reserve
Jul 27, 2009

You are part of a long tradition
of needless self-sacrifice so that
dickbags can eat overpriced foie gras.

Cuddlebottom posted:

Suggestion Request

At four courses for $49, I think Del Posto's lunch is really stellar. Big portions, too. And a great cocktail list, if you're going boozy.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

sink the biz posted:

Lots of fine dining restaurants have really great lunch deals during the weekdays. Eleven Madison Park, Ai Fiori and Gotham Bar & Grill immediately come to mind.

Halalelujah posted:

Marea has a great lunch.

reserve posted:

At four courses for $49, I think Del Posto's lunch is really stellar. Big portions, too. And a great cocktail list, if you're going boozy.
Excellent, I'll start scoping these out. Thank you!

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

reserve posted:

I love Del Posto. Their $29 (now $35 I believe) two course lunch is stellar. On that note, add Jean Georges to your list.

Mega Boris
Feb 21, 2001

Better luck next time, slugheads!
Went to Eleven Madison Park last week (and proposed to my girlfriend of 3 years). The dinner was phenomenal and the service was amazing.

The couple next to us was enjoying their 28th anniversary, the couple next to them their 6th.

Clearly a special place, but well worth it...

Save up for this special dinner!

An Alright Guy
Nov 11, 2007

The playoffs work the same way
Per Se a couple of nights ago was underwhelming. #6 restaurant in the world? I don't even rank it in the top 6 in NYC anymore.

Service was outstanding though-

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

An Alright Guy posted:

Per Se a couple of nights ago was underwhelming. #6 restaurant in the world? I don't even rank it in the top 6 in NYC anymore.

Service was outstanding though-
What would you rank top 6 NYC?

An Alright Guy
Nov 11, 2007

No Wave posted:

What would you rank top 6 NYC?

ok you got me, per se is in the top six but i was just feeling a bit burned from spending so much money and having literally a piece of cold lobster and some questionable wine choices-

dollar for dollar though, its tough to put it so high as #6 in the world- maybe i am just feeling let down because the last meal i had at per se was so mindblowing.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Yeah, spending 1K+ there can be a lot to swallow. Still the best meal I have ever had.

I get the dollar for dollar thing, but I am curious about the wine? How did you do it? I am a bit shocked you were disappointed by the selection.

reserve
Jul 27, 2009

An Alright Guy posted:

...but i was just feeling a bit burned from spending so much money...

And then when you left you were like, oh my god, I am in a mall. A MALL.

An Alright Guy
Nov 11, 2007

Allow me to rephrase my post on Per Se

The last time I was there, it was on a supplier's budget. He spent 6k on 4 people and we drank like kings and ate the long rear end meal for hours and had a grand old time.

This last time I was on a personal budget, was drinking 50 dollar wines by the glass, the place was empty, and the food was nowhere near what I came to expect the first time I went.

After a couple of days, I can admit I was trying to have a repeat experience without the budget to do so and it left me stinging. Dropping half a month's rent on a dinner isn't easy either-

So there I am butthurt.

As far as the wines, nothing wrong with them. Just felt uninspired. Though 2002 Bollinger Grand Anne and caviar is a pretty killer combo-

_aaron
Jul 24, 2007
The underscore is silent.
Suggestion Request
Dinner style: Anything, really. Something good for a group of 4.
Willing to spend: Looking for a couple different ranges. We'll do a few fairly nice meals, so for those, ~$60-70/plate (including a drink or 2). We're also looking for some cheaper options, as we can't really afford to eat like that 2-3 meals a day for 3 days.
Restictions: Nothing that serves only seafood. If they're mainly a seafood restaurant that also has some steak or chicken (or whatever) on the menu, that's fine. Otherwise, we're open to try just about anything.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

_aaron posted:

Suggestion Request
Dinner style: Anything, really. Something good for a group of 4.
Willing to spend: Looking for a couple different ranges. We'll do a few fairly nice meals, so for those, ~$60-70/plate (including a drink or 2). We're also looking for some cheaper options, as we can't really afford to eat like that 2-3 meals a day for 3 days.
Restictions: Nothing that serves only seafood. If they're mainly a seafood restaurant that also has some steak or chicken (or whatever) on the menu, that's fine. Otherwise, we're open to try just about anything.

The Breslin and John Dory aren't too far from there. Neither is Danji, Sushi Yasuda, Eleven Madison Park(go for lunch to be just above your price range). Times Square itself is kind of a restaurant graveyard. Mostly chains. You'll have to go elsewhere if you want something special.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Go to the breslin. Jon Dory is better but it is all seafood.

Get the Pig's foot. For real. You will never, ever forget eating it (mostly due to the psychotic hallucinations that come around bedtime)

edit: Time's square? Most fine dining in the city is a half hour tops away. Go to Osteria Morini if you can, but I would still put the breslin first.

I loving love April Bloomfield.

_aaron
Jul 24, 2007
The Breslin and Danji both look great.

Any thoughts on any all-you-can-drink brunch places? Aspen Social Club has a brunch with unlimited bloody marys and mimosas, but reviews are fairly middling. It sounds like a fun way to start a day, but not if the food is poo poo.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Got a pair of tickets to the Googa Mooga Festival from a person for some reason and it turns out the tickets are the extra mooga tickets, which I guess is basically unlimited food and booze and access to special events? Is anyone else doing this? All I know is that I get to witness April Bloomfield butcher a pig and teach me about it.

Soooo pumped.

sink the biz
Jun 13, 2002

My goodness my Guinness

_aaron posted:

The Breslin and Danji both look great.

Any thoughts on any all-you-can-drink brunch places? Aspen Social Club has a brunch with unlimited bloody marys and mimosas, but reviews are fairly middling. It sounds like a fun way to start a day, but not if the food is poo poo.

AYCD brunch and good food are mutually exclusive in NYC. +1 on Danji and Breslin. If you want to get a bit more adventurous around the Times Square area, Yakitori Totto is fantastic, as is Ma Peche, and The Bar Room at the Modern. I also love Ipanema on 46th St for Brazilian peasant food, like bacalao fritters, fejoida and moqueca.

For cheaper options, Totto Ramen is great (although the lines can be ridiculous). Tabata Ramen makes a decent alternative to Totto ramen though. Sake bar hagi is fun (be sure to get the tuna collar), and Pure Thai Shophouse is amazing (all the other Thai joints on 8th & 9th are shite). And if you want super cheap, check out Margon for cubanos and their chicken soup or Tehuitzingo, a tiny little Mexican grocery store on 10th ave with a taco stall in the back, or Biryani cart on 6th ave for their kati rolls.

(full disclosure - I write for both websites so this is a semi-shill)

You can also check out midtownlunch.com for ideas - the whole bent of the website is to sniff out interesting and cheap food in midtown. http://realcheapeats.com/nyc/ is also a great resource for cheap eats ideas as well.

Wolf Blanket
Feb 16, 2012
Review

Name: Rasha Nasha

Price Range:$15 - $150

Dish you recommend:Veal Chop and the Pelmeni Siberian

Comments: Awesome Russian place were the atmosphere is lively and hip. Rasha Nasha has well over 1200+ counting of vodkas to choose from.I had there house made lime flavoured vodka and it went down smooth and tasted just like a lime Skittle.The music of traditional Russian songs played made it a real treat to eat and hang out. I honestly can say it was worth the $150 for supper for two. The owner of the place opened it up about 6 months ago and he is a cool guy.

http://www.nasharashanyc.com/index1.html

Here is a photo of the fun of being here.
http://imgur.com/pTn7B

reserve
Jul 27, 2009

Halalelujah posted:

Got a pair of tickets to the Googa Mooga Festival from a person for some reason and it turns out the tickets are the extra mooga tickets, which I guess is basically unlimited food and booze and access to special events? Is anyone else doing this? All I know is that I get to witness April Bloomfield butcher a pig and teach me about it.

Soooo pumped.

Did you go to her thing at The Brooklyn Kitchen?

_aaron
Jul 24, 2007
We took your recommendations and ate at Danji last night. It was amazing. The bulgogi sliders and chorizo paella were the standouts, but it was all really good. I think we're doing planning on hitting the Breslin tomorrow.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.
I took the recommendation for Ai Fiori. Plans changed, so we ended up going for dinner and getting the tasting with wine pairings. The whole thing was fantastic. Thanks goons :)

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Halalelujah posted:

Doing a crosspost, but does anyone have any great chinese or korean recs for Flushing? Heading up there today, want to come back fat.

I was pleased with the hot pot at Tian San Yun Juan Shao Fei Yun (note: they will hate you if you don't speak Chinese or have someone in your group who does, but they will still serve you -- It's like that soup shop next to Vanessa's in Manhattan Chinatown). I'm sure there are better ones, I'm particularly interested in the Tibetan Hot Pot near the park. Try that one and report back. Also, Sik Gaek Chun Ha is the absolute poo poo. Amazing. There is an (overpriced) bar next door with a helpful staff that can also recommend a few bangin' Korean places nearby. It is out of the way (you'll either have to bus it from downtown Flushing or take the LIRR) but totally worth it.

Shbobdb fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 23, 2012

reserve
Jul 27, 2009

Shbobdb posted:

I was pleased with the hot pot at Tian San Yun Juan Shao Fei Yun (note: they will hate you if you don't speak Chinese or have someone in your group who does, but they will still serve you -- It's like that soup shop next to Vanessa's in Manhattan Chinatown). I'm sure there are better ones, I'm particularly interested in the Tibetan Hot Pot near the park. Try that one and report back. Also, Sik Gaek Chun Ha is the absolute poo poo. Amazing. There is an (overpriced) bar next door with a helpful staff that can also recommend a few bangin' Korean places nearby. It is out of the way (you'll either have to bus it from downtown Flushing or take the LIRR) but totally worth it.

I hated Sik Gaek; I thought it was cheesy, loud, and overpriced. As pure novelty, I really felt it wasn't worth it. There's much better Korean food out there.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
My friend left his manager spot at Tamarind to be a captain at NoMad. $84 chickens can't be made fast enough.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Turkeybone posted:

My friend left his manager spot at Tamarind to be a captain at NoMad. $84 chickens can't be made fast enough.
oh no they cannot. The drink carts are flying out and they are doing crazy money into the summer.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

reserve posted:

I hated Sik Gaek; I thought it was cheesy, loud, and overpriced. As pure novelty, I really felt it wasn't worth it. There's much better Korean food out there.

Where? Hook me up!

reserve
Jul 27, 2009

Shbobdb posted:

Where? Hook me up!

Joo Mak Gol
3526 Farrington Street
Flushing, Queens

Get the ssam bab. Everything is in Korean, but they're really nice.

sink the biz
Jun 13, 2002

My goodness my Guinness

reserve posted:

Joo Mak Gol
3526 Farrington Street
Flushing, Queens

Get the ssam bab. Everything is in Korean, but they're really nice.

Seconding Joo Mak Gol - LOVE their homemade dwenjang. Also gotta try Geo Sigi for gamjatang, Mapo BBQ for galbi, Geum Sung for naengmyeon and Tong for samgyeopsal. I recently went to Sura Chung and had some awesome dak galbi and hoonjae ori gui (grilled/smoked duck)

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

I've been spending a lot of time in Sunset Park lately and there's some absolutely amazing food out there. I'm really starting to love that neighborhood. My two favorites so far are definitely:

Ba Xuyen, probably the best Banh Mi I've ever had. Also, their Sardine Bahn Mi was actually kind of better than their pork/chicken offerings in a way.

and the cold noodles at Yun Nan Flavor Snack were mindblowing. They were sweet and spicy and savory and cold and refreshing all at the same time. And it's literally one of the smallest restaurants I've ever been to.

Neither of these things were more than $5. NYC owns! I also had Cambodian food from Cambodian Cuisine Torsu today and was really impressed. The Cambodian iced tea was incredibly refreshing on this hot, hot day and their food was just sumptuous! I had this coconut milk, vermicelli, chicken and spices dish that was lovely.

reserve
Jul 27, 2009

I went to Mission Chinese last week and had my face melted off.

I would heartily recommend the lamb cheek dumplings, the salt cod fried rice, the mapo tofu, and the stir fried sweet peas. The most expensive entree is $13, which puts this place firmly in the Affordable Dining category. When we went they sent us SO MUCH free poo poo that we ended up having to put some plates on the banquette.

All and all, a super solid experience, and Danny Bowien is a cool dude. Here is a lovely instagram photo as proof:

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
I want to get on that like a pregnant lady on a yoga ball.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Vegetable Melange posted:

I want to get on that like a pregnant lady on a yoga ball.

I wanna get on that like I wanna get on a pregnant lady on a yoga ball.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

So my birthday is coming up in about a week and I need a place for a large-ish group to eat at.

I really wanted to do the spotted pig because it is one of my favorite places in the city and won't break anyone's bank, but it looks like they won't seat parties larger than 6 and we will be 10 or so.

Any suggestions for a similar place that I can seat a small crowd at? Only issue is that the number of the people in the party will probably change as the event comes closer.

reserve
Jul 27, 2009

Allswell might suit your needs; and they have that long, family table down the center of the dining room where they seat large groups.

The chef is former Spotted Pig CDC Nate Smith.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

reserve posted:

Allswell might suit your needs; and they have that long, family table down the center of the dining room where they seat large groups.

The chef is former Spotted Pig CDC Nate Smith.

Needs to be in Manhattan, should have specified. The second I say Brooklyn the whining begins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

Halalelujah posted:

So my birthday is coming up in about a week and I need a place for a large-ish group to eat at.

I really wanted to do the spotted pig because it is one of my favorite places in the city and won't break anyone's bank, but it looks like they won't seat parties larger than 6 and we will be 10 or so.

Any suggestions for a similar place that I can seat a small crowd at? Only issue is that the number of the people in the party will probably change as the event comes closer.

I've eaten at Rubirosa with a group of about 10 and we really enjoyed it. They do family style portions of appetizers + pizza + entrees for maybe $30pp not including beverages. Rubirosa is an underrated pizza / pasta place.

• Locked thread