Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Massive
Apr 8, 2004

KidDynamite posted:

Guys please remember to try to keep everything clean and within the parameters. bartolimu doesn't want this to be a chat thread and I don't want to see this closed.

Dunno, the whole reason why I visited / contributed to the previous thread was because it was a nice mix of reviews and banter. Why write about food when you can't talk about it? That's most of the fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Massive
Apr 8, 2004
Heading to Kajitsu on Sat for an anniversary dinner. Super excited. I ate Kyo-ya last night for the first time. Holy crap that place is great, but drat pricey.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

avan posted:

Best NYC STYLE PIZZA place
Rubirosa, Artichoke, Keste

Best food in CHINA TOWN
Shanghai Cafe is a good rec for dumplings.

Best "SECRET" Restaurant
Bohemian, Kajitsu - both hard to get into, but pretty "secret"

Best CHEAP food place
Can't go wrong with Mamoun's falafel

Best ITALIAN FOOD Place
Again, gently caress Little Italy. If you can book a lunch at Del Posto, you will not regret.

Best BREAKFAST FOOD place
If you want a neat NYC experience, eat at the greasy spoon diner "Stage" in the east village. Otherwise, grab brunch at Zoe. Get the pancakes.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

reserve posted:

Every Sunday morning on 14th Street between 8th and 9th avenues, in front of the Spanish language church, there are these abuelitas (usually accompanied by a son or brother who speaks English) who serve up delicious Mexican food off of makeshift griddles, and tiny cobbled together food carts. The number of ladies depends on the weather. At 23 degrees last Sunday there were two warrior women still outside, heating up tortas on the griddle, and forming tortillas by hand.

This is, without a doubt, the best Mexican food I have had in New York City. Forget the Red Hook vendors, forget your local taco truck, and forget Fonda.

I can vouch for the tamales (which go very quickly, so get there early), the chile rellenos, which you should get with the works, and the tostadas. The set-ups might look a little ganky, but trust me, that's part of what makes this food so good.

SOLD.

I just returned from Mexico and loved all the street carts there... Thanks for the tip.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

reserve posted:

Anyone going to Village Voice: Choice Eats tonight? I'm working the event.

Y'know, I went a couple years ago and wasn't that impressed–it was administered very poorly; lots of people not getting food they wanted from the few places that were serving the best food. The variety was nice, though - just ravenous people pushing people aside to get what they wanted...

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

a drink or two posted:

Tell me about Mexican food in NYC! I live in London and we have burritos and stuff and increasingly other Mexican stuff too but I haven't eaten anything regional/much beyond tacos. I'll be in NYC the next two weeks, where can I eat good/authentic/interesting Mexican food? Finding a lot of tacos and trucks and taquerias but is there anything more?

Also interested in other Latin/South American food!

Great Mexican:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/zaragoza-new-york
http://www.yelp.com/biz/guelaguetza-new-york
http://www.yelp.com/biz/tortilleria-mexicana-los-hermanos-brooklyn

Great Venezuelan, must go:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/caracas-arepa-bar-new-york

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

reserve posted:

At four courses for $49, I think Del Posto's lunch is really stellar. Big portions, too. And a great cocktail list, if you're going boozy.

I love Del Posto. Their $29 (now $35 I believe) two course lunch is stellar. On that note, add Jean Georges to your list.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

Halalelujah posted:

So my birthday is coming up in about a week and I need a place for a large-ish group to eat at.

I really wanted to do the spotted pig because it is one of my favorite places in the city and won't break anyone's bank, but it looks like they won't seat parties larger than 6 and we will be 10 or so.

Any suggestions for a similar place that I can seat a small crowd at? Only issue is that the number of the people in the party will probably change as the event comes closer.

I've eaten at Rubirosa with a group of about 10 and we really enjoyed it. They do family style portions of appetizers + pizza + entrees for maybe $30pp not including beverages. Rubirosa is an underrated pizza / pasta place.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004
I went to the NoMaD last Friday, was delicious. Highlights: The 62 degree egg, and Milk & Honey dessert. The chicken was a bit of a disappointment, though.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004
I think Le Bernardin feels stuffier – EMP is more elegant.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004
A general map location would be great. Were you in the East Village? Times Square?

Edit: Also, did you take any photos with your phones there? If so, did you know that they're usually geotagged?

Massive
Apr 8, 2004
I really hate seeing this thread fall by the wayside!

I've gone to Zabb Elee a couple times in the past week and I must say it's my favorite Thai in the city. Authentic Isan flavors.

I've been hearing a lot of press talk about El Toro Blanco... Has anybody been?

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Another place that's impossible to get a table at.

What's a good place downtown to bring a date to? I'm stuck between Locanda Verde and Jungsik but they're both too expensive/hoighty-toighty and I just want a good, simple place with very good food. Also, a nice ambience wouldn't kill.

Also, if there's a place that has experienced diminished business/tips because of Sandy, I would prefer to give them my money.

Jungsik is $$$$ whereas Locanda is $$$. I love Locanda – i've been there a few times and have enjoyed each meal I've had.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

reserve posted:

Katz's is so expensive. Pastrami on rye with mustard will run you $18 after taxes.

I would consider going to Mile End, or Russ and Daughters if you're going the kosher-style route.

I was suuuuuuuuuper disappointed with Mile End (in Manhattan) - very expensive, almost as expensive as Katz's, with pastrami that wasn't nearly as juicy/tasty as Katz's.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

polpotpotpotpotpot posted:

Suggestion Request
Dinner style: Nice dinner for two (nice doesn't mean formal, but doesn't preclude it either), looking for to-die-for food or experience
Willing to spend: Anything, more worried about 'can I reserve a table' on opentable because I am a goonygoon
Restictions: Low-carb friendly, i.e. basically none

I've really wanted to go to Eleven Madison Park for a while but always fail to make a reservation exactly 28 days out, or whatever. So, looking for an equivalently nice experience that's maybe not so much :effort: to reserve.

Thanks!

You could also check out The Nomad.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

KWC posted:

Suggestion Request
Meals: Saturday Dinner, Sunday brunch, Sunday Dinner for two people
Location: We'll be staying in Chelsea (w28th and 6th ave) but wherever
Willing to spend: up to $150 per person for dinners
Restrictions: not seafood centered menu

Spur of the moment trip to NYC this weekend. Planning on The Spotted Pig for dinner either night or brunch, but without reservations I am concerned with it being a super pain in the rear end. What times are our best shot to get seated within an hour?

Looking to avoid a place that requires a jacket. We love tasting menus but my wife has a seafood aversion and is currently pregnant so avoiding raw stuff even more than usual. We've always been able to call ahead and ask if they can substitute for any seafood courses and have always been accommodated, but with so little notice I don't want to be "that guy" in the restaurant making special last minute requests.

We would love to try a small plate/tapas style menu because that is one of the few things lacking at home.

Lastly, regardless of pregnant wife, I want to go to an awesome cocktail bar (and I think at least one of the regular posters in this thread is a bartender at just such an establishment ...)

Please share your recommendations!

For food, Danji sounds right up your alley. Korean small plates. For cocktails, I always recommend Little Branch.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

reserve posted:

Obviously Balthazar or Prune.

I really enjoy Zoe in the LES. Low-key, cozy, elegant, and delicious.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004
A week or so ago I had the omakase at 15 East and it was absolutely delicious. Sit at the bar if you're gonna try it!

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

Modus Trollens posted:

Balthazar remains my favorite brunch in NYC: http://balthazarny.com/menus/brunch.pdf

Pastis is good too: http://www.pastisny.com/menus/brunch.pdf

(I go to McNally restaurants far too often)

You can also check out Norma's and Clinton St. Baking Co.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004
Went to Wylie Dufresne's new joint Alder and was disappointed. The food feels like it's trying too hard and I left unsatisfied. 2/5 rating from me.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

sink the biz posted:

Ma Peche or the Bar Room at the Modern are both awesome, and walking distance.

Loved my dinner at Ma Peche and I generally don't like Momofuku restaurants.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

Shadowhand00 posted:

I always feel like Momofuku and its ilk are essentially restaurants that server Asian (mostly Korean/Japanese in his case) to people who've never had Asian food. Ssam is the worst offender with the Bo Ssam being way too expensive when you can go to any Koreatown and get the same thing for a quarter of the price.

Yep. I commend Chang & Co for trying to push the envelope but sometimes it's just highway robbery. The worst offender by far is Momofuku Noodle Bar, I feel that place has a Reality Distortion Field™ because I've never been so consistently disappointed by food from a restaurant (I've been there 4-5 times) yet it constantly has lines out the door.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

Ditto. I'm surprised the changheads aren't flaming you all for having this opinion like they did toward me earlier in this thread.

Hmm, didn't see that.

quote:

In other news. Gonna omakase at yasuda tomorrow. I am excite.

Sounds delicious. I've always wanted to try omakase there – didn't Yasuda leave? In related news, I had omakase at 15 East and I was in heaven. Some of the best sushi I've had in Manhattan.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004
Quick, list off your Brooklyn must-eats:

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

Halalelujah posted:

I'm a gigantic fan of Colonie on Atlantic Ave, Brooklyn Star...go down court street and get some pastries from Caputo's Italian bakery...have a bunch of suggestion but don't really know what you are asking for.

I love The Brooklyn Star. I think it has that perfect value / quality ratio. Can you list off a few more in that sense? Meaning, I'll go to fancy restaurants and usually be disappointed because they never live up to the hype – but then I'll go to a place like Traif and get blown away. So, more like that if you have them.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

pork minstral posted:

Thanks all for the recommendations! Crossposting from the LAN thread:

Also, the Black Label burger is worth every penny and I will hear no ill spoken of it.

Meh. Overrated.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

The Cheat posted:

I've been meaning to check out Seasonal, and the prix fixe lunch menu sounds perfect for my upcoming week off before starting a new job.

I'm also hoping to check out Tanoshi Sushi after reading this: http://newyork.seriouseats.com/2013/05/tanoshi-best-sushi-new-york-nyc-upper-east-side.html Has anyone been?

I'd love to try, but I'm scared that droves of people will go now. Ah, the press.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

fatherdog posted:

What's cheap and good in the vicinity of Times Square? Some of the folks I'm going to be with are po' students, and I don't want to make them feel lovely by recommending places above their price range, but I also don't want to wind up eating at loving Olive Garden.

Hagi, Margon, Biryani Cart, Maoz

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

sellouts posted:

My flight is delayed into JFK until 10:35pm tonight, which ruins the dinner plans for Momofuku and there's no late night option there on Tuesday.

Any suggestion where I could go at around 11:30pm in Manhattan? With the recent sushi talk in this thread I'd like to avoid it as I eat it all of the time in Los Angeles.

Any place in a similar vein or worth checking out that is open late on a Tuesday night?

There's plenty of late-night eats in Manhattan. I'd recommend checking out any of the Blue Ribbons. Wonderful fried chicken.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004
FYI, Blue Ribbon stays open REALLY late.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

Turkeybone posted:

Okay, so I'll be in the city next Weds/Thurs (if anyone wants to eat random stuff), and god help me for bringing this up but I've heard of this cronut madness... where can I get a decent cronut?

Not worth the hype. Are you looking for rip-off cronuts?

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

crackhaed posted:

The only place in NYC that sells kouing amann and makes some of the city's best canelé has a line around the block for a special donut.

I bet Dominique Ansel loves the money but I know that deep down he thinks this is so dumb.

The DKA is one of the best pastries I've eaten in recent memory.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

Vegetable Melange posted:

Restaurant week is the devil. The levels of care just take a big hit when you have to pump your high margin dishes and FoH knows their tips are going to suffer since no one is going to ball out on wine, etc.

Yep. I am a food snob but turn into a mega food snob when I hear my friends get excited about RW. "OMG LET'S GO TO BOBBY FLAY'S RESTAURANT OMG"

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

Turkeybone posted:

OK change of plans.. Where's awesome breakfast in manhattan? I have to kill a few hours from 6 to 9 tomorrow morning. Also this Sunday afternoon/eve if goons want to get a beer/sphere of organic falernum.

Can't go wrong with Balthazar. For charm, I love Stage in the East Village: http://www.yelp.com/biz/stage-restaurant-new-york - If you do go to Stage, you must try their meat pierogis, I love them fried. Don't forget the sour cream.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004
Check out Totto Ramen.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

Vegetable Melange posted:

Trip report: Del Posto. Easily the best non-home cooked meal I've ever had. Did the five course and I was repeatedly and consistently rocked. After years of 2-4dithiapentane, real truffle oil was a drat revelation (and was included in three of our courses but never overdone). The taste and texture of the pastas were nuts (the cheese filling to our ravioli that was ever so slightly blue may or may not have been described as "fluffy clouds mixed with angel jizz and thrown in the robocoup" when my roommate asked me what it was). Our proteins were some of the finest fish I've ever seen: wild king salmon is no joke. The farmed stuff needs red onion and capers and other makeup, but the real thing is whoa. Finally the standouts really were the pastry courses. Sweet and savory and texturally everywhere but with a strong unified whole, and I'm not someone with a sweet tooth. Finally, I love that the meal started with the tastes on a cake platter and the sweets on a cheese grater.

So yeah, it wasn't bad. Maybe check it out sometime. It wasn't cheap, but you get what you pay for, stupid.

Budget option: Their lunch deal is a steal.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

Mikey Purp posted:

Suggestion Request
Dinner style: Birthday Dinner with a party of 8
Location: Preferably downtown Brooklyn, or Manhattan below Union Square
Willing to spend: $50-$75 a head, including drinks
Restrictions: I'm looking for something that is good for a special occasion but not too fancy. My Mom is also not a super adventurous eater so places that are too exotic are probably out. Also a place that takes reservations is a must.

I'd recommend checking out Rubirosa. They're great at handling large (in Manhattan-sense) parties and have a group dinner menu that will include a lot to eat. Their pizza is phenomenal.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

hallo spacedog posted:

Has anyone by any chance ever done the Chef's Counter thing at En? I think it's the last Tuesday of every month. It's $125/pp, 8 guests total for the evening. Just curious about how it was and if it was worth it.

I was really underwhelmed at En. Think it's overpriced for the quality you get. Would rather spend the money at somewhere like Kyo Ya.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

polpotpotpotpotpot posted:

So, I'm moving out of this godforsaken city. I figure I should go out somewhere unique or nice before I leave -- any suggestions?

Dinner style: Dinner for 2, casual but nice (specifically not looking to go to a 'fancy' place -- no NoMad, EMP, etc.)
Willing to spend: whatever
Restictions: Not seafood

Traif or Xixa in Brooklyn!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

hallo spacedog posted:

Does anyone have any dim sum recommendations for either Manhattan or Flushing?

Want huge and exciting? Jing Fong or Golden Unicorn.
Want quality and not-so-authentic experience? Oriental Garden.
Want takeout? Mei Li Wah.
Want me to punch you? Dim Sum Go Go.

• Locked thread