Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

No assists with a controller I'm stuck at 01:45:203 in the Zonda i can't see how you guys are getting 01:42s this is so frustratingly addictive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
Been playing the demo pretty hard so I threw down a pre-order for this today. I've been wanting a decent racing game for a long time now (the last one I remember really enjoying was Burnout 3) and I found Gran Torurismo impenetrable in every iteration. But this was just right. Out of all the games that are coming out this fall this was definitely not a game I was expecting to purchase but I'm really excited.

I figure before it's officially out I should probably bite the bullet and learn to manually shift.

I'm using the Pagani in Rivals since I noticed it has an indicator on the dash that blinks when you need to up-shift. Can I get some tips on downshifting? I can never seem to find the right way or moment to do it. This last turn absolutely ruins my lap every time.

AwwJeah fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 7, 2011

Daemonite
Apr 25, 2002

redhalo posted:

Can you please direct me to where everyone is discussing how bad the lighting looks.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=447666
http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?s=6d2e2a0cf3eb065e17f4f28234fa4725&t=224011
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1325965

You'll have to trust me that the posts are in there, but I'm not wasting any more time on this.

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.
Target's still showing as in-stock for me, but I'm debating changing my pre-order. Not getting the fuzzy dice or pre-order bonus car is forgivable, but I don't want to lose any chance at the LCE by jumping around different stores.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

redhalo posted:

The only thing you can really add would be more cars, better graphics, better physics, better audio, better way to engage the player, etc that Forza 4 has provided. Are you really poo pooing over just the number of tracks and your opinion that there is too much contrast in a snow environment?

Online racing leagues and seasons similar to the way iracing does it?
How about a competent rally mode?
Dynamic weather (heck, any weather I suppose)?
And tracks as was mentioned...

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

GhostDog posted:

Yes, they could have just patched a new physics engine into the game including updating all the performance data for the cars to work with said new physics engine and also adding another 4 cars (8 in multi) to the track while keeping everything at 60 FPS :rolleyes:

I don't even know where to begin with this :ughh:

dreesemonkey posted:

RE: Porsche

It's my cynicism showing through but I'm willing to bet turn 10 will "be able to negotiate a deal" with EA to grace us with a small set of porsche cars after they've run out of other DLC options.

Write that poo poo down, it will probably happen.

If Porsche does come to Forza 4 as DLC, I doubt it will be because of Turn 10 suddenly negotiating a deal but more that when the license EA has expires (this year I think?) they're not allowed to renew it and we start seeing Porsche appear in more games. I actually wouldn't be surprised to see Microsoft try and gobble up another exclusivity deal like they did with Ferrari.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"

dreesemonkey posted:

RE: Porsche

It's my cynicism showing through but I'm willing to bet turn 10 will "be able to negotiate a deal" with EA to grace us with a small set of porsche cars after they've run out of other DLC options.

Write that poo poo down, it will probably happen.

I am hoping Porsche gets one look at EAs offering and gives them their money back.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

MUFFlNS posted:

I don't even know where to begin with this :ughh:

What else did you mean by "They could have just patched this"?

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

redhalo posted:

drat, I had practically forgotten about this until now. This is upsetting, but I still hope for Porche DLC down the road.

I'm not holding my breath on it. Not unless the next couple NFS games completely bomb and EA gives up on the series again.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
Just got off the phone with Best Buy;

;-* "So your order does say it's still pending but it's probably going to get cancelled."

:confused: "So is it probably gonna ship or is it going to ship?"

;-* "Oh it's more than likely to get cancelled."

:confused: "Fine, cancel it."

;-* "You wanna switch to the Standard Edition? You get the $20 gift card and the 1600MS points?"

:confused: "No, sorry, the whole point of ordering the LCE was to get the LCE, thanks but no thanks."

;-* "Oh, well we tried."

Uh no you loving didn't. I suppose Target and other retailers are getting my business now. :jihad:

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

redhalo posted:

Of course, now I'm half expecting an email from Target saying the same thing.

Well, I ended up with two copies now.

I called Best Buy, told them how pissed I was and how unfair this was, and they changed my order to "in store pickup". So now on release day, I go down to my local Best Buy and pick up my copy.

Of course, Target is also shipping me a copy of it a few days later (I didn't select the super expensive expedited shipping). I think I'll hang on to both orders just in case, and if someone here manages to get screwed, I can send the other copy to them for cost. If not, I'll just return it to Target, they have a good return policy.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Don't link to GTPlanet please. They are horrible mouth breathers that are convinced that Forza is a arcade racing series.

GhostDog posted:

I think he is talking about how GT5 is getting a new physics engine patched in. Which is ridiculous to expect anyone else to do the same. Forza 3 didn't come out in a beta state, like GT5 did. I still like GT5 a lot, but that was the most unfinished game i've ever bought (and I bought Anarchy Online) and it still feels like i'm playing a beta test.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 7, 2011

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Just paid off my LCE, and picked up the new wireless wheel from xbox. I play on a controller and cannot afford a wheel until next year, since Fanatec seems the only way to go. For $60 the wheel is loving worth it. I`m still getting used to the sensitivity but I can keep up with L. Harrison on turns when I would lose ground before. It`s comfortable, and the manual/clutch config on the controller is perfect.

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
To anyone complaining about the lighting: I'm one of those fickle assholes who wants his entertainment setups to be nice and perfectly calibrated. The default gamma settings in the Forza 4 demo are screwed up. There is nothing wrong with the game's lighting.

I'm sure they just opted out of included brightness/sound adjustment settings in the demo. Ideally you should never have to adjust these settings from within a game, so let's hope the default is something different in the official release (I have a feeling it will be).

AwwJeah fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 7, 2011

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Is the metal fanatec shifter actually that much better? I have the turbo S with the plastic shifter and it actually turned me off from playing forza 3 because the shifter was so loving terrible. It's WAY too notchy and constantly gets caught in the gates. Compared to a G25/G27 the fanatec shifter is just unusable and nothing like a proper car.

siig
Apr 4, 2005

Being nice is the shit ...
The framerate in the rearview mirror is slower than the main view framerate. I didn't notice it at first, but now that I did I can't un-notice it :smith:

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

I said come in! posted:

I think he is talking about how GT5 is getting a new physics engine patched in.

Yeah, in the time it takes Turn10 to release a finished new game.

Edit: Although, to be fair, it's very nice of them to do that for free. Then again, they released a demo for nearly full price (Prologue), then an unfinished game after six years of development, so they probably feel they have a bit to make up for.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 7, 2011

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

GhostDog posted:

then an unfinished game after six years of development, so they probably feel they have a bit to make up for.

I'm still waiting for "Gran Turismo 5"

The "Gran Turismo 5" that I bought is definitely not the sequel to the amazing game that was GT4. :colbert:

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

AwwJeah posted:

To anyone complaining about the lighting: I'm one of those fickle assholes who wants his entertainment setups to be nice and perfectly calibrated. The default gamma settings in the Forza 4 demo are screwed up. There is nothing wrong with the game's lighting.

I'm sure they just opted out of included brightness/sound adjustment settings in the demo.

Actually a fair point. The HDR so convinces me that I'm seeing brightness, it might be worth a shot getting the real brightness up to make sure.

But if you can't tell the difference in physics, you're an idiot playing with all assists on, and this game wasn't built for you. (And you're ignoring all the awesome new multiplayer options, etc)

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
So I'm trying to begin playing without ABS on the controller. What's the right way to brake? Pulse rapidly? This isn't easy :(.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

I'm still waiting for "Gran Turismo 5"

The "Gran Turismo 5" that I bought is definitely not the sequel to the amazing game that was GT4. :colbert:

I loved GT4 to death, especially the Nordschleife. GT5 was supposed to be the game to get a PS3 for, then it took forever to come out and the reviews were underwhelming. It took the trifecta of Demon's Souls, Uncharted 2 and God of War 3 to finally do for me what GT5 should have done alone.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

So I'm trying to begin playing without ABS on the controller. What's the right way to brake? Pulse rapidly? This isn't easy :(.

You just modulate the left trigger. Don't pull it all the way, ideally you are braking on the cusp of locking up the tires but not quite. As the tires warm up you can pull progressively closer to the full travel, but with almost every car you can't pull it all the way. You get a feel for it as you race more cars with ABS off, and then you can also tune the braking pressure of cars as you modify them so it's easier for you to manage. You can't just try to perform ABS with your finger, that won't work :(

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

Squeeze it down slowly. You wouldn't ever just jump all on the brakes as hard as you can in a real car, would you?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Residency Evil posted:

Smooth, linear engagement. You should basically never have this trigger pressed in all the way unless you're trying to lock your brakes up on purpose.

ABS :bahgawd:

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

GhostDog posted:

Tweaking and adjusting the physics engine is possible. Obviously they couldn't just patch in a whole new physics engine (this is where you're getting confused I think) but doing tweaks such as making the steering assist optional etc should have been easy for Turn 10 to implement.

You were right about grid size though, as far as I know each car on the track in Forza relies on 360 physics calculations per second and doubling that would be impossible without significant optimizations elsewhere (such as the new lighting engine in Forza 4 which uses less resources than their old one).

Adjusting physics after launch is by no means impossible though :)

Besides, admit it, we're all gonna miss F-class races on Amalfi full :negative:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

dreesemonkey posted:

Smooth, linear engagement. You should basically never have this trigger pressed in all the way unless you're trying to lock your brakes up on purpose.

ABS :bahgawd:

Isn't braking distance increased without it though?

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

Only at first. With practice you can learn exactly how much to brake and you'll find the sweet spot where you can brake hard (and late) and not lock them up. Or the point where a quick jab is all you need. Or when you just have to let off the throttle a oval office hair. etc. etc. Just takes practice to where you can get to the direct point of just before you lock 'em up.

Residency Evil posted:

Squeeze gently at first, until you know the corner/car/cars' brakes and can apply just the right amount for the situation. No 'slamming' of the brakes. Squeeze until you can feel the tires start to lock-up.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

I never liked amalfi full, actually. Also, why exactly are people complaining about the day 1dlc? You get it for free with a purchase of a new game. You only get screwed if you buy used.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
poo poo. Target is out, Best Buy is out, where else can I get the LCE?

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Day Man posted:

I never liked amalfi full, actually. Also, why exactly are people complaining about the day 1dlc? You get it for free with a purchase of a new game. You only get screwed if you buy used.

Are you sure? I thought that pack with the 10 muscle cars was only free if people drop however many Microsoft funbux on the season pass.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

MUFFlNS posted:

Tweaking and adjusting the physics engine is possible. Obviously they couldn't just patch in a whole new physics engine (this is where you're getting confused I think) but doing tweaks such as making the steering assist optional etc should have been easy for Turn 10 to implement.

Everything they said and everything I played tells me that they overhauled the physics engine way beyond tweaks and making the steering asssist optional. The whole tire simulation is supposed to be brand new. Granted, they could have overstated their efforts, but I don't quite have any reason to believe they did so.

In the end it probably comes down to "how it feels" a lot, and there it gets highly subjective anyway.

Edit:

MUFFlNS posted:

Adjusting physics after launch is by no means impossible though :)

Agreed, of course!

Day Man posted:

I never liked amalfi full, actually.

Liked it in theory, never actually played it all that often.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 7, 2011

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

Isn't braking distance increased without it though?

You'll actually end up with shorter braking distances with ABS off. Absolute maximum braking force is when you keep the tires on the ragged edge of lockup, and ABS can't quite do that. ABS is in a constant cycle of "OH poo poo LOCKUP" -> let off the brakes a bit until lockup stops -> "Oh, no lockup?" -> Back to full pressure -> "OH poo poo LOCKUP".

Without ABS, as you get more skilled, you'll be able to find and keep the brakes at that point between full lockup and none whatsoever, and you'll stop harder and be able to brake later.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

FM3's Positano full is not in the game. Only the short version (FM3 "Almafli") is in, which is now just called "Positano" in FM4. The full version has been cut, along with New York, the Bugatti Circuit and all of the Sidewinders.

Minimaul fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 7, 2011

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

If anyone got a spare LCE I will gladly buy it, apparently there's no other place with LCE in stock :(

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Ahahaha, holy poo poo. I finally got around to picking up the demo, and all I can say is I'm going to be using nothing but muscle cars once the full game drops. Mercury Cougar all day erryday, bodyroll from hell and it drifts like a mad bastard :h:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Ringo Star Get posted:

If anyone got a spare LCE I will gladly buy it, apparently there's no other place with LCE in stock :(

http://www.frys.com/product/6713825?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Crustashio posted:

Is the metal fanatec shifter actually that much better? I have the turbo S with the plastic shifter and it actually turned me off from playing forza 3 because the shifter was so loving terrible. It's WAY too notchy and constantly gets caught in the gates. Compared to a G25/G27 the fanatec shifter is just unusable and nothing like a proper car.

Yeah, it's a huge improvement and makes shifting fun instead of "Not done because the plastic shifter is too noisy and random".

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Ether Frenzy posted:

Yeah, it's a huge improvement and makes shifting fun instead of "Not done because the plastic shifter is too noisy and random".

It fixes the horrible 2-3, and 4-5 shift getting caught on the gate in the shifter?

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Ether Frenzy posted:

I loving love you. I will get your back down the road. Trust me. I've been freaking out because I've been low on cash until my three checks arrived TODAY and all day I've been trying to find an LCE pre-order!

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg

MUFFlNS posted:

Are you sure? I thought that pack with the 10 muscle cars was only free if people drop however many Microsoft funbux on the season pass.
You can get the muscle car pack either with the LCE or the season pass. What happens if you get the season pass AND the LCE I don't know :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

MUFFlNS posted:

I feel the same way, the only new tracks I'm excited for is the Bernese Alps (which is fantastic to drive around) and Infineon. I suppose I'd be more excited if all five of the new tracks were ones I like but considering we're losing a few tracks already (New York, Amalfi full, Bugatti Circuit at La Sarthe) along with the Porsche license, I think it would have been better if they just released DLC for Forza 3 instead of making a new game since the new content is minimal and we could have kept the missing tracks and Porsche. Ok so the physics were terrible but Turn 10 could have just patched them anyways.

I mean with the jump from GT3 to GT4 they at least piled on a ridiculous amount of new tracks and cars so there was plenty to justify the jump. Well, you could also say improved lighting and physics too (hurr) but that's to be expected with sequels anyways so I don't consider it a sufficient selling point for any game.

I guess the real stinger though is that this game will have day 1 DLC, which I just find really cheeky when they're not exactly packing that much new content on the disc in the first place anyways. It's not like they've run out of space considering the second disc is less than a quarter full so holding back content is a dick move in my eyes. I'm probably gonna skip buying the game new and buy a cheap used copy in a couple months, or just wait for the "gently caress all of you who bought our game" edition with all the DLC and exclusive content in a years time.

Of course if the new tracks comprised of the Alps, Infineon, Bathurst, Spa, Brands Hatch etc I'd be all over this :swoon:

We've reached a plateau for content. They could have every car and track in existence and it wouldn't really matter because stuffing all of that into the regular racing game mould wouldn't be progress.

Instead T10 has improved on things that needed improving; expanded on other ideas; and implemented completely new ones.

Where Gran Turismo 5 accrued licenses left, right and centre, T10 partnered up with one licensee - Top Gear - to create something new and worthwhile.
You can have your opinion about the lighting, looks are subjective, but the new physics system is objectively the best we've seen in a modern [accessible] sim racer.
We have rivals, trackdays, improved driver progression and new community features. Then there's the career mode that lets you use the one car you like the most, for almost all your races.

Or would you rather buy fifty Skylines and have a 47-race grind series that takes you around the world in each car?

• Locked thread