Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

GreatGreen posted:

What can I do to make cars in this game feel less like I'm driving on ice besides installing grippier and wider tires?

Brake for your corners, use AWD, and crank up the downforce if it's an issue of slight bends at speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marauder Stig
Oct 28, 2010

One shudders to imagine what inhuman thoughts lie behind that mask. What dreams of chronic sustained cruelty.
So I got the NAT on my router to finally open but I used a method not on xbox live tech support.

What I did was...

1. Put my xbox on a static IP address
2. Forwarded the ports 88, 3074, 53, 80, 1863, 2074 to the xbox's new static IP address
3. Then I turned Upnp off. I don't know why, but suddenly xbox says my NAT is open now.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Due to popular demand the SAEG thread is go!

Let me know if I missed anything.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Some pics for the new page:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Rusty Slammington is rad! Cheers man!

bich
Dec 18, 2009

by Ozmaugh

GreatGreen posted:

What can I do to make cars in this game feel less like I'm driving on ice besides installing grippier and wider tires?

Turn off ABS etc, increase downforce, be gentler on your throttle/brakes

Remember driving racecars is all about balancing the tightrope between absolute energy efficiency (not gas mileage but just things like not wasting any momentum on things like braking too hard/early/skidding/burning out) and not rolling off the road into a wall

Brake & accelerate in a straight line whenever possible, any energy spent on turning is energy you can't use for traction & slowing down

Do a test drive track and try to do the fastest lap you can without making a noise with your tires, then see how fast you can do that

Also this might not apply to you but I had a real big problem in the other forza games for a while because I've never driven a manual transmission in real life and I didn't realize for a really long time that your car will handle & brake a lot better in lower gears so downshift for corners too - yeah i'm retarded

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

GreatGreen posted:

Increase the negative camber on the front wheels (less so on the back), steeper angle on your front and rear spoiler (if you're having trouble with maintaining speed through corners.) Don't stab the throttle exiting a corner, in fact don't apply more throttle until you are sure you won't have to take it off again, brake like you're taking a poo poo (push slow, and steady)

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Is there no way to load up a track and just hot lap it by yourself while still getting XP and Credit like you would in a Rivals hot lap? Sort of frustrating if so. With a leaderboard in place for each track and each class I wish there was just a basic time trial Rivals for each map and class.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I try not to make other drivers pay for my mistakes.

Chances are they were going to pass me anyway. Although, I did have a good fight with another Trans Am last night. We were trading spots until I simply hosed up too much. Gotta say that this game is a lot funner when you can actually see how your lines affect your speed when compared to other cars.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Asnorban posted:

Is there no way to load up a track and just hot lap it by yourself while still getting XP and Credit like you would in a Rivals hot lap? Sort of frustrating if so. With a leaderboard in place for each track and each class I wish there was just a basic time trial Rivals for each map and class.

Go to the leaderboards and select a person's time. You can race nearly anyone's ghost (but not for credits).

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

(Click for Big)

Some videos from yesterday:

1st up the first Top Gear SoccerFootball from yesterday:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tesmLO791tw

Watch the first few seconds of this one at least to see what Lag does:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16aIWQchZL0
SPEED BURST GO

and last some A Class Viejo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIr58Vj9TNo

Cat and Mouse was decent fun yesterday. I just happened to pick the slipperiest car and was able to annoy Baggins into the wall the whole time and keep slipping by his defense. Not sure if a really short or medium track would be best.

Athanatos fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 20, 2011

superv0zz
Jun 24, 2006

Touch it.
Anyone else get incredibly frustrated with the AI at times? I don't know how many times I've watched the first place guy drive off the track in front of me, I stay on only to be T-Boned by him blindly coming back onto the track - they also don't appear to lose much/any momentum when they go off-track and will gladly hit me at 60+mph.

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!

Athanatos posted:

Cat and Mouse was decent fun yesterday. I just happened to pick the slipperiest car and was able to annoy Baggins into the wall the whole time and keep slipping by his defense. Not sure if a really short or medium track would be best.

I will END you! Goddamn that was the most annoying poo poo ever. :d:

alr
May 14, 2009

Kachunkachunk posted:

Wow, was that for the R3 Nurburgring circuit event (first of the two)? I'm still doing 50k bounties there. What's your time so far? I'm doing 2:01 on that thing and can't get any better yet.

2:01 puts you at like top 50 or so, that's definitely within 150k range. I'm still chasing dudes around the 2:06 mark and getting 150k payouts. Maybe you started when it first went up, so there weren't too many people to inflate the top % or something?

superv0zz posted:

Anyone else get incredibly frustrated with the AI at times?

The Rivals track day AI makes me angrier than the cheating AI in Mario Kart. :( Getting blue shelled on the finish line has got nothing on the frustration these guys can produce.

pvax
Aug 6, 2001

Asnorban posted:

Is there no way to load up a track and just hot lap it by yourself while still getting XP and Credit like you would in a Rivals hot lap?

I just make a private multiplayer race and throw a bunch of AI cars in there. Make sure to turn collisons off and make everyone a ghost. You can set it to finish by laps or by time and at the end of the race you get some moneys. not perfect - but it works.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

Anybody having trouble driving or being fast or wondering about tuning or handling or any poo poo like that, the most important mod you can do is the driver mod.

Learn the tracks (no driving or braking line): The driving and braking line is a horrible crutch that distracts you from the course. You're too busy staring 30 feet in front of you watching a line go from green to red to pay attention to your surroundings. That includes other cars. The key to driving a fast/proper line is looking ahead. Where you look is where you'll go. You need to look ahead to plan ahead and that means planning for the next corner when you're coming out of the current corner. That's how you get smooth, fast, consistent driving lines. You can't do that if you're staring at a green or red line 20 feet in front of your car because you're reacting to something that - at high speeds - is already too late to react too. This is one of the most important things I tell people whenever I instruct at autocross (the other being two hands on the wheel and foot on the dead pedal...but this is a video game - if you use a wheel though, two hands!). As I said, you can't plan ahead and put yourself to where you need to be if you're not looking ahead. Where your eyes go is where your car will go.

Learn basic driving terms, techniques: Early apex, late apex, understeer, oversteer, etc. Learn what they mean, how to do them and why. You don't have to get all scientific on it, but learn what those terms are. That way you can come to a corner and know you need to late apex, or early apex. That way you can feel and understand the car. Not just drive on a line or slam on brakes and slam the steering wheel/stick over. Remember all those Gran Turismo license tests, they were actually teaching you real driving techniques and fundamentals. With that basic understanding you can realize why you need to go outside-inside-outside on a corner. And when you're looking ahead you can see exactly when you need to get on the throttle so that you don't spin out by doing it too early because you're staring at a green line.

Be consistent, even if it means being slow: Take a slow car, something you like in F or E class and pick a track you like. Learn it as I said above and work on each corner and section making sure you get it right. Then add some speed. Then do it again and again until you're running consistent times. You'll need to do it without major mistakes too. Look at the track itself for braking points. Rocks, signs, trees, shadows, buildings, anything stationary that will always be there (easy to do in a video game). Remember, it takes time to apply the brakes. You're sitting there going "OK, I'll brake at the 100m sign." The sign approaches, you start braking but brakes don't get applied to around 75m and then you're blowing past the corner. poo poo goes by fast at 120mph. And that's not including the ability of the cars brakes, grip, tires, etc. If you need to brake at the 100m sign to make the turn make sure you're braking at the 100m sign.

Once you're consistent you can really start to tune. This is how you can tell you're getting faster with tuning. Because your times get faster. If you change X setting to Y then run 5 seconds faster, was it because you didn't hit the wall on corner 3 like the last 4 laps, or because the setting made a difference? The most important mod is the driver mod. This is how people are so much faster than you in stock or 'slower' or the same car.

Tuning and mods does come into play, but if you can't drive then it won't matter in the long run. I see this all the time at autocross events. "If I get X part I'll be faster!" So you get people adding all these parts that makes the car faster - but it doesn't make them faster. Sure, they're times improved, but if I or any other person out there can make the same time in their own stock car that they're doing modded then they're not at the limit of the car itself and are making a lot of mistakes. any car can be fast, but drivers really make the difference. Most people start adding mods long before they are at the cars' actual limit. I know I'm certainly guilty of that as well.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
The AI is better, but from what I can tell, they have ZERO side-side vision. Sometimes, right off the line, they change lanes and SLAM into you. They'll also run you right off the road.

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

Asnorban posted:

Start a private multiplayer lobby and you can set up a solo race that will give you XP/credits. The payout is on the small side even if you set it up for a huge amount of laps, but it'll still let you progress.

robotsinmyhead posted:

The AI is better, but from what I can tell, they have ZERO side-side vision. Sometimes, right off the line, they change lanes and SLAM into you. They'll also run you right off the road.
This is largely because the AI will always try to get back onto the preferred line as quickly as possible if there's not something already occupying that particular spot. It's pretty easy to exploit this on some of the twistier tracks with well-timed blocking and make faster AI cars run off into the glue-grass if you feel like really screwing them over.

BlazeKinser fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Oct 20, 2011

superv0zz
Jun 24, 2006

Touch it.

robotsinmyhead posted:

YES. I can't count how many times I'll be accelerating at the start line only to have some random AI swerve into me and push me off the track. Of course they almost never lose speed doing this as they appear to made from Unobtanium and can happily steam roll you at all times.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Athanatos posted:

(Click for Big)

Some videos from yesterday:

1st up the first Top Gear SoccerFootball from yesterday:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tesmLO791tw

Watch the first few seconds of this one at least to see what Lag does:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16aIWQchZL0
SPEED BURST GO

and last some A Class Viejo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIr58Vj9TNo

You should oh so totally post this stuff in the SAEG thread to show how awesome we all are. (And so I don't look like a fool for making that thread)

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

superv0zz posted:

YES. I can't count how many times I'll be accelerating at the start line only to have some random AI swerve into me and push me off the track. Of course they almost never lose speed doing this as they appear to made from Unobtanium and can happily steam roll you at all times.

This is why I race fat cars in Forza. Wanna play rough? Mr. Cadillac CTS-V ain't no bitch.

superv0zz
Jun 24, 2006

Touch it.

robotsinmyhead posted:

This is why I race fat cars in Forza. Wanna play rough? Mr. Cadillac CTS-V ain't no bitch.

I did an SUV body form race last night and used the Hummer. I think I got a badge called "Sebring-it" due to my overzealous use of my fenders to smack a bitch. Hummers are great for relieving AI frustration!

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

superv0zz posted:

I did an SUV body form race last night and used the Hummer. I think I got a badge called "Sebring-it" due to my overzealous use of my fenders to smack a bitch. Hummers are great for relieving AI frustration!

I got that same Badge just a few mintues ago. I don't think it had anything to do with trading paint.

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

superv0zz posted:

I did an SUV body form race last night and used the Hummer. I think I got a badge called "Sebring-it" due to my overzealous use of my fenders to smack a bitch.

That's just for driving X amount of miles there. Certain tracks give out badges for racing there long enough. :v:

superv0zz
Jun 24, 2006

Touch it.

BlazeKinser posted:

That's just for driving X amount of miles there. Certain tracks give out badges for racing there long enough. :v:

Crap. I'll just keep believing that the game was proud of me for running land rovers and dodge rams off the track repeatedly. :)

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Life is like a hurricane here in :psyduck: duckburgh :psyduck:

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Jarf posted:

Due to popular demand the SAEG thread is go!

Let me know if I missed anything.

Pictures!

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Partial Octopus posted:

Life is like a hurricane here in :psyduck: duckburgh :psyduck:

Race cars, lasers, aeroplanes, It's a duck-blur

Brought to you by the LLJK chorus in the middle of a race.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011

alr posted:

2:01 puts you at like top 50 or so, that's definitely within 150k range. I'm still chasing dudes around the 2:06 mark and getting 150k payouts. Maybe you started when it first went up, so there weren't too many people to inflate the top % or something?

The Rivals track day AI makes me angrier than the cheating AI in Mario Kart. :( Getting blue shelled on the finish line has got nothing on the frustration these guys can produce.
Yeah I haven't sworn so much at AI in ages. This game is making me rage hardcore sometimes.

I was last doing the 2:0x times two or three days ago, so maybe I was a bit early. drat. But I was ranked a few thousand, so I dunno. Maybe we're talking about different events? I'll have to clarify when I get home.
It's some R3 Nurburgring circuit involving a lot of AI car passing and racing some dude's ghost, that's all I can really say for now.

YarPirate posted:

I asked this a few pages back, but I guess it wasn't colorful enough, or it was a stupid question, so I'll risk asking it again. I'd like to race online, but I'm having problems concentrating on my line with other cars on the track. I'd rather not be "that guy" who runs into everyone or takes up the whole track :(. It's very easy for me to do a good hot lap by myself, but throw in any amount of cars, and I suddenly go wide and off the course. Does anyone have any suggestions for correcting this? I'm pretty sure it's just a mindset thing, but I've been playing this game since Forza 2 came out, and it's not getting much better. Maybe I'm just hopeless? Any advice?
That's sounding entirely mental. You need to try to pretend those other cars don't exist on the track and take your time. You already see what the problem is, so the hard part is successfully ignoring them, but also being able to SEE your line in the first place (they might be blocking your view).

It's also entirely possible that your car simply cannot corner as fast as theirs (which is why your driving line might change color at a different time than theirs), so you have to make up for it with good acceleration out of the corner.

Also try to use the bonnet/bumper cam? I find it helps you corner a bit earlier, but this depends on what your mindset is like in racing games. I find I corner too late if I use a chase camera.

Edit:
If they are crowding the viable driving line areas, you might have to adjust the line and take it a bit wider, turning in eventually. The problem here is you're still taking a less-than-optimal driving line, but it may still be faster coming out of that, than braking so you can fit in the convergence entering a tight, crowded corner.

Kachunkachunk fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 20, 2011

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Kafouille I'm so sorry! D: I didn't mean to loving destroy the pair of us on that last corner.

He had no mic and he left after the race :(

Ak Gara posted:

Pictures!

Ka-done!

Jarf fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 20, 2011

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Jarf posted:

Kafouille I'm so sorry! D: I didn't mean to loving destroy the pair of us on that last corner.

He had no mic and he left after the race :(

Don't worry, i was just off to get a bite to eat as i said in the IRC channel. Also i was in such a bad shape that i would probably have crashed on my own, i'm so terrible under pressure it's amazing.

YarPirate
May 17, 2003
Hellion

Kachunkachunk posted:

Yeah I haven't sworn so much at AI in ages. This game is making me rage hardcore sometimes.

I was last doing the 2:0x times two or three days ago, so maybe I was a bit early. drat. But I was ranked a few thousand, so I dunno. Maybe we're talking about different events? I'll have to clarify when I get home.
It's some R3 Nurburgring circuit involving a lot of AI car passing and racing some dude's ghost, that's all I can really say for now.

That's sounding entirely mental. You need to try to pretend those other cars don't exist on the track and take your time. You already see what the problem is, so the hard part is successfully ignoring them, but also being able to SEE your line in the first place (they might be blocking your view).

It's also entirely possible that your car simply cannot corner as fast as theirs (which is why your driving line might change color at a different time than theirs), so you have to make up for it with good acceleration out of the corner.

Also try to use the bonnet/bumper cam? I find it helps you corner a bit earlier, but this depends on what your mindset is like in racing games. I find I corner too late if I use a chase camera.

Edit:
If they are crowding the viable driving line areas, you might have to adjust the line and take it a bit wider, turning in eventually. The problem here is you're still taking a less-than-optimal driving line, but it may still be faster coming out of that, than braking so you can fit in the convergence entering a tight, crowded corner.

I usually race in cockpit view. After everyones' advice here, I think I will turn off the braking line finally (I only play on a 24" screen so it's kind of hard for me to get good depth perception on it). I'm guessing that might be a big factor. It's easy for me to ignore the other cars in my head, but then I always end up running into them. I suppose this is only a factor in the beginning of the race when there's a huge clump... but in the AI races, I end up in the middle - at the first corner, someone will attempt to pass from behind. If they are on the outside, they push me from the outside and spin me around... If they're on the inside, they push me from the inside and spin me around.

How different are (average) real players versus AI drivers? Is the lag tolerable in multiplayer? I remember Forza 3 when someone would lag out and zip around the course at crazy speeds while the game caught up with them.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

I keep joining servers where all the players are just sitting around in one area and not really moving around much. What's the deal with these guys? I was the only one racing and they just wanted to drive circles around each other or crash into me. I just want to play some online racin' :smith:
Speaking of which can I have an invite to SAEG or another UK goon group? I'm online now and ready to race, GT is Dancinguy.

Also I made a rasta car

Fake Name
Mar 6, 2009

"Han Solo, ha. If I'm around, you don't need that guy."

YarPirate posted:

How different are (average) real players versus AI drivers? Is the lag tolerable in multiplayer? I remember Forza 3 when someone would lag out and zip around the course at crazy speeds while the game caught up with them.

If you're racing against pubbies be prepared to be shoved off track or rear-ended by people refusing to brake for corners. In all the SAEG races I've done people generally try to avoid collisions as much as possible and the races are generally amazing fun.

The lags been pretty good from what I've seen - there's been a few occasions when it's freaked out (see my video of a mustang doing a Back to the Future impression a couple of pages back) but in general I've noticed very few problems.

alr
May 14, 2009
How's the lag between different countries? I haven't started racing online yet, but from what I remember from Forza 3 it was actually pretty decent being in Australia and racing against people from the US. Just had to be a little more careful at speed, give yourself a couple of extra car lengths or so braking at the end of a straight. Anyone have any idea about what kind of connection would be needed to host a race? I'm on around 5mbit down/1mbit up, would that be enough, or would it get throttled by more than a few cars?

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
I have raced from France versus people in the US without any real problems.

TriggerHappy
Mar 14, 2007

robotsinmyhead posted:

I've been using a Goonbus in season mode, still competitive up to C class, especially since the AI still owes me a few thousand hits from races where I wasn't driving an 8200 point H1.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Cross posting from the private games thread.

Some good racing tonight.

There was a battle for 1st and 2nd for almost 6 laps.

Then Jarf snuck up behind me and stole 2nd on the last lap!

My first B500's actuall non AI race. It did quite well, came 3rd place again.

I don't know what this is, but it launched quicker than my 4WD 22b??

A few battlescars.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
What shape did you use to make that carbon fibre fiber pattern?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.
I see a lot of members being kicked out of the lljk club. What's going on? I've been busy with work and haven't been able to keep up with the thread.

Also, apologies to those who keep requesting me to race and I keep rejecting. I usually power through the game first, then start doing multiplayer stuff. So it's going to be a bit before I'm hardcore racing with goons again.

• Locked thread