Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

I don't know why I didn't think to sign up to this thread earlier when the game came out, but now I'm reporting for duty. :patriot: Added my name to the spreadsheet and hoping to add/find some fellow Forza goons. Already part of a club that I don't really want to leave, and not terribly interested in Rivals mode so much anymore, so I'll probably just start adding folks at random who tend to have weekday evenings/Sunday evenings free as I scroll through the spreadsheet. I play with the MS wheel and am not too shabby on my own lapping or against the AI, but I tend to rely on the braking line and have little experience vs. real people, so I tend to bump folks on the corners if they brake earlier than I do. (especially since I prefer lightweight cars with good brakes)

ninja edit: #forzagoons on synIRC? I'm there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Rainwave here, sent club request to AUGR. Want to get in on some races!

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Any tutorials or videos anyone can point me to on how to get started on basic drifting? Experimenting on my own surely isn't working well. :) I'm used to tuning my cars to stick to the road like glue, so I have no idea where to get started on either cars or techniques.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Keket posted:

Add me on Xbox and ill give you a hand sometime, gt keketcat
Thanks, I'll do that this weekend and/or when I've gotten over this cold. :)

TannhauserGate posted:

tldr-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIqoCnZXHKw
^Start tubing Keiichi Tsuchiya. Japanese drifting basically is this man, and he has plenty of tutorial videos.
Noted! Will do. Responses in-line:

1) Can you drive?
I'm not bad, I think. I'm in the top 30% of rival times whenever I try 'em and clock a 1:43 around the Top Gear track.

2) Can you drive without assists?
I drive A class with no cars, and some S class cars, with no assists. I turn TCS on for most S class and all R1+ cars, I have a bit of a lead foot that leads me into trouble exiting corners. I use sim steering since I use the MS wireless wheel.

3) Can you powerslide?
Not on purpose. :D I've gotten adept at keeping myself OUT of powerslides through tuning and countersteer but I guess I need to learn otherwise now. My fav cars tend to be Lotuses, which have a bit of a bite to them on the exit.

The rest are instructions I'll hopefully by able to follow. Thanks for the tips. I was actually pretty sorely disappointed that Forza 4 didn't introduce racing tutorials - it'd be cool to have a virtual driving guide/critic, or interactive modes that use telemetry on replays to give you advice. ("you didn't brake enough", "too little throttle", "too slow here", etc)

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Hey guys, the next turn in Infineon is over this way, right?

[timg]http://i.imgur.com/5udAX.jpg][/timg]

Oh. I guess it's not.

Good thing this bump and that wall are there to stop me!

Well, at least nobody else was as stup- oh god.

General Probe Somebody felt like he was being left out and decided to join in! :downs:

And here come contestants 4 and 5! :haw:

Full stupidity can be viewed here: http://youtu.be/aVidrGd26pU

This all happened because I'm reliant on a braking line and, obviously, being off course there wasn't one for me to look at. :downs: That everybody else had followed me, though... well, that's special. :D

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jan 8, 2012

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

VikingSkull posted:

There's nothing more satisfying than entering a corner too hot, saving it, and watching the people behind you plow into a wall because they were staring at your rear end.

It makes me feel sexy.

This happens to me almost every time I'm in one of my Lotus cars. Problem is I then have to hope I can round the bend fast enough not to get hit...

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Been trying to find one of those 80s car-height small pickups, but the only one in the game seems to be the GMC Syclone, which has a PI of 385 and a price of 12,000CR. Unfortunately I have no idea what cars could qualify, especially since I'm not well versed in muscle cars.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Can anyone give me a good class/PI to sort of target around for this shitbox challenge? I'm a little short on knowing old cars (and owning DLC) so I'm sort of clueless here. :confused:

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Dr. Faustus posted:

I was doing really well until Lightglobe's AI car shunted me into ALL THE WALLS on lap 18 of 20. I mean, I was doing fine and being careful in my Radical. Then I had to limp through two laps with 100% damage all around because I didn't know that the car coming up behind me was going to loving rape me.
The rape occurred both ways. :/

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Not to be a total douche, but the Spec e30 rules call specifically for non-adjustable anti-roll bars. Sadly, it doesn't list a size in Forza, but I think we can fudge it since we have to run 225/45R16s instead of 205/xR15s anyway. I can throw my tune in the AUGR garage in a few minutes so you guys can check it out.
Would happily use this car in the race, I don't have any time to tune and paint a car this week.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Real nice of AUGR to start the race when people are having troubles just joining the lobby.

Stay classy, guys.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

VERTiG0 posted:

(edit) - just tried joining the race Jabs set up (gonna borrow a club car) but I'm getting errors about NAT bullshit?
Guess I'm not the only one that Jabs left behind, then. He needs to check his NAT status. Mine's fully open, no issues.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Jabs posted:

That's when I restarted the whole kit and kaboodle, and that fixed it for all but 3 people, I think.
Can you not leave out those 3 people next time? I was looking forward to that race.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Jabs posted:

We waited 5 minutes from the time the last person joined.
The consensus in the room was that the 3 people had just given up.
Yes, but that's because the last time I tried joining and got voice in I asked "could somebody else create a new lobby" and the response was "but I like the maturity level of this lobby, it's---" and then I got disconnected. :/

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 26, 2012

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Dr. Faustus posted:

Here's the video from my replay of the initial wipeout.
The sounds of his dead engine and transmission are absolutely killing me, hahaha.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

The second the account hacking became known as an epidemic I switched auto-renew off my account and moved to using cards only. Same price, little fuss (free shipping or on the way home pickup), no lockout worries. I keep a "buffer" of MS points for DLC.

Also a maximum length password of random poo poo helps.

Really, though, MS needs to figure this poo poo out, stat. It's obscene. They don't give you a gold account?!

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Open wheeled cars?! Ariel Atom 300 Supercharged!! ARIEL ATOM 300 SUPERCHARGED!

That supercharger is THE reason I still have PGR4. In surround sound it's like having a banshee scream into your ears when you're hitting the throttle. Everyone else here can keep their V12 grunters, I want that scream!

Also my Xbox died. :( Hopefully I can make it to the next GTCC. Having a local shop fix it up, I don't need this one to last much longer.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

He's pricey, $50k. hazard2gnt is his storefront.
That's not really pricey in Forza 4, that's 2 minutes in Rivals mode. Has Rivals mode not wrecked the storefront economy? (or do folks just not care)

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Has anyone taken care 75? That's a real close colour scheme to my typical Feisar/Wipeout livery, so it'd fit right in to my garage. :)

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

YF19pilot posted:

LiquidRain, I'll write you in as well. Edit: apparently you're not "officially" GTCC? what's your GT again (or just send me a friend request).
I'm in the GTCC group! My GT is Rainwave.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Yup, had one of those nights just yesterday in the GTCC races. Much worse performance than usual, and inconsistent lap times. I just kept falling further and further behind and couldn't get anywhere near the lap times others were posting. The only reason I managed to stay in a decent rank was that the people behind me were wiped out. I only managed to start catching up when I stopped caring about catching up. (but by then it was too late)

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

You should get credit for beating a rival's time on the 2nd lap. Game should pop up, say you've beaten the time, and then ask if you want to exit the mode. LB/RB tend to be page up/page down where they can be in Forza, so try using those. (or paddle shifters if you're on a wheel)

Alternatively, join AUGR. It'll pull up club member rival times before world rival times. Less people to scroll through, and very likely higher challenges.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

^^^^^ AUGR is not invite-only, last time I checked. Just join and get accepted.

speedtek posted:

Here's the end of the first lap in the next race. I almost poo poo myself when I exited the last corner and saw all the AI cars sitting there (I was in the orange 787b). Cannnot Find Server & I actually had a really good race that round.
How did you get all those cars to sit still? Classed them to a class that has a really long wait period before they get off the line? Hilarious either way. :)

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

CaseFace McGee posted:

Rainwave managed to catch a tiny protrusion while trying to pass me on Positano.http://youtu.be/AljySAdTWSk
:gonk:

I knew I didn't have much space, but... man. That knock put me to zero in an instant and my screen went completely white for a second. I didn't even know the screen went white if you got hit hard.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

They didn't change the '05 Elise or '08 Exige either, both of those being leaderboard cars on some tracks. (though they aren't gear-limited)

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Apologies to everyone I keep ramming off the road. I'm still working on learning how to pass properly. :p Aside from that, good racing! :)

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

I was just going to say, somebody oughta take a look at that truck. Something's wrong with its wheels. ;)

I imagine it's just perspective from a zoomed in camera making that pickup, a part of the track's background, look like it's part of the racing pack.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

One of the things I really wished would have appeared in Forza 4 would be training drills on proper passing at speed, amongst other things. Instead Turn10 just gives you a 1-4 rating on your pass depending on how close you were to the other person. :downs:

Reading about it isn't the same as doing it, since you really need to learn things as reflexes. I learned very quickly that "car up ahead" isn't "follow that car" when I plowed full speed into someone on a straight on my first night of GTCC racing and was trying to follow other people's lines. Haven't made the same mistake again. :)

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 19, 2012

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

00Fresh posted:

Here's a few clips from last night.

Me pulling as rear end in a top hat move on Rainwave.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbv47OWolZc
That's not an rear end in a top hat move you did to me! I thought it was cool. :) Dirty lap, but cool.

quote:

The Top Gear test track incident
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdhbklNGmQM
That is an rear end in a top hat move you did to me. ;)

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

I like how the ground disappears 15 seconds into your 3rd video. :)

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

PhancyPants posted:

Mine syncs the save file to the cloud, but car packs and replays are on the HDD.
Yep, this. The maximum space on your cloud storage (total) is 512MB, and it only allows save files. No game content. I think my Forza save is ~40-50MB.

Alternatively: buy an 8GB USB stick. :)

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Oh my god that is hilarious.

TannhauserGate posted:

Bottom line: Downshifting upsets the car, and that's bad.

Standard entry is to bleed all your speed and gears in a straight line. Once you're down to entry speed, nose in, aim for the apex, accelerate out. You shouldn't be coming off the power at all once you're accelerating out.
I'm a scrub. I drive manual w/o clutch. (paddle shifters) What I do is what you say for standard entry, except I'm downshifting while I'm still braking since I have to move through gears sequentially and want to be in the right gear on the way out. Since I don't have a gearbox, I feel like I'm not really left with any alternative.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

General Probe posted:

One of my favorite glitches is lag spikes glitching cars through other cars without ghosting them, here's one I posted way early in the thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncJui49hd4E

As an added bonus as you may have noticed we were racing with damage it....it wasn't a good race to be me.
The sound is the most amazing part of the video. It sounds like a laser hit your car. :D

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

^^^^^^ Depends on the track, honestly. For half the Nurburgring you can safely ignore the line, for Laguna Seca the line's pretty accurate save for the fast left-hander before the Rahal Straight.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I'm not even doing manual transmission yet... I'm only on hard mode. (I've only had the game for a couple days though, and I'm pretty new to non-Kart racers.) Easy and medium are a little too drat easy - the game practically plays itself.

I noticed on hard mode, you really gotta listen to the racing line for curves. If you don't break when it tells you to, you're going to go headfirst into a wall.
The racing line is an excellent learning tool, but by no means the end-all-be-all. 99% of the time it will give you a safer or slower line than you can actually take. You'll (eventually) find cars that you like driving, learn those cars better, then start learning when you can treat the racing line as a mere suggestion, and then eventually not need it anymore. Learning how to drive manual (even w/o clutch) will improve your times more than weening yourself off the line at this point, but baby steps. :)

Most folks you'll be playing with here have been playing for years or are very acclimated to simulation racers. For what it's worth, I've been playing Forza since 3 came out about 2-2.5 years ago and I still play with the racing line on braking only most of the time. :) (though everyone's different)

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 1, 2012

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

I think Dan (or someone at T10) mentioned at one point that their secret sauce is getting a load of test data and specs from manufacturers on their cars, and then plugging it into a car physics modeler, and bam there's your Forza car. It is literally one-size-fits-all physics modeling on the cars. The looks of the cars are just that: looks.

I just want my open wheeled cars. :(

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Some reading would alleviate your fears, and confirm the non-tuning:

forzamotorsport.net posted:

The Horizon Festival is also the hub around which Forza Horizon revolves. Go here to buy or sell cars to and from your personal collection; design and paint the cars you own using Forza’s incredibly flexible livery editor; upgrade your cars to take them to the next level of performance; upload your automotive masterpieces and browse your friends’ in-game creations.

eurogamer.net posted:

But the Forza family resemblance is plain to see in plenty of other ways, such as the use of the same car classes and performance index (no E- or F-class slowpokes, mind); the optional green line that shows ideal cornering approaches and speeds; the rewind button for unspooling crashes; a full range of customisable driver assists; a detailed in-car camera; and support for Microsoft's wireless Speed Wheel and Fanatec's superb CSR force-feedback steering wheel. You won't, however, be able to tune your cars - though you can modify their appearance - and damage is only cosmetic, too.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Bigsteve posted:

I wonder if the reason that there is no free car on this pack as well as the Porsche pack is anything to do with everyone with the season pass getting the pack before the Porsche pack for free?

Maybes the system is set up so if you have the season pass it automatically releases the whole pack? They only really just found out so the only way they can stop us all getting the packs for free now is by not giving the free car?
There is a free car, the Cygnet.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Finally got around to some replays.

Soccer physics glitches are awesome.

Sockington makes a mess of my aero on LeMans and walks away scot-free.

Sockington still hasn't learned his lesson in that car.

And finally, at long last, ladies and gentlemen: THE GOAL.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Noooo not the bike rack! :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

We've done that sort of thing before in hobbled "G-class" cars (sub-100 PI), and I discovered that you're better off "popping" your car in reverse. The gear ratio is typically higher than first, which helps. :)

• Locked thread