Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day
Season pass owners: Immediately download the free car to get the pack for free. The Exige costs 900,000 and all the good cars are cheap so it shouldn't be hard to nab what you want. Just hope they don't patch it and ruin the fun.
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-ca/Product/2012-Chrysler-300-SRT8/fbab6148-75ec-4723-abb1-163b0d4bd2d5?cid=SLink

The Smartcar is an absolute hoot to drive. Understeers when it's not rear-engine-flailing for charging into a corner too hard. I don't have time to play around much, but trying out this one car put a smile on my face. I just wish we had full Amalfi or some sort of 1/2 scale Sidewinder to really make use of it. This car deserves a season's worth of go-kart tracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day
True best racing soundtrack (GT2):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T38QX8rkj9M

Cojawfee posted:

I'm just saying that WP0KEI91K82141658 is better than WP0KEI91K82141662 because Hans Schiefulter was on shift up until WP0KEI91K82141660 and he is a better brake installer than Friedrich Weiss.

It's nice to see the badge returning, and I do feel the absence. But if I were to list the things Forza needs, new tracks and original cars (beetle, cooper) would rate above this badge. If they want to throw a 9/11 into that car pack, great, but crowding the event list with a bunch of nearly-mirrored cars on what will assuredly involve more trips to Mugello doesn't do it for me. Or did they say something about skipping Mugello? All the Porsche series races will involve Mugello won't they.

jadebullet posted:

Karmann Ghia is best Volkswagen. :colbert:

Move to Traverse City, MI. It's crawling with them for a few months every year.

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

Ether Frenzy posted:

Another good trick for learning how to drive without assists - Find yourself a nippy (lightweight, nimble), high-revving low class RWD car (C at the highest). [...]
A few million laps of the 'Ring in those cars and you'll be driving the Mazda 787b with no assists and :smug: ing the whole place up before you know it.

The greatest learner cars ever built- Miatas. Just do it. Tune one up to C425 and you'll lose count of the laps before you know it. Also understand that the move to no assists requires a lot of time investment- you'll be learning new things 100+ hours in. Of course your laptimes will also get continually faster that whole time, and soon you will indeed be driving R1s like a pro.

The only two things to question turning off:

-Manual/Clutch. Forza's clutch is really poorly simulated, and as much as I get a raging boner when I pull off heel-toe around Suzuka, I think it's more annoying than the time/realism it gains. Plus I have a weird issue with my thumb joint that makes rolling across the buttons suck for me, so I am biased here.

-Normal/Simulation driving. Especially on the controller in Simulation mode, Forza artificially stops you from being able to countersteer. Try getting into a musclecar or whatever has too much powerand let the back end come out, and examine how much the game lets you countersteer. I've stopped driving Sim entirely because it is completely annoying to have the game stop you from correcting an oversteer that you know you can catch- especially when Normal steering does it just fine. Normal still won't allow you to catch like a pro, but it does respond at all.

ABS/TCS/STM should be off for everyone, as should frankly all of the HUD except for laptimes and the tires/damage popup where appropriate and only because you don't have a spotter to ask. If you're a real man you should also be in-car only except in the rarest of cases (the 787b has such a waste of screen space- sometimes I can't take it anymore and I cheat).

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

GutBomb posted:

I believe it's been said that Simulation is really only meant for people using a gamepad because it can simulate the full range of motion of the wheel linearity with the stick. Thomas from fanatec has said that with a wheel the correct setting to use is Normal. I used sim with my fanatec (and before I got the fanatec the MS wireless speed wheel) and would spin A LOT and never be able to catch the back. After I switched to normal it became a much more fun game to play and a lot less frustrating. Now the only assist I play with is the driving line or if I'm driving an r1 or better car I use manual w/o clutch because it just feels unnatural to use the clutch with the paddles.

It's disappointing because car feel on the pad is amazing in Simulation- roaring around Bernie's in a Zonda is everything a car experience should be. Until the back end comes out, and the illusion is shattered.

Falken posted:

[words]

I should have limited my comment to singleplayer and learning to live in the big scary world without driving aides. Jump in head first, turn everything off, and only re-enable bits (ABS) if you absolutely need them (R1 TCS). This is the opposite of multiplayers, where everything should always be on so you can know exactly how close the guy behind you is to ramming your rear end, and not screw up the field by forgetting that you have no clue how to work ABS.

Relative to singleplayer fun-having, you'll eventually settle on having most every part of the HUD on, but I think everyone should try turning the HUD completely off for a while. It helps you train your ears to listen for shift points, you have to memorize tracks instead of relying on map-based guesswork, if you play with AI or with friends you have to use your mirrors, and so on. I eventually turned most everything back on, but the bits I learned in the meantime were crucial.

It's one thing to see on a map that you need to go out-in-out on the next turn. It's another when you have no map, it takes you five laps just to remember which turn this is, and then you try to work a racing line into the layout you've built in your head. THEN when you have the map again, you go oh wow, I had no idea this bit was so sharp now that all makes sense.

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

Captain Hair posted:

Honestly I was gonna go ahead and buy the pack, but after being away for 2/3 days and coming back to find nothing but 911 repaints I'm considering skipping it as long as I can buy the 5ish cars I want separately.

Oh and by the by, since I've been racing with goons again (my new turtle beach headset arrived, its incredible, i can hear COLOURS) I've been needing higher class cars since anything below B is kinda rare. I've discovered -0.1 toe is INCREDIBLE on a lot of the faster cars. Its turned things like the prototype jag from being a gimmick car into being seriously fast and easy to handle. I've since created a car group named "tuned" and keep dumping more and more cars in because with a little toe I can manage much, much more powerful cars than before. Hell I've even got a Radical RX that I can drive without TCS and such turned on!

I also noticed that the Audi quattro has like, -.4 or -.6 toe on its rears, which explains a lot! Its always been a setting I've ignored. Or perhaps used on the front wheels only for under/oversteer, I never expected it to have such a profound effect on the rear.

Stupid question time, I've seen this mentioned beore- is there an actual way to do this in the game that I'm ignorant of? Like car folders?

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

Captain Hair posted:

Yeah, there is. Go to "grid view" in My Cars or whatever its called. Then select a car and chose "create group" or "add to group" and you can make any amount of groups to put cars into! They aren't like folders, but more like classes. So basically all of my cars in the "tuned" class are first in line before F-class.

If I had some noteworthy skill at something I'd gift you something in appreciation.

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

Powershift posted:

Overall a very very lazy direct port of forza 3 cars. half of the cars don't even have the spoiler removal modeled, and the only aero options are the default forza splitter and terrible wing so if you want to add downforce, it just plops the goofy forza wing right down on top of the stock wing. The few that do have unique spoilers are pretty cool though.

Reminds me of a crappy old Newgrounds animation, and for twice the awful here's a Youtube rip, 3 3ast 3 3urious:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4rtXYgqaPQ

That is mind-numbingly awful. Oh that incredibly obvious feature that everyone who plays our game is immediately going to check? Yeah, we didn't actually have a single person test that at any point during development. If you're going to be that lazy, just don't add the Forza wing, and have the upgrade allow adjustments. You can put a carbon skin on the existing wing, if you want visual feedback.

xzzy posted:

On the other hand, it makes Ai races a little more fun. You can start at the back of the pack and reasonably climb your way to the front before the 4 lap sprint is over.

I assume Turn 10 did this intentionally instead of putting in rubber-banding.

..except when they ram you in the rear end and destroy your car going into turn one.

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

GutBomb posted:

I've been braking until halfway through the turn, then downshifting 1 gear (unless I'm already in 2nd) if it's not a severe angle or 2 gears (unless 2 gears would take me to first, then i only do 1) if it is a severe angle and getting back on the gas. Most of the time i stay in control, but very occasionally i lose the back and get spun around after hitting the grass. I knew I was doing it wrong, just didn't really know what to do right.

This is a good thing for anyone to know and sometimes I feel like throwing down a wall of text in case any newbies are reading. Do some research on real-world driving technique. Focus on racing line, brakes, and gas. In the real world there's a whole process of rev matching that needs to happen to drive a race car smoothly. Forza doesn't care about stress damage to anything so that goes out the window. Bottom line: Downshifting upsets the car, and that's bad.

Standard entry is to bleed all your speed and gears in a straight line. Once you're down to entry speed, nose in, aim for the apex, accelerate out. You shouldn't be coming off the power at all once you're accelerating out. If you messed up and need to drop a gear, do not shift in the middle of the turn if you can possibly help it. Time your downshift so that the little dump of power happens at the moment you return to acceleration. You might still upset the car and have trouble coming up to speed, but you won't fly off the track.

You can bleed some gears and speed during the turn-in (trail braking), if you've gotten good enough to know when and where the car can handle it (and it's easier in FWD). But practicing bleeding it all off before the turn teaches you the valuable racing skill of low entry speeds. This is both the most valuable and hardest to master skill in the book. You'll seem like a complete grandmother coming to a standstill before the turn-in, but you're back on the power half a mile earlier.

Sidenote regarding horsepower: With low-power cars you actually want to save a lot of braking and shifting for the turns because you're trying to conserve forward momentum above all. The more power you have, the less momentum tends to matter, because it's all a question of applying throttle as early as possible. Only once you've mastered getting on the throttle early can you match it back up to conserving momentum, and that's when you're four-wheel-drifting trying to set a qualifying time.

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

LiquidRain posted:

Oh my god that is hilarious.

I'm a scrub. I drive manual w/o clutch. (paddle shifters) What I do is what you say for standard entry, except I'm downshifting while I'm still braking since I have to move through gears sequentially and want to be in the right gear on the way out. Since I don't have a gearbox, I feel like I'm not really left with any alternative.

Actually that's perfect.
:thumbsup:

As you gain confidence you will find you can save just a bit of braking and shifting for the turn, but until you master entry speeds, this is what to do.

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

Turn 10 posted:

Project Gorza Racing

That's not a bad idea. Plus it's a nice way to test off-road and night driving before 5. If that's really the direction, they're probably not getting my money, but I'm pretty pleased all the same.

So long as it's not wrapped up like Dirt. That game is absolutely unplayable for me just because of the XTREME X GAMES WITH TRAVIS PASTRAMI FEATURING DORITOS AND NEW CALIFORNIA GULP MOUNTAIN DEW BUY THE NEW WORLD OF WARCRAFT EXPANSION WHOOP WHOOP DAWG YOU DUN SURE MESSED UP THAT LAST TURN HAVE A MONSTER ENERGY DRINK DID SOMEBODY LET THE DOGS OUT.

Then again I'm not the target audience.

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

jonathan posted:

I almost laughed when I saw the e3 promo video thing for Forza Horizons. With the hot import nights style concert shots and all that bullshit.

The video did a really good job at capturing how corporations wanted people to perceive the car "scene" from the late 90's.

I really though the Forza brand was above that.

Sadly though, these people shell out a lot of money. The market is there. And some games in the series (NFSU2) have been pretty decent. Or if not decent, then fun in a hilarious way. Pearlescent pink nitro-equipped Hummers ramming into cars 4/20. But the fun ones tend to incorporate car mods and livery.

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

xzzy posted:

Yeah, I admit I set my expectations too high. I think the only hardware that could handle real world scales would be a PC, and it would still have to have some clever caching and behind the scenes loading going on.

But some kind of google maps integration and Forza physics makes me all teary eyed. I just want to do my very own Cannonball run, is that so wrong? :allears:

Test Drive did it on the original Xbox, so this is not a valid excuse. The round-the-island tour available in that game, updated with some Forza goodness, should be enough to satisfy any driver.

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

jonathan posted:

the boring rear end 24 minute snooze video states that for a car to be included in the list it has to fit in with colorado and the horizon music fest.

Dubstep and rural Colorado. It's all so clear now.

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day
Random impressions to flip the bird to people who don't have it yet:

-Beetle has a roof rack hell yeah. People are correct in saying that it's awful in a fun way. I'd love a stock Fujimi Downhill with some friends. Upgrading everything except suspension makes it a fun physics-tester. (Body) Roll that beautiful bean footage.
-There's so much crap to stick on the Celica. I can't tell if it's awesome or hilarious. Both. The spare tire on the MG may be the best spare tire in the game.
-You are correct to say the stock Cygnet is the worst car in the game. How can a car have that much bodyroll and dangerous wobble at street speeds? It's like if an Aygo had a Hummer sitting slightly forward on its roof.
-The Dee Luxe may be the best car in the game just by existing. You don't even need to drive it, just having it in your garage makes the game better.
:allears:

I want the game where every single race car is taken out and we just get tons of old beaters like this.

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

crazkylo posted:

I was driving a peugeot 107, another person was in a Datsun 510, and my friend in the old beetle. I tried "popping" in reverse but felt I was not going as far as when I was forwards. However the old beetle steamrolled us when it came to popping up the hills for some reason.

Rear engine sitting over the drive tires. An FF should get similar results going backwards. An FR going uphill backwards is possibly the worst setup in the game.

wolrah posted:

Can we just agree that the line is blurry as hell and "supercar" is not really a well-defined term? Pretty much every performance car in the $80-140k range these days could be called a supercar by someone's definition.

Hell, think back to the early '00s, just ten years ago. If I told you of a car with over 650 HP capable of doing 0-60 in 3.5, able to exceed 200 MPH, and that pulled 1G on the skidpad, you'd be thinking about $200k+ European exotics and would have no doubt that whatever it was qualified as a supercar. Today though, that's a $63k Mustang which no one would even consider applying that term to.

In the end who the hell cares? Fast car go vroom vroom and such, particularly when it's a game where anyone can have pretty much any car they want.

Hate to chime in here, but I think the no-joke effect of Top Gear has played a bigger role in this development than many will admit. It used to be that supercars were known based on name alone, the McLaren was a McLaren, and if you wanted any more details than that you needed to buddy up to the nasally guy (older times) or the grammar-incapable guy running the car forum (newer times). Now there's a popular resource that enables even the dumbest new money to consider that the McLaren F1 may be too twitchy for them, and that they would be better off with a super saloon since that would have at least have a boot in which to place things. Plus the global economy bla bla bankers bla Veyrons like tic-tacs.

I think we're in an era where we can embrace the "hypercar" moniker for cars that function beyond all human need (Veyron), while Supercars are everything that goes beyond sporty. A Miata is sporty. A 640hp Viper, unless it handles like complete rear end and wastes the first 400 of that hp, is super.

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

Ether Frenzy posted:

There's a Viper that doesn't handle like rear end? :monocle:

The standard cars are crap, and this one probably will be as well. But the SRT ACR STi Mk.III (the one with the aero) is an incredibly nice car, if not for having the dashboard out of an effing econobox. The Competition Coupe is every beautiful kind of wrong, something like a Corvette Z06 on steroids. So it's not like the line is completely incapable of producing a decent car.

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

Bentai posted:

Has anyone figured out how to set a timed multiplayer lobby where it still shows laptimes?

+1, I'm going to run a similar event with friends and it's ridiculous that the game doesn't show laptimes.

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day
Commence tale of thing-doing.

There's even a little SoL, although it's hard to get a good pic of it.

Gamertag: calderracrusade
Livery and vinyl group available for 50k a pop in my storefront. Kudos to DocStrngLuv for letting me use his box during this time of trouble.

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

Cojawfee posted:

The end of the track coming up on the last two turns just makes no sense to me. It has brake markers at 150, 100 then 50 meters and a turn sign and this appears to still be 100 meters from the actual turn. So I usually just slow down a bit here meander to the left and then try to find where the turn is. There needs to be some actual markings besides "Yeah, just head over there, the turns over there, honest."

In life you'd actually be able to turn your eyes, so it's probably not as hard to work out in person. For game purposes they could have done something.

Jarf posted:

I'm gonna add to this list.

• F1 Cars
  • Dirt Tracks
  • Weather
  • Actual day/night cycle not just times of day
  • More race tracks (both real world and fantasy)
  • A mini

*Stagger

You can't put in NASCAR and have a bunch of speedway events without stagger, and at least camber left/right. C'mon.

*More tires

Goodyear, and some (weather) compounds.

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

CaseFace McGee posted:

As always, it was a great night of goon racing. I decided that the Ferrari 312 needed a better livery... one that reflected what it truly appears to be...

Mission Accomplished.

Until this moment I had no idea how badly I want to make this type of design on some of my cars. Hnnng.

xzzy posted:

Yeah, I caught that. It took like 30 minutes to pull the car out of the wall? :iiam:

There was another hilarious wreck the other day.. car trying to make a jump, didn't have enough speed and plowed right into the far ramp, ended up on his roof. Sure it wasn't hilarious for the driver but I enjoyed it. :v:

I realize that the rhetorical answer involves Brawndo Energy Drink's Electrolyte content and falling education standards, but why can't they just keep the middle part filled and/or have a more sensible jump area so as not to murder drivers?

Then again I guess I should be happy that there weren't sparklers and confetti cannons going off as he crashed.

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

Maker Of Shoes posted:

turning rewind back on and turning off the line completely.

Do this. Now.

Same goes for ABS/TCS/STM and Manual, although you can't rewind a race start so you can only really practice high-horsepower starts at the Benchmark parking lot.

I drove automatic for hundreds of hours of GT1-4 and Forza1-3. The physics in this game are that much better. If you're using assists, you're missing out.

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Yeah, its the big one. I think the track is pretty neat as well, I really don't get the hate it receives. It's no Motegi, that's for sure.

If you missed it last time, here's the big reason why people hate Silverstone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyEJIoG52xw

(The old course had several turns taken flat-out in 5th or 6th gear. Most turns had a huge radius with no course markers, so it took incredible experience and concentration not to die out there, not to mention you had to do weight-bearing neck exercises just to keep your head on under the side G load.)

The small reason is just that it sucks for the reasons posted. If we had a push-to-pass button we could at least make best use of the limited passing zones, but we don't. (And actually that's fine with me, rah rah old school).

I personally don't think Hockenheim is anywhere near as bad as either of those, but only for single practice. Hock does at least have some rhythm from a couple of 2- or 3-turn complexes, which is rather good for Forza4. But for multi, your only passing zone it outbreaking into the hairpin. And that works so well in a network environment.

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

Seymour Butts posted:

Merc 190
A class
Alps

That's pretty reasonable. The 190 is a rocket engine on a nice sturdy sled, making it ideal for highspeed tracks like Alps. It's got a racing pedigree so it mods up like a champ. Blabla.

Also, PI. The game probably thinks the Merc suffers in cornering due to its age, letting you mod it up a bit compared to a Porsche. Turn those PI-fixed cars loose on the Alps, and the Merc will sail away.

Seymour Butts posted:

Self-admittedly don't know very much about racing. Does the 300 SEL have a decorated racing history as well because seeing that top the Mercedes Rivals challenge struck me as weird also.

Use Google, Luke.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_300SEL_6.3#Motor_racing

You know that DLC Mercedes SLS racing car that was released, the red one with the postage stamp decal on it that handles like a dream? That car was created in honor of the 300 SEL.

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day
Cars
1) V8 Vantage
2) NSX
3) Miata
4) Impreza WRC STi 787b 22c Mk.II DeLux Special
5) Pantera

Why
1) One more lap? One more lap.
2) Suzuka.
3) The perfect mid-range car to hone your skills.
4) Perfect apex, every turn, forever.
5) Press (R) to leave marks.

YF19pilot posted:

Don't listen to all the idiots going on about how awful the Ford Mustangs are.

Unless you've driven the Vantage, which is the best Mustang ever built.

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

Lightglobe posted:

I see this opinion a lot and it makes me a little sad. I think the only class I dislike above B class is R2 because it is in this really weird spot PI wise where you get the choice between crazy power but no handling or amazing handling with the top speed of an A class car.

Because I'm bored.

F-class can be hilariously awful. E-class means you have just enough handling that all you do is wait for your engine to spin up. D can be okay if a car is balanced at that level (muscle cars). C-A can be fun, either on the low end with a car that gets loose (Miata) or at the top end for aero-equipped hilarity (F to A upgrades). S tends to focus too much on power, while the cars handle like crap. R3 can be a blast in a few instances (NASCAR), but mostly not. R2 is the lowest spot outside F because it's all power and nothing else. R1 is suddenly beautiful because the cars can handle the power, and you start to value parts of tracks that never mattered before. X? Uh.

This is also more theoretical peak fun. In practice, with lag and lack of decent pits and so on, R1 drops way back down to the C-A range. B-class is the true "beer and pretzels" fun, perfect for car clubs. R1 is the "holy hell I'm really doing this" fun. Going nose-to-tail at LeMans in R1 is the best racing in the game, but given how impossible that is to actually do, I'd rather be racing B most days.

The guys who drive the R2-type Corvettes have my respect. I realize they get traction control, but hurling an American(ish) muscle car at a chicane at 200mph just doesn't even seem fun to do.

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

silverbullitt850 posted:

Look at how wrong you are.

If you need traction control to drive a car, it is no longer any good.

Lookit this guy, using TCS in R1.
:smug:

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

YF19pilot posted:

I could see maybe having engine wear being an option in single-player. But the problem is we start going down the road of Gran Turismo, with oil changes, body straightening, engine overhauls, license tests, random used car lots, etc. etc.

The only option I'd really steal from another game is the "generic engine swap options" from Tokyo Xtreme Racer 3 (though without the need to drive your car 1000 miles or km or whatever it was to unlock it). I still want a SBC Miata.

Nah, there is a happy middle-ground. Remember when the in-car driver didn't shift at the F4 launch? Where GT5 always screws up (and where Forza screwed up there) is taking the hard line on "if we can't make it perfect we're not putting it in". That just delays launches and results in unfinished products with annoying features. The driving model needs to be perfect, everything else is haggling. Look at features fans are actually requesting (who the hell requested oil changes?), and knock some of them out.

Lots and lots of people want better pits, tire wear, gas consumption, and aero fixes. Generic engine swaps I'd even pass on, for all-out manufacturer swaps. Solves (what I imagine are) licensing issues. And I get that Forza 4 had to do a lot of work with the tire model, but for 5 we need tire compounds back. Or just Goodyear and Bridgestone options.

And dirt. Don't put 4WD rallycars into a game if they don't have dirt to run on.

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

There is no visible suspension in forza, there is a body floating above some wheels.

Pretty sure I've seen the camera clip into carbodies and show half-assed suspension sometimes, like a tie rod sticking out. Then again that might have been the Porsche pack, and there are oddities there.

Open wheel is another big want. Atoms and Caterhams, always. From one angle: going wheel-to-wheel with gigantic muscle cars. From the other angle: Find overly open singleplayer events and drive a Hummer.

If I had to name top wants I'd put open wheel behind tracks, pits, and dirt- but it's up there.

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

Dr. Faustus posted:

I think this might be funnier without the explanation:

Every now and then, someone breaks the barriers of awfulness in such a manner that a thing of sheer beauty results.

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

onlysmartpersononjalopnik posted:

If it's about car culture... why is it centered around a MUSIC festival?

This. Most every car game is about car culture, because the whole point is that the sort of people who like cars are going to gravitate toward this game. What they're really saying is that something only counts as "culture" anymore when a bunch of corporate sponsors brand it and resell it. Which is completely true of popular culture.

Also, the endangered species trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4q2KjWG-9Q

I think my Forza4 career is nearing its end. XCOM launched, and I just can't bother going out for a race when I know the planet is under attack. :( Hope the next gen is really impressive. I'm not sure I want to invest in the next generation of consoles, especially if they put as much into gimmicky motion controls as some rumors would say, so Forza 5 is going to be a big seller for me.

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

xzzy posted:

That's just modern track design at work. Safety regulations play a role in it, but it's partly the designer's fault too. They seem to think that a track is only good if it hits all the bullet points for corner types. Results in a lot of formulaic (boring) layouts.

I think the days of "legendary corners" are long gone.

CotA looks pretty decent... if you're in an F1 car going absolutely balls-out. I could see the opening S-section being really fun to nail correctly. But only in an F1 car, and only at full-on qualifying pressure.

Looking at in-car videos just reminds me how I am so not a fan of the crap on this season's F1 cars. Not one but two push-to-pass buttons? If we get F1 in Forza, please just give us the cars. I don't want videogame nitro buttons.

Cannot Find Server posted:

I'm OK with RWD being more competitive overall, because RWD is also harder to drive well.

I think it's just a hair too strong though. Some cars / rivalries that would be fun to play out, like Subie/Mitsu, are just boring. It feels like you're running a restrictor plate. Then again we really need off-road to make AWD purr and that's a whole other thing.

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

And as i said, it only reproduces an ability the cars had before (drafting)

I'd rather everyone grow some balls to admit that good, safe racing requires a combination of lower power and standardized aero.

...or take the training wheels off and hold Deathspeed: The Racening. Active suspension, skirts, 16-cylinder quad-turbo, every athlete on a dangerous cocktail of steroids and hormone control that results in a total loss of testes. I'd be fine with that too. I just hate being in the crappy middleground of the highest-paid teams getting the rules bent to up the cost of racing.

But KERS is badass. If any technology should have the chains taken off so that everyone can push it as far as they want, have at KERS. Although I'd like to see someone push KERS to improve a car's endurance by reducing load on the engine rather than always using it to improve lap times.

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

How do speed?

Random post for any lurking newbies anyway. If you want speed, you have to turn off all the assists. Some of the assists are really hurting your perception of how cars drive, and you want them off. You will be a better driver in real life if you understand how to live without these things.

Turn in your license if you're still using:
-Steering/braking assist, SCS. Lrn2drv.

Turn these off now and start learning:
-Automatic shifting. You're missing out on half the game's physics on auto. You get so much more acceleration, and much better handling.
-ABS. Lrn2brake. You gain so much control in the corners.
-TCS. Lrn2pedal. Getting on the power is so freaking fun in F4. As you master it, the frustration of spinning out in corners is more than made up by the fun of roaring out of a tough turn sideways and dropping smoke. Fun, fun, fun.

I used to be one of those ABS/auto guys, and Forza4 is the first game where the physics are so incredible that it is absolutely worth learning real car control even as a casual player. Trust me, it is worth the learning curve. Caveat for TCS, awful-handling monster horsepower cars sometimes make TCS mandatory even when you have a hundred hours in, but over time you'll master even those cars. Start by trying to never use TCS below S class. Muscle cars will be a pain at first, and then suddenly become fun as all hell.

Mostly optional:
-Simulation steering feels incredible on a controller, but the game artificially limits your ability to countersteer. You'll get into a lot of accidents that you're capable of steering out of. Leave steering on Normal.
-Manual (w/ clutch). Yeah it cuts your times like crazy, but Forza kind of sucks at simulating a clutch. Whenever you're playing casually, clutch is basically just ruining the audio.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

How do paint?

Are you using metallic / pearlescent paint? Decals are matte only, and will never match. The tip about laying down a base layer of decals is spot on. Layering, yes just cut and paste to change ordering of layers. Also, think about your paint and decals in reverse for cool effects. You could paint a car with some crazy pearlescent color, and then where you want numbers fill in the area outside the numbers, boom pearlescent numbers. This is the key to making some really crazy designs.

xzzy posted:

My launch sequence since FM3 (when I discovered it) is to hold the throttle right below redline as the numbers tick down, and when the race starts let the tires chirp briefly. Then I let off the gas entirely for a fraction of a second, then roll back onto the gas. High torque cars only get about 50% throttle, and it goes up from there.

In multiplayer races this completely destroys the field for getting off the line.. only AWD cars come close.

Not sure what it is about that pause in delivering gas, but it works.

Relative to everything except drag: Until you get really good at takeoffs, and then only if you're completely obsessive about time because real starts are so hard on cold tires, this method is killer. My theory is that since the game starts you on cold tires, barking causes the game to see warmer rubber and give you a bonus when you really take off.

In drag, you're given warm tires, so you can make a proper start.

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

a big fwiggen terd posted:

Ya know as much as everyone hates the licence tests in the gran turismo series, if you pay attention to them they do teach you how to drive properly. I honestly think they should add something simmilar to the next forza. As long as it isnt mandatory and isnt used to unlock key parts of the game, unlike gt5.

License tests should give you money/EXP, and the cars used in the tests. One achievement for the lot. Maybe an autovista or- ohh, unlock the test track- as a graduation present. Boom.

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

CaseFace McGee posted:

Normal steering feels kinda wooden to me. It's not bad, don't get me wrong (Feels just like FM3) but after getting accustomed to sim steering, it just feels better to me, more like I'm actually driving a car, and that good feel translates to better laptimes. Yes, it can be harder to recover, but that's what drifting/hooning practice is for. Of course, I've heard everything is completely different when you drive with a wheel, but I'll find that out after I order my Fanatec on Friday! :woop:

For what you mentioned about TCS and high-powered cars: take my R2 Corvette out of the GTCC garage and try to hotlap it around, say, Road America. I was turning out competitive laptimes in that beast in the Road to R1 series.

With no assists.
:colbert:

I know what you mean about Simulation, and I felt the same way for a long time. Simulation is incredible for car feel. But, the speed at which the game translates your turn inputs is actually just as slow as Normal. Technically the countersteering is no worse than ever, it's just that the game is letting you get into trouble much more quickly. There are enough times on Normal when I know I could save a car but the game just won't let me. On Simulation it's so much worse.

Road America is a great (read: relatively non-frustrating) place for R2, and lately I've found that my throttle control has grown to where R2 isn't nearly as frightening as it used to be. The last thing I'm really having trouble with is Aussie V8s. Take an R1 full-tilt around LeMans for an hour? No problem. Standing start in an Aussie? Impossible.

Also since someone mentioned the other sale, the latest car pack (Pennzoil?) is reduced (280?) for Black Friday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Tghe V8 SUPercars are by far the worst caRS in the Game iMO. I cannot CONTROL THOSE CARS for the love of god and all THAT IS HOLY WHEELSPin...

Literally what it is like.

When you hook up and you're dead sideways pushing the car ahead of you fighting to nose to the inside and make a pass you realize what ridiculous fun these things have to be for their drivers, but goddamn.

• Locked thread