Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

mattfl posted:

What do you guys use for stands for your wheels? I don't have any type of coffee table nearby, so I'd need some sort of portable stand.

I use this:

http://www.target.com/p/Wood-TV-Tray-Natural/-/A-11053804

$13, fits the MS wheel perfectly. They have a darker one too if you prefer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Head tracking verdict: awesome.

At first it seemed like a cheap gimmick, but after a few hours I completely forgot the kinect was there, tracking my every movement. I was naturally turning my head a little to look in the mirrors, and it "just worked." Is pretty nice to have a feature that does its job well enough you forget it's there.

Not sure it's worth the price of a kinect for this one game, but hopefully more games start doing this.

It does spaz out when I scratch my nose or my wife walks behind me, but that's about it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Falken posted:

Can you use the kinect to look to your direct left or right to ensure you don't smash into someone when overtaking?

Unfortunately no. The angles it allows is really only enough to see the side view mirrors. But it hasn't bothered me because I don't look perpendicular to my car when driving in the real world (only exception would be checking blind spots when changing lanes).

Secondly, the side mirrors have a big enough FOV that you can tell where the guy next to you is. Because they're effectively TV screens stuck to the side of your car rather than true mirrors, Turn 10 rigged them with a bigger angle to improve the ability to gauge where someone is.

I also think it's the responsibility of the guy in the back to avoid collisions during overtakes. Yes there's such a thing as a reckless pass, but the rule of thumb is once someone is going tire to tire with you, you gotta respect their presence and allow room.

(this assumes the guy making the pass isn't doing it with locked brakes about 5 feet away from a hairpin)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

jadebullet posted:

Want quick money and experience while having a blast. Buy a Saab 99 turbo, put the displacement in it to get it up to F199 and go do the F world tour. You will dominate, but the car is so much fun to drive.

Or just dive into multiplayer and drive a single manufacturer. I don't think I got less than 10,000 credits for a single race in three hours of online racing. I finished everywhere from 1st to 12th.

The affinity bonuses start at 15,000 credits for level 5, and go up by 10,000 every level. You'll get a level almost every single race for the first few before it drops to about 2 races per level. It probably gets slower later on, but I'm not at that point yet.

Gave me a wallet with 400,000 credits for an evening of play, without grinding for money. I was just having fun.

Also don't be afraid to auction off reward cars.. people are actually buying them for some idiot reason. I default to 10,000 credits and they sell in a few minutes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just don't decide to turn off all the assists and jump into an S class car.

Stick to C class or slower for a little while until you learn how to correct for all the ways you can gently caress up a corner. Work your way up and you'll experience a lot less frustration. B and A class "feel" somewhat the same in terms of how big your margin of error is, and are a safe middle ground.

But S class? loving bonkers.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Lyer posted:

That being said, I upgraded my AE86 to S class so I could be cool, but I am having one hell of a time driving it. poo poo spins out doing anything, even when I ease into the gas. I'm not sure if it's the car not being tuned properly or if I'm not handling it right. Should I just "work" my way up to S class cars before jumping into them?

The further a car gets away from its stock configuration, the harder it will be to drive. Sometimes tuning can fix it, but there's a point where there's too much torque being sent to the wheels for a mere mortal to control.

A stock Enzo will always be easier to drive than an AE86 at 700 PI, no matter how much tuning you put into it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ComfortablyNumb posted:

I really love the simulation steering, I didn't expect much to be added to the 'feel' of the cars, but this really makes it so much better.

It generates all kinds of hilarity in fast cars when they get floaty.. you see a guy crest a hill with the gas floored, and starts swerving all over the place as he tries to correct for the car suddenly wanting to put itself rear end-forward.

The jump on maple valley is even more funny now, as is the long downhill stretch on the alps track.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ziploc posted:

This.

Also, due to new suspension simulation (BODYROLL!) bumps are something the cars really react too now. So hitting a bump with the suspension loaded can cause you to lose your poo poo too.

They seemed to do a good job toning down the problem areas though.. the curbs on Maple Valley doesn't send cars into instant barrel rolls anymore, and the bumpy section on Sebring is actually drivable.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

To continue the shift talk, a lot of the higher end cars have visual indicators when it's time to shift.. usually mounted in the steering wheel. Most of them will flash the LED's once when it's time to shift.

Some of those cars have pretty short gears, and you'll find the car telling you to shift before you think you need to. But if the car is stock, those shift points will be tuned for the engine's power band, so you should do it anyways.

The only reason not to shift is that most of those cars sound their best when near redline, and sometimes you just gotta let the car sing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bentai posted:

Does anyone know if it's possible to roughly reproduce pantone shades in the livery editor, or shoudl I just try and eyeball the shade I'm going for?

You can do HSV with the "color fine tune" option, so if you find a way to convert pantone to HSV, you should be good to go.

Eyeballing it is probably good enough though. Most people gently caress around with their TV settings so there's no guarantee they're ever seeing the same color you are.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

AlmightyPants posted:

Maybe someone here can help me. I just got the Microsoft wheel. I am now terrible at everything. It feels like the cars don't have power steering in the cars. I'm spinning out constantly. I feel like a significantly worse driver. Is there some way to dial this back a bit or what? I'm quite disappointed as it stands.

Try turning on some assists for a while?

There is an acclimation period to using the wheel. It's not like jumping in a real car, you have to learn what the FF is telling you and how sensitive the steering action is.

But once you get over that hump, you'll have a ton of fun.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

AlmightyPants posted:

What assists would you recommend? Right now I'm just flat out not having a good time with the wheel. I feel like a bumbling idiot. I drove my car in the game. Then I drove my real car in the real world. Then back to the game. The game feels nothing like the real car. Should I unplug it so there's no FF, just rumble? I'm keen on playing with a wheel but if it's a chore then I'm just gonna get rid of this thing.

I actually don't know what to try.. I haven't even looked at the list of assists and just blind-fire turned everything off.

Isn't there a steering assist this time around? Like simulation steering or something? Try turning that one on, it might help. It'll still feel a little wonky, but if you stick with it for a few hours you should start to get comfortable. Also, avoid driving S class cars at this point. Stick to the slow ones, where you have a greater margin of error.

Enabling TCS might help too.

I've been playing Forza with a wheel for so long now, I couldn't imagine going back. I probably wouldn't even have bought the game if for some reason I couldn't use a wheel.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MaNiAk posted:

Naaaah, unless its the lljk club where I sneak in a mustang and almost win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTugzfoGIcQ
This game is the best game.

I hope you're telling your grandkids you hopped up on the wall intentionally to avoid the wreck.

Game is a day old, and we already have a contender for most epic FM4 video ever.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

Does the engine just make one loud "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK" for its sound or something?

I guess they're worried about what message kids will receive when an enormous ATV carrying a mounted minigun sets a 7 minute lap on the Nurburgring.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I just want a 60's VW in this game. :colbert:

Preferably, something '66 or earlier, because they started to get really ugly in '67.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MustardFacial posted:

Type 3's and Karmann Ghia's are always gorgeous :colbert:

Okay, true, I guess I should have specified that I want a type 1.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Doctor Butts posted:

I want a "Cars that at least 30 people in your High School graduating class owned back in the 90's" pack.

Ford Tempos!
Chevy Cavaliers!
Oldsmobile Cutlass Cieras!
Buick Skylarks!
old-rear end Ford Rangers
old-rear end Chevy S-10s!
Nissan pulsar (I think it was)
Geo Storms!

These are all the cars you wish you could have raced with your friends but never could because although gas was still under a dollar, you made poo poo for money and could only afford neons or bass!

You forgot the 2nd generation Subaru wagons, the most lowly of all high school cars in the 90's.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Wasn't the Geo Tracker the worst car for roll overs?

Yes, and the Suzuki Samurai. Really tall, really narrow.. recipe for disaster.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

AWD still gets ridiculous launches and are really forgiving on corner exit, so they aren't completely out of the game.

It's gonna take a week or two for everyone to figure out the mechanics, and we'll start to see "cheater cars" again.. it's an inevitability.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I wonder how fast I could move to Germany.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

AwwJeah posted:

Can someone tell me why the only gear ratio I can change when I'm tuning is final drive?

You need the race transmission to adjust individual gears.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Partial Octopus posted:

Apparently some people in lljk might not be goons and could just be random pubs applying since we're top 10 on the leader boards. Any idea what we should do about this?

Would probably need a thread in PGS and an xbox username to sa forums username mapping. And a club leader with the energy to boot anyone who doesn't get verified.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Lyer posted:

Trying to learn how to keep an A class car on the road. :smith:

Go drive S class for a couple hours, A class will feel sedate when you come back to it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

greenman100 posted:

Forza noob here. How can I go back an event in career mode? I got second place on a track on this tour and want to go back to it. Possible?

Back out of world tour, and go to the event list. Find the box that the event was in, and go repeat it.

Enjoy the hunt!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

L_Harrison posted:

Dirty Laps have nothing to do with aggressive driving. Dirty laps indicate laps in which you gained some unfair advantage to improve your lap time. Here are some of the causes of dirty laps:

- Contact, whether with walls or cars
- Cutting courses. If your center of the car is over the edge of the course, you get invalidated. Some courses are different whether they include the rumble strips or not in this calculation
- Draft. You get invalidated laps for being roughly ~1 second behind a car or in front of a car if your speed is 100mph or above.

Each of these can be exploited for an unfair advantage for improving lap times, whether increasing speed by bumpdrafting, drafting, or improving lap times by cutting the course.

Avoid these and you get a clean lap for the leaderboard.
I seem to recall that bottoming out and damaging your car will dirty a lap as well.

Haven't encountered it myself, but I spend a lot of time tuning to make sure my suspension never fully compresses so that may be why.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I said come in! posted:

The rusted ones are really amazing looking.

I applaud the effort, but it doesn't look anything like a real rust bucket.

The BMW looks pretty cool, but the golf is hilariously over the top.

Hopefully some future Forza game lets use pre-bend body panels so we can make truly authentic piles of poo poo.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I have a really tough time driving S or faster cars on the ring.. I get so paranoid about dirtying my lap, by the time I hit Adenauer Forst I'm braking early and taking corners slower than I could be.

On the other hand, if make an early mistake (such as using too much curb in the Hatzenbach area), I can drive with no fear and easily cut 20-30 seconds off the lap time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Trap Star posted:

This and a Reliant Robin are pretty much my dream DLC. Maybe some caravans.

Atom won't happen in a Forza game until they deal with the "open wheel" issue. The game isn't set up to handle suspension animation, the tires in the game now are just floating circles that articulate on an invisible joint.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

quackman posted:

I just try to hit both buttons at the same time while letting off the gas trigger for a split second (for an upshift).
Having said that, is it really necessary to let off the gas? It's hard to tell if it affects my speed, though I can certainly tell from sound. The engine never gets damaged either way so I dunno.

It matters in the real world, the game doesn't care though.

Using a button (that is, non analog) clutch in FM3 was a pretty common cheese tactic to get some extra speed, and it doesn't appear to have improved any in FM4. Many of the leaderboard drivers made use of it to shave time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The bigger issue with the instrument clusters is none of them are lit, and are perpetually in shadow.. which means I still have to keep the HUD speedo turned on.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Career is pretty much just an afterthought anyways.. it exists only to build up your garage and credit stash, preparing you for the real game, which is multiplayer.

Be nice if they put in a real single player story someday, but I can see why they don't bother.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Also, keeping the gas pedal jammed to the floor is not the best way to get rolling again. :haw: Spinning the tires that long, they were probably red hot, which makes recovering even more difficult because your grip is poo poo.

Let off a bit (well, a lot) until you get some momentum back, and then resume racing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I give people two verbal warnings before I unleash the bumper cars.

Just because some doofus picked a muscle car and he can't keep it pointed the right way doesn't mean he gets to use up the whole track, denying more nimble cars a chance to pass. If I get stuck behind one of these guys, I wait for them to go a bit sideways, then tap 'em in the rear end. Problem solved.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MustardFacial posted:

As for the full throttle thing. I know, it was a pure spur of the moment "GO! GO! GO! MAX POWER! GET BACK IN THE RACE!" that I really didn't care about anything else. I think more than anything else I need to stop with my super aggressive racing style. It screws me over so many times from either dive bombing into corners, or pushing the braking point far past what I can recover from, to moments like that.

I'm sure most of us know, I just see it so often (and do it myself) I figured it was worth making a talking point out of it.

I've gotten pretty good about being a patient racer. Sometimes it's to my own detriment because I'm not aggressive in cases I should be, but typically if I focus on avoiding collisions and clean laps, I can climb 4-5 positions by outlasting opponents. If longer races were common, I imagine I'd do even better.

It's also quite fun to loom in a guy's rear view mirror, and watching him slowly unravel. Keeps trying to take corners faster and faster, sliding a bit more each time, until he cracks and stuffs it into a wall.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MUFFlNS posted:

..is also a dick move too. If someone in front is having difficulty controling their car, deliberately pitting them is just as bad in my opinion. Anything where you're deliberately trying to block or hit someone is uncalled for and if someone in front of me can't control their car properly then I pick the right opportunity to pass them, not mindlessly ram them off the road. I thought the whole point of Goon races was to avoid pubbie behaviour like that.

I thought I made it clear I only do it after warning them a couple times that they're blocking me. If they're too drat proud to yield the track to someone who is clearly faster, eventually they lose the benefit of the doubt.

If the car is too much to handle, get the hell out of the way of people who are waiting to drive.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Capn Beeb posted:

Anyone know how to prevent vinyls from being fuzzy/pixelated once you apply them?

Avoiding scaling them seems to help a little bit. You can't completely eliminate it though, it's a flaw of all the shapes being converted from a bunch of layers into a single image.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Lyer posted:

It happens also when a AI driver is chasing another AI driver. I've seen it twice where I've been in 3rd place and saw the 1st/2nd place AI's take a dive because they were too aggressive.

It's hilarious when this happens because when they gently caress up, they gently caress up BIG. None of that "slide into the sand trap and slowly re-enter the race" stuff. It looks like they mash the pedal to the metal and dive bomb the wall as hard as they can.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

NomNomNom posted:

Sorry if this is a really dumb question, but how do I import my forza 3 profile to my forza 4?

It asks you when you start up the game the first time, if it can find a valid profile (that is: owned by the gamer tag you're logged in with).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

GreatGreen posted:

I haven't been able to try out Rivals mode yet. How much do you usually earn per race?

From around 10,000 at the low end, to the 150,000 credit range. The payout increases the further up the boards you climb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The F40 was my dream car for a significant portion of my formative years. :smith:

I still think it's one of the most gorgeous cars ever made (the 288 GTO gets my vote as prettiest car of all time).

The F50, on the other hand, is a hideous abomination.

• Locked thread