Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

hojusimpson posted:

Most sites state numbers in the 3 GB range. I think Forza 3's second disc was 2 GB, but someone here will correct me.

I've got 3.5GB of Forza content according to my Xbox, which is just disk 2 of the Ultimate Stig's Platinum edition and my profile save. I didn't install disk 1 and I've never bought any DLC. I'd be surprised if F4 is much more than that off the bat. unless you install disk 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

Symphoric posted:

My ex-wife just picked me up a copy of the LE at the local Best Buy. She said they had a whole bunch. This is why I never bother to pre-order or buy online, I never seem to have any trouble finding games in stores on release day.

Now I just wish she would hurry up and get here.

This bodes well, as I'm about to head to Best Buy and see if they have it.

Also that must have been a pretty amicable divorce. :v:

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

^ I took the Yaris because that's what I drive in real life, and if you don't buy/drive your IRL car in every game you can, you a scrub.

My favorite new thing is that you still get experience and spacebucks after DNF-ing in multiplayer. Getting my dick knocked in during a race and then having the added insult of not getting a single drat thing for it. I was losing races left and right yesterday, and I still wound up gaining 8 levels and getting half-price parts for like 3 different manufacturers.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

Yeah, they really did fix the hell out of the PI system. AWD cheater cars are properly costed now, so you can't get top tier handling and speed in addition to their insane launches.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

^ The Syclone's already in, IIRC.

The Lightning wouldn't be too bad, or at least it's no worse than the Saleen F150 and Ram SRT8 they already have. The rest would be awful, even as comedy options.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

Le Saboteur posted:

In the spirit of their Top Gear partnership I want some Reliant Robin DLC.

The best thing about this would be that simulation damage doesn't let you roll yourself back over anymore, so after your first slide into the wall you'd be done unless someone else tipped you back on your wheels.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

T1g4h posted:

Goddamn I would play this endlessly and die laughing the entire time. Best use of a physics engine ever :v:

The first GTCC race we did on the Top Gear track, I flipped a Stratos on it's side after getting broadsided into the tires, and had to sit there complaining until someone crashed into me, which put me entirely on my roof, until a second person hit me and I could right it.

The game owns, is what I'm saying.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

Ringo Star Get posted:

Just wait til Christmas. Then you got kids with leadsleds divebombing turns and shunting you out.

I stopped playing online outside of the GTCC because of this. It just isn't worth it to attempt to pass anyone, since 90% of the time they'll just put the both of you into a wall because they either can't drive or don't give a gently caress.

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I haven't really looked into the vinyls and decals too much, but are you importing graphics from jpegs and stuff, or are you creating these from scratch? Is there some sort of beginners guide to start making custom decals and stuff?

You can't import graphics, but they give you a library of shapes and gradients (and text) that you can stretch and curve and layer up until you get something like the shape you want. It can take a while, because you have to work with like lines and circles. If you want to see some real poo poo, Sunday Punch turns out the illest goddamn decals I've ever fuckken seen on a car.

I guess there are pre-made logos you can use, like Bomex or whatever, if you want to do that.

ANAmal.net fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 13, 2011

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

ElwoodCuse posted:

Yeah the plate in the movie was really plain. The vinyl should be super easy.

The vinyl itself is easy, but a lot of the older cars have big chrome bumpers that you can't put stickers on, or the flat plate holding area just isn't modeled, so you'd have some weird plate that conforms to the bumper.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

Hey, dudes that were asking for Cafe Bustelo cars, I got bored:

The vinyl groups are on my storefront, gamertag gregchiasson. The car's not, because you probably don't want an E30 M3, plus I'm too lazy to upload any more poo poo.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

:unsmith:

I've been looking for new vinyls to make anyway, so that request came in at the perfect time.

Plus I totally half-assed that S on there. Just could not figure that loving thing out.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

azerdude32 posted:

Whats the best way to get in touch with fellow goons? I have a Mac and can't really IRC chat (or I can, I just don't know of a way).

Also, I'm going to apply to LLJK or GISH. Gamertag: azerdude32

No idea what the IRC channel is for this game, but Colloquy is a good Mac IRC client, or you can use Adium.

Idiot race posted:

Whats your GT? I need to have some dinner and then maybe a lil bit of racing if anyone else is on mebbe.

There was a guy who wanted me mr2 tune yesterday clutchoid? I'll put that up on my storefront with a SAEG tag.

Also is there anyone who could make the following as vinyls? I'm no good at this painting lark.

edit: oh yeah i've got the hang of manual+clutch, god i'm killing the ai with this so bad I might have to turn it off. It still makes my thumb hurt a bit because I think I must be holding the controller like a retard.

Edit: ffs the forza server is loving up again :argh:

Hell, I have free time and could always use the spacebucks/practice. I'll take a crack at this later tonight, if you still need them.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

Yo Idiot race, I don't know what this thing means and I can't really read it but it's on my storefront:

Gamertag is gregchiasson and I threw them up there pretty cheap, just so I can whore out for credits on that GTCC vinyl leaderboards.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

Yeah, it's the old rear end MR2. I love it except for the stupid door handle looking like some sort of accent mark over the e there. I think that's an e anyway.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

Partial Octopus posted:

Is the art under design or vinyl group? I couldn't find it.

It's just the vinyl groups, yeah. I can throw the entire car design up there, but I usually just post the decals. The round one on the hood and the words on the side should definitely both be up there.

Honestly all I did with the car was paint the hood and the wing blue to match the dot on that fancy-looking i, you aren't missing much.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

I usually do race-level roll cage, sway bars, brakes, suspension, and transmission (older cars in particular need the race tranny, because those four speed gearboxes really limit what you can do), then the stickiest tires I can swing, then rims/aero/wider tires (more for looks than anything). AWD cars get the race differential, so I can shift how much power goes to which axle. My goal is usually to unlock as many tuning options as possible, then run the thing out until I like the handling.

I don't usually add power, other than to eat up the last couple PI points, unless I'm trying to jump classes or something - A600 VW Jettas and the like - and a lot of times I'll adjust the final drive ratio to something absurd like 4.50, to improve acceleration. The chassis upgrades massively improve handling while barely increasing, and sometimes actually slightly dropping, PI. Like, race brakes are a huge upgrade, and they cost like 2-5 PI, so I buy them every time.

Also I tend to paint cars and add decals after I upgrade them but before tuning and test driving, which is way dumb, but I love that fuckin' vinyl editor.

EDIT: I've never actually bought vinyls off the storefront either, I have to sperg out and make my own for some reason, which makes my cars take forever and look like poo poo.

ANAmal.net fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 19, 2011

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

Doctor Butts posted:

I wish you could flip a vinyl shape on one of its axes

Yeah, it's kind of annoying that you have to scale them to do it - change the X size from 1 to -1 or whatever - especially since it doesn't work on groups, just individual pieces. I wish they'd fixed that in the move from 3 to 4, and I'd like to have a text editor that lets you use the on-screen Xbox keyboard to quickly add letters, instead of putting them on them one layer at a time. The vinyl editor is still an amazing piece of work, though, and I can't imagine Forza without it.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

You can flip things on the x axis. Paste your group onto the side of a car, go to the other side and press A and select "insert from other side" and it will import everything from the other side but mirrored. Might work on the Y axis if you rotate it first.

That's true, but I do most of my work in the vinyl editor, not on the car itself. That "insert from other side" thing is useful for lining up racing stripes and stuff, but if you want to only draw half of something and then flip it it's sort of clunky to save it, close the vinyl editor, open a car, paste it on, switch sides, paste it again, save the group again, re-open your vinyl group, and paste in the layers you just saved. It works, sure, but I wish you could just select layers and hit "flip horizontal" or something.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

I always treat the first lap as a warmup/practice lap anyway. Between cold tires and a starting start, you'll never get your best lap times, even if you already know the circuit and don't need a refresher on braking points or what line to take.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

The tour AI is actually perfect practice for XBL pubbies who just want to play bumper cars and PIT you into poo poo every time you try to pass.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

I have way more fun driving shitboxes for some reason. I just feel like you can throw them around a lot more carelessly, and a lot of them are goofy as poo poo. My favorite car so far in Forza 4 is an F200 VW Fox in Sun Microsystems livery, I fukken love that little car.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

I think 50. You get a badge thing for 25, so it goes at least that high.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

I went for the GTO, but I'm pretty sure I don't like driving it. I also got the Bertone at level 35, because I wanted to unleash the man tide.

Q_res posted:

There's actually a third choice there too. Shelby Cobra Daytona coupe.

This is actually the correct choice.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

I'm at 2.5%, which is insane since I'm already level 40 and swimming in cars and spacebucks.

I've been trying to test out new builds for GTCC by doing event list races, and it's ridiculous how many of them actually fit. I needed to take a B-class El Camino out on Leguna Seca and Road America, and there were eligible events for both.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

Scatterfold posted:

crosspostin from SAEG

Wanna surf on dat fukken man tide.

The Monarch posted:

Man I wanna get this pack, but I have an old rear end Xbox that only has 16 gigs of HDD space, and with this game installed (both disks) I'm already down to 2 gigs free.

Is it still possible to custom install your own hard drive, or am I stuck with Microsoft's overpriced nonsense? My Xbox is a white one with HDMI if that makes a difference.

Apparently you can jam USB drives into the back and store stuff on those? But I've never tried it.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

einTier posted:

So, it's really called the "Man Tide?" God, that's a horrible name.

You go to hell. The Man Tide fukken owns.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

I got it as a reward car, so it didn't cost me anything, and even if it did, you're playing this game all wrong if you care about money. I could throw a million spacebucks at a C6 and it still wouldn't look as rad as the man tide.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

But Hockenheim owns?

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

The worst thing is they have races that hit a segment of Fujimi or the Ring, but not the whole thing. My favorite events in Forza 3 were the lap days or whatever, that were just one giant lap of the three long courses, it sucks that they don't have those anymore. The one-on-one Fujimi races with traffic are pretty cool, but I miss doing the full track.

I said come in! posted:

Hockenheim is okay, it's not at the top of the list of tracks I would race on though if given a choice. I wish FM4 had Spa, Monza and Imola instead for European tracks.

That's fair. I don't know why, but I really like Hockenheim. That one and Infineon are easily my two favorite new tracks, and among my favorites overall. Indy can go gently caress itself though.

Cannot Find Server posted:

It shares the same problems as Motegi (flat with nothing but low-speed turns). If you were talking about old Hockenheim I'd agree, though.

Agreed on Motegi. Someone, maybe you, described that one as being "drag strip, hairpin, repeat", which is a lot of why it sucks. Hockenheim definitely has the flatness, which is also what I hate about Indy (and, going the other way, why I like Infineon so much), but I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as Motegi. Though that's obviously just personal preference, and I can't really explain the reasoning behind it.

ANAmal.net fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 2, 2011

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

Giant chrome rims.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

Apparently the word "bitcoin" is blocked in the storefront:

Also, R2 is a pretty fun class now, which is nice because R1 and R2 used to be lovely as hell.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

I'd be more OK with it if the pre-tuned reward cars weren't awful.

I like everything else they did, though. The impression I get is that Forza 4 is built around hooning about with cars and having a good time, like you're supposed to just enjoy motorsport because it's so loving cool, instead of grinding for spacebucks or whatever. It's great, I love that they kept the simulation deep and the racing serious, but cut out all the bullshit that got in way of actually driving cars.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

I'm in for this, since apparently my wife is at work Saturday afternoon. I'll build a car and then come in dead last.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

Kilonum posted:

13 spots left in Goon Mans.

Just sayin'

I'll post a glamour shot later when I've made a proper livery, but I'm in.

gregchiasson | Shelby Daytona Coupe | blue | 29

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

Logue posted:

Question to Kilonum (host): Will we be able to leave the braking line on? I usually don't race with it on, but I make a special exception for Old Le Mans. Also, you may want to decrease the overall time. 2.5 hours will scare a LOT of people away. Maybe make it 1.5?

On the one hand, I want to say "just do practice laps :dealwithit:", but on the other I can understand this. Though if anything I'd change the time to 2.4 hours, because 2.4 huers du le mans :v:

Also, Kilonium, are we doing old Mulsanne or the new Le Sarthe? Old makes more sense if we want to be vintage appropriate, but new is probably a better track so it's up to you.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

Puddin posted:

Has it been said whether we are doing Old Mulsanne or the new version?

Old Mulsanne. poo poo's gonna rule.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

I love the idea of shitbox endurance racing, but with how easy free upgrades are to get, you'd have a hard time enforcing that. Car cost works, and is a good criteria, but most people are going to have free parts without even trying, and I'm not sure how to handle that one.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

Shitbox racing is the best racing.

I totally missed le goonmans, on account of work bullshit. I'm gonna go delete my cell number from the escalation procedures.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

I'm still butthurt we don't get white rims, but the other colors do look rad as gently caress compared to 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

Jarf posted:

This car owns and the song you posted owns. Thankyou for giving me a new artist to check out.

Inspiring, I may have a bash at creating a music artist themed car myself.

Same, for this and for Sunday Punch's Kavinsky car.

I tried making a music car but I think I hosed up by trying to tackle East Side Militia first:

I got most of it except the anime dude and then I just :froggonk:ed into a hole and I haven't done any vinyl since.

• Locked thread