Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

redhalo posted:

drat, I had practically forgotten about this until now. This is upsetting, but I still hope for Porche DLC down the road.

I'm not holding my breath on it. Not unless the next couple NFS games completely bomb and EA gives up on the series again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

GOD IS BED posted:

Please say I'm not the only person who will force every person who visits my house to run the Top Gear track and put their times on a powerboard.

Here's the Top Gear powerboards for each car and F1 drivers, so you can compare to celebrities: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gear_test_track

I'll have a Cee-apostrophe-Dee set aside specifically for this.

Also, my personal goal is to outdo Jeff Goldblum's lap and get better than 1:49.0 while never leaving third gear.

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

PopeOnARope posted:

There's a RUF Porsche in the base game. Better than nothing.

I reckon some of the older RUFs might pop up in future DLC too. Driver: SF had 7 of them after all, so it's not like they're impossible to find. Also maybe a chance of a Gemballa or two, since Turn 10 isn't adverse to lesser-known names and they did hold a 'ring record a while back.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Is there any particular reason that they're the only manufacturer to not be in the game? Please don't tell me it's some bullshit exclusive agreement with 'Gran Turismo 5'.
It's a bullshit exclusive agreement with EA. Not that it's any better.

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

PopeOnARope posted:

On a side note, I really wish they hadn't included electric hybrids in the game. In their base form, it's like loving Rascal Racing.

Clearly these are the prime candidates for the "doing stupid and insane upgrades to cars that somehow manage to actually work despite all logic" aspect of the game.

pvax posted:

SPOILERS!! Link to all level reward car choices

Someones cobbled together this list if you want to see what choice in cars you have when you level in FM4.
Oh wow. By level 30 that starts going into some really, really tough decisions.

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

Professor Bling posted:

Point taken. Putting the 429 in the Trans-Am choice doesn't make much sense, but neither does having the 1970 model instead of the 1969 model.

To be fair though, if you don't pick the Javelin then clearly you've made the wrong decision anyway. :colbert:

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

pvax posted:

I love the idea that the level rewards offer so many different choices.

-It will make for a less annoying auction house since it won't be full of the exact same 50 cars over and over.

Nah, it'll still be littered with tons of identical crap because there are lots of lazy and stupid people who think a 1,000 horsepower car with a big number of recorded wins will make them unstoppable. Hell, that was my primary source of income when people were unloading their gifted P4's.

quote:

- It will probably lead to some more variance on the leaderboards (this will be helped due to by affinity making parts cheap/free as well)
Doubt it, once the one or two "perfect build" cars for each class are found it's all over. Again, because people are generally lazy if there's no incentive to try something different.

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

fuckpot posted:

Because of no weather and no night racing I won't be buying this.

Those were the two things I really hoped they would implement in Forza 4 :(

Frankly I'd rather they not include them rather than put them in and have them be half-assedly done. If the night racing wasn't at least up to the quality of Shift 2's and the weather racing was just the "50% traction and particle effects" model GT5 used then they wouldn't be worth playing.

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

GreatGreen posted:

So I'm trying to get an understanding for the World Tour mode in this game. From what I can tell, there are 10 seasons total, each with some specific number of races per season. No matter what car you're in, the game automatically adapts the game around that car?

I don't quite understand that. What if you want to drive some awful performer like a Toyota Prius around for the whole game? Are you going to race through 10 seasons of races balanced around that Prius?

I think it just makes suggestions for what series to go to next based on what you're currently driving like it does in F3 (use your current car, try a new car, try a track you haven't raced on much), but that's how the entire game mode works instead of just being filler in between championship rounds.

Unless they somehow completely revamped the system into a semi-random race generator, but cool as that would be I don't see that happening.

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

PopeOnARope posted:

World Tour Mode mode basically gives you 3 possible races / events that you can participate in, vaguely based on the car you're in at the time. What's interesting about it, however, is that rather than choosing an event and then doing 4-5 races, you're choosing an event then doing the races at that track. Meaning that a race which is normally meant to be done at Silverstone can take place just fine at Maple Valley. The only problem to this (as far as I've seen, at least), is that what you drive in career mode doesn't count towards the event list.

This actually sounds like a much better way to implement it than the calendar system in F3, and I imagine this and the manufacturers' loyalty system kind of does give more of a feel like you're part of a racing team rather than some hyper-wealthy dude jumping around from one supercar track day to the next.

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

LunaticAngel posted:

Looking at the free 2012 BMW M5 on the marketplace, it's 370ish megs. I hope that isn't a sign of how big the rest of the packs are going to be if that's just the one car! I don't think my connection could handle that once a month (although it'd be very worth it). Either that, or it contains the content for the American muscle car pack aswell, since I couldn't see a sample pack for that.

It probably contains the models for the muscle car pack too, since non LCE people wouldn't be able to see them without it (assuming that's not just an unlock key for stuff already on the disk).

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

j3rkstore posted:

And now, the countdown till quittin' time :3:

You'll be pleasantly surprised with the bonus book that comes with it. I honestly couldn't tell at first which pictures inside are photographs or game renders.

Also, it comes with a Top Gear window clingy thing! :haw:

BlazeKinser fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 11, 2011

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

Cannot Find Server posted:

Benchmark, I think. Which is kinda stupid because Benchmark is great to dick around on and everyone should have access to it.

It was VIP-only in FM3 too. It'll probably be up as regular DLC in a month or so though.

The Disc 2 install process is like installing a PC game from the late '90s. A nice little slideshow, a wholly inaccurate "time remaining" counter and plenty of chill music to keep you from getting impatient.

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!
Hey, cool. Importing vinyl groups also imports ones that you purchased, not just ones you made yourself.

Might have to go boot up FM3 one more time and drain the rest of my credits there on a massive spending spree.

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

Umberger posted:

I admittedly haven't played FM4 yet, but in FM3 there were plenty of races that were exactly what you're describing (make restricted, region restricted, etc).

Event types in FM4:

* Many, many manufacturer races, both for entire brands and specific models
* Body style specific races (superemini, sport coupe, truck, SUV, etc)
* Engine specific races ranging from 3 cylinder and hybrids up to V-12s
* Class specific tours in various world regions
* Top Gear Bowling
* Multi-class events
* One on one races down Fujimi Kaido, with traffic
* Car-specific oval track racing (trans-am, Hemi, Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge, etc)
* Autocross events
* Track days
* Nurburgring 1 on 1, with traffic
* GT/LMP multiclass events
* World championships

And that's just the stuff listed in the Event List. Close to 400 seperate events there, so yeah there's a lot of room for both high-dollar race cars on big tracks and jacked up road rats on small courses.

E: Oh yeah, and Rivals mode has a shitload of challenges in it that will likely make using a wider variety of cars viable too.

BlazeKinser fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 11, 2011

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

Q_res posted:

Has anyone else noticed any unexpected cars? I had a race on Infineon earlier and saw a 2008-style Mustang GT500. I thought they had taken it out of the game, possible Unicorn?

The pre-facelift one is a unicorn, yeah. Heaven knows why considering it's inferior to the 2010 model in every way possible, but... eh.

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

Partial Octopus posted:

I made a club since apparently no one in IRC knows of any. :siren:The club tag is LLJK:siren: You can search for it in the club menu.

Just tossed my LF-A into the club garage. You jerks better bring it back in one piece, you hear me?

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

pvax posted:

I heard that World Tour Mode no longer knocks out anything from the event list ... Can you confirm or deny?

It does, just one race at a time instead of doing the entire series at once.

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

Fatrick posted:

How do I get an invite to the club on the spreadsheet?

Go to Community, My Club, Join Club and send an invite request to the club tag.

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!
Oh good god my inbox is exploding with LLJK invites, the new mail icon has been flashing for 5 straight minutes :gonk:

I approved a bunch of people whose tags I recognized but my hands are cramped from playing too much, so I'll let the other club running guys sort out the rest. Now get some nice cars in the club garage so we can have a proper collection going, DO IT NOW

AwwJeah posted:

I've gone up a few driver levels because of rivals but haven't been able to select my gift car after leveling. What gives? How do I select my free cars?

Back out of rivals mode and go to the career main menu, the prompt will come up immediately.

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

I said come in! posted:

Is M. Rossi back?

Yes, and this time he brought his obnoxious corner-hogging little cousin J. Russo with him. Yay!

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

ColdPie posted:

I'm really annoyed that career mode forces you to play the gimmicky modes like bowling and with traffic. I wish they gave you a set of choices for each event so I don't have to play that junk to beat career. Guess I'll work on clearing the event list and rivals instead.

World Tour mode is just running through the event list one race at a time, so you're going to have to do the gimmicky stuff eventually. To be honest I'm a little disappointed that it's just as pointless as season mode was in FM3, because aside from the world tour credit bonus and achievements there's really no reason to bother with it.

I guess ultimately I don't care much, because racing games like this aren't designed to be "beaten" per se and having much quicker access to tuning/experimenting/just plain dicking around is the part I really wanted, but still they could've mixed it up a little.

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

BlackLaser posted:

It's affinity for a particular manufacturer. Once you reach level 4 all parts are free for all cars of that manufacturer. I think engine swaps, induction swaps, and drive line swaps still cost money though.

Aero parts, wheels and engine/drivetrain/induction swaps are still full cost, everything else will be no charge. When you consider it can cost on average of 70,000 to 100,000 credits to max out everything on a car before the discounts, it's a hell of a deal.

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

BlackLaser posted:

Is there a list of all the badges and what you do to unlock them? I got like three just doing that Top Gear Rival challenge round the ring. The SR8 is a beast.

You can go to the list under My Profile and in the corner of the screen it'll tell you what you need to do to unlock it. A lot of them are pretty easy to get, but some of them are just ridiculous... like the one that requires driving 1,000 miles in a hybrid.

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!
So I just unlocked the 1931 Bentley in Autovista, and... wow. Literally every system on this thing has to be more or less manually adjusted, and it has more gauges than a Cessna. Apparently just starting it is a three-step process.

But damned if that mile-long straight six doesn't sound amazing.

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

mangler103 posted:

Man, this car credit system is going to be a huge money-maker. You can purchase a credit with MS points that will let you buy cars. You don't even have to use in-game credits anymore.
There's honestly no reason to buy car tokens with real money considering the game will start flinging credits at you like a broken ATM once you start building affinity levels. Not unless you're just too impatient to wait a bit before you can have that SLS or McLaren.

quote:

I kind of liked in Forza 3 that credits were scarce for the first few hours of play. You really had to decide if you wanted to buy a bit more horsepower or better tires. Now I'm level 12, and I have 250k credits, and not much reason to use them. I do like the new affinity system, but it seems like you get to the free parts bonus way too fast.

Shift 2 was the same way after a while, because you never really lost money in that game since every car and upgrade was sold back for 100% of its value.

I think it's more Turn 10 realizing that most people just want to build cars to race online with, and disliked having to grind for cash in repetitive single player races to do that. You still have to sink a little bit of money for certain things, but it's no longer a requirement to farm speedway races for an hour just to build some silly gimmick car that you may only use once or twice.

I imagine once the storefront starts getting populated with good liveries and vinyls, then credits will be a bit more free-flowing.

quote:

Does anyone know how high affinity levels go? I'm up to 6 on a couple and keep getting extra credits through that, but will I eventually get other bonuses like cars?

Manufacturer affinity goes up to 50, but after level 4 it's just credit bonuses that increase almost exponentially after a while. I guess you can think of it as being like a factory sponsorship.

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!
Awwww, dammit. I just realized that no Dodge stock car means no Dodge stock car engine to drop into my Jeep Cherokee. Now I have to come up with a completely different stupid idea!

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

Ziploc posted:

I think it's a unicorn now. And you could have gotten it easy by importing.

Woops!

There's a couple in the LLJK club garage that can be used, along with most of the other unicorn cars. So it's not quite the end of the world!

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!
So you can upgrade the electric motor and batteries in the hybrid cars... and doing that in the Chevy Volt just gave it an extra 30 horsepower and about 60 more torques. :staredog:

I do believe I've just found my replacement stupid idea. Let's max out this bitch!

E: Holy poo poo and it has a CVT in it, this is gonna get interesting in a hurry...

BlazeKinser fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 12, 2011

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

blodycoughbynewport posted:

So, what is the currently acceptable Liana tune for power laps on the TG test track?

The real Reasonably Priced Cars have a rollcage and racing seats fitted. I don't think they have anything else done to them, aside from being fixed when someone breaks them with rubbish driving.

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

Lyer posted:

That being said, I upgraded my AE86 to S class so I could be cool, but I am having one hell of a time driving it. poo poo spins out doing anything, even when I ease into the gas. I'm not sure if it's the car not being tuned properly or if I'm not handling it right. Should I just "work" my way up to S class cars before jumping into them?

The thing you have to keep in mind about tuning and upgrading is that just because you can, doesn't exactly mean you should. An S-class Trueno is possible to do correctly, but even with all the assists on it would still be a monster to drive just because of the massive torque and power being poured onto relatively tiny wheels that weren't designed with that kind of power in mind.

The way I usually tune a car is from the bottom up, starting with the tires and suspension, working towards the drivetrain and reinforcement/lightening if needed, and then doing the engine last. It's been my experience that when you tune a car to make the most of the power it already has, then you learn a lot about that particular car's limits and quirks and know when it's a good or bad idea to keep increasing the power output.

Though for a very generalized rule of thumb: Front wheel drive cars can comfortably handle about 250-300 horsepower, small rear wheel drive cars 300-350, large rear wheel drive cars 400-500 depending on how old it is, and all-wheel drive can be pushed up to 600 but you'll need to fiddle with the suspension a lot to make use of it. You can go higher, but unless you're really careful with tuning it's usually wasted power beyond those numbers.

Of course, that's just my opinion. I'm sure there are plenty of other people who do it the other way and get better results than me, but that's how I learned it.

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

j3rkstore posted:

:frogout:

I'll keep that in mind while they pick your flaming remains out of the retaining wall. :q:

But yeah, I guess it comes down to how serious you are about it. In a lot of cases just doing sport upgrades all around won't ruin a car, though it'll definitely be more of a bitch to drive without practice.

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

Well, I think Project Blundervolt (shown above in my high tech tuning shop in Circleville, Ohio) went a fair amount better than I expected.

Turns out the Volt is actually not a horrible little slug like the Prius, the stock electric motor actually has a bit of grunt to it and combined with the CVT that keeps humming along at a constant 4,200 or so RPMs (with none of those clunky fake shift points, I might add), it seems to pull itself along fairly decently and didn't lose too much speed when going through corners. For a high-end F-class car, it's rather adequate.

But of course, in Forza words like "adequate", "economical" and "not ridiculous" are considered profane, so I went and started shoving things into it to see what happened. Upgrading the electric motor and batteries ended up being the biggest difference maker, adding 30 horsepower and almost 60 more torques. It also replaced the dead silence of the stock unit with a funny low-pitched "vwurrrrrrrr" that makes you feel like you're piloting a spaceship from 1950's sci-fi. After widening the tires a bit, upgrading the brakes and putting on new wheels and tires to accommodate them, I started in on the gas engine up front... but honestly I don't know how that engine does its thing since I guess it's actually a gas-powered generator, so that might have been for naught aside from shaving some weight off the front and raising the car's PI arbitrarily. Still, it's got a supercharger on it now. Somehow.

A little weight reduction, and minor reinforcement to bring it up to the top of D-class, and how well did it do? Here, have some sloppily formatted statistics.

code:
PI		F190		D349

0-60		8.800		6.551
0-100		28.100		19.962
top spd		133.1 mph	148.0

hp		149		194
torque		272		341
weight		3825 lbs	3761

test track	1:43.4		1:36.3
I also took it to a D-class race on Mugello Short, and ended up lapping the entire field.

The Blundervolt is in the LLJK club garage if anyone else wants to play around with it. Just remember that it is front wheel drive, so don't miss your braking points. And please, be considerate and plug it back in when you're done with it.

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

TannhauserGate posted:

I saw the Volt project and had to try one of my own. This is as hard as I can possibly try to make the Volt a cool car, and I verified that it can win C-class races. I'd stick to the level bits, and avoid Fujimi. LLKJ club garage'd.

Hey, it's the Blundervolt SS! :haw:

I hope folks will be putting more crazy project cars into the club garage, unicorns and expensive Ferraris are great but trying to wrestle with looney stuff like this is tons of fun on its own too.

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

ComfortablyNumb posted:

I went online to try out the ridiculously fun looking car soccer, only to find out that pubbies had already managed to devolve it into "Just use a Hummer Bumper Car Bullshit Smashfest". There was no soccer, and more importantly, no fun to be had. Goddamned pubbies...

Once the rest of the world gets their copies and the club rushes settle down, we'll have to look into getting a proper car soccer league going. US team in '65 Mustangs vs. UK team in DB5's would be pretty boss.

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

Asmodai_00 posted:

Is there a place where goon games are started? I've been wanting to try out some online idiocy and I'm not sure the best way to go about it since we're at 98 LLJK members.

Basically send out an invite to club members from a private online lobby and wait to see who shows up. If you go to the My Club section under Community, it'll show who in the club is online at the moment so you can guess whether or not it's worth shooting out an invite (it usually is though).

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!
If you think the idea of rolling a hybrid doing 140mph sounds fun, then I highly suggest hitting up the club garage and trying out the A-class Prius built by dblOderp. The world would be a scary place if things like this actually existed in real life.

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!
Oh crap, you know what? With all the other stuff to do I completely forgot about setting hotlap times on the leaderboards! Better go sneak in a few so I can brag about being in the top 10 before they get overpopulated with perfect builds and glitch exploits.

E: LLJK is ranked 10th in circuit racing, between Reddit Racing in 9th and Team GameFAQs in 11th. What wonderful company we're keeping.

BlazeKinser fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Oct 13, 2011

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

AwwJeah posted:

I want to add this eyesore to the club garage:

But I take it you can't put cars bought at auction into your club's garage? I bought a few sweet things with the idea that they'd go to use for LLJK, but every time I try to add an auction car I get an error telling me it's "currently locked." Any idea how to get around this or is it a feature?

If it says the car is locked then it had vinyl groups that are locked on it, you'll need to remove those before you can share it. Kind of annoyed me that I couldn't put the Blundervolt into the club garage until I removed the Top Gear license plate vinyl from the back.

I hope this update fixes that sporadic flickering problem we were having in multiplayer yesterday.

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

BlackLaser posted:

The only thing that is terrible in this game is the music. Even the menu music is completely irritating to me. I had it on low, and I still couldn't hear people over voice chat last night.

http://youtu.be/yfly9i-dvxU?t=1m10s

I tend to have the opposite problem, voice chat is so loud that I have to turn everything else up to hear anything over it.

And the most of the racing music sounds almost exactly like that trashy pseudo-techno stuff from racing games of the late '90s, so I can't help but like it. Except those couple tracks that are trying to be dubstep and failing horribly, that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

Cannot Find Server posted:

Go to your garage, highlight a car that you've shared, select it and unshare it.

I think that our club garage should consist only of Unicorns and insane things like R3 Ka's.

We can definitely live without the standard prize cars and F200 cars since pretty much everyone has those. I'd also ask folks to make sure the cars they share are actually driveable, because maxed out econoboxes that can't turn or brake or do anything but ricochet off a wall at 200mph are just a waste of space.

A5H posted:

Sweet, cheers. How do I get the new M5 then??

Go to the marketplace from the game's main menu, it's a free download.

• Locked thread