Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Few questions from a Forza freshman. I played a lot of GT5, but am enjoying this MUCH more.

1) Can you be in more than on club? I am in a club with some other real life friends, but also would like in on the LLJK action.

2) I play with ABS off, steering normal, Stability and Traction off, but still doing automatic. I tried playing for about 2 hours last night on manual and am having a hell of a time. I am not really sure when to shift up and when to shift down. Total newb question, but can anyone offer advice on when I want to be shifting? Do I want to shift down going uphill and shift up on downhills? Not really sure when to shift down when cornering as well. I have never driven manual in real life, so I have a lot of mental disconnect here.

3) When buying upgrades does it tend to be "the right most upgrade is the best"? I assume I can upgrade my car in a way that it will run like poo poo without going into the tuning menu, but I will worry about that when I get there.

I convinced my wife to give it a try last night and we ended up playing for 2.5 hours on split screen. She was up to most of the assists off by the end (not doing well) but said she would probably be playing when I wasn't. This has never happened outside of Rock Band and Dance Central. Good job Turn 10.

Asnorban fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Lyer posted:

Shift up when you hit the redline, generally you shift down to try and keep the revs high if you have to slow down, like braking before a corner.

So if I am on a rather long straight in 4th gear and taking a long time to hit that red line but acceleration has slowed, I should continue waiting for it to hit red and shouldn't shift up when I am ~75% to the red line?

Thanks for answering my dumb questions.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Minimaul posted:

If you're still in the power range, yes. It's all about being in the 'powerband'. Each car has a different power range through the RPM. Some have more power at lower ends and tapers off at close to redline, some have power all the way to redline. For somebody just beginning, take that fucker up to redline until you get a better understanding and feel for the cars/shifting.

Do some tests on straight tracks or oval tracks without any cars.

Go 40 mph. put the car into 5th or 6th. (so it's super low RPM, like 2k rpm) Floor it. Feel the car lag? Feel/see/hear how it's struggling to go, how it's like it's in molasses? That's because you're in the wrong gear.

Go 40mph, and use whichever gear is at the mid-range RPM, 4k-5k RPM. Probably 2nd or 3rd, depending on the car. Floor it. Notice how there's actually power now? That's cause you're in the right gear. Then you shift, and the process repeats.

When your RPMs get low again and you lose that 'power', downshift so that you're back where you need to be (corners).

It's like that for every gear, every corner, braking, turn, everything. You want to be in the sweet spot as much as possible. It'll take time to learn, but once you feel that slow, lurching no power 'why isn't my car hauling rear end' feeling then you'll know when you're in the wrong gear.

Hope that gives a basic idea. Just keep practicing and listening and feeling.

Thanks! Should help. Now I just need to get used to being able to do it while doing everything else. I tended to overfocus on either shifting gears or the rest of driving and blow at one or the other.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Been wanting to give multi a try. Any goon races going on? Asn0rban is my gamertag if there is room for a completely middling racer.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Is there no way to load up a track and just hot lap it by yourself while still getting XP and Credit like you would in a Rivals hot lap? Sort of frustrating if so. With a leaderboard in place for each track and each class I wish there was just a basic time trial Rivals for each map and class.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Edit: Woh wrong thread.

To contribute: I am finally getting used to Drifting and having a good time. I do wish the Rivals Drift Challenges had some time element to them.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I wish one of these updates would be to add Rivals mode to each track / class combo. Even it is is only one variant of each track it would be nice to be able to race any car on any track in Rivals mode.

Between the Season Pass and Porsche DLC I am hoping they just announce a complete set so I could sell off my disc and buy the complete set cheaper than it would be to buy the DLC alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Is it always this hard to find a race with quick match or does my connection suck?

• Locked thread