Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

MOTHER FUCKER.

Best Buy cancelled my order as well. Now where to go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

redhalo posted:

Target. I had to rebook an order for my brother's birthday present. They can still ship for Tuesday if you expedite.

Done. Thank you. This Best Buy bullshit has seriously pissed me off. Don't take pre-orders for games with exclusive pre-order content and limited edition stuff if you can't actually deliver on it.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

redhalo posted:

Of course, now I'm half expecting an email from Target saying the same thing.

Well, I ended up with two copies now.

I called Best Buy, told them how pissed I was and how unfair this was, and they changed my order to "in store pickup". So now on release day, I go down to my local Best Buy and pick up my copy.

Of course, Target is also shipping me a copy of it a few days later (I didn't select the super expensive expedited shipping). I think I'll hang on to both orders just in case, and if someone here manages to get screwed, I can send the other copy to them for cost. If not, I'll just return it to Target, they have a good return policy.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Ringo Star Get posted:

If anyone got a spare LCE I will gladly buy it, apparently there's no other place with LCE in stock
As I mentioned earlier, it looks like I will be getting two. The Best Buy one on the 11th through in store pickup, and the Target one sometime around the 13th.

Provided I get both, I don't mind shipping one or the other out to you for the cost of the LCE and the shipping. Of course, it won't be there the day of, but you should get all the pre-release stuff. I'm not sure if the BB copy will get the 1M since it's in store pickup, but I figure one could always bitch to Turn 10 about the situation and they'd make it right.

You're the first that's asked, so I'll give you first dibs. Honestly, I don't care about the 1M or the CR-Z, so long as I get all other LCE and day one car packs.

[edit]
NM, you've got yours. My offer still stands right up until the Target copy arrives in the mail. If no one wants it by then, I'll either eBay it or just take it back to Target for a refund.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Dr. Faustus posted:

I have a few friend requests out to:
einTier

that haven't been approved or denied. So I sent some text/voice messages to tell you guys who I am.

Haven't been home in days. Will friend by the end of the night.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

TannhauserGate posted:

e: Cleanup.

Want a Lexus LF-A? A certain number of cars can be imported from Forza 3 to Forza 4. You can still buy the cars in Forza 4, but the LFA costs 360,000 Cr in F3. So that sucks. Have a free one. You may need the proper DLC downloaded to get the car going, ymmv.
Put in a friend request. I could use an LFA. Will gift on once I get my LCE (might be tomorrow, might be next week, depends on if Best Buy or Target deliver on their promises).

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

mattfl posted:

So where is the best place to try and pickup a LCE from instore? Best buy/walmart/target/gamestop??
In my ongoing Best Buy saga, I show up to the local Best Buy to claim my pre-order (Best Buy online said they'd reserve me a copy at the local store after my pre-order was cancelled) to find out that Best Buy online lied to be. I had no copy waiting for me. However, I was very lucky and they had exactly one copy that wasn't promised to anyone.

So I bought it. Good thing too, because it looks like I'm not getting my copy from Target.

Now, to wait until the evening when I can play it.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

I asked to join the LLJK club, but although I see members being added, I'm still shut out.

Also, what is the GTCC club, why is it limited to 16 members, and can you only be in one club at a time?

[edit]
And why didn't I get any import credits? ...because I didn't check the messages, that's why. Doh!

einTier fucked around with this message at Oct 12, 2011 around 04:58

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

siig posted:

Have you checked the LT message center yet? I think you might have to check the message from Turn 10 to get the FM3 save game credits.

Ah. There it is. 60k credits. Thanks.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

After playing for only a little while and just poking around, it feels like this is improved on almost every level. It's also evident that Turn 10 is really listening to the fans and improving in areas the fans really want.

My only complaint so far is that for whatever reason, it appears they've stolen the car collision sounds from GT5. Seriously, WTF?

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

TannhauserGate posted:

Compared to Forza 3, Forza 4 is better in every aspect that any car-loving person cares about.

Top 5 areas of improvement:
1. The game throws money at you. You will never have to grind for credits.
2. Manufacturer affinity at level 4 makes all upgrade parts 100% free. See point 1.
3. The tire model is massively improved, no more losing control on the redline.
4. Wheel-to-wheel lock and steering assist is fixed, making everything better.
5. There's so much more to do. So, so much more.
Bonus Number 6. The improved sound in F4 does things to your dangly parts.
Every time I turn around there is some minor or not so minor aspect that was improved from F4. Most of which were exactly the kinds of things the fans were either complaining about or wanted to see. For instance, I just finished a dual class race, which we'd tried to do several times in GTCC, but now it's a thing, not just a hack that everyone agrees upon doing for a specific race.

There's a lot of little moments like that, so many in fact, I can't remember them all.

One thing I can say about the GT/Forza rivalry is that GT seems to just keep doing what it's always done and whatever it is they want to do, while Forza seems to do the things the customers want. They're really listening out there and it really shows in this product. At this point, I think about the only thing GT manages to do better is look pretty and have a random map generator.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Here's the list of cars you should be buying when you level up.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/63...uide/index.html

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Since we can't put cars in the garage with graphics we didn't create ourselves, please tell me that Sunday Punch made it into the LLJK group. If he didn't, that's a real travesty.

Also, we should start thinking about how members get culled. We've filled up the club, but I'm sure that not all 100 members will still be playing Forza 4 in a month -- or even still own it. In the meantime, there will be new members wanting to join, and it sucks to leave a valuable, contributing member out when there are members who will never show up again.

The 100 member limit sucks. My initial idea is to simply recreate the group each month. Those that are still playing or who want to keep playing will find the new group here and join. The members who don't care get culled. But I think that would wipe out any recognition our group earns over time and that kind of sucks.

Off topic, I'll go pull my cars out of the garage tonight. I don't think there's anything exclusive that I've shared.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Cactachair posted:

Last I checked, there were three stock Abarth Fiat 500s in the garage. That seems unnecessary.
Indeed. I'll admit I added a couple of stock cars back when the garage was fairly empty. ...then I realized you could just select stock cars to race with from the menu in multiplayer. So, there's absolutely no need for stock cars in the garage unless they're unicorns.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Sunday Punch posted:

I know it's because I have a particular emotional attachment to this paintjob, but I love seeing it.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Cojawfee posted:

Wasn't the Geo Tracker the worst car for roll overs?
No, that was the Suzuki Samurai. Consumer Reports was all kinds of angry about it. I remember there being similar issues about the Ford Bronco II, and a lot of discussion about how much of the rollover characteristics where inherent to the platform and how much was the heavy outriggers they put on it.

dreesemonkey posted:

Speaking of, christ the new camaro is terrible to drive.
It's not so great in real life either. It's certainly fast and has lots of horsepower, but all it wants to do is push. Going around a corner is obviously something it wasn't designed to do.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

Is my perception skewed or are some of the tracks wider than they really are? Nurburgring especially, I don't recall it being so wide in pictures I've seen and from GT5 and Shift 2.
You're not mistaken. They made a couple of tracks a little wider, particularly sections of Nurburgring, to facilitate passing and provide for better racing.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

I see a lot of members being kicked out of the lljk club. What's going on? I've been busy with work and haven't been able to keep up with the thread.

Also, apologies to those who keep requesting me to race and I keep rejecting. I usually power through the game first, then start doing multiplayer stuff. So it's going to be a bit before I'm hardcore racing with goons again.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

I noticed there wasn't a BMW 1-series M car in the LLJK garage, so I put one in there. It appears that all the unique cars are truly unique, as I don't have a Mini Clubman or a Honda CR-Z at all. I can't buy them, I can't view them, they might as well not exist.

I'm curious if those cars show up in the club garage, can anyone use them? Or only those of us who purchased the LCE, or only those of us that purchased that particular LCE.

Odd. I find that I can see the Subaru WRX STi (Amazon) and the Mini John Cooper Works (Wal-Mart), but not the Alfa Romeo Guielietta (Game Stop) or the Honda CR-Z (Target). Why? Can those who didn't get the LCE from Best Buy see the 1-series M?

einTier fucked around with this message at Oct 21, 2011 around 01:03

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

BlazeKinser posted:

They show up in the garage, but anyone who doesn't have that DLC can't use them as it just says "This car is DLC and cannot be purchased at this time". So until they make the preorder cars available to everyone, it's not very useful to most folks.

Well crap. I'll go pull it out. There's too many bullshit cars in there as it is.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

I said come in! posted:

I love racing sims, i'm really passionate about them, so im going to put hundreds of hours into this game. I'm looking forward to doing a comparison between the two.
I honestly mean it when I say I can't wait to see your opinion. I know you loved GT5, but you had one of the more objective opinions about the game's flaws and strengths. I personally think Forza is a better game, but I'll be the first to admit that I've not played around with GT5 long enough to know.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

ChocNitty posted:

I can't check to see if this decal exists in the storefront. If not, someone should make it, so I can put it on the hood of my japanese econoboxes.

Inspired by Forza, I did this to my European shitbox. And made AutoWeek!

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Jarf posted:

Rivals mode is the best thing.
Rivals mode is the worst thing. It shows me how much I suck and eats up so much time.

On the other hand, it's like playing a slot machine that's set to some ludicrous payout option.

That said, the next time Turn 10 has a car livery design contest, I'm definitely entering even though my skills at painting are poo poo. Jesus Christ, the gallery for that contest is just one long stream of awful. I wondered how they could pick this for the best car, then I realized they'd picked the least worst option. I don't know what I would have done, but let me just say that if you are going to do any kind of homage to Back to the Future, you probably shouldn't, but if you still feel you must, at least have the decency to have the wrap look like the goddamn time machine.

I'd like to also state that it should be obvious that if you use any logos or copyrighted material from anything but the ones the contest says to use, you're probably not going to win.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Ak Gara posted:

I'm trying to improve my paintjob, does anyone know what the Japanese writing on the hood says? I'd love to be able to add it to my car, but unless I can find a high res copy I don't want to end up with I LOVE COCK on my car because I drew the words wrong.
This high res image seems to make the lettering pretty clear. Clear enough to accurately copy it, anyway.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Ak Gara posted:

Where the hell did you find this?! I've spent all day googling for pictures and coming up short. Thanks!
I did a quick search for "Keep the Dream Alive GT-R" and then selected "Large Images Only".

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

That's how they got me.

"Eh, I'm not that much of a fan of these cars. I mean, they're nice I guess but... wait, is that "

That's what got me on every pack in Forza 3 and it's the reason I bought season pass for F4. I knew I was going to end up buying them all eventually anyway. The Typhoon and the Bel Air in this one are the real prizes for me.

Now, if only I could gift my old copy of F3 and all the DLC to my nephew....

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

You are submitting photos for their photo contests, right? Right?

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Jarf posted:

Watching this video of Le Mans 1955 makes me wish there were more 50's race cars than the Aston and the Jag. Hopefully the Porsche 550 will show up again via DLC if they manage to sort out the rights. There was a Merc in that video too that had an airbrake, the idea of a car in the 50s having an airbrake is blowing my mind and would look awesome in Forza 4.

Let me say that watching the aero work on the Bugatti Veyron SS tonight blew my freakin' mind. I knew they were implementing it this time, but since I usually race in-cockpit and haven't been racing against Veyrons, I had totally forgotten it. I decided to watch from the rear as I got the 241 mph achievement, and watching all the things that wing did was just awesome.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Philip J Fry posted:

Do they ever drop the restrictions on LE cars?
They eventually did for Forza 3. The game was released in October of 2009 and in March of 2010 they allowed people to buy the VIP pack, which gave you all the exclusive content and VIP status. I'd suspect they'll do the same this time.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

I said come in! posted:

I just hit 50 a few minutes ago. I've been trying to play with goons, but haven't been able to get into any races yet. I accept the invites, but when it goes to loading the lobby, I just get kicked back to the main menu.
Yesterday was apparently a clusterfuck for the servers.

I'm just stunned that you're at level 50 already. I figured it would be a couple weeks before you had the time to fully digest the game. What are your impressions so far? What does GT5 really do better?

On a side note about the servers, I spent about a hour between last night and this morning laying down a perfect lap with traffic on the Nurburgring in rivals mode. It takes real patience and the right about of balls to go for a pass nine minutes in that might result in the computer turning into you (apparently the BMW Z4s are incredibly aggressive and the Renault Meganes are incredibly timid, don't give you room, and don't see you). I managed to put down a ten minute lap. Slow, but good enough to get me high in the rankings and secure 150,000 credits.

And the server poo poo itself. I got my credits, but didn't get credit for the lap. On the upside, I can try again and get the huge bounty all over again. On the downside, I'm not sure I really want to subject myself to that torture again. So much is out of your hands and the lap is so long.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Irn--Bru posted:

I swear to god I WILL someday make a clean lap around the 'ring in the trackday rivals event.

edit: yussss
I finally did it again this morning. It's a monster bitch. Now that I've posted a lap that's worthy of a 3xx time, I'll probably go back and try to really do it. My strategy was basically to bomb the hell out of the first 3 minutes or so of the track and then back off until the carousel, then drive extremely conservatively from there.

I bonked up too many laps at the eight-nine minute mark. God, those hurt.

Also, did anyone else start to notice that some of the cars had personalities? Like the BMWs were super aggressive, the Lotus and Mercedes SUVs would always see you coming on on the side and give you room to pass, and those goddamn Holdens and Renaults would seemingly deliberately drive right into the side of you. I had so many laps ruined by those bastards. I'd be nearly finished with the pass, there would be plenty of room for us both, and *BOOMP* they drive right into the rear quarter panel of my car.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Scatterfold posted:

crosspostin from SAEG
So, it's really called the "Man Tide?" God, that's a horrible name.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Cojawfee posted:

I think it might be "man-teed" but man tide sounds funnier. The car is terrible either in every way.
Fixed that for you. I'd been pronouncing it "Man-tid" because I just couldn't believe it was the MAN TIDE.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

ANAmal.net posted:

You go to hell. The Man Tide fukken owns.

Enjoy your million dollar Corvette.

In positive news, I just bought the Aventador, and FLAT PAINT? We have that now? gently caress. YES.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

ANAmal.net posted:

I got it as a reward car, so it didn't cost me anything, and even if it did, you're playing this game all wrong if you care about money. I could throw a million spacebucks at a C6 and it still wouldn't look as rad as the man tide.
I got it as a reward car too.

It's a better ZR-1 than the ZR-1, which is actually a pretty great car. I've even willingly used it enough to get past the level four affinity bonus. That said, it looks absolutely terrible. 15 year old me thinks it's pretty fuckin' sick rad, but 37 year old me thinks it's trying too hard. And if that piece of poo poo really costs a cool million realbucks, there are far better cars you can buy.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

I said come in! posted:

If we ever get track DLC (sounding very unlikely though) I want Spa, Virginia International, Bathurst, and Mid-Ohio.
We got some minor track DLC in Forza 3. I'd be surprised if we don't see some of it in Forza 4.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Cojawfee posted:

Turn 10 has to actually physically model suspension first, and that's not going to happen in this game. Even though it seems like the auto vista cars do have physically modeled suspension.

Also, wasn't the 70s or something the scariest F1 cars, since they were so powerful and didn't have much for aero.
I believe I read somewhere that Turn 10 captured all the cars in the same resolution as the Auto Vista cars, for the day when it would be possible to model them in that amount of detail in game time. That's part of the problem they had finding pristine cars for capture and why not all of the winning Forzalopnik pack cars made it in to the final release.

So, the suspension is "modeled" and captured, but they aren't drawing it or animating it in game because currently, there's no real reason to do it and it spares precious processor time for things like 16 players.

1958, 1960, 1961, and 1970 were the deadliest years of F1, with three drivers killed in each season and four in 1958. However, it's really the late 1960's and specifically the 1967 where people feel that things got especially dangerous.

Rule changes in 1967 meant that cars were suddenly very powerful (400+ HP in 400 pound race cars) with absolutely no aerodynamic aids and tire technology that absolutely sucked. It was not uncommon at this time to run an entire season on one set of tires -- that's how not sticky they were. Combine all that together and you have cars that are very difficult and very dangerous to drive. At least most of the cars had disc brakes.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Hello Spaceman posted:

Sup guys I had a BRAINWAVE.

Bravo.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

MaNiAk posted:

Well then, this is a first for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RX29pT2Ejo
Man, there was one evening that a few of us in GTCC did the following trick:

We got a very upgraded R5 on the old Mulsanne circuit along with a bunch of SSRs. I drove one SSR from the normal direction, while the other crew used another SSR to push the R5 to incredible speeds. At some point, the front end of the R5 lifted and it rode a wheelie down the majority of the straight.

Right up until the time that hit my wedge shaped car. And flew for an impossible amount of time. Basically this, though this isn't our video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K4H30JJLeo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

azflyboy posted:

Has anyone else noticed that Forza 4 seems confused by hybrids?

On the Prius and Volt, using the manual shifting option (with or without clutch) results in them having multiple gears, where the real-world versions use CVT's. Setting the shifing to automatic makes the transmissions work like they're supposed to (only one gear), so I can't quite figure out why the manual option adds gears to the cars.
I think it was Audi that had to add "gears" to its CVT programming. People were complaining about how the transmission felt odd and that it sounded like it wanted to shift but never did, so they threw in some programming to make the CVT simulate actually having gears. I wonder if any other manufacturer has been forced to do the same.

Sucks, because it completely wrecks the advantage of the CVT.

«3 »