Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

ultimateforce posted:

As someone who bought a hard drive to play Forza 3, take my advice and get the biggest one you can afford at the time. It sucks that I got some skimpy hard drive space when I want download game demos or movies.

And if you aren't scared of opening up your computer, you can trivially convert a cheap laptop hard drive in to an Xbox 360 hard drive rather than paying Microsoft's absurd prices for upgrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Picked up my copy last night at Best Buy, but they claimed they have absolutely nothing in-store regarding the 1M and that it should all be e-mailed. So far neither my roommate nor myself have seen anything in our email. Dammit Best Buy, I want my car!

Other than that, so far the game's just as excellent as the demo. For anyone who has a wheel, I strongly recommend building a proper driving seat setup if you have a place for it. Mine's just a few bucks worth of 2x4s and a seat from a junkyard MX-6 and it's awesome.

vv so much better than GT5. I'm still pissed about that POS since it was the main reason I bought a PS3.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 12, 2011

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

This is great advice. In GT4 goons were posting times in a shitbox and I wasn't getting close even though I felt I was driving pretty good laps. I decided to turn the traction control and assists off, and after a small learning curve, I was right in the thick of the posted times. Probably won't take more than a few hours to get used to it, and your times and skill will improve by a good margin.

It's worth noting that particularly traction control slows you down like mad in a lot of cars. I forgot to set up my difficulty before the first F class race and got about 3/4 of a lap in before I quit out and disabled the poo poo. I could barely pass anyone with how much it was cutting my throttle in corners, where without it I had a half lap lead by the end of the race. Wheelspin can be a good thing.

I've been a whore for the braking line since the original game, but I'm finally turning it off in F4 when on the wheel. The improved force feedback and simulation steering mode make it much easier to get a feel for how close I am to getting it right. On controller I still run with normal steering and a braking line, but once I get to know the new tracks the line is going away.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Guntrip posted:

Is anyone else getting occasional pops and clicks in the audio during races and replays? I don't think I've seen anyone mention it.

I don't think it was happening in the demo and no other game (including Forza 3) seems to do it. It's more obvious now that I turned off the music. I'm using HDMI but with audio via optical to a Z-5500 speaker set - is it likely to be my set-up?

I get the same in both F3 and to a much lesser extent F4 on both my Marantz receiver via HDMI and my roommate's Sony via SPDIF.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Pitch posted:

Forza 4 has so many great features but I so miss 2's option to swap the SVT Focus with a 2.3 liter engine. I loved that car. :(

Yeah, I'm sort of disappointed that the number of crazy swaps available went down. Those didn't take any more effort to offer, the data for the engines are all still there to support the cars they're still in, just not offered in the same combinations.

I miss my R8 with a V12 Diesel LeMans engine. F4 won't even let me put in the Q7's TDI.

e: Also, I called Best Buy again today and they were finally able to give me my code for the 1M. My roommate called for his and the one they gave him was indicating already used on XBL. They really did not handle this part well for in-store buyers.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Oct 17, 2011

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

ChocNitty posted:

DORIAL GREEN BECKHAM.

No idea who this guy is. But I wish I could make a livery with my face on it.

Wee Bairns posted:

That's drat impressive.

Ringo Star Get posted:

I would pay someone to make a vinyl of my face.

I wouldn't get too excited unless there's confirmation of it being legit. There are save editors in the wild already, so if liveries are stored similarly to how they were on older versions it should be possible to insert just about any image you want. The only question is how long it takes T10 to notice and grab the banhammer.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
If you're really bored, you can set up a "multiplayer" race on Benchmark A with a full set of AI opponents and 50 laps. 20 minutes = 150,000 credits, but no promises for your sanity if you try to do it multiple times in a row.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

The Monarch posted:

Is it still possible to custom install your own hard drive, or am I stuck with Microsoft's overpriced nonsense? My Xbox is a white one with HDMI if that makes a difference.

USB is an option as already noted, but it is quite trivial to reflash a few models of generic laptop hard drive to work in 360s. Both my roommate and I have 250GB Western Digital Scorpio drives in our legit online 360s. They were set up on "Falcon" consoles (old white model with HDMI) and we took them out of their cases to slide them in to our newer slim models when we got them. They should work just fine in any console.

You can only work within the limits Microsoft has set, 20, 40, 60, 120, 250, and 320GB "disk signatures" are available.

For fat models, the drive case is readily available online from a variety of places, for slim models you can do the same or just slide the drive in and wedge it in place with foam chunks cut from the 360's packaging as I did.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
loving hell, I barely can afford it, but T10 just sold me a season pass.

edit: How did I not know the November pack's Charger had cop bumpers!?! Meet my new A600 car:

Nothing more intimidating to see in the rear view than a Charger with a push bumper.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 30, 2011

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Ffffuuuuuu.....

The inevitable happened and the shift paddles on my Microsoft wheel are acting up. The upshift side is making nasty noises when clicked and occasionally it randomly downshifts.

I'm going to take the wheel apart this weekend, hopefully whatever's wrong is fixable.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

jadebullet posted:

Maserati 300 is so much fun. I had the scariest launch ever today in a pubbie lobby with it. I was on the ring, 16th position at start. By the time we reached the first bend I was in 2nd.

I love this car. I chose it for the '50s Roadster challenge on a whim and was grinning the entire time. First gear just keeps going forever. I went in to a corner about half way through the lap, hit the downshift paddle, and then was momentarily confused as to why it wasn't working. You can turn in a respectable lap time without even hitting second gear on whatever track that was.

The Suzuki is probably the most disappointing in my mind. It's a crazy vehicle built for a crazy (in a good way) driver to drive it at 10/10ths, but that means that a less crazy driver who can't get to more than maybe 8/10ths of vehicle's potential at best constantly ends up understeering in to walls while trying to get one clean pass at a tight hillclimb for the rival challenge. That challenge is certainly going to be a one-and-done for me, I'm not doing it again unless I figure out what I'm doing wrong with that thing. I can handle insane vehicles that oversteer when you do it wrong, understeer just sucks.

edit: djfooboo, I beat your S5 flying lap around Hockenheim from a standing start :smug:. I can't find a map that has the same layout as used in that particular challenge, but I think it was the turn before the Mobil 1 Curve that got you. That one threw me off a few times before I got it right too.

e2: Speaking of rival challenges, is there actually a reason why people seem to be intentionally failing miserably at these? When starting one that I haven't run before, inevitably the first "rival" has a 30+ minute dirty lap and often they veer off in to the wall within seconds of starting the race. Are people competing for the worst spot on the leaderboards or something?

wolrah fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 7, 2011

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

djfooboo posted:

Lol, I drive Hockenheim as little as possible. Not my fave.

Agreed there (though I liked this short version more than the longer one I've run way too much in Career). I just had to rib you a bit about it.

Bentai posted:

Some people are sandbagging events to poopsock money out of rivals mode.

Doesn't the bounty scale with where your rival is on the leaderboards? I get the idea, but the bonus at the lower levels is so low that in the half hour they wasted setting that long time they could have run 4-6 regular races and earned a ton more in the same time.

I sort of do the same while actually competing, if I'm going to beat my rival significantly and the bonus is good I'll sandbag the last few hundred feet to just barely win so I can do that a few more times, but the bonus at the level these people are at is hilariously small.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

T1g4h posted:

Oh dear god. Taking the Fiero, swapping in the G8 engine, centrif. supercharging it, and building it up to S Class turns it into one mental, tail happy little monster. I loving love it :D

I'm running one at S700 with twin turbos and it's brilliant. Without even tuning it I easily beat my 599GTO time around the first Bernese Alps course. That car takes surprisingly well to modifications (and this doesn't help my want for getting a real one).

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Captain Hair posted:

RS200: Has this car been "fixed" since F3? I remember it used to be my go-to car for winning because the acceleration was incredible. Now its kinda sluggish but still good.

AWD PI calculation was broken in FM3, so comparing equal PI cars between the two games anything AWD will be slower in FM4.

Stock vs. stock it should be similar though.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

T1g4h posted:

I still want my P71 / Merc Marauder though :(

Oh yes, an '04 Marauder and a '96 Impala would be brilliant. My lottery win dream garage has a GT-engined Marauder and a LS9 Impala, so I'd love to be able to do it in game.

I'm trying to figure out a way to buy a Fanatec wheel with Amazon credit, I got a shitload of gift cards for Xmas and would love to upgrade from my worn out MS Wheel.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 25, 2011

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Two Finger posted:

Seems to me there are quite a few 'police' cars now. Who's up for, say, a C or B class police race?

Once the Impala shows up I'll be all for it. My Charger is currently A600 and I'll probably be moving it up to S class, but I think I can put an Impala nicely in to B class.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

How do you register for the Hyundai Veloster: FM4 Championship rivals challenge? When I try to access it it says it's "only for registered Forza Motorsport 4 players." Yet it does not give you any instructions on where to register.

Registration closed two days ago. You had to download a gamer picture to enter.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

VERTiG0 posted:

Also this keeps happening to me - I join a race online, and it does the countdown to start, and it goes to the loading screen, then it just sits there for like 2 minutes, and I get dumped back to the lobby but the race has already started without me? What the gently caress? This has happened the past 5 races I just went to join.

Do you have the game installed to the hard drive? I think this means you're taking so long to load that the host considers you timed out and just goes on without you. A worn out DVD drive could easily cause this when playing from the disc.

If you're properly installed and your internet connection doesn't suck, I have no idea.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

General Probe posted:

Now that I think about it though I don't see why they don't let us swap between in house brands like Bentley/VW swaps etc.

I've been wondering that for a while, because it prevents me from putting a LS9 where it may or may not belong; in a Solstice, Fiero, CTS-V, or Typhoon. Why shouldn't the world have a Mini with RWD and a S54B32? The Sport Quattro could be even more insane with a helping of quad-turbo W16 borrowed from Bugatti. For that matter, the Hummer did have a 350 as an engine choice back in its early days, that's close enough to a LS1, right?

wolrah fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 20, 2012

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

PopeOnARope posted:

Or a Miata, or the Ultralight. Hellooo spinning tires in 6th.

Hell, a three rotor Miata can already pretty easily light 'em up north of 200 MPH.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Play Rivals mode. I played mostly career until level 50, then switched almost entirely to competing with friends on rivals mode.

In career I had trouble maintaining a million credits. Even with buying and building a bunch of cars to compete over the last month or so I found myself with 5.2 million credits today, so I bought everything I wanted from the new pack plus a lot of other cars.

If you're any good, you can get to a point where you're making 100k+ every time you beat someone.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

azflyboy posted:

How do you manage that? Every time I've done rivals, I only end up earning about 30-50k per race.

I have a few people on my friends list with whom I am very competitive. That + boredom = plenty of top 1000 times and a few top 100s. You have to go pretty far up the list usually to get to the 150k bounties, but the 100k range never seems to be too hard to reach at which point you can re-run a few times and only have to go up by a few hundredths of a second to get another big bounty.

fuckpot posted:

If multiplayer was a big drawcard for me then I probably would have bought it for that, but still whined and moaned about the lack of rain and floodlights. It's almost as though you guys are okay they left it out and for them to leave it out in future releases. Why is that?

Those features both significantly increase the complexity of simulation and rendering to make them look and feel right at a level that would fit with the game. I'm pretty sure Turn 10 straight out said at one time that the engine could do it, but the framerate would have suffered or something else would have be simplified to make room for it.

Basically the game pushes the limits of the hardware and other features were deemed more important.

I'd like to see weather and night mode as options, as well as proper endurance races, but IMO neither of those are major losses.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

xzzy posted:

Rivals is a great way to improve, and gives you mountains of credits.

Attempting to get a good, clean time in the traffic challenge rivals events is a pretty decent way to learn how to drive fast around idiot pubbies online. Can be frustrating as hell though, so be warned you may find yourself yelling and screaming at a Prius going 13 MPH around a corner with no passing space. It's just like real life roads!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I had started my own car club thinking more of my friends would get the game, but that didn't pan out, so I just sent a request to AUGR as w0lrah. I have a few of you guys on my friends list to compete with on rivals and could always use more.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
The 850 and the Country Squire make it for me.

e:f;b

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I went through the past Forza car lists and found all the Porsches, then cut out the duplicates. If I didn't gently caress something up, these are the 40 Porsches that have been seen in the Forza series so far:

code:
1956	550 A Spyder
1970	914/6
1973	911 Carrera RS
1982	911 Turbo 3.3
1987	959
1987	#17 Racing Porsche AG 962c
1987	911 Turbo 3.3
1989	944 Turbo
1995	911 GT2
1998	#26 Porsche AG 911 GT1-98
1998    911 GT1 Evo "Street Version" (996)*
2000	#23 Alex Job Racing 911GT3-RS 
2002	#57 Larbre McDonalds 996 GT3 Cup
2003	#22 3R-Racing 911 GT3 Cup
2003	Boxster S
2003	Carrera GT
2004	#23 Alex Job Racing 911 GT3-RSR
2004	911 GT3 (996)
2005	#3 Lechner Racing School Team 1 911 GT3 Cup
2005	#31 Peterson-White Lightning 911 GT3-RSR
2005	#44 Flying Lizard 911 GT3-RSR
2005	#5 XBOX 360 911 GT3-RSR
2005	#55 Applied Materials 911 GT3 Cup
2005	#66 AXA Racing 911 GT3 Cup
2006	#81 Synergy Racing 911 GT3 Cup
2006	#82 Red Bull 911 GT3 Cup
2006	Cayman S
2007	#80 Flying Lizard 911 GT3-RSR
2007	911 GT3 (997)
2007    911 GT3 RS*
2007	911 Turbo (997)
2008	#16 Dyson Racing RS Spyder Evo
2008	#2 Gruppe Orange Racing 911 GT3 Cup
2008	#45 Flying Lizard 911 GT3-RSR
2008	#7 Penske Racing RS Spyder Evo
2008	911 GT2 (997)
2009	Cayenne Turbo S
2010    911 Sport Classic*
2010    Boxter S*
2010    Panamera Turbo*
At least seven of these are technically duplicates in that they're the same car with different liveries, so that cuts it to 33 unique year/model combos (30 if you count the '04 and '05 RSRs, '02 and '03 GT3 Cups, or '82 and '87 930 Turbos as the same car, I don't know if that's valid). We're getting 23 of these, so the question is which ones?

edit: Disregard this, both of these were DLC on FM3
Since two of the new-to-the-series spots are confirmed with the 911SC and the '10 Boxter S here's my guesses for the other five spots:

My guesses for four of the seven new-to-series vehicles:

• 2012 991 Carrera S
  • 2011 Cayman R
  • 2011 Panamera Turbo S
  • 2011 Cayenne Turbo

wolrah fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 5, 2012

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

IOwnCalculus posted:

I thought the new SC was in one of the DLC packs for Forza 3?

Also, the '82 and '87 Turbos are arguably duplicates, unless they made one of those a slantnose and I don't think they did.

Correct on both counts. I've added the DLC cars for FM2 and 3 marked with an asterisk. I thought they were in the lists I was using but apparently not.

The '82 was in FM2 and 3, the '87 was in the original. None of them are slantnoses so I added them to the possible dupe list since I'm too lazy to check how the numbers stack up between the two variants.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

Wonder how long it'll be before someone makes a Family Truckster paint for the Country Squire.

Saw this one on the FM.net forum yesterday. It's not a great match to the real one, but sort of fits the feel of the older Country Squire.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Idiot race posted:

Also the 850 has some pretty ballin factory aero

The 850Csi is pretty much an M car (it has a M VIN and the engine has M's S code on it) so it got some of the nice stuff from the M8 prototype (though unfortunately not the 550HP engine).

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
If you're a Wayne's World fan you'll probably like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_3VtGkVx5A

Wrong car, but close enough.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

I said come in! posted:

Original Live servers are long gone. :(

XLink Kai still works for anything that supports LAN play, IIRC most Xbox1 titles still did. It wasn't until the 360 that Live-only multiplayer really caught on.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Pees With Boner posted:

What's the consensus on assists with the controller?

The only assist I vary for controller use is steering. Normal for gamepad, simulation for wheel. Simulation is just too edgy for me without the feedback of the wheel. Lately I've just not played on gamepad, but most people don't have a cockpit in their living room so that's usually not an option.

As for everything else, autoclutch everywhere but drag races and SIARPC, TCS off, STS off, ABS off. The last one took me the longest. I've used manual and STS has been off since day one, TCS I gave up on with FM2, and last ABS when I got the wheel late in FM3.

On another note, I went after the Weismann challenge again since the challenge guy beat my old time and somehow that car just clicked with me. Pulled a nice 1:09.xxx on the 4th or 5th lap with a few botched corners early on. My roommate's ghost led me by up to a few lengths through the first half of the track, so I know there's still some good time left to make up.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 13, 2012

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

Still determined to make drag racing work. anyone interested in a "11's/high 10's class"? Nothing limiting just have your car sit somewhere between 11.6 and 10.6 with regularity and go racing.

Could be fun. Worth a shot at least, it's not like it's hard to build a car to that spec.

quote:

No traction control manual with clutch only.

This does put those with three pedal wheels at a huge advantage on launch for most 2WD cars since the rest of us have to either spin 'em and then regain control or lug the motor off the line. Then again though, I could see why it would be needed just to provide variety, a car that launches well with autoclutch can be almost perfectly consistent if the driver's reaction times aren't terrible.

If only there was a way to make it autoclutch just the launch...

edit: I just remembered a better idea I had the other night about this, they should just let us remap the brake as the clutch in drag races. That way we give up a control which is basically useless in that race type and replace it with something beneficial to have analog control.

edit2: vvv Forza 2 style sounds like a lot more fun.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 15, 2012

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
For the lazy, the cars with PI changes:

• 1980 Abarth 131 Abarth
  • 1965 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GTA Stradale
  • 1971 AMC Javelin-AMX
  • 1969 Chevrolet Camaro SS
  • 1969 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
  • 1970 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
  • 1979 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
  • 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS-454
  • 1960 Chevrolet Corvette
  • 1970 Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1
  • 1966 Chevrolet Nova SS
  • 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
  • 1969 Dodge Charger R/T
  • 1967 Dodge Coronet W023
  • 1968 Dodge Dart HEMI Super Stock
  • 1970 Dodge Coronet Super Bee
  • 1964 Ford Fairlane Thunderbolt
  • 1970 Ford Mustang Boss 429
  • 1978 Ford Mustang King Cobra
  • 1971 Ford Mustang Mach 1
  • 1973 Ford Pinto
  • 1992 Lancia Delta Integrale EVO
  • 1971 Lotus Elan Sprint
  • 1999 Lotus 1999 Lotus Elise Sport
  • 1990 Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.5-16 Evolution II
  • 1954 Mercedes-Benz 300SL Gullwing Coupe
  • 1970 Mercury Cougar Eliminator
  • 1970 Nissan Datsun 510
  • 1968 Pontiac Firebird
  • 1969 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
  • 1977 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
  • 1965 Pontiac GTO
  • 1969 Pontiac GTO Judge
  • 1980 Renault 5 Turbo
  • 2009 Renault Twingo Renault Sport Cup
  • 1968 Shelby GT-500KR
  • 1985 Toyota Sprinter Trueno GT Apex
  • 1984 Volkswagen Rabbit GTI

I have a few of these tuned to the edge of their class, so I'll be interested to see how they've changed.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

YF19pilot posted:

I will have to try this. I've been running the Alfa Spyder, though what I really hate is when two AI cars try to pass each other. It's hard enough as it is to get around these SUVs on this track, but it seems like a purposeful 'gently caress you' when I come around the last corner and have to slam on my brakes (ruining a great run) because there are Hummers 3-wide down the start/finish stretch.

I just got done with about an hour long session on this one and a million times this. I had about 8 laps burned because two SRT-10s and a Hummer would stack up in the final little S thing, leaving absolutely no line. To add insult to injury, the first lap where I could get past them I had a full length on Pope's ghost and a loving Range Rover went for a pass right before the line causing me to leave the track with literally inches to go.

I'm glad it was a shorter track this time though, those long traffic challenges are about the worst thing ever when a retarded move by the AI blows a 3+ minute clean lap.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Falken posted:

Holy crap, the guy in the last segment was SO LUCKY.

I was positive I had just seen video of someone dying, then he just gets up.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

JingleBells posted:

However I've finally beaten greenPandaMeow's 22522 drift score, so I'll get a free car. Ended up using a drift tune on a BMW 2002 of all cars, but it did the job!

If anyone's still working on this one, I tossed my Z3M in the club garage. It was a half-rear end tune, but apparently it does the job.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Nah, the current time isn't amazing.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

FreelanceSocialist posted:

You'd just end up with a bunch of Lotuses with Bugatti Veyron swaps at the top of the charts :(

They don't even need to go that insane to make it a lot better, just open up swaps within manufacturer families. Anyone who's had to deal with trademarks and other IP licensing can see how impossible supporting fully open swaps without getting sued would be. It's still insane though that I can't put a LS9 in a Firebird or a 2JZ-GTE in a SC300 even though the same basic car made by the same company under a different brand offers it.

Hell, I'd be happy with a return to even FM3's level of upgrades. I had a TDI-swapped R8 that I loved and I'm pretty sure I had a 20B Miata which would have made an excellent drift car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Watch for the little "checkpoint" popups that appear in the upper center of the screen. Those tell you when you've completed a section. Anything dirty after the last one will ruin your next lap.

There are a few that are long enough that if you don't realize it immediately it's easy to end up unable to rewind to a clean start.

Warning though about rewinding a screwup on the start of a new lap, if your previous lap was clean it won't be anymore. Many times I've set a new personal best but not beaten my opponent, screwed up the first corner, rewound, and then only after I had started from the rewind did I realize I had just ruined my new time.

• Locked thread