Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Just watched Pontypool and holy poo poo was it awesome. Also watched Lake Mungo today as well and it was pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The Leck posted:

I know nothing about this movie, but I will watch it because you also got excited about poliziotteschi movies being added to instant. That gives you credibility.

Admittedly, I haven't seen many, but what I have seen really makes me wonder why there isn't a lot of modern interest in the genre. The gialli and "spaghetti westerns" are rightfully seen as among the best Westerns and horror films ever made.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
I highly recommend the documentary mentioned earlier, Pulling John. It is one of my favorite documentaries ever and cannot recommend it anymore.

Can anyone recommend any fantasy movies, perhaps in the style of LOTR?

Shadley Puffin
Aug 13, 2011

DOWN WITH GRAVITY

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Admittedly, I haven't seen many, but what I have seen really makes me wonder why there isn't a lot of modern interest in the genre. The gialli and "spaghetti westerns" are rightfully seen as among the best Westerns and horror films ever made.

If nothing else, much as gialli gave us awesome titles like The Bird with the Crystal Plumage and Twitch of the Death Nerve, poliziotteschi has blessed us with perhaps the greatest title in film history: Live Like a Cop, Die Like a Man.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Doomsday Jesus posted:

Conan the Barbarian and Highlander are on there for cheesy action fantasy.

Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, and The Storyteller are on there for a triple dip of Jim Henson fantasy.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Doomsday Jesus posted:

I highly recommend the documentary mentioned earlier, Pulling John. It is one of my favorite documentaries ever and cannot recommend it anymore.

You may like Valhalla Rising, but it may be way too dark, violent, and surreal for your likes. It takes place in the time of the crusades and follows a silent (mute? Not sure, but he doesn't talk the entire movie) free slave. It required multiple viewings and several internet searches to "get", but I liked it that much and I'll probably see it a few more times, even buy it on blu when netflix takes it off streaming.

Erik the Viking is good fun about a viking who's not into raping and pillaging and is in search for truth. By one of the guys from Monty Python.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
Valhalla Rising is good but recommending it as a "fantasy movie, perhaps in the style of LOTR"? That's like recommending Solaris for someone looking for more Star Wars.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Monkeyseesaw posted:

Valhalla Rising is good but recommending it as a "fantasy movie, perhaps in the style of LOTR"? That's like recommending Solaris for someone looking for more Star Wars.

Haha okay, you're right. Maybe just consider a general dark/cerebral/viking movie recommendation then.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Monkeyseesaw posted:

I still don't know what the hell to think about valhalla rising. I enjoyed it but the enjoyment went down the longer the movie went on.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

I agree. It was such a slow burn that eventually the fire just went out and nobody noticed.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

I guess I should have been more specific. I am really wanting to see some movies based in the medieval times and if they contain fantasy elements that would be even better.

I will check out Vahalla Rising for sure!

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Okay then let's try this one:

Black Death: Sean Bean is a holy man on a quest (crusade) to kill a witch in a village untouched by the plague. Dark, gritty, and voilent. And it has that dude from Pillars of the Earth in it too, playing a monk.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Black Death: Sean Bean is a holy man on a quest (crusade) to kill a witch in a village untouched by the plague. Dark, gritty, and voilent. And it has that dude from Pillars of the Earth in it too, playing a monk.

I have seen that one and enjoyed it. Thanks for the recommendation though. I think I will be watching The Wonder Years tonight.

Francesca
Aug 15, 2005

his vocal chords were made of gold
he just looked a little too old

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I was bored over the summer and watched it by myself on a lark, expecting it to be pretty bad, or at least mediocre and heavy-handed. I was really surprised by how well it worked on several levels. Check it out!

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Just finished Pontypool and still googling for some sort of coherent explanation to settle my :wtf:

It gave me the same feeling that I had after I watched Bug, as in: I enjoyed it and it had some real moments but again, :wtf: (I liked it)

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Just finished Pontypool and still googling for some sort of coherent explanation to settle my :wtf:

Me too. I liked it a lot, but I kinda hated the "cause" twist.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

It gave me the same feeling that I had after I watched Bug, as in: I enjoyed it and it had some real moments but again, :wtf: (I liked it)

What did you not understand? I thought it was one of the most clever horror plots I'd ever seen.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Pontypool was really, really good until the doctor ex machina showed up and then fffarrrrrrt

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

weekly font posted:

Pontypool was really, really good until the doctor ex machina showed up and then fffarrrrrrt

I don't think you quite know what a deus ex machina is.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

maxnmona posted:

What did you not understand? I thought it was one of the most clever horror plots I'd ever seen.

It's not that I didn't understand it, I guess it just seemed a little thrown together. It's such a new and interesting idea, maybe the writer or director was in a little over his head. I did like it a lot though.

Still, reminded me of Bug.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

maxnmona posted:

I don't think you quite know what a deus ex machina is.

I do I just thought it was a cute pun. :shobon:

Seriously there aren't many movies that fall apart so spectacularly like Pontypool.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

weekly font posted:

I do I just thought it was a cute pun. :shobon:

Seriously there aren't many movies that fall apart so spectacularly like Pontypool.

Ok, I was just confused because while the Doctor may be there entirely to explain the plot, he was manifestly not a deus ex machina.

How did you feel it fell apart? Did you want it to be a straight-forward zombie movie? Personally I am absolutely sick of zombies and ready to never see another zombie again, so the cool language idea and the things that sprang from it (the repeating of phrases, the word games to save the world, the having to speak in bad French) were what made the movie worth watching.

The only thing I didn't understand at all was that weird post-credits vignette, but I think that was an inside joke or something.

Blompkin
Mar 31, 2006

Take care

Jekyll

Netflix recommended this miniseries to me, and despite some ridiculous plot twists and a couple of mediocre performances from the supporting cast, I really liked it, especially for James Nesbitt's performance as both Jekyll and Hyde.

Until the second episode, I honestly didn't believe it was the same actor playing both roles. The change is so dramatic, not really with appearance, but with his personality, that I can barely believe it. James Nesbitt is a better actor than I realized.

It's easily my favorite adaptation of 'Jekyll and Hyde', and one of the only ones to make Hyde as sympathetic as Jekyll, perhaps even more so.

The first episode really makes you wait before revealing Hyde, but it's definitely worth it.

Colin and Brad: Two Man Group

From the TV series 'Who's Line is it Anyway', Colin Mochrie and Brad Sherwood do a two man improv show. If you ever get the chance to see these two perform live, do it, but the DVD is the next best thing. Absolutely hilarious from start to finish.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Blompkin posted:

Jekyll

Netflix recommended this miniseries to me, and despite some ridiculous plot twists and a couple of mediocre performances from the supporting cast, I really liked it, especially for James Nesbitt's performance as both Jekyll and Hyde.

Until the second episode, I honestly didn't believe it was the same actor playing both roles. The change is so dramatic, not really with appearance, but with his personality, that I can barely believe it. James Nesbitt is a better actor than I realized.

It's easily my favorite adaptation of 'Jekyll and Hyde', and one of the only ones to make Hyde as sympathetic as Jekyll, perhaps even more so.

The first episode really makes you wait before revealing Hyde, but it's definitely worth it.

I've been wondering about this for a while. How does the writing feel compared to the other Moffat efforts? Is it as well written as, say, A Study in Pink from Sherlock?

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

I've been wondering about this for a while. How does the writing feel compared to the other Moffat efforts? Is it as well written as, say, A Study in Pink from Sherlock?

It's definitely my least favorite Moffat tv thing. It has some clever plot twists and structural stuff, like you'd expect from Moffat, but nothing amazing. And I have to disagree with that guy. I thought that James Nesbitt was awful in the role. His Jekyll was mopey and his Hyde was basically a very bad imitation of Jim Carrey at his most annoying.

The show is still watchable, but Nesbitt really brought it down.

Blompkin
Mar 31, 2006

Take care

maxnmona posted:

It's definitely my least favorite Moffat tv thing. It has some clever plot twists and structural stuff, like you'd expect from Moffat, but nothing amazing. And I have to disagree with that guy. I thought that James Nesbitt was awful in the role. His Jekyll was mopey and his Hyde was basically a very bad imitation of Jim Carrey at his most annoying.

The show is still watchable, but Nesbitt really brought it down.

Really? I thought the opposite. Oh well, to each their own.

Sherlock is better in many ways (especially writing), but I can't get over the weird homoerotic undertones in the show that makes fangirls (like my sister, fellow forums member wanderingknitter) swoon over it. It's still good, but I liked Jekyll better, overall.

Blompkin fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 4, 2011

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

maxnmona posted:

Ok, I was just confused because while the Doctor may be there entirely to explain the plot, he was manifestly not a deus ex machina.

How did you feel it fell apart? Did you want it to be a straight-forward zombie movie? Personally I am absolutely sick of zombies and ready to never see another zombie again, so the cool language idea and the things that sprang from it (the repeating of phrases, the word games to save the world, the having to speak in bad French) were what made the movie worth watching.

The only thing I didn't understand at all was that weird post-credits vignette, but I think that was an inside joke or something.

No, I'm not sure I needed it to be a straight-forward zombie movie, in fact I'm glad it wasn't. But just how you enjoyed the language thing I kind of hated it, especially with the killkisskillkiss stuff. For a while I even liked the idea of language being used to spread the rage virus but it also felt like they wrote themselves into a corner and didn't really know where to go with it. Because of this, especially compared to how strong the first half hour is, I don't love it.

jlechem
Nov 2, 2011

Fun Shoe

Alien vs. Ninja

I don't even know where to start with this one. All I know is it ends with a motherfucking alien dinosaur going Jon Woo on a ninja.

Planet of the Vampires

A very old old school sci-fi movie I absolutely loved. None of this new fangled in your face action. A moody character driven movie. Being the sci-fi nerd I am I totally loved it.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I just saw that Kevin Smith's Red State is up for streaming. I didn't really expect that, since last I heard of it, it was on demand for like $20 or whatever.

Didn't we have a thread about Red State, by the way? I can't find it.

Chew Toy
Nov 28, 2010

I'm unhappy, Jon.
If you're looking for a good slasher from the golden era of slashers, Maniac! is streaming. It's a slasher film shot from the viewpoint of a schizophrenic murderer wandering around New York.

In a similar vein is Cruising. It's not a slasher but rather an early eighties crime drama starring a young Al Pacino who goes undercover in NYC's leather district to find a serial killer. A bit of a slow burn but it throws in enough kills to keep you interested.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I just saw that Kevin Smith's Red State is up for streaming. I didn't really expect that, since last I heard of it, it was on demand for like $20 or whatever.

I feel like I'm the only person who was underwhelmed by Red State. It was extremely preachy and the ending was bleh to the point of completely ruining what little the rest of the film had to offer.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Yes but it mostly devolved into lol kevin smith fat. I think the wide consensus on Red State was that it failed at almost everything it tried but started off okay?

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

weekly font posted:

No, I'm not sure I needed it to be a straight-forward zombie movie, in fact I'm glad it wasn't. But just how you enjoyed the language thing I kind of hated it, especially with the killkisskillkiss stuff. For a while I even liked the idea of language being used to spread the rage virus but it also felt like they wrote themselves into a corner and didn't really know where to go with it. Because of this, especially compared to how strong the first half hour is, I don't love it.

I really liked it, but I do agree that after the doctor showed up, it took a bit of a dip in quality. I still enjoyed it all the way to the end, but once things started being explained, it takes a lot of the suspense out of it. I would have preferred no explanations at all, and just let the audience keep saying, "what the gently caress is happening?" all the way to the credits.

Still, I thought it was really good, and you're right, the first 30-45 minutes is just awesome.

Red State was kind of a mixed bag for me. It started out okay, with some shady acting, but had potential, and I thought it had some good ideas. Then it went a little too over-the-top a little too fast, and the ending information dump monologue was just completely horrible and unnecessary. The things that needed explaining easily could have been shown to us briefly, not spelled out in detail in a tacked-on scene. So I think it had potential, but overall I didn't like it. But then again, I haven't liked a Kevin Smith film in over a decade

Edit: vvv Yes.

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 5, 2011

Chew Toy
Nov 28, 2010

I'm unhappy, Jon.

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

I really liked it, but I do agree that after the doctor showed up, it took a bit of a dip in quality. I still enjoyed it all the way to the end, but once things started being explained, it takes a lot of the suspense out of it. I would have preferred no explanations at all, and just let the audience keep saying, "what the gently caress is happening?" all the way to the credits.

Still, I thought it was really good, and you're right, the first 30-45 minutes is just awesome.

Red State was kind of a mixed bag for me. It started out okay, with some shady acting, but had potential, and I thought it had some good ideas. Then it went a little too over-the-top a little too fast, and the ending information dump monologue was just completely horrible and unnecessary. The things that needed explaining easily could have been shown to us briefly, not spelled out in detail in a tacked-on scene. So I think it had potential, but overall I didn't like it. But then again, I haven't liked a Kevin Smith film in over a decade

Kevin Smith really should have hung up his belt after Dogma because nothing he has made since then has been worth the price of admission.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Re State was average. I read the wikipedia page on it and he detailed the ending he originally had with it actually being the rapture, and the church people essentially being slain by a sword wielding angel. It sounded a lot better than what actually happens in the movie.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Clerks 2 is by no means a great movie, but I laughed and I thought seeing it on opening night really made it 1000x more enjoyable.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

sportsgenius86 posted:

Clerks 2 is by no means a great movie, but I laughed and I thought seeing it on opening night really made it 1000x more enjoyable.

Clerks 2 was terrible and almost did enough to make Clerks a lesser film.

Orunitier
Dec 5, 2010

Doomsday Jesus posted:

Re State was average. I read the wikipedia page on it and he detailed the ending he originally had with it actually being the rapture, and the church people essentially being slain by a sword wielding angel. It sounded a lot better than what actually happens in the movie.

Well that explains why the Netflix synopsis said, "Supernatural Force".

Annnd I just looked on there and they already took that line out...

That's like the Lake Mungo one. It reads like Poltergeist, but the movie is a faux documentary slow burn. I didn't like the movie too well because I was expecting something else.

Netflix posted:

Lake Mungo

When a series of inexplicable supernatural events strikes their home, Russell (David Pledger) and June (Rosie Traynor) Palmer try to figure out exactly what is behind the tragic drowning death of Alice (Talia Zucker), their 16-year-old daughter. A psychic (Steve Jodrell) might be able to help them. Joel Anderson writes and directs this psychological thriller; Martin Sharpe, Scott Terrill and Tamara Donnellan co-star.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Orunitier posted:

That's like the Lake Mungo one. It reads like Poltergeist, but the movie is a faux documentary slow burn. I didn't like the movie too well because I was expecting something else.

This was exactly the same way my fiance and I felt after watching Lake Mungo. In regards to Pontypool. We both enjoyed that movie as well. Very creepy and I'm glad we watched it :) All the stuff before the doctor shows up was super creepy.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Kind of in the same vein as The Wild and Wonderful Whites..., Brother's Keeper is a documentary about some elderly, illiterate brothers who have lived their entire lives in a two room rotting shack. It's not "funny" like TWWWoWV is. It isn't funny at all. The documentary, at its core, is about one of the brothers being charged with murdering another, and how the community accepts them and defends them, even though they've always been outcasts, because they see it as an unfair and unjust system coming after one of their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
The source of everyone's favorite Hitler meme is on Netflix streaming now, Downfall. I watched it last night and thought it was pretty good. The movie dramatizes the last weeks of Hitler's life as Berlin falls to the Russians and Hitler's hold on power collapses. The movie is pretty depressing--it's basically 2.5 hours of watching people await and meet their inevitable death.

• Locked thread